Catalina plane crash victims reported...

Catalina plane crash victims reportedly taken to Torrance Memorial

There are 13 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Oct 3, 2010, titled Catalina plane crash victims reportedly taken to Torrance Memorial. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Three people were injured Sunday, including two critically, in a plane crash at the Catalina Airport, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#1 Oct 3, 2010
tricky airport....
Croak

San Jose, CA

#2 Oct 3, 2010
If I've just been in a plane crash, the last thing I'm gonna do is get back on another airplane or helicopter. Avalon hospital is fine for me.
Robert Scovill

Woodbury, TN

#3 Oct 3, 2010
Then go to the sump drains to see if you can positively detect and then eliminate the same amount you just poured into the fuel tank. Good luck...you are gonna need it if you expect it to work.
Of course you can perform this test on any like aircraft as they all are built on the same jig and dye. One plane crashed with a sputtering engine and burned and the evidence is gone...NO...try the test on an aircraft just like the one that crashed..no problem...except for the NTSB and FAA.
Try it on the Cessna and let me know of the results. When the engine is heard to sputter it is not rocket science it is just more of the same cover-up been going on for decades. Pending the discovery of a major engine malfunction I suggest looking for undetectable water in the fuel tanks any time a Cessna lands off airport. NTSB will remove your engine place it on a test stand where they give it clean fuel and it runs just fine. Was the engine attached to your wing fuel tank or the test stand when it crashed?
Shangri La

Redondo Beach, CA

#4 Oct 3, 2010
What the f? That is the most dangerous short runway I've EVER seen! On a takeoff if the dipwad pilot doesn't know how to do a short takeoff...oh..this makes me so mad...ego----male pilots...don't DGAF about anything but their ego instead of safety. All pilots should be women. Didn't read article....just KNOW it was a MALE pilot that puts ego b4 safety. That SAFE!!!!!!!!!! unless the pilot is skilled at short takeoffs
icouldusesomehel p

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#5 Oct 3, 2010
Shangri La wrote:
What the f? That is the most dangerous short runway I've EVER seen! On a takeoff if the dipwad pilot doesn't know how to do a short takeoff...oh..this makes me so mad...ego----male pilots...don't DGAF about anything but their ego instead of safety. All pilots should be women. Didn't read article....just KNOW it was a MALE pilot that puts ego b4 safety. That SAFE!!!!!!!!!! unless the pilot is skilled at short takeoffs
Spoken like a true woman.

Way too much punctuation. Exclamation points are her way of screaming...

If I ran the tower I'd guide her right into a mountain.
Croak

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Oct 3, 2010
Another rich guy with an airplane An expensive, and oftentimes fatal, hobby. He needs to justify the expense, so he flies it from Arroyo Grande to Catalina.

Stick to racehorses and boats if you want to something to blow money on.
Robert Scovill

Woodbury, TN

#7 Oct 4, 2010
Aircraft takes off and changes its attitude. Could undetectable water hiding in the fuel tank then change its attitude and leaves it's hiding place to make its way to the engine fuel pick-up? NTSB has written off engine failures in General Aviation Aircraft well over 6,418 times with the probable cause of UNDETERMINED. If the NTSB cannot get a handle on the complexities of air, spark, compression and UNCONTAMINATED FUEL, maybe we should ask a good old country boy. Do not believe blindly in the FAA certification where the pre-flight procedure is concerned. Do your own red dyed water in the fuel tank test as the aircraft sits in its normal ground attitude. Pour in 16 ounces of water then go to the sumps and see if you can positively detect and then eliminate the entire 16 ounces you just poured into the fuel tank. The test only requires a Dixie cup full of water dyed red with a few drops of food coloring...pour into any aircraft fuel tanks as it sits in its normal ground attitude.
kruczair

United States

#8 Oct 4, 2010
Shangri La wrote:
If this is the most dangerous short runway runway you have ever seen you haven't seem much. A 3000' runway with no obstacles is not a short field. I flew there for the first time 2 weeks ago
(from out East) and found the landing interesting but not especially difficult. The take off was a no issue - in the air, even on the upslope, in a little over 1/4 of the runway.

The drop off on either end is actually an advantage when taking off. This kind of reminds me of my brother who gets concerned sailing in deep water, but is ok in only 10'
Karl

San Marcos, CA

#9 Oct 4, 2010
Croak wrote:
Another rich guy with an airplane An expensive, and oftentimes fatal, hobby. He needs to justify the expense, so he flies it from Arroyo Grande to Catalina.
I know the pilot, he's worked very hard all his life building a business to support his family, and now that his kids are grown he uses the aircraft primarily to go visit his family and enjoy what he's worked for.

It's his and his passengers choice to take the risks associated with small aircraft flight. How is he hurting you or society? Why are you so negative?
Myself

Arroyo Grande, CA

#10 Oct 4, 2010
Croak wrote:
You're an ignorant fool and know nothing about the situation or who it involves. Why don't you go reevaluate your own life instead of sitting in your chair judging somebody else based on a couple dozen lines of text?!
Myself

Arroyo Grande, CA

#11 Oct 4, 2010
Shangri La wrote:
Goes to show your experience if this is the most dangerous short runway your "EVER seen"

Why don't you go down to the FAA office and start your No Make Pilots campaign. I'll donate the posterboard and sharpies!
Myself

Arroyo Grande, CA

#12 Oct 4, 2010
EDIT - I hate predictive text!
Shangri La wrote:
Goes to show your experience, if this is the most dangerous short runway you've "EVER seen."

Why don't you go down to the FAA office and start your No Male Pilots campaign. I'll donate the posterboard and sharpies!
stall_out

Irvine, CA

#13 Mar 30, 2011
rich is relative. rich would be to have a hot shot 5k hour pro piloting your plane for you with a co-[next to him.
i've had a couple of planes in my life and seen some pretty hairy stuff but don't consider myself rich. I still work and make the house payment like anyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avalon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Detectives seek Lomita identity theft suspect w... Jun 25 jolynnspencer 1
News Don't forget: Fireworks banned in many area cities (Jun '10) Jun 21 M80InUrMailbox 11
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Jun 13 Go Blue Forever 4,510
News Strange & Unusual - Misprinted $20 Bill Sells f... (Mar '07) Jun 1 HotAsian 82
I might b one of the lucky one Jun 1 kueyang 1
News Southern California rain chance evaporates, but... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
Santa Catalina Island Company hires convicted D... (Sep '15) Sep '15 informed 1

Avalon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Avalon Mortgages