Wait List @ Brighten Academy

Posted in the Austell Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Hopeful

Dallas, GA

#1 Mar 8, 2011
Who has had luck with their child getting into Brighten after being placed on the waiting list from the lottery? Just curious - if your child got in: what grade was it for, when were you notified and what number on the list were you?
Long N Taught

Peachtree City, GA

#2 Mar 8, 2011
Brighten has a limited number of seats, so availability is based on that. Openings are few and far between since the only children leaving are those who move away, there are no children being tossed out for discipline issues. There may be a few who are pulled out because the parents didn't volunteer enough and had to pony up some cash and chose to stick it to the school instead of paying.
The process of determining who comes into the school is absolutely fair though you gain an advantage for siblings if you already have a child enrolled. The real shame with this backward county is that we don't have enough schools like Brighten.
Douglas County Resident

Douglasville, GA

#3 Mar 8, 2011
If you are in the top few spots on the waiting list, you've got a chance, but no guarantee. Students do move, occasionally some leave for their local school because of extracurriculars and physical plant issues (i.e. no gym). Usually that happens near the start of the school year.
Lisa

Norcross, GA

#4 Mar 8, 2011
Brighten Academy's Lottery seems fair, but it is hard to believe that most of the spaces are taken up by siblings and kids of teachers. For example, Kindergarten has 38 students in the class. During the lottery, only 7 spots were available. So, that means 31 of the student in K have a sibling at the school. 3rd grade only had one spot available. So, all of the 3rd grade students except for one will have a sibling at Brighten or their parent is employeed there. I was there until 8:00 last night, hopefully we will receive a call. Douglas County School System has to become forward thinking. We can no longer teach our kids how we were taught.
Lisa
Douglas County Resident

Douglasville, GA

#5 Mar 8, 2011
Lisa wrote:
Brighten Academy's Lottery seems fair, but it is hard to believe that most of the spaces are taken up by siblings and kids of teachers. For example, Kindergarten has 38 students in the class. During the lottery, only 7 spots were available. So, that means 31 of the student in K have a sibling at the school. 3rd grade only had one spot available. So, all of the 3rd grade students except for one will have a sibling at Brighten or their parent is employeed there. I was there until 8:00 last night, hopefully we will receive a call. Douglas County School System has to become forward thinking. We can no longer teach our kids how we were taught.
Lisa
You're right about Kindergarten. That's surprisingly few. But with the third graders, any student who came in for K,1st, or 2nd gets to keep their slot. So it isn't quite as surprising that there was only one slot to fill.
Lisa

Norcross, GA

#6 Mar 8, 2011
Hopeful wrote:
Who has had luck with their child getting into Brighten after being placed on the waiting list from the lottery? Just curious - if your child got in: what grade was it for, when were you notified and what number on the list were you?
Hopeful, If you receive an answer to your questions outside of Topix, would you please post them? I would love to know the answers.
Thank you
Brighten Mom

Peachtree City, GA

#7 Mar 9, 2011
If you don't get accepted at the beginning of the year don't give up hope. We were excepted midyear with our child. We were more than happy to jump out of our then current situation and go to Brighten. Also, kids do move through out the year or parents don't keep up their part of the compact and are told to leave. So don't give up. It is so worth it!

Since: Aug 09

Villa Rica

#8 Mar 9, 2011
You've got a better shot at middle school than elementary. More kids leave then due to sports and activities they can't participate in at Brighten, although that may change with the new law, which I think would be good for both Brighten and the other middle schools.
Hopeful

Dallas, GA

#9 Mar 9, 2011
Brighten Mom wrote:
If you don't get accepted at the beginning of the year don't give up hope. We were excepted midyear with our child. We were more than happy to jump out of our then current situation and go to Brighten. Also, kids do move through out the year or parents don't keep up their part of the compact and are told to leave. So don't give up. It is so worth it!
What grade was your child in when he/she was accepted and where were you at on the waiting list - also, did you have siblings to consider?
Brighten Mom

Peachtree City, GA

#10 Mar 9, 2011
We entered mid 2nd grade but this was a few years ago. We didn't have any sibling there already but we do now ;) It's worth the wait. We were going to Brightstar which had changed in the short period of time we had been there. Katrina changed our area forever.

Since: Feb 10

Lithia Springs, GA

#11 Mar 11, 2011
We got in for 7th grade. We got notified the night before orientation. Middle school seems to be easier to get into because of the sports that some kids want to be involved in and they have to attend their school to participate in sports.
Hopeful wrote:
Brighten Parent

Lithia Springs, GA

#12 Mar 12, 2011
We were wait listed in last years lottery. I received a call late last year and My 4th grader started at Brighten soon after.
Waiting For Superman

Norcross, GA

#13 Mar 12, 2011
My daughter is in the top 5 on the kindergarten waiting list. Does anyone know of someone getting in Brighten while on the Kin. waiting list? As mentioned earlier, it was not many spots this year.
paul

Carrollton, GA

#14 Mar 13, 2011
Hopeful wrote:
I bet there isnt any BLACK kids on that waiting list.I would venture to say the school is half full of them.If they have to wait, they will call al sharptongue.
douglas county teacher

Douglasville, GA

#15 Mar 13, 2011
What percentage of Brighten kids get into IB? Is it higher than the other middle schools?
DC Teacher

Villa Rica, GA

#16 Mar 13, 2011
We had about 50 to 60% of those apply get in and I teach 8th grade at a county school.

Since: Jul 10

Villa Rica, GA

#17 Mar 13, 2011
Any of the students that go to Brighten and then apply to IB and make it would have made the cut to IB even at their home school. The students that are accepted into IB are the smartest at each school. Whether you go to Brighten or Mason Creek, or Chestnut Log, you have the same opportunity to be accepted into IB. All are smart and motivated students. Getting into Brighten does NOT guarantee that your child will be accepted into IB. I'm quite sure no matter what school my child had gone to in middle school she still would have made the cut. She did make the cut for IB, but choose NOT to go IB but AP instead. A decision I admire in my child.
Brighten is not the "BE ALL and END ALL" in education in this county, just as the IB program isn't the "BE ALL and END ALL" for high school programs.

Since: Jul 10

Villa Rica, GA

#18 Mar 13, 2011
PS...My child did not attend Brighten Academy but her districted middle school
Joe Yule Jr

Douglasville, GA

#19 Mar 14, 2011
paul wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet there isnt any BLACK kids on that waiting list.I would venture to say the school is half full of them.If they have to wait, they will call al sharptongue.
Actually, the US Census puts the African American average in Douglas County, GA at 36% in 2009. So,'half full of them' would be just about right. Good job, Brighten!:)
Grob Hahn

Peachtree City, GA

#21 Mar 14, 2011
Joe Yule Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the US Census puts the African American average in Douglas County, GA at 36% in 2009. So,'half full of them' would be just about right. Good job, Brighten!:)

That's rather interesting, especially when you consider that black Americans (African-American only applies to people born in Africa and prefer to remain hyphenated instead of joining the nation) were 18% of the county in 2000. So the black population has doubled in 10 years and is 6% higher than the state average. This is social engineering at it's best. It's all about numbers and not about actual results.
Grobbbbbbbbbbb

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Austell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
roofiess Xanies bar,Blues,oc's,molly,Addyis ... 7 hr mark 1
News SHARP helps inmates with alcohol, drug abuse pr... (Jul '09) 8 hr Concerned Citizen 19
New Coroner working 2 full time jobs? Is this... Sat Cupcake 3
No Military Discounts at Chick fil a (Apr '10) Sat Joe 132
How long to loose your house? Sat Jacob T 1
racism in Douglasville.. (Feb '12) Sat taxpayer 112 113
Why do black people CHOOSE to speak like slaves (Nov '11) Sat Jerry 118

Austell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Austell Mortgages