The Red Cross Sucks..... Money....not only blood!

Posted in the Austell Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Feb 24, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Corkie

Braselton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

Judged:

----------

I can remember Picture it 9-11 disaster in NY and here come RED CROSS well the big story a couple of weeks later was the fact that all this money went to RED CROSS but little or no money was spent to help 9-11 victims instead it went into RED CROSS bank account.

NOW 2010 Haiti comes along and here comes the media and President saying give to the RED CROSS. I wouldn't give a dime. I would however give to the organization: Doctors without Borders.

When the Red Cross provided help to a coastal US town after a hurricane had nearly devasted it. They were out there selling cups of hot coffee for a dollar a piece.

Wasn't here a huge outcry for blood? Americans were rolling up their sleeves but in never made it to NYC. Dead bodies don't need blood, and I believe the Red Cross used the disaster to replenish its supply. Blood has a 6-7 week shelf-life and I think most of the 9-11 blood was later pitched. Bring back any memories y/n?
Kindred Spirit

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

It depends........

Packed Red Blood Cells - up to 42 days. Actually even up to 10 years if perfect condition. This is the most common - used for blood loss. You know - surgery, gunshot wounds, 911 tragedies, earthquake victims, etc.

Blood sustitutes - 2 years.
Plasma - 1 year.
Frozen Fresh Plasma - 24 hours.

Since: May 09

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

Judged:

I volunteered with the Red Cross after Katrina. I was in Waveland MS. I saw a lot of waste going on. I lost a lot of respect for the organization then. The volunteers were great. The actual people who work for the Red Cross were snobby ego maniacs. There was not a lot of accountability concerning the money we were provided for expenses. Most of us did not use it, we were fed well and provided with a cot. But some thought the money was for their pleasures. One guy was buying himself new clothes, CD's, etc.
I choose now to donate to another organization.
Corkie

Braselton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

Judged:

ConcernedinGA wrote:
I volunteered with the Red Cross after Katrina. I was in Waveland MS. I saw a lot of waste going on. I lost a lot of respect for the organization then. The volunteers were great. The actual people who work for the Red Cross were snobby ego maniacs. There was not a lot of accountability concerning the money we were provided for expenses. Most of us did not use it, we were fed well and provided with a cot. But some thought the money was for their pleasures. One guy was buying himself new clothes, CD's, etc.
I choose now to donate to another organization.
^5's Concerned!

Another person realizing the waste this organization has and how it rewards its own people who are supposed to be Aiding those in need.
Joe

Peachtree City, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

Judged:

I went on a tour of the southeastern regional headquarters of the Red Cross here in Douglas County over near Tributary. I was greatly impressed by the efficiency and dedication of all the employees there. They were all working very hard and the rules and regulations surrounding guarding the blood supply were strictly and rigorously enforced.

I don't know what kinds of external experiences you all have had with the Red Cross but internally they had their act together and more tightly woven than any other organization I've been into the center of. If you want to see a paragon of ineffeciency, visit Coca-Cola. People give to that brown sugar water charity every day all the time and they are nothing but waste, and they waste all their employees lives.

The Red Cross may not be perfect and they are a big easy target, but if you can schedule a tour with their spokesmodel April Phillips I think you will come away with a totally different picture of who the Red Cross is and what they do behind the scenes.

“Bipartisanship at last!”

Since: Aug 08

bout time!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

Judged:

Joe wrote:
I went on a tour of the southeastern regional headquarters of the Red Cross here in Douglas County over near Tributary. I was greatly impressed by the efficiency and dedication of all the employees there. They were all working very hard and the rules and regulations surrounding guarding the blood supply were strictly and rigorously enforced.
I don't know what kinds of external experiences you all have had with the Red Cross but internally they had their act together and more tightly woven than any other organization I've been into the center of. If you want to see a paragon of ineffeciency, visit Coca-Cola. People give to that brown sugar water charity every day all the time and they are nothing but waste, and they waste all their employees lives.
The Red Cross may not be perfect and they are a big easy target, but if you can schedule a tour with their spokesmodel April Phillips I think you will come away with a totally different picture of who the Red Cross is and what they do behind the scenes.
Agreed, the Red Cross is a another example of a great American organisation that the complainers love to hate. Welcome to Douglasville Topix Forum. The fruit is not in the can in here.
bull

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

Red Cross,is just another business that can get away with stealing from People without a gun.

They have been charging for coffee since World War 1 they are nothing more than criminals which is run by bigger criminals.This is why the are still in business.How much money do some think that the Red Cross gives to the People that need it? They are good at what they do screwing people.

Salvation Army is the same way nothing but a bunch of low-life's taking advantage of people that really what to believe they are giving to the ones that need it.
Bill

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Judged:

From what I've heard, 91 cents on every dollar donated to the Red Cross goes back to the people in need - for both short-term and long-term recovery. The other 9 cents goes to administrative costs, including staffing, office supplies and leases, etc. They have been in business for more than 129 years because they are there during some of our nation's - and our own - worst times. Whether it's a house fire, natural disaster or providing CPR training, the Red Cross provides a vital service to our community. Few can deny this.
Crabapple

Peachtree City, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Judged:

I agree with bull about the Salvation Army. However, the Red Cross has an irreplacable mission and they stick with it.(pun intended). I don't understand the rant calling them criminals. Could you be more specific there, bull? Like any organization they have their stars, their worker bees and their demons.
Contrarian

Lithia Springs, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Kindred Spirit wrote:
It depends........
Packed Red Blood Cells - up to 42 days. Actually even up to 10 years if perfect condition. This is the most common - used for blood loss. You know - surgery, gunshot wounds, 911 tragedies, earthquake victims, etc.
Blood sustitutes - 2 years.
Plasma - 1 year.
Frozen Fresh Plasma - 24 hours.
You must work for the blood center they just relocated to Douglas County. While I'm glad for any business in the county, I never could figure out how they could move so far away from the majority of their customers (ATL hospitals).
bull

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Judged:

It takes a bunch of criminal's to be successful.
We have People like Obama that wouldn't stand for any investigations into these organizations.

Why?

Because they would find out what criminals they are that wouldn't look good for these folks that have been stealing from everyone for year's.
Do you think these organizations would be in business if they weren't making MILLIONS.
Money is always the name of the game.

The people that run these organizations make more money in a year than most make in a life time.Believe me they wouldn't be in this if it wasn't for the money they make.
oldstone

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

Judged:

Joe,

The ARC has been under a consent decree from the FDA for 17 years. This is very, very serious business. Basically this tells you the FDA believes that blood from the ARC could be unsafe because they do not have the proper controls and have deep, basic systems issues that they refuse or cannot correct.

I work for an independent community blood center, and I'll tell you right now that NO other blood center in the nation has ever had this kind of action taken aginst them...ever. Any other organization would have been shut down long ago. But it appears that the ARC is too big to fail, and has plenty of infulance in Washington.

They have had huge fines levied against them, but between what they get from the goverment and donations, they just pay the fines and ignore the real safety issues.

Additionally, they subsidize their blood prices with disaster donations, then go into non-ARC markets and undercut the local centers.

My advice, do not believe what they tell you on a tour and if you can, go to a hospital that does not buy ARC blood. Seriously.

bout time!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

bull wrote:
It takes a bunch of criminal's to be successful.
We have People like Obama that wouldn't stand for any investigations into these organizations.
Why?
Because they would find out what criminals they are that wouldn't look good for these folks that have been stealing from everyone for year's.
Do you think these organizations would be in business if they weren't making MILLIONS.
Money is always the name of the game.
The people that run these organizations make more money in a year than most make in a life time.Believe me they wouldn't be in this if it wasn't for the money they make.
So.......you think the Red Cross is a criminal organization? What on earth is the matter with you?
jonny

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2010

Judged:

I currently work for the american red cross, I've been miserable since day one.. I work costumer service, I call donors house to see if they want to come back for another blood donation..

The redcross not only rips me off vacation time, they screw with your personal time. And rip you off with breaks. Instead of giving us 15 minute break they let us leave 15 minutes early but it goes unpaid for.. And get this the ARC takes the blood and sells it to hospitals for 300 dollers a pint.. What the fuck? If I were you just donate to your nearest hospital.. American red cross is a corrupt orginzation, as an employee in a major location I lost all respect for this company
Crabapple

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

Ok ... does anyone else in here have the inside scoop on the American Red Cross? Years ago their president or CEO was fired after it was found that she was making 3 quarters of a million dollars a year in salary. However, it would be good to know if our blood we donate for free is being sold for large amounts of money.

If the Red Cross is a corrupt organization, how is it corrupt and who are the perps?
If the Red Cross is a legitimate organization with a valid humanitarian mission, who will stand up for it?

I have always thought that the Red Cross was a worthy group who provided blood to people in their hour of need. Tell us why this isn't so and substantiate your claims ...
Tab1

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

Judged:

Crabapple,
What’s that quote about something in Denmark..?
The Red Cross Congressional Charter is to provide volunteer aid in time of war to the sick and wounded of the armed forces, to carry out a system of national and international relief in time of peace, and apply that system in mitigating the suffering caused by pestilence, famine, fire, floods, and other great national calamities, and to devise and carry out measures for preventing those calamities, and to conduct other activities consistent with the foregoing purposes. I think the latter is what justifies the existence of Red Cross Blood Services. However, if you look at what they spend for all these activities on the BB Charity Ratings or Charity Navigator websites, you find Red Cross Blood Services (not programs assisting the needy or displaced or military families or safety training programs) is the single largest element of the American Red Cross, accounting for 2/3 of that $3.2 billion (annual) dollar enterprise; it drains money from other programs, loosing $85 million in FY 2008. Blood Services also seems to accumulate a lot of fines from the FDA. Oddly, the American Red Cross’s Chief of Blood Services and Chief Lawyer make more than their CEO:$566,629 and $480,880 respectively, vs.$446,867 for their CEO. And that’s before bonuses.
Here’s some food for thought that does not require insider knowledge. Goggle “blood products” and you will see many competing small businesses/organizations. It is a fact that the Red Cross Blood Services do not compensate donors while other companies that perform the same service do, plus these other companies pay all of their staff and purchase all their own equipment, while the Red Cross takes advantage of volunteer labor and charitable donations. Does Red Cross Blood Services presence in a community stifle competition? Hmm. Has anyone ever received a bill from the hospital with a special/discounted unit cost for "Red Cross" blood? Has there ever been any disaster- wildfire, flood, Hazmat spill, that Red Cross Blood Services has not used to their advantage-(free) public service spots, a well meaning public anxious to help. Ever wondered why for any disaster you are encouraged to give blood? Are there some communities where no one competes with the Red Cross? Why? Is it a good idea to have one organization that controls so much of the US blood supply? When they divested themselves of their Tissue Bank operation, what happened to all of those donated body parts? They sold them to the highest bidder. Blood is no less a business.
“Provide blood to people in their hour of need” That is a cleverly worded statement of availability not altruism.
Oddly, Blood services, despite their competitive advantage consistently looses money,$85 million for FY2008. They also seem to accumulate a lot of fines from the FDA. More curious is that the Organization s Chief of Blood Services and their chief lawyer make more than their CEO:$566,629 and $480,880 respectively, vs.$446,867 for their CEO. And that’s before bonuses. Under Section 511 of the tax code, a 501(c) organization is not subject ot tax for selling donated merchandise. Money earned must be retained by the organization, and used for its own expenses, operations and programs, hence the large salaries (and bonuses). The Blood business is clearly good business for the Blood Services folks, but it doesn’t support any of the specified goals of the Red Cross. National organization needs to take a good hard look at that sacred cow and explain why the Red Cross needs to be in the blood business. But introspection is not the National organization’s strong suit.
“Provide blood to people in their hour of need” That is a cleverly worded statement of availability not altruism.
wayne

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

Judged:

Try to get a dead body out of a foreign country without the red cross
really

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

Judged:

It's done everyday.Where have you been inside your house watching Jerry Springer.

bout time!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

really wrote:
It's done everyday.Where have you been inside your house watching Jerry Springer.
man, thats great.Dead people come back everyday without the Redcross; They're called Republican tourists.

bout time!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Judged:

jonny wrote:
I currently work for the american red cross, I've been miserable since day one.. I work costumer service, I call donors house to see if they want to come back for another blood donation..
The redcross not only rips me off vacation time, they screw with your personal time. And rip you off with breaks. Instead of giving us 15 minute break they let us leave 15 minutes early but it goes unpaid for.. And get this the ARC takes the blood and sells it to hospitals for 300 dollers a pint.. What the fuck? If I were you just donate to your nearest hospital.. American red cross is a corrupt orginzation, as an employee in a major location I lost all respect for this company
Why would you work for a company you hate and steals from you. Geez, dude, life is short, change jobs..........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Austell News Video

•••
•••

Austell Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Austell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE