Plan Would Put Collinsville Dams Back...

Plan Would Put Collinsville Dams Back To Work

There are 112 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 13, 2009, titled Plan Would Put Collinsville Dams Back To Work. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Waste gate controls sit idle and are covered with snow at the upper dam and powerhouse on the Farmington River in Collinsville, unused and deteriorating since they ceased producing power in the 1960s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
incorrect

Woodside, NY

#111 Jan 30, 2009
Agnes Moorehead wrote:
<quoted text>
The statewide Rails to Trails project was an incredibly short sighted waste of time & money. Sure, they're pretty & fun, but pretty & fun won't get you to work in the winter, or get goods to merchants in the energy strapped future. Which is "greener"? Getting trucks & cars off the road, or rollerblading by the river? But have no fear, I doubt they'll consider touching that scared cow until it becomes critical. Awhile back some joker had an article here about using the Trail to get to work-for who? Where? Maybe if you're an intrepid 25 year old whose job is two towns over. Otherwise, fugettaboutit!
I don't mean to attack you here JCB, but there are bigger concerns on the horizon than whether or not the Trails will be available for jogging, biking and walking yer dog. Like how are we going to move goods & people effectively when oil goes back up again.
You are ignoring the fact that the rails to trails exist for more than just recreation and the occasional commuter. First, they are a strong quality of life selling point for the region - the Collinsville section is routinely packed in the spring/summer/fall and you even get skiers in the winter. Second, they are an economic boost to small towns like collinsville whose businesses get lots of business from bikers during the summer months - just go and see all the bikers enjoying a drink at LaSalle.

Even if the trails were only for recreation, wouldn't that be enough? Many people enjoy having recreational assets within walking distance and want our towns to improve our quality of life.
cantonite

Woodside, NY

#112 Jan 30, 2009
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your insightful post. You should be on an advisory committee for this project. Which I think is the first thing Canton needs to do.
canton already has a committee - the temporary energy task force...you really need to do more research before you post...
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

#113 Feb 2, 2009
incorrect wrote:
<quoted text>
FRWA and the FRCC (the river coordinating committee) are supporting the project. If the dams are built and fish ladders installed, it will be a huge benefit to the river ecosystem and outdoor recreation.
They will support it only if their needs are met. These groups are not willing to negotiate with any improvements along any stretch of the Farmington River. Talking from experience.
coalcampkid

West Des Moines, IA

#115 Jan 16, 2010
Find out if any of your power is generated using coal.
Take a look at Blair Mountain West virginia,and google any mountain top removal site.
An already existing dam system is better than blasting away a mountain for electricity.

“Planning Consultant Architects”

Since: Sep 11

London, UK

#117 Sep 13, 2011
4D Planning

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

#118 Sep 22, 2011
totally agree with the above.

http://www.4dplanning.com
4D Planning

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

#119 Sep 22, 2011
totally agree with the above

http://www.4dplanning.com
Tater

United States

#120 Nov 10, 2011
Are there instructions on how the fish should use these ladders? Do these ladders have appropriate non skid steps? If a fish were to fall off of the ladder, who wou
D be responsible for said fishes injuries?
Amit Patel

Saint Albans, UK

#122 Apr 26, 2012
Manu

Rochdale, UK

#123 Oct 16, 2012
I totally agree with the conclusion of this article.
http://www.manchesterplanners.co.uk
Netanya

Rochdale, UK

#124 Oct 16, 2012
Kimbra Siska

Ashburn, VA

#127 Sep 7, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/nys3cmf

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elliot Zweig, MD - West Hartford CT Jul 20 Walter Dejanec 1
Strange woman on Unionville Bridge? (Jul '10) Jul 19 ccCatLady125 7
Bord of Selectmen Meeting July, 11, 2016 My Com... Jul 11 joan coe 1
News Father of Squantz Pond drowning victim held in ... (Jan '08) Jul 7 Rev D 41
News WFSB Meteorologist Scot Haney and Anchorwoman I... (Mar '09) Jul 6 joe walsh 28
Recently Ripped Off by Rick Repko. (Apr '09) Jun 28 FEC 23
Board of Selectmen Meeting june 27, 2016 My Com... Jun 27 joan coe 1

Avon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Avon Mortgages