Emmaus woman still waiting for subscription magazine from door-...

Door-to-door salesmen have reputations for being slick, and even though they don't come knocking as often as they used to, it's still wise to be wary. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fsfsdfsd

Bangor, PA

#1 Feb 1, 2009
Why don't you invite the door to door salesperson into your house to root through your personal items as well?

Since: Jun 08

Voorhees, NJ

#2 Feb 1, 2009
i didn't even think they had door to door salesmen anymore, until over the past few months they started showing up @ my door, i also had these same people selling magazines for prizes, but I'm not interested for one i work nights so they wake me up pounding on the door like the place was on fire, but the one that really made me think was the 2 a girl and a guy showed up at my door 2/3 days before Christmas collecting for something i took one look @ them and said hmmmm i don't think so...they didn't appear to be from any legit charity...people need to be aware do not ever leave anyone in your home for any reason... i remind my parents of this all the time... BEWARE!!!
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#3 Feb 1, 2009
Fools and their money are soon parted.
Suzanne

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Feb 1, 2009
A couple of summers back, we had a lot of kids trying to sell magazines in our neighborhood. The first one was such a joke. He showed me his ID card, and it had silly info on it, like "Height: short" and "Eyes: 2" I told him I wasn't interested and then called the police. Shortly after that, there was another one who was really slick. He said, "I was just talking to your neighbor Bob, and he said you're a nice person." I listened a little longer, but then I came to my senses and told him, "No," too. I remember saying that I don't read magazines or something, and he said, "If you don't need a magazine, you can donate money to buy books for children at the hospital where my mom works." Since then, my policy on the phone, at the door or anywhere else people are trying to sell things or ask for donations is this: I tell them that I only buy things or donate money to friends and family that I personally know. So far, that has worked well to turn off their "spiel."
scott

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Feb 1, 2009
hey dummies if this punk showed up at your door with a story about a magazine would you have been smart enough to call the cops?
Dr Feelgood

Coopersburg, PA

#6 Feb 1, 2009
P T Barnum still lives - "There's a sucker born every moment"
Staberdearth

Allentown, PA

#8 Feb 1, 2009
We took away the checkbook, credit cards, and cash from an elderly relative. She tended to be a soft touch for every hard luck story that came to the door or called on the phone. She always wants to help unfortunately she tends to trust everyone and often can't understand that people can be so corrupt.
Just Say No

Blakeslee, PA

#9 Feb 1, 2009
I would have thought this old scam would have increased last summer, when gas prices were $4 a gallon and people were staying home more. Maybe it started increasing then and is continuing now due to all the people who have lost their jobs.

I'm amazed that there are still people who will open their door to a total stranger. It could be a home invasion attempt or a rapist.
Amy B

Bangor, PA

#10 Feb 1, 2009
Dr Feelgood wrote:
P T Barnum still lives - "There's a sucker born every moment"
Amen, I "love" the 'we were afraid to hurt HIS feelings" comment. Come to my area, I have to vintage covered bridges to sell you. CHEAP and Ill talk your ear off too. FOOLS !!
I would be embarrassed to have my name put in the newspaper lol

“It's me, Fred!”

Since: Oct 08

Lehigh Valley, PA

#11 Feb 1, 2009
There's even a bunch of College kids that sell alarm systems door to door during the summer! Some company from Utah I think.

You can sell anything door to door.

Learn to say NO!
SmokersAreLosers

AOL

#12 Feb 1, 2009
If you're dumb enuff to buy something from a peddler walking door-to-door.....you should get wacked!!

No pity here....move on, folks.
bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#13 Feb 1, 2009
It's not just door to door crooks its also ad in the MC such as DishOne. One you make the deal they say you have to go to the person they hired for your rebate. Well good luck there.
Why Not Buy OnLine

Whitehall, PA

#14 Feb 1, 2009
Wow, door to door magazine purchases? If you want Rolling Stone, just go to their website? I continue to not understand people and how they just give away their money to strangers.
Palmerton

Kunkletown, PA

#15 Feb 1, 2009
I don,t like answering the door if I don,t know the person.I,ve had a few sales people that didn,t seem to take no I,am not buying anything for a answer. And for years I,ve had church people come to my door.when I tell them I belong to the church down the street they say thats what they all say.I,ve even ask them nicely not to come to my house anymore. Now there at my door every week.
Amused Crack-er

Allentown, PA

#16 Feb 1, 2009
''It looked really weird. We felt uncomfortable.''

And yet they subscribed? What fools! May they never get their magazine subscription so they can LEARN from their lack of common sense.
Didnt Need It

Macungie, PA

#17 Feb 1, 2009
Here's my philosophy:

If I didn't need it BEFORE they came knocking, I certainly don't need it when they do knock.
And if I DID need it BEFORE they knock, I simply wouldn't buy anything from a door to door solicitor.

I will say however, there are some pretty SLICK kids out there.

If you look the situation for a single minute, they know everything about you and you know nothing about them!!
WakeUp

Northampton, PA

#18 Feb 1, 2009
Everyone who is wary (and everyone needs to be wary) of door-to-door salesmen should check with their local Code Enforcement Office. Most communities have ordinances requiring these people to obtain permits for soliciting. Part of the permit requirement is for the employer to provide a license, which will have the address and phone numbers. This is why when they come to my door and knock, I ask to see their "permit to solicit" and they immediately bid me a good day and go back down the sidewalk.
Lehigh Valley Observer

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Feb 1, 2009
OK, I was scammed by the same group. I bought a magazine subscription fron a kid who said he was raising money for the some society for retarded kids. He, himself, seemed challenged. I felt sorry for him and bought a subscrption to Guitar Magazine. He said the person in his group that sells the most magazines wins a trip to Cancun. He gave me a sticker for my door that said he was there already so other people from his group wouldn't knock on my door. It sounded like he was with a group of people canvasing the neighborhood. He stuttered and seemed shy. I felt like I was dealing with a retarded kid and thought I should be nice. However, I became suspicious when he pushed me to give cash and seemed to not like my check. He gave me a receipt(RL something) and I googled it and found out it was a scam. He never cashed the check. We never got our magazine.
I will never buy anything from a kid at my door again.
richiep

South River, NJ

#22 Feb 1, 2009
Just Say No wrote:
I'm amazed that there are still people who will open their door to a total stranger. It could be a home invasion attempt or a rapist.
And it could be a new neighbor coming over to introduce themselves. Your comment is just too typical of the way too many people live today... in total fear. Sure, there are risks in life and you take reasonable precautions, but to live in fear like that day in and day out?? I'd rather be dead!
RonMania

Topton, PA

#23 Feb 1, 2009
David-1206 wrote:
Fools and their money are soon parted.
I presume you mean women as that was what the article was about-stupidity & women, especially ones with hyphenated last names. LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aubrey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Need Assistance Nov '14 Truth is might 2
Unfinished Home on N. Custer Road between ManeG... (Jun '14) Nov '14 Cher Hukill 2
women (Feb '09) Oct '14 Mr Patel 3
looking to relocate. looking for rent house Oct '14 Educated 3
MEGATEL Salesperson ARRESTED Paloma Creek Sep '14 marci 3

Aubrey News Video

Aubrey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Aubrey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Aubrey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Aubrey

Personal Finance