Maine Poised For 2nd Public Vote On Gay Marriage

Jan 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Gay marriage supporters carry boxes containing signed petitions to the Secretary of State's office in Augusta, Maine.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 27, 2012
 
Ballot language-

"Do you favor a law allowing marriage licenses for same-sex couples that protects religious freedom by ensuring no religion or clergy be required to perform such a marriage in violation of their religious beliefs?"

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

2

Maine, another state where the citizens do not care about the constitution of the United States. It does not matter how any of these votes turn out. Citizens should never be voting on whether other citizens have rights or not.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Mainers are going to make it the first state to enact marriage equality by popular vote. I think they care very much about constitutional rights.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Jalene in the wild wrote:
Maine, another state where the citizens do not care about the constitution of the United States. It does not matter how any of these votes turn out. Citizens should never be voting on whether other citizens have rights or not.
So you would rather we wait another 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 years until the courts eventually get around to ruling gays should have the same right to marry?

I'll take marriage equality ANY way we can get it. In fact, the more states which pass marriage equality, the more likely the courts will eventually decide in our favor.
John S

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 27, 2012
 
All I can say is,....when the hell is California going to get off it's butt and settle prop 8 for God sake.

I lived there for 9/10's of my life and I cant understand
what the hold up is.

Anyone know what's going on there?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Jalene in the wild wrote:
Maine, another state where the citizens do not care about the constitution of the United States. It does not matter how any of these votes turn out. Citizens should never be voting on whether other citizens have rights or not.
I agree in principal. Yet in this case, this may be the best option available at this time.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 27, 2012
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Ballot language-
"Do you favor a law allowing marriage licenses for same-sex couples that protects religious freedom by ensuring no religion or clergy be required to perform such a marriage in violation of their religious beliefs?"
Excuse my igonrance here, but that doesn't sound like the public is passing a law to me. It sounds like a delaying tactic. So they vote for this. Does that mean it will happen, or does the legislature still have to pass a law? And if so, will there be yet another fight over it?

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 27, 2012
 
John S wrote:
All I can say is,....when the hell is California going to get off it's butt and settle prop 8 for God sake.
I lived there for 9/10's of my life and I cant understand
what the hold up is.
Anyone know what's going on there?
Yea, it's the making sure that they don't get overturned on appeal.....or just giving the impression of taking their time when they probably have the ruling waiting to go......either way.....we should hear something by March......hopefully!!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 27, 2012
 
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse my igonrance here, but that doesn't sound like the public is passing a law to me. It sounds like a delaying tactic. So they vote for this. Does that mean it will happen, or does the legislature still have to pass a law? And if so, will there be yet another fight over it?
If passed, this WILL become law. The legislature has the OPTION of passing it as a bill first, but assuming the GOP controlled legislature in Maine declines, then it's put to a vote of the people on the Nov ballot.

Again, if it passes as an initiative, marriage equality IS the law in Maine.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 27, 2012
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If passed, this WILL become law. The legislature has the OPTION of passing it as a bill first, but assuming the GOP controlled legislature in Maine declines, then it's put to a vote of the people on the Nov ballot.
Again, if it passes as an initiative, marriage equality IS the law in Maine.
O.K. I guess I was confused by the wording, "Do you favor a law...". I suppose somewhere in other paragrahps it must state that the law would be in effect if approved. That is only my assumption at this point.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 27, 2012
 
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
O.K. I guess I was confused by the wording, "Do you favor a law...". I suppose somewhere in other paragrahps it must state that the law would be in effect if approved. That is only my assumption at this point.
It's like any other initiatve or referendum; it approved by the voters it becomes law. Somewhere on the ballot it way say a "yes" vote means same-sex couples can marry, while a "no" vote means they can't.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 27, 2012
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If passed, this WILL become law. The legislature has the OPTION of passing it as a bill first, but assuming the GOP controlled legislature in Maine declines, then it's put to a vote of the people on the Nov ballot.
Again, if it passes as an initiative, marriage equality IS the law in Maine.
So, even if the legislature were to pass the bill and Governor lePage were to sign it, wouldn't the opponents STILL have the opportunity of a citizen's veto? Either way, we end up with people voting on other people's marriages.

Last time, we went through the legislative process, and ended up with a people's veto. That process is likely to die in the legislature this time. So we've chosen a path that forces the decision to the people from the outset.

Frankly, it's very empowering.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 27, 2012
 

Judged:

1

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
So, even if the legislature were to pass the bill and Governor lePage were to sign it, wouldn't the opponents STILL have the opportunity of a citizen's veto? Either way, we end up with people voting on other people's marriages.
Last time, we went through the legislative process, and ended up with a people's veto. That process is likely to die in the legislature this time. So we've chosen a path that forces the decision to the people from the outset.
Frankly, it's very empowering.
You are correct. IF the legislature should happen to pass the initiative & the Gov signs it, then the anti-gays would have the option of attempting a vote veto.

I know most of us hate the idea of having our rights voted on, but I bet that changes just a bit if we start actually winning these votes.
Romneys Spastax Deduction

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 27, 2012
 
I cannot help straying from the topic at hand once more to ask, rhetorically I hope, whether the passage of marriage equality by popular vote in Maine would result in "Pastor" Ted Haggard's no longer claiming to be "bisexual"?

Ditto others.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 27, 2012
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. IF the legislature should happen to pass the initiative & the Gov signs it, then the anti-gays would have the option of attempting a vote veto.
I know most of us hate the idea of having our rights voted on, but I bet that changes just a bit if we start actually winning these votes.
Know what's hilarious? Brian Brown yesterday criticized the Coalition for Marriage for their hypocrisy. Afterall, we're always saying people's rights shouldn't be voted on.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Wow how hypocritical! If this type of voting by the people which contradicts the constitution benefits you then you support it, but if it does not benefit you then you don't support it.

Why do you people believe you even deserve marriage equality with this kind of thinking?

This type of voting by the people on civil rights is going to come back and bit every U.S. citizen in the ass at one point in the near future. It does nothing but weaken civil rights and puts it in the minds of people that it is ok to vote on any civil rights.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you would rather we wait another 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 years until the courts eventually get around to ruling gays should have the same right to marry?
I'll take marriage equality ANY way we can get it. In fact, the more states which pass marriage equality, the more likely the courts will eventually decide in our favor.
If it would mean keeping this country from becoming tyranny of the majority, yes I would rather wait. Your celebration of being allowed marriage equality by a majority vote by the people takes more than it gives. Even if the LGBTQ community receives marriage equality in this manner what will stop the religious right from creating more popular votes in other areas of our lives? Not a thing. There is never a true benefit to tyranny of the majority that's why we have a constitutional law system.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Jalene in the wild wrote:
<quoted text>
If it would mean keeping this country from becoming tyranny of the majority, yes I would rather wait. Your celebration of being allowed marriage equality by a majority vote by the people takes more than it gives. Even if the LGBTQ community receives marriage equality in this manner what will stop the religious right from creating more popular votes in other areas of our lives? Not a thing. There is never a true benefit to tyranny of the majority that's why we have a constitutional law system.
Excuse me, but the religious nut jobs have been putting individual rights up,for votes for a while. There will be two anti-gay votes in 2012 that they pushed. Last year, states voted on personhood amendments to take away women's rights over their medical decisions. You pretend that if we don't play the game, they won't either. We're merely showing them that we can play by their rules, too.

Don't be their fool. Or you can go join GOProud, for all I,care.
Janine

Howland, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 28, 2012
 
Marriage is a traditional institution between a male and a female. You homosexuals need to develop your own traditions and stop destroying the traditions of heterosexuals.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 28, 2012
 
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Know what's hilarious? Brian Brown yesterday criticized the Coalition for Marriage for their hypocrisy. Afterall, we're always saying people's rights shouldn't be voted on.
I hadn't heard that. I suppose technically he's correct. That's why I never really got that worked up about the concept of ballot referendum. One way or the other our rights ARE being voted on, whether it's the people of the state, the legislators, or a panel of judges.

We accepted the votes when they worked in our favor in the past (judical & legislative), and we opposed them when they didn't work in our favor (popular referendum).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Augusta Discussions

Search the Augusta Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
ME Who do you support for Governor in Maine in 2010? (Oct '10) Apr 2 emma 107
Debate: Gay Marriage - Readfield, ME (Jan '12) Feb '14 Judy 4
T-Mobile call center continues growth (Oct '09) Feb '14 Nybobby 10
ME Maine Conservation Bonds Issue, Question 3 (Oct '10) Feb '14 Mark Chaisty 6
Review: Levesque Sylvio J REV Feb '14 LEVESQUE SYLVIO J REV 2
Medicaid Expansion: Ask Your Statelawmaker This... Jan '14 MrCap56 1
Nearly half a million customers face cold, dark... Dec '13 no excuse 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Augusta Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Augusta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••