First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Anonymous

De Soto, MO

#1 Jan 22, 2013
FOR Gods sakes what is going on with places shutting down? I think this town is going to be a ghost town! People are even moving away! Woundering Why?
country Girl

Reeds Spring, MO

#2 Jan 23, 2013
I have been wondering the same thing - at least about the business closures. It would be nice if we had a local newspaper that would do some actual reporting on these closures, reporting which includes investigating the reasons and assessing the overall economic prospects for the community. I look at the failure of community projects like the industrial park, and the difficulties that some city officials create for businesses, and I wonder exactly what vision the community leaders have for this place? We need a smart mayor with vision, not an elderly retread like the one who intends to run again.
Avian

Branson, MO

#3 Jan 23, 2013
I have been wondering the same thing - at least about the business closures. It would be nice if we had a local newspaper that would do some actual reporting on these closures, reporting which includes investigating the reasons and assessing the overall economic prospects for the community. I look at the failure of community projects like the industrial park, and the difficulties that some city officials create for businesses, and I wonder exactly what vision the community leaders have for this place? We need a smart mayor with vision, not an elderly retread like the one who intends to run again. If you research the Ava City Utilities recent history in last 3 years, you will find that under the leadership of the former Mayor Leon Harris, utility rates DOUBLED. Very hard to operate a business and make a decent profit when the overhead has increased that much. This increase has greatly affected eating establishments greatly in particular.
Avian

Branson, MO

#4 Jan 23, 2013
If you research the Ava City Utilities recent history in last 3 years, you will find that under the leadership of Mayor Leon Harris, utility (electric) rates DOUBLED. It is very hard to operate a business and make a decent profit when the overhead has increased that much. This increase has greatly affected eating establishments in particular.
Anonymous

Smithville, MO

#5 Jan 23, 2013
It sure has! I don't think the old Mayor will get back in cause he stared the electric drama. The new mayor did try to stop it..but there was a contract and when it ends lets hope things will change..maybe! This town is losing money and people are leaving.
Unbelievable

Branson, MO

#6 Jan 23, 2013
Well all the above is right!! It did double while Leon Harris was there and the mayor now look what has happened!!! Has anyone tried getting electric service??? You have to fill out a credit app and people trying to rent have to put 400 or 500 dollar deposit!!! Who can afford that thanks Eddie Maggard. the only choice LONNIE ATCHISON just hope people realize how bad things really are!!!!! We all know the other two are no good so my vote in April goes to Lonnie Atchison Vote Vote everyone it is important!!!'n
Avian

Branson, MO

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Mr. Atchison works for the City of Ava and did so under former Mayor Harris. They are good buddies, so I would be careful and think carefully before voting for Atchison. He might just run to split the vote for Harris when Harris runs again.
leon

Ballwin, MO

#8 Jan 24, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
Well all the above is right!! It did double while Leon Harris was there and the mayor now look what has happened!!! Has anyone tried getting electric service??? You have to fill out a credit app and people trying to rent have to put 400 or 500 dollar deposit!!! Who can afford that thanks Eddie Maggard. the only choice LONNIE ATCHISON just hope people realize how bad things really are!!!!! We all know the other two are no good so my vote in April goes to Lonnie Atchison Vote Vote everyone it is important!!!'n
Lonnie Atchison is an idiot
Anonymous

Slater, MO

#9 Jan 24, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
I royalty agree! This town needs a Mayor that will stand up for us poor folk! That's why the town is going to the dog's. Like I said it will be A Ghost Town Soon
big

Billings, MO

#10 Jan 24, 2013
Have heard several bussiness are closeing--who are they
Unbelievable

New York, NY

#11 Jan 24, 2013
borninca wrote:
<quoted text> I royalty agree! This town needs a Mayor that will stand up for us poor folk! That's why the town is going to the dog's. Like I said it will be A Ghost Town Soon
I'm glade someone else can see the problems that ava is having! Was beginning to wonder. I sure hope there are a whole lot more people in town thinking same thing! We need people that are wanting to help everyday normal people in city! And neither one current and past have done a poor job!
PISSED IN AVA

Kansas City, KS

#12 Jan 24, 2013
copeland owns ava and is actively keeping out competition for low-priced labor
Unbelievable

New York, NY

#13 Jan 24, 2013
PISSED IN AVA wrote:
copeland owns ava and is actively keeping out competition for low-priced labor
They should be spending more time looking for factories look at the police station! Yea there are a few jobs there since they moved in but it use to employ hundreds!!! They have almost as many police cars as Springfield! Ava had two cops thirty years ago and just as many people! Thanks Mr. Mayor great idea ! or allowing it to happen that's really looking out for the people of Ava!
Unbelievable

New York, NY

#14 Jan 24, 2013
leon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lonnie Atchison is an idiot
And I Guess that Leon Harris and Eddie Maggard have proven they are Highly intelligent! And have made town a better place for the people? What's wrong with a change?
leon

Ballwin, MO

#15 Jan 24, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>And I Guess that Leon Harris and Eddie Maggard have proven they are Highly intelligent! And have made town a better place for the people? What's wrong with a change?
nothing is wrong with a change as long as its for the better. Lonnie Atchison is an idiot
Unbelievable

New York, NY

#16 Jan 24, 2013
What about the last one and current mayor's? No complaints? Happy with everything that has been done in town?
Anonymous

Slater, MO

#17 Jan 24, 2013
big wrote:
Have heard several bussiness are closeing--who are they
KFC&LONG JOHNS SILVER AND FROM WHAT I'VE. HEARD TOCOBELL IS NEXT"! People are leaving and those here can't afford it!!"!
Anonymous

Slater, MO

#18 Jan 24, 2013
leon wrote:
<quoted text>
nothing is wrong with a change as long as its for the better. Lonnie Atchison is an idiot
Like the new and old mayor's? We need to nicotine and get somethings to change...better yet go to the KY3 news with it, maybe just maybe it will wake up this crooked town!!!
Anonymous

Slater, MO

#19 Jan 24, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>They should be spending more time looking for factories look at the police station! Yea there are a few jobs there since they moved in but it use to employ hundreds!!! They have almost as many police cars as Springfield! Ava had two cops thirty years ago and just as many people! Thanks Mr. Mayor great idea ! or allowing it to happen that's really looking out for the people of Ava!
Yea,Fire some of the crooked cops
leon

United States

#20 Jan 24, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
What about the last one and current mayor's? No complaints? Happy with everything that has been done in town?
not happy with them at all, but Lonnie would even be worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ava Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Business owner 2 hr shelly 12
mower barn Wed yahyah 3
News Douglas County MO residents trying to create fi... (Sep '10) Tue arfd 12
Fleetwood sentencing (Jun '11) Tue arfd 13
Circuit judge election for Douglas county (Jul '14) Tue arfd 8
Whats up Tue Whats up 1
officer black May 24 not surprised 5
More from around the web

Ava People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE