Storm Survivors Face Financial Mess

Storm Survivors Face Financial Mess

There are 6 comments on the WREG story from May 5, 2010, titled Storm Survivors Face Financial Mess. In it, WREG reports that:

Nearly every homeowner in the neighborhood near Meade Lake Road has a story of survival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

Memphrica Resident

Arlington, TN

#1 May 5, 2010
Is it me, or does anyone find it odd that no one around here has flood insurance and we're right by the Mississippi? Use some common sense people, get flood insurance you never know when something like this is going to happen!
Darth_Gibb

Memphis, TN

#2 May 6, 2010
I was confused earlier this week about flood insurance. I was told (erroneously) that the federal government only lets certain people buy flood insurance. While that does sound like something stupid that would be par for the course for our lovely government, it is untrue.

I called my insurance agent and he set me straight. Flood insurance is available for anyone who wants to purchase it. I plan to go in and discuss adding it to my insurance package and I suggest that anyone who thinks they may flood do the same.
rshaffer61

Memphis, TN

#3 May 6, 2010
Flood insurance is a must but it won't cover anything that is caused by the city like a drainage canal or ditch. That is my problem now.It does no good when the city won't fix a known problem. My house has flooded twice since last June and I have pointed out the problem to the maintenance department again for the 7th time. Yet they turn the other way and let it continue to happen. A simple fix like replacing a drainage pipe and the city would rather put a bandage on the problem instead of fixing. Typical political bull at work.
Darth_Gibb

Memphis, TN

#4 May 6, 2010
rshaffer61 wrote:
Flood insurance is a must but it won't cover anything that is caused by the city like a drainage canal or ditch. That is my problem now.It does no good when the city won't fix a known problem. My house has flooded twice since last June and I have pointed out the problem to the maintenance department again for the 7th time. Yet they turn the other way and let it continue to happen. A simple fix like replacing a drainage pipe and the city would rather put a bandage on the problem instead of fixing. Typical political bull at work.
Hadn't considered that!! So if a third party has an identified hazard and fails to mitigate it, the insurance company is off the hook. Dang, it sux but it sounds right when you think about (from a legal standpoint). I guess recourse is due now from the city. Too bad it doesn't work like uninsured motorist claims: the insurance company fixes your damages and sues the person responsible.

Have you consulted an attorney with reards to suing the city?
Latasha

Memphis, TN

#5 May 6, 2010
rshaffer61 wrote:
I bet if they had to start shelling out money for lawsuits that would change.
rshaffer61

Memphis, TN

#6 May 9, 2010
Lawyers cost money and like so many others we live paycheck to paycheck and barely at that.
With my wife having surgery and then going to be off work for 6 weeks we have no money for this. Even if a lawyer was to accept the case it could be years before this god forsaken city does anything to help the hard working home owners here. They find any reason to blame someone else for their lack of pro-active work. I would have handled it better if one of the maintenance men that showed up was not cracking jokes about the amount of water in my house. Shows you how cold hearted this city government is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atoka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Restaurants (Dec '15) 15 hr Anon 7
Good chance for Gallaway 23 hr Don 4
big thanks!!! Nov 27 River Oaks Folks 1
News Others indicted on drug charges Nov 26 Anon 2
Power Nov 16 curious 1
Congrats Gallaway Nov 12 Les 7
In Search of Rental (Apr '15) Oct '16 Long Darby 2

Atoka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance