Mayport Road Taking On New Look with Construction

Talk Back: Post a comment on this article By Roger Weeder First Coast News ATLANTIC BEACH, FL - A blighted stretch of Mayport Road is getting a new look that city leaders hope will change attitudes and ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mayport road flute

Madison, NC

#1 May 20, 2008
Looking at this new contruction on mayport road, it would have not been a bad idea, except for the fact the engineer drawings were made long before the new business's like la pizzaria, Dunkin donuts,mambo's begin operating, but wait Mayor John merserve rather put them out of business constructing conrete barrier's to block there entrance's. Someone screwed up and if you look at the design even the truck drivers can't even make proper turns into business. John merserve has a plan alright and it doesnt include small business this new Mayport road will cut off all the small business owners like mayport hardware,hinder admirals walk from residence turning into their homes.This an attempt by mayor John Meserve to close all the business's along mayport road. ask any business owner like dunkin donuts, la pizzaria or mambos all of these are new business trying to survive.atlantic bch mayor john merserve only concern at this point is cruise ships and the U.S.Navy but wait not the enlisted men who live in mayport.Dicks wings will be shut off to one way traffic as well.Whats the best way to close a business build a barrier that prevents the public from reaching business and you starve the business forcing it to close its doors. The business owners are not stupid. impeach john merserve Im surprised fleet landing puts up with him and his abuse of authority. If he likes the imported shrimps so much maybe he support anti- american business's to operate along mayport road.
Mayport road Contruction

Madison, NC

#2 May 20, 2008
Someone screwed up this time,look at the engineer drawings, no where o you see any openings for individuals to turn into a business along mayport road, Try to turn into la pizzaria or dunkin donuts,mambos or the other number of business or for that matter can you turn into admirals walk? Not if you driving towards the base! well lets see if im leaving the base and i need to get to my storage unit at pan am or stop at the waffle house I cant even make the turn there without driving another mile down the road to turn around. Smart thinking mayor john meserve you deserve a boot in the rear for such bad planing but wait you wanted to close all the business along mayport road for the sole purpose of what cruise ship traffic the hell with small business.
you allow the media to dance to your tune of cleaning up mayport road when in fact your intentions was to kill the local traffic to area business making it hard for them to survive.

“Red Is The Color Of Blood!”

Since: Mar 08

Jax

#3 May 20, 2008
Mayport road flute wrote:
Looking at this new contruction on mayport road, it would have not been a bad idea, except for the fact the engineer drawings were made long before the new business's like la pizzaria, Dunkin donuts,mambo's begin operating, but wait Mayor John merserve rather put them out of business constructing conrete barrier's to block there entrance's. Someone screwed up and if you look at the design even the truck drivers can't even make proper turns into business. John merserve has a plan alright and it doesnt include small business this new Mayport road will cut off all the small business owners like mayport hardware,hinder admirals walk from residence turning into their homes.This an attempt by mayor John Meserve to close all the business's along mayport road. ask any business owner like dunkin donuts, la pizzaria or mambos all of these are new business trying to survive.atlantic bch mayor john merserve only concern at this point is cruise ships and the U.S.Navy but wait not the enlisted men who live in mayport.Dicks wings will be shut off to one way traffic as well.Whats the best way to close a business build a barrier that prevents the public from reaching business and you starve the business forcing it to close its doors. The business owners are not stupid. impeach john merserve Im surprised fleet landing puts up with him and his abuse of authority. If he likes the imported shrimps so much maybe he support anti- american business's to operate along mayport road.
Did you ever stop to think(with your conspiracy theory attitude) that perhaps safety was the number 1 reason for the way the new medians are? Nah, I'm sure you didn't. Everywhere in this city there are medians that block some businesses, however, you just go to the light and do a uturn. The one by Dicks wings is wicked dangerous and most people need to turn west on Assisi(If headed north on Mayport)and go in the back way anyhow! You sound like you just have an issue with Mr. Meserve.
Mayport road Construction

Madison, NC

#4 May 20, 2008
Well looks like our business is going under thanks to the construction blocking our business.

Jax

#5 May 20, 2008
Come back and post this in a year.......I bet they will all still be there.I know I will be doing a uturn just to get some coffe efrom Dunkin Donuts on my way to work.So will all the people I work with.
The Blighted and Pissed

United States

#6 May 21, 2008
You can't be serious, SAFETY??? Explain to me how U-turns are safe? Have you had to do one yet? Do you live on this road, and let's see if you hang a u-turn to get that cup of coffee at Dunkin' Donuts then you have to go all the way down to Dutton Island to do ANOTHER u-turn to go back the way you were originally headed. I am all for making improvements to Mayport Rd. But since I work on this road and travel it EVERYDAY, I do not see this as a benefit and I doubt the planners have to navigate this mess at all. This is not safe, there has been at least an accident a day. This benefits NO ONE associated with the road and is going to decrease business. I AM ONE OF THOSE SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE, OUR BUSINESS IS ALREADY SUFFERING AND YES I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS AS DO ALL, NOT JUST SOME, BUT ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS. We have already suffered from losing the Kennedy. We are not franchises with bottomless pockets, we are Mom and Pop stores, and restaurants and bars. So Please do not act like you have this all figured out because on your way to base you stop and get coffee, you do not live here, you have NO IDEA. And even tho I voted for him, Yeah I too have a huge problem with our Mayor now!!

Jax

#7 May 21, 2008
The Blighted and Pissed wrote:
You can't be serious, SAFETY??? Explain to me how U-turns are safe? Have you had to do one yet? Do you live on this road, and let's see if you hang a u-turn to get that cup of coffee at Dunkin' Donuts then you have to go all the way down to Dutton Island to do ANOTHER u-turn to go back the way you were originally headed. I am all for making improvements to Mayport Rd. But since I work on this road and travel it EVERYDAY, I do not see this as a benefit and I doubt the planners have to navigate this mess at all. This is not safe, there has been at least an accident a day. This benefits NO ONE associated with the road and is going to decrease business. I AM ONE OF THOSE SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE, OUR BUSINESS IS ALREADY SUFFERING AND YES I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS AS DO ALL, NOT JUST SOME, BUT ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS. We have already suffered from losing the Kennedy. We are not franchises with bottomless pockets, we are Mom and Pop stores, and restaurants and bars. So Please do not act like you have this all figured out because on your way to base you stop and get coffee, you do not live here, you have NO IDEA. And even tho I voted for him, Yeah I too have a huge problem with our Mayor now!!
Keep on changing your names....it makes you more credible dumb@ss.
Some Guy

Somerville, NJ

#8 May 21, 2008
They didn't really want to improve this road - they just needed a place to store all of the orange traffic barrels in the state for a while.
fierr red

Atlantic Beach, FL

#9 May 21, 2008
First of all I do not need to hide my comments as you do your name, it appears your 236 posts earned you a reputation as mayor john merserves boot shine boy you dont live in mayport and you fail to understand the problems along mayport road. and my name is diverdan i live aboard a sailboat in mayport. The purpose of these roads are for the cruise ships once the small mom and pop store go out of business then you see avis car rental companies and national car rental along mayport road just like at the airport, watch and see.I like to see the small business bring a class action lawsuit against the mayor john meserve for creating this problem in the first place open up the entrances to these business or pay for the damages you caused.

Since: Jan 08

Detroit, MI

#10 May 21, 2008
The medians are going to be nice for the hookers who can solicit both sides of Mayport Road now.
RiverJames

Fairport, NY

#11 May 21, 2008
fierr red wrote:
First of all I do not need to hide my comments as you do your name, it appears your 236 posts earned you a reputation as mayor john merserves boot shine boy you dont live in mayport and you fail to understand the problems along mayport road. and my name is diverdan i live aboard a sailboat in mayport. The purpose of these roads are for the cruise ships once the small mom and pop store go out of business then you see avis car rental companies and national car rental along mayport road just like at the airport, watch and see.I like to see the small business bring a class action lawsuit against the mayor john meserve for creating this problem in the first place open up the entrances to these business or pay for the damages you caused.
If you read the paper or kept up with the news, you would see that they are going to add medians planted with trees and shrubs to improve the look of the area, and work hard to get rid of the hookers and drug dealers in the area. I think the business owners would love to see improvements to that part of town.

Jax

#12 May 21, 2008
fierr red wrote:
The funny thing is I know you. You are just as stupid in person as you are on this.Make some sense Dan....then we can talk.

Jax

#13 May 21, 2008
fierr red wrote:
And by the way "DiverDan" I know almost every thing there is to know about Mayport, it's my job dumbass.So quit acting like you are the only one who "knows all about" what mayport needs.
What the

United States

#14 May 21, 2008
SeaBass wrote:
The medians are going to be nice for the hookers who can solicit both sides of Mayport Road now.
Say hi to Candy and Crybaby Karen for me
Still blighted and pissed

Atlantic Beach, FL

#15 May 22, 2008
First of all I am not Dan nor do I feel the need to hide my identity. I work at the Brass Anchor Pub and have for 5 years and have worked in this strip mall for the better part of 11 years. Obviously you "Fiery Red" do feel the need. You know almost every thing about Mayport Rd, it's your job? And that would make you a cop? One of the Planning Committee? A hooker? None of which will be adversely affected by the changes, but will actually benefit. You are too busy being defense and rude to get the point, the Mayport people are not complaining about the medians or the stupid palm trees, we are complaining about the lack of access to local businesses, and the fact that the cruise ships seem to be the focal point as opposed to the people who already live here. Oh that's right we don't matter, because we are a blight. You want to do something about making Mayport Rd. nicer, then do something about the Palms, that is your blight, and what a lovely aerial view we get from the fly over. Do something about the hoards of homeless that are now congregating in packs behind the strip malls. Do something about the hookers, the crackheads and the dealers out all night. Do you really think a few palm trees are going to make all that go away. No you are just taking the problems and decorating them with palm trees.
Sturdivant Slim

Jacksonville, FL

#16 May 22, 2008
ATLANTIC BEACH!!
jalapeno

Northbrook, IL

#17 May 22, 2008
SeaBass wrote:
LOL yeah i'm sure that tranny that walks down mayport rd at 7 in the morning will really like it
Xpltivdletd

United States

#18 May 23, 2008
Been a few years since I last drove on "The Mayport-500" but the road I remember was choked with angry, adolescent tailpipe-sucking bullies for a couple of hours twice a day. Then, outside of that, it was Officer Melvin Peacock's cherry-patch...

"...a distance of one mile, Your Honor, at a speed of 70 MPH. Then when I pulled him over, he jumped out of his car yelling and screaming and calling me filthy names..."

All in all, from the Gate to Uncle John's, it was a road to inspire one--to praying he'd make it OFF that sucker in 1 piece and still in his own car. It was a road that gave one a warm, satisfied feeling every day one reached either end of it without ACTUALLY trading paint, and with no flashing lights in one's mirror.

Now, it's possible I'm remembering a different Mayport Road, but it sounds more as if this is the same one--just grown in the direction it was growing last time I saw it. RKBA! Best regards.

“It's not about me.”

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville

#19 May 23, 2008
Just hope it doesn't turn out like Merrill Rd., Trednick Pkwy, and Regency Sq. Blvd.'s traffic all did after Peyton got through with those SouthSide intersections. You can't get anywhere on Merrill without makng a u-turn.

Jax

#20 May 23, 2008
Still blighted and pissed wrote:
First of all I am not Dan nor do I feel the need to hide my identity. I work at the Brass Anchor Pub and have for 5 years and have worked in this strip mall for the better part of 11 years. Obviously you "Fiery Red" do feel the need. You know almost every thing about Mayport Rd, it's your job? And that would make you a cop? One of the Planning Committee? A hooker? None of which will be adversely affected by the changes, but will actually benefit. You are too busy being defense and rude to get the point, the Mayport people are not complaining about the medians or the stupid palm trees, we are complaining about the lack of access to local businesses, and the fact that the cruise ships seem to be the focal point as opposed to the people who already live here. Oh that's right we don't matter, because we are a blight. You want to do something about making Mayport Rd. nicer, then do something about the Palms, that is your blight, and what a lovely aerial view we get from the fly over. Do something about the hoards of homeless that are now congregating in packs behind the strip malls. Do something about the hookers, the crackheads and the dealers out all night. Do you really think a few palm trees are going to make all that go away. No you are just taking the problems and decorating them with palm trees.
Lol, I feel the need to hide my identity? Nah, I'm not hiding it, I just don't feel anyone on here needs to know who I am especially since heated discussions occur on here. That's just using common sense, something you obviously lack. I was talking to an employee at the Dunkin Donuts the other day and they commented that even with all the construction, their business is not being adversely affected at all. You say you work at the Brass Anchor? Well, it's obvious that your business has suffered because of the lack of military personnel stationed here right now, but thats ok...just keep blaming it on the road planning, it makes you look smarter.Oh I'm sorry was I being defensive and rude?
You also say they are making the cruise ships the focal point? Well, damn right they are! It's amazing to me how some of the locals there are against these cruise ships out in Mayport when they will generate some serious income for all of the Mayport businesses!I guess you are just to pessimistic to see that eh bartender?
By the way, not all of the "Mayport people" feel that way so don't act like you speak for all of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlantic Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bantu savages jigaabboo at cops murder 3 hr King of wisdom 17
The interview 4 hr John 3
Fool Austrailians let-in the Muzzi-wogs ... 4 hr King of wisdom 11
Georgia - Inmates Complain of Treatment at Clay... (Jan '08) 22 hr Hamitup8 81
Peaceful protest, does it mean damage to business? Thu King of wisdom 5
King of wisdom Thu King of wisdom 1
Country club, Key West-style homes coming to At... Thu fido 1
Atlantic Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web