Too many inmates, so few cells

More Local News Waldo County and the State of Maine have a problem in common: too many prisoners and not enough cells. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
donnie

Gardiner, ME

#1 Feb 20, 2007
Why is it increasing? Is it growing at the same rate as the population in general? If not, what's going on?
Truth

AOL

#2 Apr 26, 2009
From my observations, my guess would be the police over embellishing charges. Making mountains out of molehills.
Truth

AOL

#3 Apr 26, 2009
Maybe if police didn't pander to defamation and slander and did some REAL investigative work instead of just arresting people based on somebody's word?

Maybe if there was some better state legislation in place to prevent such archaic atosities from occuring, the jails might just have real criminals and not be overcrowded?
Truth Be Told

AOL

#4 Apr 26, 2009
I beleive that the police are doing their jobs that is why the jails are so overcrowded. There are still many criminals out there that haven't been caught yet. I beleive the number of criminals is increasing with the population growth for the area. The courts are the ones that do the sentencing not the police.
DJJ

Baytown, TX

#5 Apr 27, 2009
We're seeing the generation of "my kids would never do any wrong".....no respect for anything.

They have the "I'll do what I want attitude".

“ Words are the voice”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6 Apr 27, 2009
Truth be told,

True the courts do the sentencing BUT, while awaiting arraignment, guilty or not, people sit in jail up to 30 days or more.

That is in part due to the fact that the state of Maine does not have Bondsmen, all bonds are cash ONLY.

But the point about slander is a valid one too. Are you aware that you could tell a police officer that your neighbor is doing something illegal, sign a paper and he will be arrested?

I think that is a HUGE issue in Maine and most definitely has an impact on jails being over populated.

Moreover, how does that make you feel? Do you feel safe knowing that someone with a wild imagination and a 6th grade education with a propensity to be evil, has that kind of power?

~sagecrossroad~
Citizen

Topsham, ME

#7 May 6, 2009
I believe our officers of Maine, Do look into matters before arresting someone.

“ Words are the voice”

Location hidden

#8 May 6, 2009
Citizen wrote:
Really? You are very naive! Some officers have integrity and use discretion, knowing that slander is a very real issue. Others do not care and are unethical.

The upside to these fabricated arrests is that the injured party can file charges against the person making false statements.

However, in most progressed and more civilized states, police must conduct thorough investigations and have *proof*, not just someone's word, prior to making an arrest.

In many cases in the state of Maine, people's constitutional rights are violated.

Ever watch legal programs on TV? "Hearsay" is just that, HEARSAY. And no one should EVER be arrested based on hearsay.

~sage~
housefrau

Mechanic Falls, ME

#9 May 12, 2009
lots of bad lawyers.....
Truthmaker

Falmouth, ME

#10 May 13, 2009
Sage, I think you are a touch paranoid about the whole law enforcement thing. There are all kinds of checks and balances in the legal system to keep what you are talking about from happening.
If I see my neighbor shoot someone and I tell the cops about it that is not hearsay. It is a statement, and certainly those can and are used to get a warrant and/or place someone under arrest. When was the last time you saw a false arrest charge that stuck?

“ Words are the voice”

Location hidden

#11 May 13, 2009
Truthmaker wrote:
Sage, I think you are a touch paranoid about the whole law enforcement thing. There are all kinds of checks and balances in the legal system to keep what you are talking about from happening.
If I see my neighbor shoot someone and I tell the cops about it that is not hearsay. It is a statement, and certainly those can and are used to get a warrant and/or place someone under arrest. When was the last time you saw a false arrest charge that stuck?
I think you are confusing "hearsay" with being an eye witness. Hearsay is when Joe Blow tells an officer that someone is doing something and the officer arrests that person based on Joe Blow's word. Without investigating and without evidence.

~sage~
Truthmaker

Falmouth, ME

#12 May 14, 2009
I know all about what hearsay is. And an eye witness. You are saying arrests are made based on gossip and the words of someone who didnt actually see anything being committed. I am saying its very rare when something like that happens. And what they need is probable cause.

“ Words are the voice”

Location hidden

#13 May 15, 2009
Truthmaker;

And just because a man wears a badge, he holds the power to decide what "probable cause" is. He can decide if "hearsay" is enough for "reasonable suspicion."

I don't think officers should be allowed to decide sigularly. There should be several other's that they have to go through prior to any arrest of that sort.

~sage~
Truthmaker

Falmouth, ME

#14 May 15, 2009
Thats what the Grand Jury is for.

“ Words are the voice”

Location hidden

#15 May 16, 2009
Truthmaker wrote:
Thats what the Grand Jury is for.
AMEN!

But...

Too bad that it doesn't go to the Grand Jury before people are arrested and traumatized needlessly.

I wonder, does the Grand Jury keep track of how many bogus arrests come out of certain departments?
Legion

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 May 19, 2009
Is it possible that there are too many laws? Americans treasure their freedom. We don't all need to have our hand held by Big Government. Don't get me wrong, most of the laws are just and necessary, but not all of them. And it should take more than "J'accuse" to have someone arrested. THAT is un-American.
Sick Of Crime

Saint Cloud, FL

#17 Jul 10, 2009
Hmm, the oven worked! Read the life of Hitler, interesting ideas to stop unwanted moron criminals.
cannayes

Kennebunk, ME

#18 Jul 11, 2009
Citizen wrote:
This might be the most ignorant thing I have ever read haha. You see, when any individual is capable of becoming a cop with a badge and a gun it's not too difficult to understand how corrupt our system is. I would say that most cops are on a power-binge and get away with too much nonsense. Don't ever defend cops. They are supposed to protect us, yet we are always on the lookout for them because we fear them.
cannayes

Kennebunk, ME

#19 Jul 11, 2009
DJJ wrote:
We're seeing the generation of "my kids would never do any wrong".....no respect for anything.
They have the "I'll do what I want attitude".
Maybe because you are a bad parent? A good parent doesn't treat their kid as an object, a good parent lets their children become their own individuals. If you want to understand your kid, treat em' with respect and perhaps you'll get some in return, that way you can develop an open relationship. Your kid is going to do what he/she wants otherwise. Guide your children, don't manipulate them.
Steve

Voorheesville, NY

#20 Jul 20, 2009
Theres a lot of screwed up people out there.Cops,Chiefs of police,Lawyers,Judges,and even you people.I heard about a family in winthrop maine that was attacked by the law and the people there just because they did'nt like them.They just plain did not like them.No reason at all.Now there's a group of people with no moral conscience.No wounder why there is so much suicide there.So much hate turned to hurt in such a small town.Don't ask why winthrop maine ever again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Augusta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lepage is laughing stock of the entire nation! Oct 31 diamond lil 1
Synful Dezirez (Jun '12) Oct 31 SYNFUL DEZIREZ 3
Jennifer Lawrence Sep '14 st0rage h3ad 1
Department of Corrections graduates 18 new staf... Aug '14 not dirty 1
KEEP MURDER LEGAL "Support the City of Gardiner... (Jun '13) Aug '14 Charles K 2
Lying Cheat (Apr '11) Jul '14 Meow 2
Maine May Fine NOM Up to $50,000 (May '14) May '14 Magic Utah Uwear 19
Augusta Dating
Find my Match

Augusta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Augusta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Augusta

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:27 pm PST