State salary, benefits site lacks Lon...

State salary, benefits site lacks Long Beach data

There are 41 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Oct 25, 2010, titled State salary, benefits site lacks Long Beach data. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

State Controller John Chiang unveiled a new website Monday listing the compensation of most California city and county workers, but those from the city of Long Beach aren't included.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
borninlongbeach

Sylmar, CA

#1 Oct 26, 2010
Earlier this year a database pay of Long Beach City Employees with names, position titles and salaries paid was available at WWW.LBPOST.COM on a searchable database but was removed. The State Controller website does publish salary ranges with titles BUT does not include OT paid which many times is huge so it not a true reflection of the TOTAL amount paid. It is a good start and it does show for other cities the large amount of people being paid over 100K even over 200K and 300K for taxpayer jobs. It also shows the huge gaps in salaries from top and bottom and management vs non managment positions.

It appears to me the amounts paid for many is PURE LEGAL THEFT for many overpaid positions where there pay exceeds 95% of the people in this country.
borninlongbeach

Sylmar, CA

#2 Oct 26, 2010
The total number of Long Beach city employees earning more than $90,000 per year to 842 or 14.4% of 5,833 total employees.

SOURCE:
http://www.lbpost.com/news/ryan/1475

Since: May 09

Long Beach, CA

#3 Oct 26, 2010
borninlongbeach wrote:
Earlier this year a database pay of Long Beach City Employees with names, position titles and salaries paid was available at WWW.LBPOST.COM on a searchable database but was removed. The State Controller website does publish salary ranges with titles BUT does not include OT paid which many times is huge so it not a true reflection of the TOTAL amount paid. It is a good start and it does show for other cities the large amount of people being paid over 100K even over 200K and 300K for taxpayer jobs. It also shows the huge gaps in salaries from top and bottom and management vs non managment positions.
It appears to me the amounts paid for many is PURE LEGAL THEFT for many overpaid positions where there pay exceeds 95% of the people in this country.
They earn every penny. Get over it.

CLB salaries are available and have been available on the city's website for quite some time now.

Since: May 09

Long Beach, CA

#4 Oct 26, 2010
CLB employees earn every penny, just for clarification.
Tip

Victorville, CA

#5 Oct 26, 2010
Its not just the salary but the number at high pay. In addition, the high pay is concentrated within a few departments. This is where the cuts need to be made. Many don't earn their salary but run around, act busy, working on their next scam or pay raise.
Manager

Lakewood, CA

#6 Oct 26, 2010
Tip wrote:
Its not just the salary but the number at high pay. In addition, the high pay is concentrated within a few departments. This is where the cuts need to be made. Many don't earn their salary but run around, act busy, working on their next scam or pay raise.
Just remember that the City has responsibility in areas that most cities don't such as water utility, gas utility, harbor, airport, health, etc. And so it has a large number of technical positions such as petroleum engineers, etc taht others don't. Therfore, there is nothing "wrong" with high pay being "concentrated" in a few departments as that is where the technical jobs are. Plus fire and police. And I work for the City but don't see "many" people working on their next scam or pay raise, that's just ignorant jealousy. If you seriously see such things, then report them to the City Auditor.
Oncle Willie

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Oct 26, 2010
borninlongbeach wrote:
It appears to me the amounts paid for many is PURE LEGAL THEFT for many overpaid positions where there pay exceeds 95% of the people in this country.
Get over yourself. Can you define what constitutes an "overpaid" position? Based on your mindless criterion it would probably be anyone making more than you. Many of the jobs in Long Beach are underpaid when the total compensation packages are compared to private sector jobs at companies of similar employee numbers and size of their budgets. Only an idiot would compare the wages of an experienced civil engineer with that of a starting McDonalds employee.

I am sure there are some people paid more than they are worth but that is true in any large company. Given that there are few entry level positions at the city and many of the jobs require college degrees and years of experience, it is not unreasonable to see wages higher than the average, small business employee. We can't all be shoe salesmen.
Son of Crum

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Oct 26, 2010
borninlongbeach wrote:
The total number of Long Beach city employees earning more than $90,000 per year to 842 or 14.4% of 5,833 total employees.
SOURCE:
http://www.lbpost.com/news/ryan/1475
No problem with that. When you consider there's 900 or so police, 300 or so firemen, city attorneys, prosecutors, and various and sundry department heads, 842 isn't a bad figure at all.
Son of Crum

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Oct 26, 2010
Oncle Willie wrote:
<quoted text>
Get over yourself. Can you define what constitutes an "overpaid" position? Based on your mindless criterion it would probably be anyone making more than you. Many of the jobs in Long Beach are underpaid when the total compensation packages are compared to private sector jobs at companies of similar employee numbers and size of their budgets. Only an idiot would compare the wages of an experienced civil engineer with that of a starting McDonalds employee.
I am sure there are some people paid more than they are worth but that is true in any large company. Given that there are few entry level positions at the city and many of the jobs require college degrees and years of experience, it is not unreasonable to see wages higher than the average, small business employee. We can't all be shoe salesmen.
Stop making sense. You'll confuse people.
SSS

Long Beach, CA

#10 Oct 26, 2010
I am stillwaiting for the chance for taxpayers to scrutinize welfare payments. When will we get access to that data? Name, location, and amount?
Here Already

Pasadena, CA

#11 Oct 26, 2010
http://www.longbeach.gov/hr/jobdescription/de...

There's your CLB pay database: can you quit b!tch!ing about it already?
borninlongbeach wrote:
Earlier this year a database pay of Long Beach City Employees with names, position titles and salaries paid was available at WWW.LBPOST.COM on a searchable database but was removed. The State Controller website does publish salary ranges with titles BUT does not include OT paid which many times is huge so it not a true reflection of the TOTAL amount paid. It is a good start and it does show for other cities the large amount of people being paid over 100K even over 200K and 300K for taxpayer jobs. It also shows the huge gaps in salaries from top and bottom and management vs non managment positions.
It appears to me the amounts paid for many is PURE LEGAL THEFT for many overpaid positions where there pay exceeds 95% of the people in this country.
michael

Ontario, CA

#12 Oct 26, 2010
SSS wrote:
I am stillwaiting for the chance for taxpayers to scrutinize welfare payments. When will we get access to that data? Name, location, and amount?
are you going to scrutinize the whole 221.00 that a person gets.but your right we should take that away and add to some cops pension so he gets 10221.00 a month for life, GR lasts 9 months.for every 50 people getting welfare that pays one cop pension or salary.which do you will save the tax payers more.the pension welfare or the poor people welfare at 221.00 a month.
michael

Ontario, CA

#13 Oct 26, 2010
Son of Crum wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem with that. When you consider there's 900 or so police, 300 or so firemen, city attorneys, prosecutors, and various and sundry department heads, 842 isn't a bad figure at all.
and just what do any of these bums do to earn their pay.
STICKIT

Long Beach, CA

#14 Oct 26, 2010
RW Crum wrote:
<quoted text>
They earn every penny. Get over it.
CLB salaries are available and have been available on the city's website for quite some time now.
I have worked on projects with several departments over the last ten years.

Trust me, while SOME of them are talented, well meaning people, the MAJORITY do little or nothing. Argue all you want, you could let 50% go with NO LOSS OF PRODUCTIVITY.
Joe Nelson

Surfside, CA

#15 Oct 26, 2010
After Long Beach voters settled for Laura Richardson and Bonnie Lowenthal last election the State Controller no longer felt us capable of processing even basic information.

They could see no reason to waste time on including a ghetto like Long Beach in the stats.
SSS

Long Beach, CA

#16 Oct 26, 2010
This is great for job shopping
SSS

Long Beach, CA

#17 Oct 26, 2010
michael wrote:
<quoted text>are you going to scrutinize the whole 221.00 that a person gets.but your right we should take that away and add to some cops pension so he gets 10221.00 a month for life, GR lasts 9 months.for every 50 people getting welfare that pays one cop pension or salary.which do you will save the tax payers more.the pension welfare or the poor people welfare at 221.00 a month.
Not everyone who gets welfare is poor. We won't know until one of these journalists does a CPRA request now will we? Plus, the cops I know won't be getting 10,221 per month upon retirement. You people assume so much about what you know nothing about. I don't know about GR, but I am pretty sure it's not the same as a j-o-b.
mark

Whittier, CA

#18 Oct 26, 2010
common dirt-bag long beach turds, post it cowards.
Frees Beach

Long Beach, CA

#19 Oct 26, 2010
borninlongbeach wrote:
The total number of Long Beach city employees earning more than $90,000 per year to 842 or 14.4% of 5,833 total employees.
SOURCE:
http://www.lbpost.com/news/ryan/1475
Respectfully, the above data is old. Currently, 20% of city employees' BASE salary exceeds $90,000. This EXCLUDES overtime.

Per August 1, 2010 city payroll:

Total city employees: 5,481

$100,000+ BASE salary: 10.5% or 574 employees

$90,000+ BASE salary: 19.8% or 1,085 employees

Employees paid between $90,000 and $99,999 increased in one year 17.5% from 435 to 511.

Source: LB Business Journal, the updated root source your article linked to. LBBJ lists every position with base salary at or above $90,000. http://www.lbbj.com/manage/uploads/lbbj_pdfs/...

Since: May 09

Cerritos, CA

#20 Oct 26, 2010
Frees Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Respectfully, the above data is old. Currently, 20% of city employees' BASE salary exceeds $90,000. This EXCLUDES overtime.
Per August 1, 2010 city payroll:
Total city employees: 5,481
$100,000+ BASE salary: 10.5% or 574 employees
$90,000+ BASE salary: 19.8% or 1,085 employees
Employees paid between $90,000 and $99,999 increased in one year 17.5% from 435 to 511.
Source: LB Business Journal, the updated root source your article linked to. LBBJ lists every position with base salary at or above $90,000. http://www.lbbj.com/manage/uploads/lbbj_pdfs/...
Still have no problem with that. However, this coming year will be much different considering the Plan As and Bs and whatever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avalon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands walk to remember those too easily for... Oct 18 marg 1
News Ballot measures must be free of bias Oct 15 John McQuan 1
Anyone looking for friends? Oct 13 Sanpedronewbie 2
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Oct 6 Guest 4,552
Was a Teen Murdered? Sep 24 Mary Sunshine 4
News Violent confrontations are rising in Southern C... Sep '17 Solarman 1
News Kamala Harris' support for Planned Parenthood d... (Apr '16) Sep '17 UWARRACEMAKEWORLD... 16

Avalon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Avalon Mortgages