Ms. Stratton's Privileges

State correction officials are wrong to give Jessie G. Stratton special treatment in prison. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bill

New Bedford, MA

#1 Nov 2, 2008
"We sincerely regret Ms. Stratton's circumstances."

Do you think the Courant would give a Republican this kind of sympathetic judgment? No.

This paper makes me sick.

Cancel the Courant.
Lisa

Rye, NY

#3 Nov 2, 2008
Stratton enjoyed special treatment because of her political connections, which the Rell administration evidently condones.
Fed Up

Waterbury, CT

#4 Nov 3, 2008
Let's do Ms. Stratton a favor. She would be much more comfortable if more Democrats were tried, convicted and jailed. This should be a top priority in the post-election period. There are plenty of candidates who deserve to be jailed for their deception of the public and mishandling of their responsibilities.

Actually, Governor Rell and her Chief of Staff would also be good candidates to join her at York. Maybe they could all room together.
Bill

New Britain, CT

#5 Nov 3, 2008
Wow. Realllllllllly slow newsday at the courant for this to make the opinion page. If they routinely waive the rules to accomodate some prisoners, what's the big deal? Lay off her already and find something important to write about.
Good Grief

Waterbury, CT

#6 Nov 3, 2008
Bill wrote:
Wow. Realllllllllly slow newsday at the courant for this to make the opinion page. If they routinely waive the rules to accomodate some prisoners, what's the big deal? Lay off her already and find something important to write about.
Abuse of authority isn't noteworthy to you?

You must be a moron. Why don't you stop reading the paper and rely on talk radio for your news? It seems to be all you can handle.
Sheepdog

Winsted, CT

#7 Nov 3, 2008
Who cares?????
Sheepdog

Winsted, CT

#8 Nov 3, 2008
I still haven't seen the Slurrant's front page story of Senator Dudd now being the center of a Justice Department investigation for his sweetheart mortgage deals.

What's up with that, Slurrant?
Imagine no religion

Hartford, CT

#9 Nov 3, 2008
Sheepdog wrote:
I still haven't seen the Slurrant's front page story of Senator Dudd now being the center of a Justice Department investigation for his sweetheart mortgage deals.
What's up with that, Slurrant?
I think that was on the front page in the earlier part of last week. I guess you didn't see the paper that day.
peterd

Hartford, CT

#10 Nov 3, 2008
she should have to comply with the same rules as all other similarly situated inmates. there is nothing else to say.
researchguy

Hartford, CT

#11 Nov 3, 2008
Why is the Courant doing such a hatchet job on a former state official? She is no longer an elected official and deservers the same privacy as other citizens. This screams of yellow journalism.

Jessi Stratton is now a private citizen who is going through a difficult time of battling a likely addiction. A battle that the Courant apparently wants her to lose or at least make more difficult by splashing headlines all over the state. Does the Courant have no moral compass left? Did they lay off their conscience along with several great journalists during their last round of layoffs? Jessi deserves our sympathy and support, which her friends seem to find in their heart to offer. She does not deserve the Courant’s scorn.
Sheepdog

Winsted, CT

#12 Nov 3, 2008
Imagine no religion wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that was on the front page in the earlier part of last week. I guess you didn't see the paper that day.
I guess not, I apologize, my faux pas! Sorry slurrant!
UConn2000

New Milford, CT

#13 Nov 3, 2008
Ms. Stratton does not deserve the public's or the Courant's sympathy. She was convicted THREE times for drunk driving. Thank goodness she did not kill anyone with her irresponsible behavior. She should be incarcerated for longer than four months. For anyone who disagrees with me, please attend a MADD meeting (Mothers Against Drunk Driving), and hear about some of the family tragedies caused by drunk drivers.
Mr Magoo

Eastham, MA

#14 Nov 3, 2008
Have I missed any statement from the Governor here on this issue. I would think a memo from her office stating that she will conduct an internal investigation to determine if special privaledges have been granted and she is instructing DOC to abid by their written rules until the investigation is completed.
DJH

United States

#15 Nov 3, 2008
researchguy wrote:
Jessi Stratton is now a private citizen who is going through a difficult time of battling a likely addiction.
She may be a private citizen, but evidently, powerful folks are pulling strings for her. She is not entitled to this. As for having a difficult time with her addiction, she IS free to drink all she wants ... but she is NOT free to do so and then drive. Apparently this principle is not getting through to her. Addiction does not excuse that she will not stop drinking & driving.
researchguy wrote:
A battle that the Courant apparently wants her to lose or at least make more difficult by splashing headlines all over the state.
So far nothing has helped her stop her habit of drinking & driving. Perhaps public embarassment will do the trick?
researchguy wrote:
Does the Courant have no moral compass left?
I dunno ... Ms Stratton appears to have none, however. I find the morality of someone who places her desire to drink over the safety of herself and everyone else on the road, to be lacking, at the very least, and nonexistent at worst.
researchguy wrote:
Jessi deserves our sympathy and support, which her friends seem to find in their heart to offer. She does not deserve the Courant’s scorn.
After a third drinking & driving conviction, Ms Stratton more than deserves every bit of scorn and contempt that she gets. Being gentle with her, and keeping her transgressions relatively quiet, obviously has not helped. Maybe publicity will get her to understand that she should not drink & drive? Maybe?
bill

Hartford, CT

#16 Nov 3, 2008
She should be banned from drinking for life - she has proved that she can't handle alcohol. Her liver would be happy.
Kevin

Jamaica Plain, MA

#17 Nov 3, 2008
The Rell Administration is rife with favoritism and preferential treatment like this for the politically connected. Stratton is just exploiting that to her advantage.
true grit

Hartford, CT

#18 Nov 3, 2008
Stratton moved into her Hartford townhouse in 2005 the same time frame when Chris Dodd got his sweet-heart mortgage deal at Country Wide. I wonder where Stratton got her mortgage?
Muffy Pitts

Somers, CT

#19 Nov 3, 2008
With all the problems in this country, who really cares if some drunk state legislator is getting too many visitors. Honestly. How about focusing on the country's wretched healthcare system, failing economy, lousy schools, crumbling infrastructure, or the fact that the Red Sox did not make it to the World Series this year.
VOTE YES ON TUESDAY

Orange, CT

#20 Nov 3, 2008
Pass the word to one and all. We have a chance this year to take government back from the real criminals in this state, the politicians. VOTE YES FOR A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION. The only people against this are the corrupt politicians and their friends the lobbyists. The lobbyists can't control us like the corrupt politicians. Remember how JODI was going to clean up the state. Remember how the criminals refused to pass legislation taking away pensions from criminals like Johnny Boy. And remember the KELO case where our corrupt Supreme Court Justices allowed an old woman’s home to be taken for fat cats connected with Johnny Boy and what was built there/ NOTHING.

VOTE ON ELECTION DAY FOR A MAJOR CHANGE PASS THE WORD
Walter

Durham, CT

#21 Nov 3, 2008
VOTE YES ON TUESDAY wrote:
Pass the word to one and all. We have a chance this year to take government back from the real criminals in this state, the politicians. VOTE YES FOR A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION. The only people against this are the corrupt politicians and their friends the lobbyists. The lobbyists can't control us like the corrupt politicians. Remember how JODI was going to clean up the state. Remember how the criminals refused to pass legislation taking away pensions from criminals like Johnny Boy. And remember the KELO case where our corrupt Supreme Court Justices allowed an old woman’s home to be taken for fat cats connected with Johnny Boy and what was built there/ NOTHING.
VOTE ON ELECTION DAY FOR A MAJOR CHANGE PASS THE WORD
Hear, Hear. I agree. Vote early and vote often.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dionkie blows (Aug '13) 17 hr Truth 340
What is the #1 Walsh Accomplishment (Jan '10) 17 hr Kundrot dionkie 496
Doink Rules (May '14) 23 hr Doink C 137
stoughton forum (May '13) Nov 21 Kundrot dionkie 23
Seeking Owner of Lost Class Ring (Jan '06) Nov 17 Kundrot dionkie 531
Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) Nov 16 Kundrot dionkie 222
What do you like best about CW??? (Jul '10) Nov 12 Kundrot dionkie 1,313

Avon News Video

Avon Dating
Find my Match