Penn State Students Asking for $

Posted in the Audubon Forum

Anne

Collegeville, PA

#1 Nov 11, 2013
When will they be leaving our intersections and storefronts? Anyone know?
Joe

Collegeville, PA

#2 Nov 11, 2013
Hopefully soon!! Most are fine, but some block traffic and are just annoying.
Why don't they at least do something for the money? Bake sale? Car wash?
mark

Phoenixville, PA

#3 Nov 11, 2013
I wouldn't mind them that much, but they are at every intersection.
Anne

Collegeville, PA

#4 Nov 11, 2013
went to pick up a tomato pie at corropolese in limerick on saturday and they were there standing right in front of the store's door. sheesh. i 5505was only used to seeing them at every intersection.
Mike

Royersford, PA

#5 Dec 9, 2013
They are collecting money for anual Thon. The Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon, affectionately known as THON, is a yearlong effort to raise funds and awareness for the fight against pediatric cancer.

http://thon.org/
Ron M

Collegeville, PA

#6 Jan 1, 2014
I went to Penn State. The Thon fundraiser is a big event. But I was surprised to see them canning here. I saw them at the intersection next to the Collegeville Diner on my way to the Collegeville Farmers' Market. The Collegeville Police were warning them off as the Borough has an ordinance against it. To my surprise, they showed up in the farmers' market, 4 of them, and again a few weeks later. I think the Thon organization has crossed a line.
Tommy John

Collegeville, PA

#7 Jan 3, 2014
I have to agree with Ron M. I went to Penn State as well and also am familiar with the Thon. The canners we are seeing locally are not from here; they are from all over the state and are staying with host families over the weekend while they can.
That's all well and good for their efforts to raise money, but some of our local organizations rely on these things as well. The PS canners are not only moving into their turf, but doing it for several weeks. It's difficult enough for our local fire companies for example, to raise money, and they occasionally have to resort to canning. Like most of you I have no problem donating to them. But the Thon? At the Rahn intersection? No! Stay out of our communities!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audubon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Skin folds on the exwife Sat the Ace of Spades 1
car accident Apr 16 annette 1
News Study: Distracted driving among teenagers at al... Apr 10 SlickMick 3
Basement water damage from overhead pipe leak (Dec '08) Apr 3 jordennancy23 11
We need the community's help!! Mar '15 smd21288 1
News Developer of synthetic cannabinoid therapies ex... Feb '15 Laura 1
Hobby Hut (Aug '14) Aug '14 Catherine 1
More from around the web

Audubon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE