Enrollment Shift Could Burden Farmington Valley Towns

The Farmington Valley has long been regarded as the Vatican of private education. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tommy

Ware, MA

#21 Mar 25, 2009
FV Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
The private schools wouldn't take 80% of the public students. They are too difficult to educate.
It would be most embarrassing to teachers' and administrators' unions if private schools took any number of those "too difficult to educate" and did educate them. BTW, by "too difficult to educate," are you too politically cowered to say blacks and hispanics? I think so; what a pity.
Travis chimp steak

Jersey City, NJ

#22 Mar 25, 2009
bus them in wrote:
Maybe bus them to Hartford schools and appease Sheff! Then diversity quotas would work and the princesses would get a nice reality check, if not a subsidy check.
Yea, turn them into feral animals, with no respect, and put "yo" into their vocabulary. Nice.
justyouraveragej oe

Canton, CT

#23 Mar 25, 2009
It might be very healthy for the public schools to see an influx of private school students. Parents of students in private school are accustomed to two expectations that are alien to the public schools: 1) that schools, administrators and teachers have some accountability to parents and students, and 2) that if parents want frills for their students, they have to pay for them. A very different mindset than the public schools where there is no accountability and parents demand endless spending on behalf of their kids because they aren't paying for any meaningful portion of it.
the truth

United States

#24 Mar 25, 2009
oh.........you poor rich snobs/snots hoyty toty upper class, boo hoo you cant afford your snotty private schools, i am so sad for you ivy league degenerates..........OUT OF THE PALACE AND INTO THE DITCH !!!! HA HA
the truth

United States

#25 Mar 25, 2009
Mike wrote:
So let me get this straight, the wealthy are all evil and we cheer when we see their lifestyle's effected by the economic downturn, but we are concerned that they now maybe looking to use puiblic institutions which have been financed in part by their taxes? What a connundrumam
eat the rich eat the rich out of the palace and into the ditch !
Hrtfrd frst grd teachr

Quincy, MA

#26 Mar 25, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
But the education would be much better.
It wouldn't be "better" it would be more controlled because you can kick out ANY student you want to and control the population that way, therefore increasing the amount of teaching time instead of havung to deal with behavior. You STILL have to find a place for those lower performing students to go to school.
I will never understand how people claim the voucher system will cure everything. All it will do is increase the mess, not eliminate it. And have you ever thought about the cost of BUSSING these students everywhere!? No, of course you haven't.
Taxed to Death

Norwich, CT

#27 Mar 26, 2009
WH resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Private schools' tuition is easily $25K and up per year.
The amount it costs to educate a student is not arrived at using the formula I proposed. Try it and see exactly what numbers you get!
Taxed to Death

Norwich, CT

#28 Mar 26, 2009
FV Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
The private schools wouldn't take 80% of the public students. They are too difficult to educate.
Probably some enterprising educators would go into business providing such schools. Oh...the free market is all but dead at this point. Never mind.
bam bam

Manchester, CT

#29 Mar 26, 2009
This article is nonsense. If the parents who are sending their kids to private schools are ALSO paying taxes to fund the public schools, then the "savings" that each town is realizing should be used to pay for the transferred students. It's a wash.
Brooke

Fairfield, CT

#30 Mar 26, 2009
no way wrote:
<quoted text>
If anybody wants to bus the kids that live in Simsbury out of towm they are in for a fight. i moved here from the city for the school system and pay high taxes for this. No one should be bussed in from any other towns to utilize our schools unless they pay for it.
Under teh terms of the Sheff resolution, there will also be the additional studetns coming in from Hartford - a remedy that not only will cost lots but more importatnly past experience in other parts of the country has proven it to be of no benefit to the students in the city that it intends to help - in fact the data shows that their academic performance actually declined (Kansas City, also Prince George's county Maryland, two shing examples)- so its too bad when the funds could better help the sutdenets with effective intervention programs where they are needed instead of on filling the tanks of the school buses and having children move all over the place.
EduCrazy

Granby, CT

#31 Mar 26, 2009
The public schools in the Farmington Valley dread the return of private school students because they know those students will be at least one to two grade levels ahead of their age peers. Other parents might realize that the public schools are only good at self-promotion. How would Simsbury or Canton or Granby handle a bunch of kids showing up that are actually ahead of their teachers? The lie would be exposed.
must go

Glastonbury, CT

#32 Mar 27, 2009
hey get them hartford kids, nice crowd willing to learn and very goal oriented.
MattBahresux

Westwood, NJ

#33 Mar 27, 2009
Kind of off the subject, but did you folks know that Barlow is still working on the hydroelectric project WITHOUT having a meeting to let the townspeople know what's going on? Pretty sneaky, Mr. Barlow! Seems like "Business as usual" in YOUR administration. I thought the backdoor dealings and lying to the public went out with Mary!
You won't allow affordable housing, but you're more than willing to dump money down the Farmington River!!
(Oh, and how long is Matt Bahre's crap GOING to sit on Hart's Corner? Talk about an eyesore!)
RinkerFan Not

Hartford, CT

#34 Mar 27, 2009
the "Vatican" of private education? Hey Rinker, what were you thinking with the word Vatican? Some alternatives, and I came up with these and I didn't even attend one of pedigree schools:

headquarters, heart, hub, axis, bull's-eye, centrum, core, focus
FV Parent

Hamden, CT

#35 Mar 27, 2009
Tommy wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be most embarrassing to teachers' and administrators' unions if private schools took any number of those "too difficult to educate" and did educate them. BTW, by "too difficult to educate," are you too politically cowered to say blacks and hispanics? I think so; what a pity.
The "too difficult to educate" are the students who have a poor attitude and a disrespect for education, who expect high grades and honors without working for them. Judging from the comments about public school teachers in some of the comments posted, it is obvious that they have developed that attitude from their parents.It has nothing to do with race. It is a pity you would think that it did.
Hmmmm

Hartford, CT

#36 Mar 30, 2009
Can't afford the schools.

Can't afford U-Conn.

We're all in this together.

It's not every man for himself like the conservatives think.
Proud Teacher in CT

Avon, CT

#37 Mar 30, 2009
Isic wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the people sending their kids to private schools still have to pay their entire tax bill (paying for publis schools)even though their kids do not attend public schools. Why doesn't the town pay for their private education? Answer, There wouldn't be a single student in public schools if given a school choice.
Why? Because teachers in private schools do not have to hold certification and are not held to the standards that they would be in public schools?? It's a nice job for someone who doesn't have to have an education degree...no mandated rules for Special Education, no need to follow IEP's and take care of special needs kids, and if the kids don't behave, you can just KICK THEM OUT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Nostalgic Trip Back To The North End's 'Old N... (Jul '09) Mon David_H- 5
News More Advice On Acura TL Transmission Failures A... (Apr '09) Sun transmission problem 284
News MySpace In Sex Assault Probe (Feb '06) Sun max 423
Board of Education Meeting March 24, 2015 My Co... Mar 25 Joan Coe 1
Board of Selectmen Meeting March 23, 2015 Part 2 Mar 23 Joan Coe 1
Board of Selectmen Meeting March 23, 2015 Part 1 Mar 23 Joan Coe 1
Board of Selectmen Meeting March 9, 2015 My Com... Mar 10 Joan Coe 1
Avon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Avon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]