One-armed man wants Maine to allow hi...

One-armed man wants Maine to allow him a switchblade

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 2, 2011, titled One-armed man wants Maine to allow him a switchblade. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A one-armed horseman is asking Maine lawmakers to allow amputees like him to carry switchblade knives, which are otherwise illegal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

havegunjoe

Omaha, NE

#1 Feb 2, 2011
A reasonable request! This should be universal. A spring operated knife is no more of a problem to public safety than any other knife it’s just stereotyped as one. Actually, I am in favor of anyone being able to own one. There are many situations where a person may have one hand occupied and need to open a knife.
1armed man

Cottage Grove, MN

#2 Feb 2, 2011
Try a fixed blade knife.
I carry one in my boot all the time.
A switchblade would be nice though.
Steve

Portland, OR

#3 Feb 2, 2011
this is a reasonable request. And I dont think this gentleman is asking if its "OK" to carry a 16" pig sticker. There are some very decent auto's that would suit his need's.
REDEYE

Naples, FL

#4 Feb 2, 2011
I think the state should allow this man to carry a switchblade or any other knife he chooses to.If I were to lose a limb I know it would be very hard to open a folder with one hand. As most states now allow this type of knife I cannot see wh Maine would nt also. I am an avid collector of this type of knife and I can attest that the switchblade has a bad rep for no reason other than hysteria from back in the 1950s when the ban bagan on them. If someone has a need to use a one handed knife then they should be able to do so be it because they have a lost limb or just have something in the other hand making it difficult to open a reguler knife.
Dr Dan

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Feb 2, 2011
Forget that, give him a 357 Mag, that way he can pop a big cap in someone.
snarlingrabiddog

Leavenworth, KS

#6 Feb 2, 2011
I understand this man's need for a switchblade. Switchblades are less dangerous than a fixed blade and slower to deploy when needed. The ban of switchblades in the 1950's as Redeye poined out was due to baseless hysteria in the 1950's. I have been a LEO and carried a switchblade on duty for utility legally when on Surveillance. The ban on switchblades needs to be lifted so that everyone can carry one if they so choose. If there is a petition, please let me know and I will be happy to sign it.
snarlingrabiddog

Leavenworth, KS

#7 Feb 2, 2011
By the way, I have a CCW permit and carry a .40 Caliber Sig as my every day carry firearm, yet I cannot carry a switchblade due to the ban. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
REDEYE

Naples, FL

#8 Feb 2, 2011
Dr Dan, that kind of stuff is what causes the hysteria in the first place. This man is not wanting to carry as a weapon but as a tool for use in any situation,such as the mentioned incident where a horse was caught in some rope.I do however agree with us being able to carry guns so do not think i am against guns at all as i am not. But posts like yours just tend to fan the fires of hysteria and we canot afford anymore against knives or guns.thanx a ton.Freddie AKA REDEYE
jerryk25

Belle Vernon, PA

#9 Feb 2, 2011
In this day and age, with alternative one handed folding knives so available, an automatic is an anachronism. If someone wants to repeal or change an obsolete law, that's fine. But if sheath knives are dangerous, then so are automatics with bad safeties. Buy an assisted opener instead.
Ken Smith

Franklin Park, NJ

#10 Feb 2, 2011
What's the big deal? Am I THAT much of a scofflaw for carrying a switchblade for years?- I use it all the time - they are convenient. Knives, generally, are a bad weapon unless kept folded in the hand for use as a fist weight. I've never considered that I was carrying a weapon. I've never owned or even fired a gun, nor do I feel the need to own a weapon of any sort. ProTech has a great selection, available mail order from anywhere, all made in USA. Italian stilettos are silly letter openers. Out the front models have an extra cool factor. Plan on parting with a few hundred dollars for a good one, keep it in your pocket and don't make a big deal about it. Geez.
Jim Kelley

Chattanooga, TN

#11 Feb 2, 2011
I think this is a reasonable request, switchblade knives are no more dangerous than any other knife, it is amazing to me that the hysteria of the fifties carries on to this day!
snarlingrabiddog

Leavenworth, KS

#12 Feb 2, 2011
I've never been a fan of assisted openers. I own several and find them very unreliable. I would never cite a one-armed man for carrying in his possession, a switchblade knife, whether it was against the law or not, nor would I confiscate his knife. Thanks for setting Dr. Dan straight Red. I don't consider the switchblades I own weapons, in fact, if I were to carry a knife for self-defense, it certainly wouldn't be an Italian stiletto, otf, or anything resembling a traditional switchblade. There are many times when I wish I had a switchblade in my hand...not one of those times included self-defense; it is usually because I have my other hand holding something....for utility. It would be nice if the law would change. I don't see it happening anytime soon. I hope he gets to carry one.

Since: Feb 08

Sandstone MN

#13 Feb 3, 2011
He should sue under the ADA. This law has a disperate impact on him because of his disability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Augusta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weird 8 mins ago 5:12 p.m.Disgruntled man relea... Jun 4 Phyllis Schlafly ... 2
2018 United States Senate Race - Age Requirements Apr '17 Moon eyed Mule 1
News Report: Maine tourism industry revenue grew to ... Mar '17 TOTALLTOSQUAT 1
News Maine governor to Rep. John Lewis: You need a h... Jan '17 southern at heart 28
News Jehovah's Witnesses to gather at Augusta Civic ... (Sep '09) Dec '16 Sara K 31
Poverty Hollow granits sign on West Rd. - bad t... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Rwhidden 1
looking for Opiods and some other strong stuff?? (Nov '16) Nov '16 BK Tar 1

Augusta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Augusta Mortgages