Recession Has Hidden Benefits For Har...

Recession Has Hidden Benefits For Hardware Stores In Farmington...

There are 4 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 25, 2009, titled Recession Has Hidden Benefits For Hardware Stores In Farmington.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

If you want to understand the recession of 2009, the go-to man in the Farmington Valley is Mark Riley.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

nostalgia

Simsbury, CT

#1 Apr 25, 2009
It's wonderful to see the small businesses doing well. Keeping business within the community is a win win situation. I frequent Larson's Hardware a lot. The people who work there help me with so many projects and it saves me the gas of driving all the way to Home Depot where I can't find a thing and there is no one to help. I don't know what I'd do without them.
Duke

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#2 Apr 25, 2009
Any similar "handyman" services in the Wallingford-Meriden area?!
Homeowner

Dallas, TX

#3 Apr 25, 2009
Agreed. Today I was in and out of my local hardware store in five minutes
and bought a bag of fertilizer for less than the big box store was selling it for.

Since: Jul 07

Canton

#4 Apr 26, 2009
It's nice to see/hear that people are doing yardwork themselves for a change. But buying the smaller bags of fertilizer is stupid, from an economic standpoint. You get a better deal with the larger bags, but I suppose if Biff & Muffy aren't used to doing hands-on work, they don't care about saving a couple of bucks to lift those horrible, "heavy" 30 lb. bags. Oh, dear.
As for the local hardware stores doing better - that's great news. The only down side to them is that in the Valley, they're pricier than if you go just up the road on Rt. 44 into New Hartford to Tractor Supply, which is where I go to get most of my yard needs (not a paid endorsement, just passing the info along). Warning to the delicate hands people - this is a blue collar store and ain't much in the "fancy" department.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay Marriage (Mar '09) Aug 20 newsb 482
Vote for Hillary Aug 18 GetReal 2
News More Advice On Acura TL Transmission Failures A... (Apr '09) Aug 17 Justin 2002 tl s 314
Strange woman on Unionville Bridge? (Jul '10) Aug 12 Eva 8
Board of Selectmen Meeting August 8, 2016 My co... Aug 8 joan coe 1
Charter Revision Commission Meeting August 1, 2... Aug 1 Joan Coe 1
Charter Revision Commission Meeting July 25, 2016 Jul '16 Joan Coe 1

Avon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Avon Mortgages