Sights and sounds at Jacksonville's B...

Sights and sounds at Jacksonville's Beaches

There are 27 comments on the The Florida Times-Union story from May 12, 2010, titled Sights and sounds at Jacksonville's Beaches. In it, The Florida Times-Union reports that:

The watercolors will be up until May 28. The center is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Florida Times-Union.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Beach Lady

Bradenton, FL

#1 May 12, 2010
AH yes....the sights and sounds of Jacksonville Beach.

Riots, roving gangs, rapes, wineo's, the homeless peeing in sand, dirty beaches, nasty restrooms, gun fire, brawls, openly consumed drugs and alcohol, dog chit, and cops taking a leisurely occasional drive down the beach waving to people like a politican running for office....and the soon to be Jax beach motto.....gimme $5.00.....
Scooter

Jacksonville, FL

#2 May 12, 2010
I'm so glad we don't live anywhere near any beaches. We are not beach people. Not into "salt life" LOL

Why don't they just annex Jax beach onto the north and west sides and get it over with?
cibolo

Birmingham, AL

#3 May 12, 2010
I lived in Jax. 06-07 and very quickly grew to despise the place,for a major city it is hopeless and one of the worst shitholes i had ever lived(Had lived in San Antonio Tx. for 20 years which was vastly superior to Jax in everything),if i wanted to go to the beach i simply went to Fernandina Beach at Peters Point,very happy to be out of Fl.!!!
Observation

Bradenton, FL

#4 May 12, 2010
cibolo wrote:
I lived in Jax. 06-07 and very quickly grew to despise the place,for a major city it is hopeless and one of the worst shitholes i had ever lived(Had lived in San Antonio Tx. for 20 years which was vastly superior to Jax in everything),if i wanted to go to the beach i simply went to Fernandina Beach at Peters Point,very happy to be out of Fl.!!!
06-07.......and that was before the problems started at the beach.

It's South Central L.A. now.
scott1

AOL

#5 May 12, 2010
and this is why i go to the jetties....its still very nice and family oriented and safe out there. you can still take the kids and not feel like you have to watch them with your gun out and ready to shoot anyone who gets near them or you.
cibolo

Birmingham, AL

#6 May 12, 2010
Observation wrote:
<quoted text>
06-07.......and that was before the problems started at the beach.
It's South Central L.A. now.
Were it not for the Interstates that go through Jax. to Disney,Universal & the huge Southern Fl. vacation spots Jax. would look alot like Hilliard:)
Julianna

United States

#7 May 12, 2010
Observation wrote:
<quoted text>
06-07.......and that was before the problems started at the beach.
It's South Central L.A. now.
Although the beaches crime may have increased recently, it is a misconception that it just started. Jax Beach, in particular, has had problems for quite some time.

“I see dumb people.”

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville, FL

#8 May 12, 2010
Julianna wrote:
<quoted text>
Although the beaches crime may have increased recently, it is a misconception that it just started. Jax Beach, in particular, has had problems for quite some time.
Agreed! We saw problems with Jax Bch when mine were still pretty young (and that's been 10+ yrs), which is when we started making the drive to St. Augustine Bch. It's worth the trip.
Julianna

United States

#9 May 12, 2010
dawgs1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! We saw problems with Jax Bch when mine were still pretty young (and that's been 10+ yrs), which is when we started making the drive to St. Augustine Bch. It's worth the trip.
Exactly. Either direction is still pretty nice - north or south of Jax Beach. I think a lot of grifters are drawn to the relaxed atmosphere, retirees or anywhere that they think they can make a quick buck (and often do). I'm sure there are a number of reasons, but that seems to be the case for certain.
cibolo

Birmingham, AL

#10 May 12, 2010
Julianna wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Either direction is still pretty nice - north or south of Jax Beach. I think a lot of grifters are drawn to the relaxed atmosphere, retirees or anywhere that they think they can make a quick buck (and often do). I'm sure there are a number of reasons, but that seems to be the case for certain.
My 2 years in Jax. i could never shake the image that Fl. was nothing but a huge Yankee retirement home,happy to be out of there for good and in a nice community ,Hoover Al.
Ralph

Saint Augustine, FL

#11 May 12, 2010
I would like to see what the crime statistics are from say 9th ave north to 9th ave south and east of 3rd street. That seems to be where 90% of the beaches crime occurs. Rarely do you hear of crime in PVB, NB, AB (the nice part), or even south Jax Beach.

The worst part of it all is rarely are the criminals members of the beaches community, most are homeless or from west of the ICW.
Beach Lady

Bradenton, FL

#12 May 12, 2010
Julianna wrote:
<quoted text>
Although the beaches crime may have increased recently, it is a misconception that it just started. Jax Beach, in particular, has had problems for quite some time.
It hasn't just started, it has in the past 2 1/2 years gotten out of control due to the Beaches government and police allowing it to get out of control.

The lack of upkeep and cleanliness is due to the beaches government only doing what is absolutly necessary and attempting to rely on weekend volenteers to clean up the beach.
Jacksonville Beach does not want to respond to the increased number of people going to the beach. The city wants to make money off of the beach without spending money on beach improvements.

It is the worst maintained beach area in Florida.
Jax resident

Bradenton, FL

#13 May 12, 2010
cibolo wrote:
<quoted text>Were it not for the Interstates that go through Jax. to Disney,Universal & the huge Southern Fl. vacation spots Jax. would look alot like Hilliard:)
Well, that isn't true. Jacksonville didn't look like Hilliard before Disney and Universal.
Jacksonville sucks for different reasons.
Interstate traffic has not enhanced the city or been the cause of growth.
cibolo

Birmingham, AL

#14 May 12, 2010
Jax resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that isn't true. Jacksonville didn't look like Hilliard before Disney and Universal.
Jacksonville sucks for different reasons.
Interstate traffic has not enhanced the city or been the cause of growth.
Give it some time,at the rate Jax is going it will simply look like a larger version of it

“the doctor is in the house”

Since: May 08

jacksonville florida

#15 May 12, 2010
Ralph wrote:
I would like to see what the crime statistics are from say 9th ave north to 9th ave south and east of 3rd street. That seems to be where 90% of the beaches crime occurs. Rarely do you hear of crime in PVB, NB, AB (the nice part), or even south Jax Beach.
The worst part of it all is rarely are the criminals members of the beaches community, most are homeless or from west of the ICW.
hey ralph watch that icw stuff!
Julianna

United States

#16 May 12, 2010
Beach Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
It hasn't just started, it has in the past 2 1/2 years gotten out of control due to the Beaches government and police allowing it to get out of control.
The lack of upkeep and cleanliness is due to the beaches government only doing what is absolutly necessary and attempting to rely on weekend volenteers to clean up the beach.
Jacksonville Beach does not want to respond to the increased number of people going to the beach. The city wants to make money off of the beach without spending money on beach improvements.
It is the worst maintained beach area in Florida.
I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what you've stated.
What do you propose as a solution?
Julianna

United States

#17 May 12, 2010
cibolo wrote:
<quoted text>My 2 years in Jax. i could never shake the image that Fl. was nothing but a huge Yankee retirement home,happy to be out of there for good and in a nice community ,Hoover Al.
I'm sorry you had that experience, but I can't say I'm really surprised. There are still some good folks here, but I do envy and understand your relocating to a quiet and slow pace.

Since: Jan 08

Carlsbad, CA

#18 May 12, 2010
OK, I grew up at the beach and lived there for 34 years until last year.

What most people don't know or don't remember was that it used to be MUCH worse. I can remember my Mom not allowing me to go down there and ride the rides on the boardwalk because there were needles all over the place. Anyone remember the Crab Pot and the Wet Banana? How about Peelers and all the cruising on weekends? I was 10 years old when I saw my first biker fight and subsequent stabbing in the Flag Pavilion parking lot.

It seems to me that it cleaned up for a while and got nice and then a few years ago it started to go downhill again (mainly at the pier). It's definitely the town-ghetto element as most locals know to head North or South of Jax Beach.
cibolo

Birmingham, AL

#19 May 12, 2010
Julianna wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you had that experience, but I can't say I'm really surprised. There are still some good folks here, but I do envy and understand your relocating to a quiet and slow pace.
Hoover is far from being quiet & slow,your thinking to much of the stereotypical, backward, Alabama Hick town,Hoover is an upscale,upper middle-class community of well educated people from diverse backgrounds,in other words the last thing u would expect in Alabama :)
Julianna

Los Angeles, CA

#20 May 12, 2010
cibolo wrote:
<quoted text>Hoover is far from being quiet & slow,your thinking to much of the stereotypical, backward, Alabama Hick town,Hoover is an upscale,upper middle-class community of well educated people from diverse backgrounds,in other words the last thing u would expect in Alabama :)
I didn't mean it in an offensive way but I get your point. You're right that I view Alabama as being a state with many quaint towns, which is a very good thing in my view. I know nothing about Hoover specifically, but I'm glad you've found a great place to call home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlantic Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 men questioned over MLK Day shooting of 8, th... 2 hr 25or6to4 1
News 100th Homicide Investigated by JSO (Sep '06) 5 hr Nellie 4
News Man Smoking Near Gas Pump Bursts Into Flames (Mar '07) 21 hr Nellie 27
News Crime 58 mins ago 7:00 p.m.2 shot at Jacksonvil... Tue Nellie 1
review: amazing spine care center (Apr '15) Mon Suma 2
What was your most embarrassing moment? (Feb '08) Mon Michelle 65
Tiny Home variance in City of Jacksonville (COJ... Mon Cyberpine 1

Atlantic Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlantic Beach Mortgages