Too many inmates, so few cells

Too many inmates, so few cells

There are 29 comments on the Republican Journal story from Feb 19, 2007, titled Too many inmates, so few cells. In it, Republican Journal reports that:

More Local News Waldo County and the State of Maine have a problem in common: too many prisoners and not enough cells.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Republican Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Boston Bob

United States

#21 Aug 16, 2009
Get the rope down and let them swing!!!!
Mike

Lewiston, ME

#22 Aug 17, 2009
Kinda screwed up,theres so many people out there that would just hang someone for such peddy little things.No wounder theres so many people in prison.Boston Bob needs to hang from his own rope and smell the coffee.

“ Words are the voice”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#23 Aug 17, 2009
Lots of suicide! Maine must be the suicide capital. That is not only the fault of the parents, it is also the fault of the schools and law enforcement.

There is not enough education or social awareness. And the cops don't care. But it is their job when someone is threatening to harm themselves to do something.

And it is the responsibility of the schools to educate and to be aware and to notify the appropriate authorities.

Suicide threats should ALWAYS be taken VERY seriously! If Maine would wake up, a lot fewer people would take their lives needlessly. The signs are there if people care enough to look, to get involved and to make some noise!

There are corrupt cops everywhere but in Maine I think it is *personal* and a derelict misuse of power.

~sage~

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#24 Apr 12, 2010
sagecrossroad wrote:
Truth be told,
True the courts do the sentencing BUT, while awaiting arraignment, guilty or not, people sit in jail up to 30 days or more.
That is in part due to the fact that the state of Maine does not have Bondsmen, all bonds are cash ONLY.
But the point about slander is a valid one too. Are you aware that you could tell a police officer that your neighbor is doing something illegal, sign a paper and he will be arrested?
I think that is a HUGE issue in Maine and most definitely has an impact on jails being over populated.
Moreover, how does that make you feel? Do you feel safe knowing that someone with a wild imagination and a 6th grade education with a propensity to be evil, has that kind of power?
~sagecrossroad~
While I agree with you that some people get great pleasure in screwing with their naighbors....writing a statement and having the person arrested....the persona making the complaint COULD get in trouble if the statement turns out to be false and the person who did get arrested turns around and signs a formal complaint for false statement and arrest....
while it is a petty circle of neighbor against neighbor sometimes...it does happen....I am seriously contemplating moving to Maine when my youngest gets out of school in June...I live in Upstate NY...I work for a local county Sheriff and there are 3!!! state correctional facilities surrounding our county jail...one is a supermax !!!...I live in a small town that has a medium state facility AND a federal facility ....and the inmates up here are crying because it's overcrowded....so some of the bleeding hearts are going to 'cut bac' on those already serving time in jail..those they claim aren't a menace to society...drug dealers and pedophiles, arsonists, and first time short time offenders...and put them back on the streets ...so the inmates have more room and it's not so crowded.....the families of inmates move into our safe little towns and crime has risen tremendously...drugs are more readily accessible than they ever were 20 years ago....
Answer me this....why do the inmates get such cushy treatment? 3 meals, college education, clothing, medical treatment, family visits..........all of it free...and their families live on welfare paid by the state taxpayers.....
who really gives a sh*t if they are comfortable?? It's jail!!!!! It is not supposed to be a fun nice place to visit......it seems like inmates have mor rights than those of us working and struggling for what we have...and desperately trying to keep it..

another reason crime is on the uprise..is the economy..people are struggling to feed their families, keep a roof over their heads and to keep their jobs..those unfortunate enough to have been 'laid off' due to cutbacks...NEED the help at this time...but the families of inmates arrive like the plague in swarms to new areas so they can deplete the system....and then those who truly need it have trouble gettig it..........

again, I am seriously thinking of moving to Maine to be closer to my family...I have been in upstate NY for a long time...
away from a state where there are almost as many inmates as free people...
me me me

Augusta, ME

#25 Jul 11, 2010
The police in Augusta are just incompetent
and very corrupt
gosh golly gee wiz

United States

#26 Jul 14, 2010
me me me wrote:
The police in Augusta are just incompetent
and very corrupt
i agree
jake

United States

#27 Sep 23, 2010
sagecrossroad wrote:
Do you feel safe knowing that someone with a wild imagination and a 6th grade education with a propensity to be evil, has that kind of power?
~sagecrossroad~
nice way to characterize the police bro. YOU sound smart...
Diamit Parker

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#28 Oct 24, 2010
i belive th police in brunswuick an Bath are doing the best just they .if the juvinile does heard anyone .Send them to South POrtLand Boys School and the still show thier ass.Then send them to windham correctional.cause when they get there ..they would be beggin to get sent back to south portland.
I know from my own personal trials of course this was in the 60-70's...but if you like to talk about it head is my name
thanks
steve parker
1024 jones road
ward arkansas
[email protected]
David Fix

Nobleboro, ME

#29 Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for posting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Augusta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maine governor: Drug dealers impregnate 'young ... May 30 Johnny South Knox... 3
News For Republicans, a tough road to hold onto Main... May '16 longtail 1
Samantha Smith May '16 Missourian 1
Gary Johnson Apr '16 Defektor 1
News Cumberland Psychiatrist Censured and Placed on ... Apr '16 HumanSpirit 2
News Before there was Trump, there was Paul LePage Mar '16 Gingerich 1
News Group of Maine Democrats to Press for Impeachme... Jan '16 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 25

Augusta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Augusta Mortgages