Fishers at California Aqueduct should take precautions

Apr 18, 2007 Read more: Merced Sun-Star.com 33

“I know you can fall right into that sucker”

Los Banos fisherman Paul Rivas has been fishing the California Aqueduct for most of his life, but a recent slip and fall on the waterway's steep concrete slope almost killed him. via Merced Sun-Star.com

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jojo818

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jan 21, 2011
Ues ove been fined $850.00 not a joke
Mike A

Dublin, CA

#23 Jan 28, 2011
Been fishing the Cal Aqueduct for over 20 yrs.,mainly just below the check at Bethany Res. and have swam there a few times on hot days,when water was running,and when checks were closed.My take is if you are a poor swimmer or non swimmer then stay out or take above mentioned precautions. Water there is pretty cool in summer and very very cold in winter.If fishing up current of a check be very careful,as the current is fast,and a trip through the gates will probably bang you up pretty good,below check is no big deal,just float down current to one of the ladders,or buoy lines and pull yourself out.
Mr Catfish

Modesto, CA

#24 Jul 28, 2011
We Noodle in the aquaduct, near the gates and siphoons. The currents a little rough but if you toss a few down to the point where your calm before going in , it sure as hell helps. There are some huge catfish in the canel . Judd HillBilly Bob Thorten.
ed68coug

Modesto, CA

#25 May 19, 2012
"Noodle in the aquducts near gates and siphons" my azz Mr Catfish!!! Post a video then. You're full of ish!!!
NHAT

San Jose, CA

#26 May 22, 2012
hey guys, i am planing to head south to SANTA NELA area to fish for some bass and cat fish. but my friends tell me that the best time to fish there is when the gates are close but i can not seem to find any where that has a listing for when the pump and gates are open any help would greatly be appricated.
Troy E

United States

#27 May 23, 2012
NHAT wrote:
hey guys, i am planing to head south to SANTA NELA area to fish for some bass and cat fish. but my friends tell me that the best time to fish there is when the gates are close but i can not seem to find any where that has a listing for when the pump and gates are open any help would greatly be appricated.
I have fished there and have caught nothing. Found an interesting place near gusting I would like to try someday. Hit my email and perhaps we could swap info ... Troy. tekdad@ymail.com
Ana

Richmond, CA

#28 Aug 28, 2012
The man that is missing and is mentioned in this article is a family member. They have not found his body and we are all praying that he turns up.....after reading everyone's comments I fear that he is no longer with us....please help us with your prayers...thanks.
Rachel

Moreno Valley, CA

#29 Jan 8, 2013
hey there I know this forum is older, But I stumbled upon it looking up aqueduct information. I am new to the area and right by our home runs the aqueduct. I have been walking out there with my dog,whom is fine without a leash. I was wondering exactly HOW dangerous it was if he were to slip in? I avoid allowing him in there. But I'm curious if I should take more precautions with him near it.Thanks!
dana c

United States

#30 Mar 22, 2013
Rachel wrote:
hey there I know this forum is older, But I stumbled upon it looking up aqueduct information. I am new to the area and right by our home runs the aqueduct. I have been walking out there with my dog,whom is fine without a leash. I was wondering exactly HOW dangerous it was if he were to slip in? I avoid allowing him in there. But I'm curious if I should take more precautions with him near it.Thanks!


The stretch of aqueduct from the forebay to the first pumping station is pretty safe when the water isn't moving really fast. My dogs stay on the edge with no problems.
Acoolname

Covina, CA

#31 May 23, 2013
Anyone want to go aqueduct fishing with me tonight? Thinking of heading out to lancaster, Im in San Dimas
lorenzo

Fresno, CA

#33 Jul 5, 2014
we went fishing on the aqueduct july 3 2014 in the late evening just before dusk on a bridge. spiders was everywhere and the darker it got the more that came out. and as the time was passing they were getting larger and larger. we got the hell outta there. does anyone know what kind of spiders they are? looks like the younger ones are food for the older ones. younger ones are white older ones are brownish with huge backends.
if anyone knws about them let me know
The right is wrong

Lincoln, CA

#34 Jul 5, 2014
lorenzo wrote:
we went fishing on the aqueduct july 3 2014 in the late evening just before dusk on a bridge. spiders was everywhere and the darker it got the more that came out. and as the time was passing they were getting larger and larger. we got the hell outta there. does anyone know what kind of spiders they are? looks like the younger ones are food for the older ones. younger ones are white older ones are brownish with huge backends.
if anyone knws about them let me know
Where can I get some of the drugs you're on?
jessica

Whitehall, MT

#35 Jul 9, 2014
um WHY would ANYONE fish or swim in that? EVERYONE in Cali knows there are DEAD BODIES IN THERE!!!!
F*#*ING GROSS!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how to enjoy a married life 18 hr Humhainna 2
Wife ki chudai 19 hr Humhainna 9
kooi ga Fri Veer 3
i m sameer Mar 27 Gilligan 2
why did castle abf close Mar '15 desperado 1
Anyone hear shots fired on thursday near winton... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Anonymous 1
gangs and drugs in atwater (Feb '09) Aug '14 jenn 21
More from around the web

Atwater People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]