Mayport Road Taking On New Look with ...

Mayport Road Taking On New Look with Construction

There are 45 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from May 8, 2008, titled Mayport Road Taking On New Look with Construction. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

Talk Back: Post a comment on this article By Roger Weeder First Coast News ATLANTIC BEACH, FL - A blighted stretch of Mayport Road is getting a new look that city leaders hope will change attitudes and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

“Red Is The Color Of Blood!”

Since: Mar 08

Jax

#21 May 23, 2008
Still blighted and pissed wrote:
First of all I am not Dan nor do I feel the need to hide my identity. I work at the Brass Anchor Pub and have for 5 years and have worked in this strip mall for the better part of 11 years. Obviously you "Fiery Red" do feel the need. You know almost every thing about Mayport Rd, it's your job? And that would make you a cop? One of the Planning Committee? A hooker? None of which will be adversely affected by the changes, but will actually benefit. You are too busy being defense and rude to get the point, the Mayport people are not complaining about the medians or the stupid palm trees, we are complaining about the lack of access to local businesses, and the fact that the cruise ships seem to be the focal point as opposed to the people who already live here. Oh that's right we don't matter, because we are a blight. You want to do something about making Mayport Rd. nicer, then do something about the Palms, that is your blight, and what a lovely aerial view we get from the fly over. Do something about the hoards of homeless that are now congregating in packs behind the strip malls. Do something about the hookers, the crackheads and the dealers out all night. Do you really think a few palm trees are going to make all that go away. No you are just taking the problems and decorating them with palm trees.
Oh, and by the way, you are still hiding your identity. If you want to blast me for that(acting as if you have revealed your identity for all to see), at least put your full name on here so you don't look like a hypocrite.

Since: May 08

United States

#22 May 23, 2008
What is wrong with a cruise ship terminal? I love to go on cruises, and would love to be able to take a larger ship to the carribean out of Jax instead of having to go to Miami or Tampa. It will increase traffice a couple of days a week when they board and unboard.

Since: Jan 08

Washington, DC

#23 May 23, 2008
I heard from a friend who owns a shop down there that most of the work on Mayport Rd. has been done in the last 6 weeks or so? Is that correct? If so, that's amazing efficiency that should be communicated to the slow-as-dirt city construction workers I see around Jacksonville. I also heard the Navy was involved which would explain it.
Brass Owner

United States

#24 May 31, 2008
As the owner of Brass Anchor I have to say that my business has not suffered from the changes, but I do hear alot of complaints from customers & fellow business owners that the new design is not beneficial or properly planned, and that is has affected their restuarant business, haircuts, laundry mat, insurance,etc... The Hess Mart across the street has told me they no longer get boaters returning from an outing and refilling because they cannot make a U-turn with their boats attached. I have to wonder why the PanAm Plaza, which is the largest shopping center on Mayport Rd, does not have a option to turn left out of the plaza, yet the Best Western has it's own turn lane (does make one wonder who had their palms greased). I also live in Fairway Villas which happens to be the nearest u-turn available for customers of Pan Am Plaza & Admiral's Walk residents, where I have witnessed that the road is not wide enough for drivers to make u-turns without driving onto the sidewalk or swinging wide. I've also witnessed drivers trying take left turns out of Pan Am Plaza at it's central outlet, which is designed as a left turn in only, and it is a serious accident waiting to occur. The city should either redesign and place a light there because it also services the Navy Exchange/Commisary (but that brings up another whole can of worms of why there is no light there in the first place), or they should do like they have at the Dunkin Donuts plaza and remove a section of the concrete barrier to allow cars to make left turns.
fierr red

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#25 Jun 4, 2008
Fierr red
for someone that thinks they know it all, whereas you feel that the public is to stupid to know whats going on, you might want to look at the facts before you shoot your mouth off about something you know nothing about, for example have you done an assessment of the impact on the environment that these cruise ships will have? have you spoke with the american lung association about the diesel death zone from the effects of the emmissions of cruise ships? have you personally talk with portwatch.net terri shore,I can document each and every fact why do you think jacksonville failed the epa standards it wasnt because of clean air.consider the facts before you shoot off and give others a chance to speak, If you are a cop as some imply you may want to talk with your psych or seek medical help for you are supposed to be professional, I can image what your personel file looks like, most of the cops i know are pretty straight forward down to earth hard working guys and girls, they reach out to the public.

“Never let Tony be an EDITOR!”

Since: Apr 08

London, England

#26 Jun 4, 2008
Mayport road flute wrote:
Looking at this new contruction on mayport road, it would have not been a bad idea, except for the fact the engineer drawings were made long before the new business's like la pizzaria, Dunkin donuts,mambo's begin operating, but wait Mayor John merserve rather put them out of business constructing conrete barrier's to block there entrance's. Someone screwed up and if you look at the design even the truck drivers can't even make proper turns into business. John merserve has a plan alright and it doesnt include small business this new Mayport road will cut off all the small business owners like mayport hardware,hinder admirals walk from residence turning into their homes.This an attempt by mayor John Meserve to close all the business's along mayport road. ask any business owner like dunkin donuts, la pizzaria or mambos all of these are new business trying to survive.atlantic bch mayor john merserve only concern at this point is cruise ships and the U.S.Navy but wait not the enlisted men who live in mayport.Dicks wings will be shut off to one way traffic as well.Whats the best way to close a business build a barrier that prevents the public from reaching business and you starve the business forcing it to close its doors. The business owners are not stupid. impeach john merserve Im surprised fleet landing puts up with him and his abuse of authority. If he likes the imported shrimps so much maybe he support anti- american business's to operate along mayport road.
This was John Peyton's idea, not John Meserve.
Papa

United States

#27 Jun 4, 2008
Let's get this straight people. Mayport is a state road and is governed by state standards. A u-turn at a signalized intersection is inherently safer than turning across three lanes of traffic with no control. It is called progress, get used to it you f<<<ing cry babies.

Jax

#28 Jun 4, 2008
Brass Owner wrote:
As the owner of Brass Anchor I have to say that my business has not suffered from the changes, but I do hear alot of complaints from customers & fellow business owners that the new design is not beneficial or properly planned, and that is has affected their restuarant business, haircuts, laundry mat, insurance,etc... The Hess Mart across the street has told me they no longer get boaters returning from an outing and refilling because they cannot make a U-turn with their boats attached. I have to wonder why the PanAm Plaza, which is the largest shopping center on Mayport Rd, does not have a option to turn left out of the plaza, yet the Best Western has it's own turn lane (does make one wonder who had their palms greased). I also live in Fairway Villas which happens to be the nearest u-turn available for customers of Pan Am Plaza & Admiral's Walk residents, where I have witnessed that the road is not wide enough for drivers to make u-turns without driving onto the sidewalk or swinging wide. I've also witnessed drivers trying take left turns out of Pan Am Plaza at it's central outlet, which is designed as a left turn in only, and it is a serious accident waiting to occur. The city should either redesign and place a light there because it also services the Navy Exchange/Commisary (but that brings up another whole can of worms of why there is no light there in the first place), or they should do like they have at the Dunkin Donuts plaza and remove a section of the concrete barrier to allow cars to make left turns.
I have to agree with you, I think they should put a light there as well.

Jax

#29 Jun 4, 2008
fierr red wrote:
Fierr red
for someone that thinks they know it all, whereas you feel that the public is to stupid to know whats going on, you might want to look at the facts before you shoot your mouth off about something you know nothing about, for example have you done an assessment of the impact on the environment that these cruise ships will have? have you spoke with the american lung association about the diesel death zone from the effects of the emmissions of cruise ships? have you personally talk with portwatch.net terri shore,I can document each and every fact why do you think jacksonville failed the epa standards it wasnt because of clean air.consider the facts before you shoot off and give others a chance to speak, If you are a cop as some imply you may want to talk with your psych or seek medical help for you are supposed to be professional, I can image what your personel file looks like, most of the cops i know are pretty straight forward down to earth hard working guys and girls, they reach out to the public.
Man you just sound like a complete idiot, I have nothing to say to your unintelligible babbling.Sorry, but it's time to ignore you.
community assessment

United States

#30 Jun 5, 2008
First of all you define the community needs in an open forum not a vision of just one person, second
Develop a Community Profile area, such as neighborhood boundaries, locations
of residences and businesses, demographic
information, economic data, social history
of communities, community values and
land use plans. which mayport has failed to look into then Analyze Impacts Identify and investigate the consequences of the proposed transportation action. no one knows better than your local business owners to offer solutions to address perceived impacts. Techniques include avoidance, minimization,mitigation, and enhancement. business i know are affected are the brass anchor,dunin donuts,mambos, and la pizzaria!
Mayor Meserve of course places the blame on fdot when in fact the design was his plan although it may be arguementive the public and the business need a voice. wheres the the findings of the
community impact assessment have you given thought to that and the community the public is not some wayward child that the government wants to control you do nothing for business owners except give lip service would a class action lawsuit wake the city of jacksonville up the power was given to the people not the government.
stop the madness and let the business owners operate oterwise you destroy what little business we have. wheres the compensation for this impact wheres the lawyers that will stand up for these blighted business which they will have.I still see the hookers up and down mayport road and the post office has trouble with mail routes perhaps the federal government will force meserve and peyton to open up mayport so i can get the mail.
Diva in PVB

Jacksonville, FL

#31 Jun 5, 2008
That area is blighted and nasty! Captain Odies...just what does places loke that contribute to the community??? Thank goodness they are finally cleaning up that area, maybe all the trash & hookers will finally be gone! Good Job!!
Papa

United States

#32 Jun 5, 2008
community assessment wrote:
First of all you define the community needs in an open forum not a vision of just one person, second
Develop a Community Profile area, such as neighborhood boundaries, locations
of residences and businesses, demographic
information, economic data, social history
of communities, community values and
land use plans. which mayport has failed to look into then Analyze Impacts Identify and investigate the consequences of the proposed transportation action. no one knows better than your local business owners to offer solutions to address perceived impacts. Techniques include avoidance, minimization,mitigation, and enhancement. business i know are affected are the brass anchor,dunin donuts,mambos, and la pizzaria!
Mayor Meserve of course places the blame on fdot when in fact the design was his plan although it may be arguementive the public and the business need a voice. wheres the the findings of the
community impact assessment have you given thought to that and the community the public is not some wayward child that the government wants to control you do nothing for business owners except give lip service would a class action lawsuit wake the city of jacksonville up the power was given to the people not the government.
stop the madness and let the business owners operate oterwise you destroy what little business we have. wheres the compensation for this impact wheres the lawyers that will stand up for these blighted business which they will have.I still see the hookers up and down mayport road and the post office has trouble with mail routes perhaps the federal government will force meserve and peyton to open up mayport so i can get the mail.
A little tip. Punctuation and sentence spacing would make your post alot easier to comprehend. As far as the people having the power, that is true but from the looks of these posts, the people in question are not smart enough to use it.
ZGA

Jacksonville, FL

#33 Jun 5, 2008
I'm so glad that city of Atlantic Beach improving Mayport Road, for the safety of our Families.
Thanks Mayor.

Jax

#34 Jun 5, 2008
Papa wrote:
Let's get this straight people. Mayport is a state road and is governed by state standards. A u-turn at a signalized intersection is inherently safer than turning across three lanes of traffic with no control. It is called progress, get used to it you f<<<ing cry babies.
I like you, Papa......
MillerMan

Jacksonville, FL

#35 Jun 5, 2008
FieryRed wrote:
<quoted text>I like you, Papa......
Then why is the STATE giving design control of the same A1A in Jax Beach to Jax Beach?
fdot dubbed wipping post

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#36 Jun 6, 2008
Mayor meserve along with mayor peyton blames fdot for the construction of medians, however fdot states it was the mayor of atlantic beach whose engineers design concept submitted in 2002.This project was once before put forward back in the 70's but failed dot inspection and was removedue to the increase number of accidents.
2muchtv

Jacksonville, FL

#37 Jun 23, 2008
Are they planting palms? I'm just waiting for the first set of palm trees. Have you noticed that everytime they build a median in this region, the first set of palm trees (cheap and supported by 2x4s) wither away and have to be replaced by more expensive (healthy) palms?
Sturdivant Slim

Jacksonville, FL

#38 Jun 23, 2008
ZGA wrote:
I'm so glad that city of Atlantic Beach improving Mayport Road, for the safety of our Families.
Thanks Mayor.
Mayport aint gonna be no safer chump, you can bet that.

Just another summer day round my way...
Sargent Fitness

Saint Augustine, FL

#39 Jun 25, 2008
We must stand together as brothers and sisters or perish together as fools- MLK

OBAMA's campaign slogan says, that we can support CHANGE we believe in! but I say support CHANGE you can be apart of! This is a crucial time in the world as well as here in AB, we must be prepared as a citizen force to stand up for what is equal and collectively the right thing to do! It is all of our responsibility to support this communty and ensure that our elected and appointed officials do what it is that they were charged to do..serve,support, manage...WE THE PEOPLE OF AB!...I applaud the city and the chief of police for stepping up and realizing that for many many years there has been unequal and unfair representation for many citizens and demographics within the AB community! We must collectively agree to disagree and move forward with the bizness of ensuring, equality, opportunity, and justice for all! This is a new day and time and as you see we are dedicated to breakin the cycle of unfairness and preparing this city for the culturally and social diversity that the future is ushering into our nation, our state, our city and hoods!-Sarge

If we don't than I forsee Mayport Road and it's small businesses as a beautifully manicured ghost town..the bisnesses are suffering , they need relief!
marshal law declared

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#40 Jun 28, 2008
Once again the Mayor has shown his diatain for Mayport business along mayort road.In an attempt to stop the numerious complaints against him The mayor has declared marshal law upon all of mayport road business's and resident's as well. To date the mayor says he has directed code enforcement to fine and punish business's and property owners in mayport,150 violations thus far says dale and we have many more to write.
Although other areas such as selva marina may be target as well should residents complain about traffic at the back gate of fleet landing. The mayor says he has no other choice but to use a dictatorship so as the public maycomply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlantic Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chitlin Ice Cream Thu Crazy world 1
News Florida - Girls Gone Wild Founder Sentenced For... (Apr '07) Thu BlownPiston 4
black men white women (Aug '11) Nov 14 asians love whites 50
Sliders bar/restaurant - DON'T GO Nov 14 Kenny 2
pig bbq sauce recipe (Apr '11) Nov 10 Soack 25
I got caught wearing panties (Aug '10) Nov 9 PantySandy 70
unsolved murder! (Mar '13) Mar '17 Ashley Mariah 12

Atlantic Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlantic Beach Mortgages