Irked Home onwner

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2010

The house turned out o.k., but ever proecess was riddled with headache after headache. Nearly everytime we changed something from the cookie-cutter original floor plan it was done wronge. From window grids to doors. The broker even repeatedly showed us the wrong floorplan and we lost about 80 sq ft. in our garage depth. Resolving their "warranty" has been a two-year problem/part time job. When repairing the original problem two of the subcontracters have damaged our home cause further repair and delay. I will not select them again when we build, and will steer my friends away from them, even if it means they live a little further away.
Irked puts it mildly

Osawatomie, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2011

Per Better Business Bureau online: "BBB accreditation does not mean that the business' products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by BBB, or that BBB has made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services."
The devil is in the details! Most of the problems occur after the 1 year warranty, of course! The only warranty we got was for a cheap ass thermostat that could have caught the furnace or possibly the house on fire. My wife came home to a house at 94degrees and still running. Of course, the replacement is nearly as junk, requiring 2 AAA batteries to function, you better be home and glancing at the thermostat, when the warning lights up! The other warranty item was a persistently stopping up cheap piece of junk toilet. Of course, we had to pay the difference for one of better quality and poop reputation!(YEAR FIVE) I am still chasing an electrical problem that trips a GFI which was where were plugging in our sprinkler system. During this I discovered the so called electrician used a metal "handy box" for the outlet outside, in the weather conditions. Hmmm, suppose that is where the voltage drop is? In Year TWO, loss of electricity to 2 outlets in kitchen. Found very shoddy and non-professional installation or connections of wires to outlets! In my opinion the workmanship is on the shoddy or cheap side. Start with the cheap roofing shingles and several showing and raised nail heads. Aren't there still some standards, guidelines, requirements, codes, something that the so called craftsman is supposed to adhere to? Who inspects these so called contracted craftsman? The so called "carpenter" left a gap of 1/2 to 3/4" all along the edge of the sheeting under the bay window. You should have seen the mouse problem, the crap, and the nasty insulation. This took 16 hours plus materials to re-fabricate, caulk and re-insulate. The sump pump motor burned up in year 4. Not because of excessive water infiltration, but because once again, going on the cheap, the contractor did not install an $15 check valve in the discharge line. You better check yours, the pump will run quite extensively, causing wear and overheating, eventually burning up the $160 (installed price on a Saturday) pump. This is my life experience as I see it!
watev

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2011

Irked puts it mildly wrote:
Per Better Business Bureau online: "BBB accreditation does not mean that the business' products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by BBB, or that BBB has made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services."
The devil is in the details! Most of the problems occur after the 1 year warranty, of course! The only warranty we got was for a cheap ass thermostat that could have caught the furnace or possibly the house on fire. My wife came home to a house at 94degrees and still running. Of course, the replacement is nearly as junk, requiring 2 AAA batteries to function, you better be home and glancing at the thermostat, when the warning lights up! The other warranty item was a persistently stopping up cheap piece of junk toilet. Of course, we had to pay the difference for one of better quality and poop reputation!(YEAR FIVE) I am still chasing an electrical problem that trips a GFI which was where were plugging in our sprinkler system. During this I discovered the so called electrician used a metal "handy box" for the outlet outside, in the weather conditions. Hmmm, suppose that is where the voltage drop is? In Year TWO, loss of electricity to 2 outlets in kitchen. Found very shoddy and non-professional installation or connections of wires to outlets! In my opinion the workmanship is on the shoddy or cheap side. Start with the cheap roofing shingles and several showing and raised nail heads. Aren't there still some standards, guidelines, requirements, codes, something that the so called craftsman is supposed to adhere to? Who inspects these so called contracted craftsman? The so called "carpenter" left a gap of 1/2 to 3/4" all along the edge of the sheeting under the bay window. You should have seen the mouse problem, the crap, and the nasty insulation. This took 16 hours plus materials to re-fabricate, caulk and re-insulate. The sump pump motor burned up in year 4. Not because of excessive water infiltration, but because once again, going on the cheap, the contractor did not install an $15 check valve in the discharge line. You better check yours, the pump will run quite extensively, causing wear and overheating, eventually burning up the $160 (installed price on a Saturday) pump. This is my life experience as I see it!
You ppl buy cheaper homes expecting to have top grade everything!!!!! You bicker the price even further and once you do buy the home you complain about everything possible to try and get some kind of compensation! Some builders build in certain subdivisions cheaper homes so families can get into something new and still be resonably priced. You cannot buy a Chevy expecting a Lexus! Quit bitching if you can only afford a Chevy!!!
Just checking them out

Derby, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

@watev: You a shill for the company? I'm looking at this contractor to build a 200k plus home in the Wichita area. I DO NOT consider a shoddy building complaint to be inconsequential. Klausmeyer wants to build a home for us but I noticed shoddy building in their MODEL homes therefore I was curious to see if there were complaints, and there are. It seems as if their cheap untrained mexican't labor is too unskilled other than to ape the same cookie cutter designs...
pleased

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Go with Comfort Homes. He builds in same subdivisions with Klausmeyer and I know for a fact no Mexicans. Not to mention they are a great family owned business
comfort hell

Derby, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

pleased wrote:
Go with Comfort Homes. He builds in same subdivisions with Klausmeyer and I know for a fact no Mexicans. Not to mention they are a great family owned business
I would stay away from Comfort! They built out house and did a horrible job. They did a walk thru before closing 5 years ago and never came to repair a single thing. I had countless phone calls and letters into them and they would never reply. When we build again we will stay far away from neighborhoods that have Comfort homes.
abc

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Cheap labor, cheap product, lack of realistic allowances for appliances in the kitchen, and to top it off with a mexican foreman you'll be struggling to understand. Save yourself the headache and spend a few more bucks elsewhere.
curious

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

abc wrote:
Cheap labor, cheap product, lack of realistic allowances for appliances in the kitchen, and to top it off with a mexican foreman you'll be struggling to understand. Save yourself the headache and spend a few more bucks elsewhere.
You get what you pay for. If you cannot afford a better more expensive house that is your problem!!!
Ann W

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2014

I purchased a spec house from Klausmeyer in May 2008 and thought I was getting a great deal on a well-built house. Not even 6 months later, the caulking around the shower in the master bathroom started cracking, and the gap increased to 1/4". I called the builder to have them repair the damage, so they came out and re-caulked around the shower. The cracks came back a few weeks later, which led me to get a second opinion about the structural integrity of the shower. I was told that there was no backing behind the shower, which was supposed to be done. When I called Klausmeyer, I was told that they would NOT install backing behind the shower (this should have been done in the first place) so I was stuck with the poorly installed shower. In addition, the carpet started buckling when the house was a year old, the floors creak and groan because the construction workers missed every stud in the hallway when attempting to nail the subfloor, there are numerous nail pops, and there is a giant 4' crack starting at the top of the vaulted ceiling and running down the wall. Also, the paint they used is of such poor quality that it washes off the wall and the front door with just water. The caulking they used is very cheap as well (my entire house needs to be redone). I was also told by the exterminator that there is a 2-3" gap between the siding and the house. With all these problems, I will not buy from Klausmeyer ever again, and I have told numerous friends to stay away. They build houses to last until 1 year for the warranty, and then you are on your own when the house starts falling apart. They don't come back to fix anything after the first year.
wow

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2014

Just checking them out wrote:
@watev: You a shill for the company? I'm looking at this contractor to build a 200k plus home in the Wichita area. I DO NOT consider a shoddy building complaint to be inconsequential. Klausmeyer wants to build a home for us but I noticed shoddy building in their MODEL homes therefore I was curious to see if there were complaints, and there are. It seems as if their cheap untrained mexican't labor is too unskilled other than to ape the same cookie cutter designs...
If you saw the "shoddy" work in their model homes then why in the hell would you have them build you one? Stupid!!!!
wow

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2014

Ann W wrote:
I purchased a spec house from Klausmeyer in May 2008 and thought I was getting a great deal on a well-built house. Not even 6 months later, the caulking around the shower in the master bathroom started cracking, and the gap increased to 1/4". I called the builder to have them repair the damage, so they came out and re-caulked around the shower. The cracks came back a few weeks later, which led me to get a second opinion about the structural integrity of the shower. I was told that there was no backing behind the shower, which was supposed to be done. When I called Klausmeyer, I was told that they would NOT install backing behind the shower (this should have been done in the first place) so I was stuck with the poorly installed shower. In addition, the carpet started buckling when the house was a year old, the floors creak and groan because the construction workers missed every stud in the hallway when attempting to nail the subfloor, there are numerous nail pops, and there is a giant 4' crack starting at the top of the vaulted ceiling and running down the wall. Also, the paint they used is of such poor quality that it washes off the wall and the front door with just water. The caulking they used is very cheap as well (my entire house needs to be redone). I was also told by the exterminator that there is a 2-3" gap between the siding and the house. With all these problems, I will not buy from Klausmeyer ever again, and I have told numerous friends to stay away. They build houses to last until 1 year for the warranty, and then you are on your own when the house starts falling apart. They don't come back to fix anything after the first year.
Maybe you should be in Watercress then. Oh I forgot you have to buy the cheaper homes

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Augusta Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Augusta Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••