Do you think Garland Lodge and Resort...

Do you think Garland Lodge and Resort is a rip off now?

Created by Yeah Right on Dec 3, 2009

481 votes

Click on an option to vote

No

No I love Garland!

Yes Garland will go down hill!

Yes why does anyone go there?

Terry

United States

#21 Nov 5, 2012
This place has gone through many changes and some for better, but I still feel the rates are inflated just to keep the riff Raff out (blue collar) worker...Too bad the owner got himself in trouble by loansharking?
employeeknows

Midland, MI

#22 Nov 9, 2012
you think this is such a wonderful, renovated building and business. Ask the employees, you know the ones that were actually lucky enough to keep their jobs. New management removed good employees and hired 25 mexicans that cannot speak english, and then demanded that the old employees learn to speak spanish or loose their jobs. the mexicans are kept away from the public so that none of the guests know, but they are there, ask an employee or should I say a former employee.
kevin

New York, NY

#23 Jan 18, 2013
Wow! What a shit hole! Enough said!
Behind the Scenes

Newaygo, MI

#24 Feb 17, 2013
Garland has not only done all these above said things, but has now hired a NEW husband and wife team with absolutely ZERO resort management experience to run the resort. They are both exceptionally poor in personality and in life! The husband, Mr. Fitch has been at garland in engineering and the wife, Mrs. Fitch hasn't worked a day in her life before last year where she was hired in the housekeeping department. The owner has fired EVERYONE, but these select few and has made them your new General Mangagers. These are people that are so uneducated and unworthy of this position, they don't even know how to spell properly. There has been countless embezzlement cases going on and investigations, there have been major anger management issues and very personal vendettas against anyone who they even remotely think have any intelligence about the property~ poof! You're gone. Just like that. They are two very evil people on a huge power surge and have told employees they will let nothing stand in their way if their titles. Along with this, they have gotten rid of the Fountains golf course to the public- now offering the public only 3 courses. They also want to drown out the membership- deeming them as "too needy". God forbid you have any kind of opinion here; you will be fired before you're even hired. They are intensely scrambling to pull the season together and I just feel so awful for the Members & public that have arrangements for the 2013 season. This is nothing personal~ I left of my own volition due to the chaos of what was happening there in all of my years; I've never seen anything like it and haven't a slightest clue of what Mr. Gerald Forsythe (owner) is thinking. So sad for such a beautiful property with many valued guests.
Jan

Salem, OR

#25 Feb 17, 2013
I have known Gordon Fitch since my husband and I purchased our first home on Garland property in the early 1990's. He has shown himself to be a very hardworking, honest, personable man of the highest integrity. Garland has undergone tremendous change during the past five years but I have never seen Gordon falter in his dedication to Garland, to get any and all jobs done on time and to the highest standard.
In the Fall of 2012, The Members were asked to vote on what Course they would like to have dedicated to their use as a Members Only Course. Apparently, the highest vote getter was the Fountains Course. I personally consider that an act of generosity and commitment on the part of the Owner, Mr. Forsythe. As The Fountains Course generated the highest revenue, it would logically conclude that dedication to the Membership would take the biggest cut from Total Revenue. This does not seem to be an attempt to "drown out the membership,' that would seem to me to be a Commitment to the Membership.
The attack of "uneducated and unworthy" seems to lack credibility, is certainly not within your realm to judge and flies in the face of your statement that "this is nothing personal."
You used to work there, you no longer work there; I don't see how it could be any more personal.
Behind the Scenes

Newaygo, MI

#26 Feb 17, 2013
Jan wrote:
I have known Gordon Fitch since my husband and I purchased our first home on Garland property in the early 1990's. He has shown himself to be a very hardworking, honest, personable man of the highest integrity. Garland has undergone tremendous change during the past five years but I have never seen Gordon falter in his dedication to Garland, to get any and all jobs done on time and to the highest standard.
In the Fall of 2012, The Members were asked to vote on what Course they would like to have dedicated to their use as a Members Only Course. Apparently, the highest vote getter was the Fountains Course. I personally consider that an act of generosity and commitment on the part of the Owner, Mr. Forsythe. As The Fountains Course generated the highest revenue, it would logically conclude that dedication to the Membership would take the biggest cut from Total Revenue. This does not seem to be an attempt to "drown out the membership,' that would seem to me to be a Commitment to the Membership.
The attack of "uneducated and unworthy" seems to lack credibility, is certainly not within your realm to judge and flies in the face of your statement that "this is nothing personal."
You used to work there, you no longer work there; I don't see how it could be any more personal.
First, let me address that I assure you, it isn't personal at all! I'm not sure if you're implying that Garland Resort is the only place to work, but I will re-iterate that it IS NOT, and I am very satisfied in my line of work that doesn't include any ill practices that were and are currently in place at Garland. Let me remind you, I RESIGNED, I was NOT fired, and after many years at that due to the circumstances and wrong doings that I PERSONALLY witnessed when this turnover happened. I, too, have known Gordon and on a much more personal level having worked with him and am very glad that your beliefs are what they are. There are many members that absolutely feel differently about him and instances that he has been in direct conflict with. The Fitches do not like the idea of the membership; and have been absolutely heard conveying that distaste. The removing of The Fountains, the most profitably placed margin course for 2011/2012 (proven with record) has been done so to limit the members while having the few that are *starry eyed* believe as above- that it's an investment to the members. With the courses being as full as they were when I left at the end of the summer, when you work the numbers and knowing about the membership poll (which only concluded around 100 members actual votes, btw), the other 3 courses are going to be extremely full all summer. Logistically speaking. Therefore, as a member and property owner, yes, you will be special and elite enough to have your one course soley dedicated to you, but good luck ever being able to golf the other 3. With as many that voted, there were equal complaints and concerns as to why Fountains was off the table to the general public. They have lost members and have lost repeat business- some of 15 or more years- this is fact. As far as my lacking in credibility in regards to The Fitches, I assure you when you have lived in this town your entire life and known them for a substantial amount of time, my credibility is nothing short of 100% certain. I am thrilled if you are that convicted in the new changes; the truth will be reflected if or when the season actually opens.
Mort

New York, NY

#27 Feb 18, 2013
Sure be glad when they get the bowling center built at Garland Resort.
Lewiston Homeowner

South Haven, MI

#28 Feb 22, 2013
I am suprised and appalled to hear they are thinking about opening a bowling alley. I have heard first hand that the new owners want to include the Lewiston community in their dealing and wish for our community to benefit from their resort. I have also seen them firsthand fire anyone with an opinion that live here and bring in people they wanted from all over the state with no regard for the economy of our small town. We have a bowling center that does very little business in the summer because of the golfers and hearing they are thinking of opening up their own just shows how much they DON'T CARE about our town or its economy. Our bowling center has 8 lanes and was renovated last summer for anyone who is interested in bowling on your rainy golf days. For garland to take that away from this town and impede the community is disgusting. They have been offered packages for their golfers with bowling and i know for a fact they would work with garland on anything to help each other out, but obviously want to displease the community and have no sense of what that word means and wishes to continue excluding our community and its wonderful former employees from anything they can.
Garpuke

Lewiston, MI

#29 Feb 22, 2013
Think of the non-intellect it must take to draw pleasure from golf: hitting a ball with a crooked stick, and then, walking after it, and hitting it again! Boring. It's just a bunch of pasty old white guys with one foot in the grave continuously polishing each others knobs and congratulating themselves on being masters of the universe. And the women there, wow, talk about a convention of bloated cougars hanging on the off chance of a glance from some groundskeeper. Garland's "clientele" is everything that is wrong with America.
Gumby

Mio, MI

#30 Feb 23, 2013
Mort wrote:
Sure be glad when they get the bowling center built at Garland Resort.
Mort don't for get gum they will have great gum, YUMMMMMMMMMMMM

I like gum, don't you Mort?

I like bowling it is fun.
Mr Integrity

New York, NY

#31 Feb 27, 2013
Jan wrote:
Jan....Or should I say Gordon...the highest integrity? Do you know what the word integrity means? How much integrity does it take to beat down your wife at Herman's Bar & Grill? Did Mr. Integrity tell you about that one? Ask his children when they had to rescue his mother from his father's drunk ass if that is the definition of integrity. People will see Gordon for what he is when he personally shuts down Garland. You better look a little closer at how you judge people. Just sayin......
20 year fool

Flushing, MI

#32 Mar 12, 2013
Mr Integrity wrote:
<quoted text>Jan....Or should I say Gordon...the highest integrity? Do you know what the word integrity means? How much integrity does it take to beat down your wife at Herman's Bar & Grill? Did Mr. Integrity tell you about that one? Ask his children when they had to rescue his mother from his father's drunk ass if that is the definition of integrity. People will see Gordon for what he is when he personally shuts down Garland. You better look a little closer at how you judge people. Just sayin......
Sadly, all integrity, honesty, and credibility left with Mr. Otto, not his spoiled delusional kid. I loved garland when it was only one course, I cried when the lodge burned down, not just for Garland, but for Mr. Otto, that feeling is why I bought there, the first thing I bought as soon as I was able, just could not wait to be a part of the Garland "family." Garland WAS indeed a special place, the beauty, the lodge, the wildlife, and the employees, I mean family and friends made it so. Yes, Garland has changed, and it is certainly not for the better. The current mis-management gang is exactly that... A bunch of heavy handed street gang mentality thugs, and that's not personal, that's fact. Period. Look at the extortion, loan sharking, investigations currently underway. I'm stuck with my home, but no matter, my home is beautiful, the land is beautiful, and when they kill off the golf, it will save me $1,600 a year for my ridiculous Monarch club lifetime membership, which most maybe 85% of members have quit already. I don't expect it to last the year, that is why I will not be paying this year. Initially, when they changed the bar's name from "Herman's" I was furious! But, as time goes on, I'm glad they did. Herman Otto's good name should not be associated with the thugs killing off his, and our dream. On the bright side, I heard Kwame Kilpatrick is available, probably the next general manager, he'd fit right in.
Sad state

Detroit, MI

#33 Apr 2, 2013
The way they pushed for members a few years ago, on empty promises or flat out lies, was borderline criminal. The dues were fairly reasonable however, and at least the damn resort was OPEN! I would love to know the other members felt the same as I. Whoever decided to raise dues while decreasing activities and worse service must have their head way up their rear. Why in the hell would I pay 1600 a year for NOTHING, and get less??? It became embarrassing to admit I was affiliated by being a "member". The lack of leadership is only second to a group of third graders. It was laughable when I received a letter to re-join, for FULL ARREARAGE!!! HA! Still funny!! Hello? You should be paying us to re-join! Begging us to bring our families and friends!
Bowling alley? OH right, like the riding stables, fifth course, and winter activities?? Or how about the 4 star spa!! Hahaha! They must be drinking from the untreated water if they think alienating their own members is a positive.
I don't know anything about the Fitches, but any in house hiring for positions such as these is wrong. I have personally had my golf rung up slowly and incorrectly by a woman at lunch, only to see her hanging on Mr Otto in the bar late at night. Literally. So sounds like more of the same. Priceless. Mr Fitch drunk and berating people! Please humor me with more stories!! Glad to see I made the correct decision in writing off Garland and spending my money at the countless other resorts that treat me better as a non-member!!
just me

New York, NY

#34 Apr 5, 2013
You are not the only member that is being treated this way. I know alot of them that are very upset and are not going to pay their dues. So sad. Used to be such a nice place. I hear they are hiring now. They are looking for 5 Front DEST people. Yeah, I wrote dest. That's how they listed the job. And when you go to their website, you find countless other typos. Lol some one isn't too bright!!!!!
Really Sad

Saginaw, MI

#35 Apr 7, 2013
What a sad organization. To think I got "sold" into this mess. I have written off this investment and it sounds like the majority of the membership has as well. Increased dues - I am still trying to figure that one out. The telling sign is when you see the Pro Shop mgt consistently change faces... I think it was every year for four years in a row. The "5th" course -- what happened there? I feel badly for the folks that invested in a lot w/ no course - not an easy sell now...
The change mgt. that has occurred almost every fall (GM, etc.)- unbeliebable. And then you read in the paper that the Frontier Mgt (President) is being investigated for financial shadiness. This does not surprise me in the least, now. Can't wait to hear about all of the other great stuff that is coming to the resort. Good luck with that.
Most of my families friends, golfing partners, have moved onto other courses, resorts.
And didn't we receive a "letter" asking us members to come back - for a full payment (arrears)! That was a complete joke. How about asking your current and former members their opinion of why they stayed or left?
I do feel sorry for the home owners - hang in there.
I am just a sucker that purchased a useless lot in the woods.
just me

New York, NY

#36 Apr 9, 2013
I'm just curious to see if they filled all 5 front dest positions. Lol why do they need 5 people to answer phones when NO ONE will be calling? And yes, it is sad for the people with homes there. Shady shady place. It will be funny when the shady people are in the unemployment line!!!
just me

New York, NY

#37 Apr 9, 2013
Oh, and by the way...if you want people to apply, maybe you should fix all the typos on your careers link. I found four on the one page alone. Let's see if you can find them and fix them. It's a challenge!!! It really makes you sound stupid when you can't even spell the jobs correct that you want people to apply for!!!
Wondering

Troy, MI

#38 May 15, 2013
Well, now that they are up and running, how are they doing? Has anyone heard if they are busy? Maybe it will be successful again?
just me

New York, NY

#39 May 16, 2013
Well, they still have NOT learned to spell. Check out their facebook. How embarrassed I would be to have that out there with all the mispellings!!! They are always "excepting" applications though. Apparently you don't need an education to work there. Doesn't facebook have a spelling corrector? Just shows the kind of people that are running it now. Too bad. It used to be an awesome place. It's a joke now. Not one person that I talk to has ANYTHING good to say about it. Take a spelling course, please.
northern michigan fan

Okemos, MI

#40 Jun 29, 2013
I've been to the resort this season. The employees are doing a fantastic job. The courses look great but it is definitely not as busy as it was last year. I left a voicemail for Mr. Fitch in May and he has still not returned my call. In the meantime, I have found very valuable employees to get information from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is he doing? Dec 5 Mhmm 2
Welcome to the jungle? Dec 3 Whatevs 3
Elk County animal shelter (May '10) Dec 2 Yep 72
Freddies Family Market (Aug '14) Nov '17 Lady with the Truth 6
Judge Mike Mack (Oct '09) Oct '17 Carol 13
Atlanta Mi Aug '17 No Joke 2
Freddies Market (Sep '16) Aug '17 Not Alumni 8

Atlanta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance