Mass. trooper killed by passing vehicle - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

A Massachusetts state trooper has died after being struck by a passing vehicle during a traffic stop.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2010
Jimmy says

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

So very sad, may he rest in peace and the Lord watch over his family.
thank you for your duty and service.
Dominican Nerd

Sterling, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2010

This is sad. I think that when the state police pull people over they should direct them to the next exit. That way these tragedies can be avoided. It's common sense.
Connected

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

It is a tragedy that this trooper got killed. my heart and prayers go out to his family.

Now to talk about the case itself; lets not allow the State to charge one of these drivers with an OUI when he passed the breathalyzer.

It was an accident that happened; lets not turn it into a "brotherhood " thing and attack one of these drivers!! I don't know if the other driver past but it is stated that one of the drivers passed and was stilled charged!

If this is fact, it needs to be corrected asap! The "brotherhood" could be worse than the mob! The only difference sometimes is one has a badge to com mit crimes and the other does not!
Needs a Tin Foil Hat

Brighton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Connected wrote:
It is a tragedy that this trooper got killed. my heart and prayers go out to his family.
Now to talk about the case itself; lets not allow the State to charge one of these drivers with an OUI when he passed the breathalyzer.
It was an accident that happened; lets not turn it into a "brotherhood " thing and attack one of these drivers!! I don't know if the other driver past but it is stated that one of the drivers passed and was stilled charged!
If this is fact, it needs to be corrected asap! The "brotherhood" could be worse than the mob! The only difference sometimes is one has a badge to com mit crimes and the other does not!
Just because one passes a breathylizer doesn't automatically mean they weren't driving impaired. Consider other drugs, fatigued, on cell phone, etc. Don't think we have all the facts here to judge yet. However, the fact remains the person plowed into a stopped vehicle at a high rate of speed in a construction zone.(those "reduce speed, Construction Zone" signs aren't just for show you know)
Seriously

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Connected wrote:
You know, I just saw this same type of post on another article. You should probably educate yourself a bit and realize that one can still be charged if under the legal limit. There are also a variety of other charges that someone can face while negligently operating a motor vehicle, especially when it results of the death of another.
There's no such thing as an "accident" in the Massachusetts legal system. You dont just kill someone with your car and society responds with "oops, well, if you didnt mean to".
This man needs to be held responsible the same as any other motorist who operated his vehicle in an unsafe manner. I'm sure if it was your husband, father, brother, etc. the whole "sorry it was an accident" wouldn't apply. Funny, some idiot in a BMW kills a woman walking down the street and the whole town is up in arms, yet some trooper on the job gets nailed by some idiot who had a few drinks in him and all of a sudden it turns into an accident? Running someone over and killing them with your car is a crime in this state...whether you're drunk, partially impaired, sober. Whether you meant to, or it was an accident as you referred to it. Good thing it wasnt one of your precious flagman...
charge accordingly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2010

Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I just saw this same type of post on another article. You should probably educate yourself a bit and realize that one can still be charged if under the legal limit. There are also a variety of other charges that someone can face while negligently operating a motor vehicle, especially when it results of the death of another.
There's no such thing as an "accident" in the Massachusetts legal system. You dont just kill someone with your car and society responds with "oops, well, if you didnt mean to".
This man needs to be held responsible the same as any other motorist who operated his vehicle in an unsafe manner. I'm sure if it was your husband, father, brother, etc. the whole "sorry it was an accident" wouldn't apply. Funny, some idiot in a BMW kills a woman walking down the street and the whole town is up in arms, yet some trooper on the job gets nailed by some idiot who had a few drinks in him and all of a sudden it turns into an accident? Running someone over and killing them with your car is a crime in this state...whether you're drunk, partially impaired, sober. Whether you meant to, or it was an accident as you referred to it. Good thing it wasnt one of your precious flagman...
There was one car pulled over already and a second car came careening into them both. President Bush got arested for OUI and the first lady Laura Bush killed someone with her car.

Now I wonder if the person has connection like Laura Bush then they should receive Zero time,correct? Oh the person Laura killed was a college freshman and just began to experience life so where do you cateragize this status against a trooper?

When people state accident, it was an accident. It was a tragedy, I am sure the person didn't say oh geez theres a trooper let me run him over! What I am saying is God Bless his family and friends as they grieve but don't hang these two motorist just because it was a trooper!!

And if 100% of the time that a driver passed a breathalizer they did not lose their license then these drivers shouldn't either! Don't overcharge because it was a trooper; let them be charged as if it was a regular average citizen fixing a tire!
Seriously

Newton Center, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2010

They charge average citizens all of the time with BAC's of .06. Overcharge? You've got to be kidding me.
As for the rest of your reasoning, people still pay for accident's in our legal system. Impaired motor vehicle operation can hardly be called an accident, especially when the result is a loss of another's life.
As for the rest of your reasoning, apples and oranges. We all know people like the Bush and Kennedy's live under a different set of rules, regardless of whether that's fair or not.
This was a man, under enough alcohol to be considered a triable level, and he killed a state trooper. I'd say they're going to be a prosecution and conviction. And if you really believe in your post, Im assuming you feel like the guy racing his BMW a ways back and killing that woman walking down the road should should have charges dismissed, right? I mean, an accident's an accident...you obviously feel as though the charges stemming from negligent operation which results in vehic. homicide should just be thrown out?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Attleboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Attleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••