School district turns to Congressman Murphy

Full story: WNYT Albany

In the midst of a budget crunch, the Averill Park school district is asking Congressman Scott Murphy for help.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

Judged:

close george washington school, and get rid of Jo and her assistant!
Top Jimmy

Bangor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

How about they stop wasting money. When Districts, as well as government offices have surplus, they spend it instead of saving it. If they don't spend it, they can't say they need it the following year, in that budget proposal. Cut some of the Sports then. What percent of the schools population actulally plays? Otherwise let everyone play, No cuts.
Mary Hamilton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

Just suck it up and take the cuts..I have to cut, my family has to cut,our Representatives in Congress should be taking cuts..and there should be across the board 5% cuts EVERYWHERE.
Upstate

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

well, no matter what, politicians will still get their raises every year so the tax increases they impose don't affect them. We've even heard the head of the police union say he doesn't care what people think, they still are going to get their raises.

I'm guessing Averill Park is not a Union Free School district, that's probably half the problem right there.

I agree Jimmy, we need to stop the practice of groups wasting and spending money just to keep their yearly budget. We shouldn't reward people for wasting money and penalize the ones that come under budget.
That is a HUGE problem right there!!!
darnIt

Hudson, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Whatever will lower the school taxes, do it:
close one elementary school. Layoff 2-dozen teachers. Forget foreign language-there is enough ebonics and misunderstandings. Sports(?)-mow the lawns - rake leaves. Extracurricular activities(?) change the channel!

darnIt
:(
Randall Brough

Troy, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

I do not understand why our State is trying balance the budget off the backs of hard working New Yorkers. It seems to me that someone should have been monitoring the budget and should have known that we were heading down the wrong road. Why hasn't anyone at the top who has control over budgetary issues been fired. Politicians may want to be careful. New yorkers are smarter than they have been giving us credit. We will certainly remember all the increases in our taxes and cuts to our schools come election time. What ever happened to the lotto helping with school budgetary issues? I am one New Yorker who is getting tired of these rich politicians running our State and country into the ground. It is time for the working class to stand up for injustice and demand action from our politians. We can no longer allow them to get a pay check and do nothing for the people. We are the one's who are struggling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Averill Park Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Averill Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••