Single mom is suing seller of meth house

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

Her Stow home is frozen in time. The kids' clothes, their beds, the family photos, everything they own remains untouched, just as they left it almost a year ago.
Comments
1 - 20 of 177 Comments Last updated Feb 6, 2009
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Yes

Twinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 25, 2008
 
So much a financial disater that she can pay for those lawyers. I am sure they are representing this poor single mother for free.
abc

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 25, 2008
 
I don't understand why the headline has "Single Mom" in it. The fact that she is a single mom has nothing to do with the case and seems the purpose is only to some how gain sympathy for the woman.
Yep

Northfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 25, 2008
 
abc wrote:
I don't understand why the headline has "Single Mom" in it. The fact that she is a single mom has nothing to do with the case and seems the purpose is only to some how gain sympathy for the woman.
Good one. Why do I never hear anyone lamenting the fate of a single Dad?
justme

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 25, 2008
 
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one. Why do I never hear anyone lamenting the fate of a single Dad?
Probably because there are so few of them. This lady deserves all the sympathy she can get. What is wrong with people when they have to pick on someone who is in the middle of a crisis? Her kids are sick from this. Is that not worth one's sympathy?
justme

Loudonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 25, 2008
 
Yes wrote:
So much a financial disater that she can pay for those lawyers. I am sure they are representing this poor single mother for free.
Did you ever hear of lawyers working on commision? They might only get paid if she gets justice. Why so angry at the woman you don't even know whose kids got sick from this?
impeach marco

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 25, 2008
 
right is right and wrong is wrong selling the house without disclosing that it had and may have hazmat is wrong

Since: Oct 07

Encino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 25, 2008
 
I hope she wins her case. It is rediculous that the seller did not disclose this information. You cannot sweep things like this under a rug and hope they never come out.
LizRaines

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 25, 2008
 
Dear Angela,

I wish you and your children the best. I pray that none of you experiences any long-term health effects because of all this, and that you all will soon have a nice, safe home to live in.

Also, Warner is a good advocate to have on your side.
A Mom

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 25, 2008
 
Angela - You did the right thing by moving your children. Too many parents put their children second - especially if it's involving a huge financial decision like yours was to leave your home. Good luck to you on your battle with the previous owner(s) and the justice system. I hope common sense prevails in this. I feel bad for both parties - I don't know that the previous owner knew the history of the home since it was bought at auction. If I were in your shoes, I think that's where I would start - the paperwork describing the house at the time of auction - did the party (I'm assuming a sherrif's department) know it's history? Yes - they raided it. Did they disclose the history to the person who bought it at auction? You may be going after the wrong person in this case. Best of luck to you and your family.
Idiot Spotter

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 25, 2008
 
I hope -- and expect -- this woman to win her case. This will be a very interesting case to watch and will set a precedent. In fact, I would expect this not even going to trial. I would expect the previous owner to settle out of court as the facts, etc. start coming out.

I applaud this homeowner for standing up for her rights -- and the failure of the previous owner to follow disclosure laws.
UMM

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 25, 2008
 
a pond in her back yard. Did the meth folks hide and possibly POLLUTE the water?
ramon

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 25, 2008
 
Yes wrote:
So much a financial disater that she can pay for those lawyers. I am sure they are representing this poor single mother for free.
Can you say contingency????????

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 25, 2008
 
Hmmm, more information is needed. As usual, the ABJ fell short on their reportin'.

Did she and her children have a miraculous recovery after movin' from the house?? Did she have the house tested for lingerin' chemical residue?? And on and on.

Without knowin' these things, it's tough to support the womans allegations.
OMG

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 25, 2008
 
If ever there was need for a big payout lawsuit, this is the case. It's unreal that she was not informed this was a former meth lab when she was buying the place. Where was the disclosure form that we all have to fillin and sign when we sell a property? Sounds like the seller pulled one over on her, and now he must pay.
Ciar

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 25, 2008
 
I feel bad for the mom but she may be going after the wrong person.
The person that sold her the house bought it at an auction. He may not have known.
If the Sherrif's Department didn't disclose it to him then it is the Sherrifs Dept that she should go after.

Everyone here is blaming the seller without knowing the facts. Maybe he didn't know.

The mother wasn't able to get evidence of the raid on her own either. There weren't any reports. She only found out the fact of it being a meth lab because of a friend from the force.

Since: Jan 08

Akron

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 25, 2008
 
problem is, there is no law requiring disclosure of a meth lab. meth cooking chemicals are normal household stuff, not hazmat, so there isn't a legal requirement for disclosure. does it suck? yes. have people been grumbling about this for years looking for help? yes! the state (ODH) needs to get on the ball and make laws about meth houses, how to clean them and how to certify that they're clean enough to be habitable

on the other side of this story, the woman stopped paying her house note. the bank is going to repossess it. she should have never stopped paying the note. now she's divorced, with kids, with bad credit due to a foreclosure...bad situation made worse unfortunately. I feel for her, but she made her bed when she stopped paying.
MONEY FOR NOTHING

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 25, 2008
 
What an interesting situation.
1)Sheriffs sales are "as-is" without ANY warranty.
Buyer beware has reached a new level.
2}Did initial buyer have any knowledge of meth history?If any witness can be brought forth to confirm that he knew, he was in violation of disclosure law.If not then he was in compliance at time of sale.
3}The mortgage company will lose in either case since they will not be able to recoop loss at foreclosure and will be unable to collect from either buyer or seller.
With the proliferation of these contaminated properties the time is long past due for the legislators to clarify new property transfer rules.
A meth check along with your house inspection?.
Go Figure

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 25, 2008
 
She should win. I don't care if she is a single mother or not. That has no barring on this story at all. If he knew and that can be proven then, she should be given back her money. Meth is some serious stuff, and the process of making meth is dangerous. All of those chemicals soak into the walls during the "cooking"process.
WORM

Bristolville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 25, 2008
 
as an environmental graduate i often wondered how all these meth home didnt need to be torn down due to this. i guess maybe they should have been.......

“It's 5 o'clock somewhere”

Since: Sep 07

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 25, 2008
 
me-ksu alum wrote:
problem is, there is no law requiring disclosure of a meth lab. meth cooking chemicals are normal household stuff, not hazmat, so there isn't a legal requirement for disclosure. does it suck? yes. have people been grumbling about this for years looking for help? yes! the state (ODH) needs to get on the ball and make laws about meth houses, how to clean them and how to certify that they're clean enough to be habitable
on the other side of this story, the woman stopped paying her house note. the bank is going to repossess it. she should have never stopped paying the note. now she's divorced, with kids, with bad credit due to a foreclosure...bad situation made worse unfortunately. I feel for her, but she made her bed when she stopped paying.
What part of "According to government information, toxic chemicals used in meth labs include methanol, ether, benzene, methylene chloride, trichloroethane and toluene." did you not read? These are toxic chemicals, haszardous materials! Trucks carrying these chemicals must display hazmat plaquards. Yes "other common household chemicals used include muriatic acid, sodium hydroxide, table salt and ammonia" but they aren't the only ones. Read the whole article next time.

I fell bad for the mom and her kids and hope for a happy and just outcome.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 7 hr Jerry K 30,231
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed Marvin Levels 188
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
Deadly Accident in Portage County; Man Leaves D... (Aug '09) Jul 31 cheyanne marie 70
East Liverpool Municipal Jul 25 Wanda Baker 1
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill ... 231
Debate: Greatest Villains - Randolph, OH Jul '14 Rick 1

Search the Atwater Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Atwater Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atwater People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Atwater News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Atwater
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••