Emmaus woman still waiting for subscription magazine from door-...

There are 41 comments on the The Morning Call story from Feb 1, 2009, titled Emmaus woman still waiting for subscription magazine from door-.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Door-to-door salesmen have reputations for being slick, and even though they don't come knocking as often as they used to, it's still wise to be wary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Stupids

AOL

#24 Feb 1, 2009
Yea, they got suckered alright. They are just lucky that the salesman did'nt ask for their SSN and bank account info too. One's head should be more than just a hat rack.
50bucks

New Castle, PA

#25 Feb 1, 2009
You paid 50 bucks for Rolling Stone? You can get a year's subscription for under 10!
Tom

Allentown, PA

#26 Feb 1, 2009
Bunch of moronic statments on here today.
Yikes

Easton, PA

#27 Feb 1, 2009
David-1206 wrote:
Fools and their money are soon parted.
The most concise and accurate response to this article that could possibly be printed
No soliciting

Allentown, PA

#28 Feb 1, 2009
In this day and age, there is no reason for people to be selling items, services or religion door to door. It's not safe for kids to be sellng fundraisers door to door as well. Don't open the door if you don't know who it is, there are scam artists out there everyday. Perhaps our communities should issue solicitation rulings.
Mickey Mouse

Philadelphia, PA

#29 Feb 1, 2009
Why is this news ?. I assume not much happens in the Lehigh Valley.
The Real Story

Spring City, PA

#30 Feb 1, 2009
My sister was unfortunately conned into joining one of these magazine outfits when she was 18. The kids are just as much targets as all of you. They always promise them their money "next week" and say that "central office forgot to mail the checks." They ply them with drugs and totally exploit them. My sister ended up escaping about 8 years ago and our family is so thankful. She was never paid and the company even tried to "kidnap" her to get her back. It was a total nightmare. Even if you feel badly for them, don't EVER give them your money. It was routine for them to charge people for more than what they ordered or to never submit orders at all. Be aware that they often travel in packs - get dropped off in a van and picked up later in the day. They always have some thug assigned to them (mostly to keep the kids in line.)
isme

Palmerton, PA

#31 Feb 1, 2009
I have a sign on my door stating "No solicitations". I also noted on my sign, "we have our own religious beliefs, we have our own political opinions, we do not need our driveway redone. If we need any type of service we will contact a company of our choice. Please do not leave any business cards or any other publications". Seems to be working. We haven't been bothered since the sign was put on the door this past summer. People need to stop falling for scams.
Good Idea

Topton, PA

#33 Feb 1, 2009
isme wrote:
I have a sign on my door stating "No solicitations". I also noted on my sign, "we have our own religious beliefs, we have our own political opinions, we do not need our driveway redone. If we need any type of service we will contact a company of our choice. Please do not leave any business cards or any other publications". Seems to be working. We haven't been bothered since the sign was put on the door this past summer. People need to stop falling for scams.
I might just do the same thing. I got so many people at my door last summer, it was unbelievable.
WakeUp

Northampton, PA

#34 Feb 1, 2009
Mickey Mouse wrote:
Why is this news ?. I assume not much happens in the Lehigh Valley.
Your location indicates "Philadelphia." Would you rather this was newsworthy, or would you rather to continue to have the type of news that is daily in "Filthy-Delphia?"
slappie jones

Pottsville, PA

#35 Feb 1, 2009
We had two grown men drive up over the summer in a small white van, selling meat ?!? No markings on the van whatsoever, and it just so happened my kids and the neighbors were playing out front and yelled into the house "Mom, some guy wants to talk to you!" His 'partner' stood by the truck while I went out on the porch and said "No thanks" then, he said "Why don't you come over to the truck and check out the HUGE SAVINGS for yourself?" Ummm, no...I asked him for a business card at which point he lokked over at his buddy, said he was out of cards, and would come back when he had some. I told my kids to come in the house immediately, sent the other kids home, told them to tell their paretns what was going on and called the cops.
I watched them drive away, and there are about 5 to 10 homes in our neighborhood, they did'nt stop next door or anywhere else up the block...they just took off. They were very charming and inviting, definitely.
slappie jones

Pottsville, PA

#36 Feb 1, 2009
yeah, I know lots of typos...sorry...
LowerMac Mom

Allentown, PA

#37 Feb 1, 2009
I live in a townhome neighborhood and we get TONS of these types all the time. They figure we're easy because there are so many homes close together. I can't believe people actually give any money to these types!!!!

For what it's worth, local Girl Scouts sell magazines as part of their fall fundraiser. It's through Reader's Digest and perfectly legitimate. If you'd like to order a magazine AND support a local Girl Scout troop, simply seek out a neighborhood Brownie in the fall (usually October). You can order through the Girl Scout, or via the internet. This is a much better way for you to show support to Lehigh Valley youth and actually get something for your money!
Barry

United States

#38 Feb 1, 2009
I got scammed years ago by these guys. Supposedly it was not the fault of the kids, but a bad organization. I hounded and hounded them. Found info online and spoke to a guy who said he would make everything better if I faxed my receipt, etc. etc. and still never got the magazines. This is the one time I ever left my guard down, actually handed this kid cash, and sure enough I was ripped off. Never again.
Hugh

Whitehall, PA

#39 Feb 1, 2009
Selling door to door is illegal, unless you have a permit. I had someone trying to sell magazines and his sales pitch, was that he was going to send the magazines to the troops overseas.
I promptly called the police and guess what; the Allentwon Police responded and arrested the scumbag.
A word of advice, if someone knocks on your door for sales, ask to see their permit. If they do not have one, there is a reason, and that reason is they are shady. Call the cops, and maybe you will have the same results.
But even worse than the magazine sales people are the moroons from Clean Water Action. When I asked to see their permit the guy told me to go F**K myself. He got lost before he could get locked up.
Scarletts Plantation

Lehighton, PA

#40 Feb 1, 2009
Hugh wrote:
Selling door to door is illegal, unless you have a permit. I had someone trying to sell magazines and his sales pitch, was that he was going to send the magazines to the troops overseas.
I promptly called the police and guess what; the Allentwon Police responded and arrested the scumbag.
A word of advice, if someone knocks on your door for sales, ask to see their permit. If they do not have one, there is a reason, and that reason is they are shady. Call the cops, and maybe you will have the same results.
But even worse than the magazine sales people are the moroons from Clean Water Action. When I asked to see their permit the guy told me to go F**K myself. He got lost before he could get locked up.
Those Clean Water Action people are very very rude!! I once told them I could not talk to them, I was totally busy, no time at all. A woman started to get cockey with me and tried to barge in my home. I yelled get out and slammed the door in her face. It's called, don't ya get it?
M Jones

Emmaus, PA

#41 Feb 1, 2009
Scarletts Plantation wrote:
<quoted text>
Those Clean Water Action people are very very rude!! I once told them I could not talk to them, I was totally busy, no time at all. A woman started to get cockey with me and tried to barge in my home. I yelled get out and slammed the door in her face. It's called, don't ya get it?
Never heard of this group before. Just looked at their web site and I can understand their cause. However, as in the prior posts, there is no need to be rude (especially 'guests' at YOUR home).

Just wondering -- how active are they here in the Allentown area?
tough crowd

Emmaus, PA

#42 Feb 1, 2009
I had the same kids come around last summer, they tell you that so-so down the street just ordered and you should too. My kids were watching tv in the living room and the windows were open, so they're yelling "mom there's someone at the door"! I did tell them no thank you. Oh you know who else is always calling on the phone for money is the state police!
WakeUp

Northampton, PA

#43 Feb 2, 2009
tough crowd wrote:
Oh you know who else is always calling on the phone for money is the state police!
THIS IS NOT THE STATE POLICE! The name they use is the state police benevolent association or something like that- it is NOT THE STATE POLICE'S UNION, EITHER!!!! They are in NO WAY connected to the Pa. State Police OR the State Police's Union (an FOP lodge.)

Since: Jun 08

Voorhees, NJ

#44 Feb 2, 2009
WakeUp wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS IS NOT THE STATE POLICE! The name they use is the state police benevolent association or something like that- it is NOT THE STATE POLICE'S UNION, EITHER!!!! They are in NO WAY connected to the Pa. State Police OR the State Police's Union (an FOP lodge.)
I agree, 20/20 did a report on this years ago and it still sticks in my head they are a group of scammers sitting in what looks like a warehouse with phones calling inocent people pretending to be from your local fire, police or whatever, the thig is your locals don't see any of that money... if you want to donate to your locals donate direct... i remind my parents of this everytime they get a call from these people or something in the mail...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aubrey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed Banfartos 708
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Tue Fartdog 843
Direct Subscription Services, Pilot Point (Dec '09) Apr '15 michael 36
News Gainesville man dies in house fire (Apr '09) Apr '15 1000 percent sure 514
News Man gets life in 1990 Collin County slaying (Jan '08) Mar '15 YouCannotBeSerious 146
Celina schools - texas Feb '15 Ond 3
Baseball camp Feb '15 Milo 1
More from around the web

Aubrey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]