Ohio.com - Dedicating his life to Christ at 13, evangelist reme...

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

The man behind the Akron area's claim as the home to televangelism the Rev. Rex Humbard is being remembered by family and friends as a fiery evangelist, a compassionate friend and a loving husband and father.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of64
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
No Comment

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 23, 2007
 
Post No Grump
TENNESSEE OBSERVER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 23, 2007
 
WELL DONE, Colette Jenkins!
Rev Rex Humbard will prove to be a NOAH of my generation.
Howies Chisel

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 23, 2007
 
Rex was the first of many crooked ministers like Jim & Jerry who followed who tried to extort money from his believers to further his own financial needs and earthly wants. I'm not so sure the devil wasn't waiting to greet him into hell when he passed this week.

He'll always be remembered for his tower to no where in Cuyahoga Falls.

God bless his soul !!!!
Sally

New Bern, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 23, 2007
 
My husband's grandmother thought the world of him and donated what little money she had to him. We took her to the Cathedral one Sunday...it was such a treat for her. She lived near Toledo, so it was quite a trip. We were the last people in line to see them after the "service" and they were told we were waiting for them...he and Maude just walked away without even acknowledging us. She was broken hearted.
I didn't think much of him before that..and I thought even less of him after. I sure wish I knew how to bilk millions of people out of millions of dollars so I could live the high life!
Cloverine Fleetwood

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 23, 2007
 
TENNESSEE OBSERVER wrote:
WELL DONE, Colette Jenkins!
Rev Rex Humbard will prove to be a NOAH of my generation.
I find it interesting that you see Rev. Humbard as Noah. Would you be so kind as to explain why? Thanks.
harry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 23, 2007
 
may rex rest in peace
Ramon

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 23, 2007
 
God bless your money.

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 23, 2007
 
Rex Humbard moved the church away from the lord and closer to the bank.
suzelectrowell

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 23, 2007
 
Something has gone on strange about these "new styled" religious agencies/organizations... it's not 'Jesus' anymore, but big business...
resident of springfield

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 23, 2007
 
money money the more one has the more one wants which i am not questioning that. but to use religion to prey amoung people to acquire it is beyond contempt. and this happens frequently.
justme

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 23, 2007
 
Humbard sure did help shape modern ministry. It's all about the money.
Jerry Fargo

Massillon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 23, 2007
 
From the comments in your article you would think Cuyahoga Falls did not exist before the Cathedral of Tomorrow was built. I for one know that Cuyahoge Falls existed in the 1930's. That makes me ask what else is in error in this article.
Old Man Grump

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 23, 2007
 
Sally wrote:
My husband's grandmother thought the world of him and donated what little money she had to him. We took her to the Cathedral one Sunday...it was such a treat for her. She lived near Toledo, so it was quite a trip. We were the last people in line to see them after the "service" and they were told we were waiting for them...he and Maude just walked away without even acknowledging us. She was broken hearted.
I didn't think much of him before that..and I thought even less of him after. I sure wish I knew how to bilk millions of people out of millions of dollars so I could live the high life!
Rex Humbard was a crook, liar, and a thief. I hope satan enjoys his ever lasting eternity with Rex counting Rex's money. There were way too many stories similar to yours.
Paul D Brown

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 23, 2007
 
Speaking of Rex being a "Crook" or building the tower in the sky in Cuyahoga Falls he once owned the Cascade Plaza Holiday Inn.
As for his Grandson being the last player selected in the West Akron Baseball League Draft in 1976 .Rex' Daughter in Law brought the kid into the North Hawkins Avenue Armory only to see him pout.She didn't hide the problem infront of us adults scolding him with "Is this going to be like basketball?'
I've never found time to condem family members whom had to deal with the Grandfather's Notoriety but I think she won my respect and I'm sure Rex III knows she wasn't fooling around !!!!
may fong

Ashtabula, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 23, 2007
 
Jerry Fargo wrote:
From the comments in your article you would think Cuyahoga Falls did not exist before the Cathedral of Tomorrow was built. I for one know that Cuyahoge Falls existed in the 1930's. That makes me ask what else is in error in this article.
The comment is because. The church was built in NORTH HAMPTON. Cuyahoga Falls annexed it a few years ago. So it wasnt in the falls originally.
justme

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 23, 2007
 
Paul D Brown wrote:
Speaking of Rex being a "Crook" or building the tower in the sky in Cuyahoga Falls he once owned the Cascade Plaza Holiday Inn.
As for his Grandson being the last player selected in the West Akron Baseball League Draft in 1976 .Rex' Daughter in Law brought the kid into the North Hawkins Avenue Armory only to see him pout.She didn't hide the problem infront of us adults scolding him with "Is this going to be like basketball?'
I've never found time to condem family members whom had to deal with the Grandfather's Notoriety but I think she won my respect and I'm sure Rex III knows she wasn't fooling around !!!!
Yeah, well I worked in the mail room at the Catherdral, and I opened many letters from senior citizens who tithed from their social security checks. Then one day Rex's daughter came in to show off her $10,000 wedding dress. I quit soon after. And then there was Maude Aimee who redecorated the whole place very often in the most hideous designs and colors. Money, money, money. So keep your heart warming stories to yourself. They were nothing but rip-off artists preying on the elderly and others.
justme

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 23, 2007
 
TENNESSEE OBSERVER wrote:
WELL DONE, Colette Jenkins!
Rev Rex Humbard will prove to be a NOAH of my generation.
LOL, I know you're joking, right?
may fong

Ashtabula, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 23, 2007
 
The televangelists always say. Give your gift of faith. Give your money to the lord. Jesus needs your money. But they always Give their address for the donation. (Or at least the address to their bank.)
someonewhoknows

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 23, 2007
 
a father, grandfather and great grandfather has passed away,.......do any of you know him personally?
so quick to judge, what have you done in your life time to help people met ther maker?
justme

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 24, 2007
 
someonewhoknows wrote:
a father, grandfather and great grandfather has passed away,.......do any of you know him personally?
so quick to judge, what have you done in your life time to help people met ther maker?
Not so quick to judge at all. We were there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of64
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Austintown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Austintown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Austintown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••