Wiconsin man arrested in traffic stop...

Wiconsin man arrested in traffic stop that nets $134,000

There are 29 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 16, 2010, titled Wiconsin man arrested in traffic stop that nets $134,000. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A traffic stop on Interstate 80 in western Iowa has netted over $100,000 in cash and led to a money laundering charge against a Wisconsin man.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
muD

New York, NY

#22 Sep 16, 2010
The real question is what probable cause was there for searching the car and finding a false compartment? Unless it fell open while the officer was explaining the ticket, was there something in plain sight?

As far as seizing the cash goes, that is perfectly legal. The Supreme Court has ruled that only people are innocent until proven guilty. Property, boats, cars, houses, cash, jewelry, etc.. has no assumption of innocence. All the police have to do is accuse your property of being involved in a crime and they can seize it. You have to hire a lawyer and prove your property is innocent. Generally speaking the police try to find evidence you committed a crime, but not always. And the number of people arrested, and then released without ever seeing the inside of a courtroom while their property is forfeited, is not small. They've been doing this since the nineties.
TooHotTooTrot

Boise, ID

#23 Sep 16, 2010
Mike the Vike wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it is Illegal to carry around cash that is obtained illegally or fake.
Fake I'll grant you, but prove obtained illegally!!!!

Is this not a country where you are innocent until PROVEN guilty?
dum dums

Cook, MN

#24 Sep 16, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
If you drive by posters had bothered to read the story, it might have been explained.
you of all people should know the content of articles on this site change hourly.
Twins

Montevideo, MN

#25 Sep 16, 2010
Once again people read a short article and think all the details are explained. I'm sure the guy just emptied his piggy bank and was going shopping. Law enforcement can't win, people bitch no matter what they do.
Poindexter

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Sep 16, 2010
iowa police are thieves and liars. they're pocketing more than half of what they're stealing from people. you know they're racists too. of course they are.

Since: Feb 08

Big Lake, MN

#27 Sep 16, 2010
sock wrote:
Sounds like Highway robbery to me.
You're telling me. Remember folks, you DO NOT have to consent to an illegal search. If they have probable cause, let the police get a search warrant.
matthew

Wentzville, MO

#28 Sep 16, 2010
Big Laker wrote:
<quoted text>
You're telling me. Remember folks, you DO NOT have to consent to an illegal search. If they have probable cause, let the police get a search warrant.
If you consent to the search it's not illegal. According to the supreme court cops don't need probable cause to pull you over and in the process of the traffic stop can ask you if they can search your car. If you refuse the search just about every judge in the country will say thats probable cause for a search warrant.

If the cops pull me over and want to search my car, they can any time they want to because i'm not a scumbag criminal. If I have 134,000 dollars in cash I will have a receipt from a bank and proof that it didn't come from illegal activities because i'm not a scumbag criminal. Also, you won't find a small amount of drugs in my car with 134,000 dollars in cash why, because i'm not a scumbag criminal.

Don't be a scumbag criminal and every encounter with law enforcement will go a smoothly as mine do.
matthew

Wentzville, MO

#29 Sep 16, 2010
TooHotTooTrot wrote:
<quoted text>
Fake I'll grant you, but prove obtained illegally!!!!
Is this not a country where you are innocent until PROVEN guilty?
I love how people throw this one around like they know what it means "innocent until proven guilty". The cops can assume your guilty, that's why they can arrest you. They then take the evidence to a Prosecuting Attorney who assumes your guilty and files formal charges against you before a judge. The Judge then reads the charges against you and asked for your plea to the charges, Then assuming your guilty based on the fact you have charges against you, determines if you are held until trial or granted bail. You are then assumed guilty and the case goes to trial. The prosecuting attorney says your guilty before a jury but before the trial court and the jury you are innocent until proven guilty, meaning the state must prove your guilty to a jury beyond any reasonable doubt.
It's unlike the system in England where when in court the jury believes your guilty and you have to prove your innocent beyond any reasonable doubt (one of the reasons we declared ourselves independent). The cops have every right to think your guilty.
Tom

Saint Paul, MN

#30 Sep 17, 2010
JamieinMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Um I read the entire thing. Lots of cash, small amount of drugs. AGAIN, where doe sit say he obtained the cash ILLEGALLY????
It doe not sit that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlantic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
serious date Apr '17 Alice 1
Walnut Fudge (Nov '16) Nov '16 Miles Standish 1
New narc in town (Sep '14) Sep '14 Hoover Niebold 1
does anyone know of (Aug '14) Aug '14 Just wondering 1
glbt people in rural ia? (Sep '11) Aug '14 ajk 3
News Iowa coach's certificate revoked; he's accused ... (May '13) May '13 Concerned parent 1
ky gate haulers (Jun '12) Apr '13 emery mcdonald 2

Atlantic Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlantic Mortgages