Lawsuits Against Harrah's Still Growing
Posted in the Atlantic City Forum
Since: Feb 08
#1 Jun 8, 2010
Monday, June 07, 2010
By Jason Laday
BRIDGETON - Four new harassment and discrimination lawsuits have been filed against Harrah's Atlantic City and its sister resorts in an ongoing series of litigation brought against the hotel-casinos by two city lawyers.
Two of the new complaints come from former employees at Harrah's and Showboat Atlantic City, which is owned by Harrah's Entertainment.
They claim they were the victims of sexual harassment and were in various ways retaliated against for reporting the alleged abuse.
One of the newly-filed complaints names Jeffery Chafe, a supervisor at Harrah's, as a defendant.
Chafe has been named in eight other complaints made by Harrah's employees since last year.
The other two new complaints are by current employees - one at Harrah's and the other at Caesar's, also owned by Harrah's Entertainment - who say they have suffered harassment and undeserved disciplinary action for reporting abuse, which included alleged acts of sexual harassment.
"The (resort) unions and Harrah's knew about these abuses while these defendants were still employed there," said Bridgeton attorney Tom Seeley, who is representing the alleged harassment victims with fellow city attorney Ted Baker.
In a statement earlier this year, Harrah's spokeswoman Alyce Parker said, "Harrah's has no tolerance for sexual harassment or sexual misconduct by any of its employees, and we always encourage employees to immediately bring these types of issues to our attention so we can investigate and take appropriate action."
One of the new complaints describes a case in which Chaffe made repeated belligerent comments and jokes directed at a female cocktail server at Harrah's about her gender and Hispanic ethnicity.
The complaint alleges that written and oral complaints were ignored by company human resources officials as well as union representatives.
Another complaint, which includes new defendants, states a female poker room employee at Showboat had been the victim of derogatorycomments about sexual acts supervisors stated she would perform with others.
Supervisors Kellie DeCelis and Hoon Cho are named, among other management officials, in the complaint.
The complaint continues, noting that the alleged victim was ultimately fired while DeCelis received a promotion.
An additional complaint describes the alleged conduct of John Arthur, Harrah's poker room manager, making discriminatory remarks about people's race, gender and sexual orientation.
"Among other things, John Arthur referred to women as wenches, remarked that he carried a ni - stick and that a certain employee was a pole smoker in describing a homosexual," reads the complaint.
The complaints states a shift manager in the poker room who had, among others, sent written and verbal complaints to Arthur as well as management and human resources officials.
However, the shift manager stated he later had problem taking time off work in anticipation of his wife giving birth to triplets and the care she would require in the months following.
The complaint states: "É John Arthur, among other things, stated at one point when the plaintiff explained that his absence was due to his need to transport his wife to and from the hospital, I don't know why you have to take off work; can't your wife just take a cab?
The last complaint describes how a front desk manager at Caesars had attempted to report the conduct of Alan Noble, director of hotel operations at the resort, who a hotel guest had accused of sexually assaulting him. The complaint also states Noble had sexually harassed male and female employees and guests at the hotel in the past.
The front desk manager forwarded his report to the resort's vice president of operations.
However, the complaint alleges the manager later began receiving negative performance reports that were filed without his signature in addition to other "contrived" disciplinary actions.
Since: Feb 08
#2 Jun 8, 2010
Lawsuits against Harrah's still growing
Monday, June 07, 2010
By Jason Laday
There are now 32 lawsuits filed against Harrah's and its sister resorts by the Bridgeton attorneys since last year.
They are seeking exemplary damages against the gaming giant, and a cash amount to deter any repeat bad behavior.
©2010 Bridgeton News
© 2010 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.
#3 Jun 9, 2010
Very interesting - lets see if Harrah's lets this go so far as to get to court or if they settle out of court ? I would think the
nature of the business would justify that the casinos have some
form of insurance in place to cover such lawsuits ?
Jarruda / north jersey
#4 Jun 12, 2010
But then this is Harrahs,who started the DOWNFALL of A/C!!!
#5 Jun 14, 2010
If you check out world Casino news = Harrah's may be forced to do another public stock offering to try to alleviate some of the massive debt it piled up with acquisitions in 2007.
Right now Harrah's has 577 million tied up in a partnership with
a Chinese company in Macau and they can't do anything about it because the partner company is owned by the son of Crime Boss HO,
so AC will not allow Harrah's to operate any of the AC casinos if they go thru with a Casino in Macau. AC has already forced
MGM Mirage to put their 1/2 of Borgata up for sale because of
Mirage's association In Macau with Ho's daughter.
So its a Catch 22 for Harrah's because who has the money in the
present economy to buy the 4 casino's they own in NJ ?
Sometimes the "Big Fish" bite off more than they can chew and
then they CHOKE instead.
JArruda / north jersey
#6 Feb 17, 2012
Harrah's needs to get hit hard so they will put an end to this discrimination of its employees. It's the 21st century, this type of behavior should not be tolerated, nobody deserves to be treated that way! It's shameful.
#7 Mar 16, 2014
The question is WHY KEEPS ON HAPPENING? don't they learn something from it, and why the offenders, are given AWARDS?
#8 Mar 22, 2014
Face it, folks, no matter how many times they reshuffle the deck, AC is not just down and out, it's on it's back! They can build all kinds of well intentioned projects, but the numbers speak for themselves with people not using AC as a destination. Especially now that the FBI has come out and said AC is number two in the State for crimes and Camden is number one! Would you go party in a hood and bring the wife and kids there and expect to come out of there alive? Not me!!!
Add your comments below
|Atlantic City Fire Capt arrested in Somers Poin...||Dec 14||Jay Z||1|
|PleasantvilleA a a s Pressley backs off plan to... (Aug '07)||Dec 5||JeromeHater||2|
|Icahn Says Taj Mahal is a 'bad investment' only...||Dec 1||jsd||1|
|Wind-induced creaks common in wood homes - Sun,...||Nov 30||ggwood||1|
|Protests in AC||Nov 30||Katelyn||1|
|Night Clubs-Age Limit? (Sep '07)||Nov 27||Brandon17||16|
|Arabs want to Build Playground in AC||Nov 27||lol||2|
Find what you want!
Search Atlantic City Forum Now
Atlantic City News Video
Copyright © 2014 Topix LLC