community center in briley township

Posted in the Atlanta Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
geraldo

United States

#1 Oct 23, 2009
a community center? in the old school building? i believe the building is in too poor of shape. they gym floor is warped and would need replace. they heating system needs replace. plus it would cost a fortune just to heat it. the roof leaks and needs replaced. i think there is way too much money that needs to go into that building. i also believe that with the high unemployment rate in atlanta, it is just irresponsible to ask tax payers for non-essential projects. please please please let me know your opinions briley township residents.
Comm Cntr Supporter

United States

#2 Oct 24, 2009
geraldo wrote:
a community center? in the old school building? i believe the building is in too poor of shape. they gym floor is warped and would need replace. they heating system needs replace. plus it would cost a fortune just to heat it. the roof leaks and needs replaced. i think there is way too much money that needs to go into that building. i also believe that with the high unemployment rate in atlanta, it is just irresponsible to ask tax payers for non-essential projects. please please please let me know your opinions briley township residents.
I believe there has been a feasability study done on the building. Exactly because of the unemployment in this county is partially why this would be a good thing. There are opportunity's to put some small business's in that building. This would help to employ some in the county as well as help all of the community to save $ by not having to leave the community to shop. Also by having a portion of it for the kids it can cut down on the vandalism that has been going on around this town by bored kids. There are many positive aspects to this project, and yes there are costs involved. In the long run it is not going to cost as much as many people out there think it will. Call your Briley Township Supervisor and he can explain what truly needs to be done and what is rumor. For the small amount that this would cost each individual taxpayer it's payback could be huge.
Community supporter

United States

#3 Oct 24, 2009
Comm Cntr Supporter wrote:
<quoted text> I believe there has been a feasability study done on the building. Exactly because of the unemployment in this county is partially why this would be a good thing. There are opportunity's to put some small business's in that building. This would help to employ some in the county as well as help all of the community to save $ by not having to leave the community to shop. Also by having a portion of it for the kids it can cut down on the vandalism that has been going on around this town by bored kids. There are many positive aspects to this project, and yes there are costs involved. In the long run it is not going to cost as much as many people out there think it will. Call your Briley Township Supervisor and he can explain what truly needs to be done and what is rumor. For the small amount that this would cost each individual taxpayer it's payback could be huge.
I'm sorry, but what type of businesses can you put into that building that you cannot put into the already empty buildings in town. The thinking here seems to be the same as in Washington. Let government do it. It is another example of government doing what private enterprise should be doing. Take the property off the tax roles (like the old Essix building) and raise taxes to everyone else to pay for it. If you want to promote businesses in the town and encourage new businesses, raising taxes and spending tax money to create jobs is not the way. Property tax relief would do more to promote job creation here.

If you look at why the building is vacant after it was purchased by a private individual you will see it is a result of activity by one of our governmentally sponsored organizations. The electric meter was removed from the building without the concent of the new owner. Now it has to be brought up to new code to get electricity at conciderable expense.

This reminds me of the old building that used to be accross the street from the Township office. Remember the old "Roach Motel"? That building was purchesed by a business owner with the intention of tearing it down and using the site to build an assisted living facility. The Township permitted the purchase and removal of the building at private expense. Then after the property was cleared the Township decided that the location would not be a good one for assisted living. It is now a vacant lot. The assited living is located in a remote area rather than in town which would have helped the local businesses.

I would like to know just exactly what the Township plans on doing with the building, the property and what type of businesses are going to use the building and at what continuing costs to the taxpayers. Is it going to be used to be in direct competition to the Eagles, VFW and Senior Center?

As for all of the destruction caused by the bored kids, NOT! Our kids are not bored. It is an excuse for the behavior of unsupervised kids causing problems. These same kinds of kids cause problems wherever they are. Even in communities with community centers. If you want to support the kids, then support the school.
Community supporter

United States

#4 Oct 24, 2009
To really help our community our Township could do some things to promote business and commerce. They could have supported the Downtown Developement Authoity instead of not funding it and voting to desolve it. The DDA could have gotten a sewer system in the downtown area which would have been a big help in developing our town.

The Township could support the incorporation of Atlanta as a village since we no longer have a DDA. The village could work toward getting a sewer system downtown.

These are the types of activities government should be involved in rather than in buying property for its own use.
get whitey

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2009
I'm still voting for it
geraldo

Bannister, MI

#6 Oct 29, 2009
all i was saying is this is the WRONG time to be asking tax payers for more money. yes this town needs a place for the kids, yes it needs more things to do. but, with the unemployment rate in this county, it is irresponsible to ask people to pay more taxes for something that is not a necessity. people can't afford their house payments, car payments, and a lot are having trouble even purchasing groceries. that little extra money in taxes starts adding up fast. wrong town, wrong time, wrong economy.
Comm Cntr Supporter

United States

#7 Oct 30, 2009
geraldo if you knew the actual dollars it would cost the average Briley Twsp Resident to have this center I don't think you would find it such an issue. An average taxable base of $100000 would cost a tax payer just over $4.00 a month. Since most of the homes in Briley Twsp have a taxable base of $60000 or less, it would cost an average, that would be less than $3.00 month. I am willing to find in my budget $3.00 a month so that our community can have an opportunity to grow. This is not just for a place for kids to go. It could potentially have a spot for 24 hour day care for working parents, it could have a community theater housed there. It has the ability to create jobs for members of our community. It has the potential to draw in other business to this community. It is time to stop whining about Atlanta dying and doing something to try to bring the life back into this town. I for one am willing to give up a cup of coffee a month, or a pack of cigarettes a month (that would actually cover 2 months of my portion of the bill and be a little bit healthier too!), or a couple of sodas. My point being is that I understand that money is tight, its just a matter of being willing to cut back on some extras to give this town life! I hope others will feel this way and help to make this happen.
Ralph

Middleboro, MA

#8 Oct 30, 2009
I see this as a win, win situation for Atlanta. As has been proven by the history of this building for the last decade that nothing is going to happen unless we the people in Atlanta do it and make it happen. Yes, it may cost us a little bit but what will we be gaining? If this opens up we will have a pretty good downtown development project that should stimulate more growth and business to Atlanta. From what I understand there is a ton of Obama stimulus money out there for projects like this that will create jobs for contractors, electricians, and other occupations hence creating jobs and revenue for our community. Wouldnít it be nice to have someplace that everyone could enjoy? Think of it a gym, a stage, dances,weight room, and Iím sure a lot more. Plus the social services like day care etc. This is a plus for us and I mean a BIG PLUS for our community. Come on people can we do ONE POSITIVE thing as a community and bring pride back to Atlanta?
White House in Atlanta

United States

#9 Oct 31, 2009
The true cost will be after the purchase. Even $10 a resident is a joke. Why pay $50,000 and more whenthe owner paid less than $40,000. This is a down economy. What is your house worth? Grants are available if you have done your home work. This has not been done. Michigan is out of money. Ask the school district! Atlanta is not a minority community nor has a strong voting record that supports the current administration. The cost per tax payer will be much higher. Rent Acorn the building and you will be ahead.
Ralph

Middleboro, MA

#10 Oct 31, 2009
White House in Atlanta wrote:
The true cost will be after the purchase. Even $10 a resident is a joke. Why pay $50,000 and more whenthe owner paid less than $40,000. This is a down economy. What is your house worth? Grants are available if you have done your home work. This has not been done. Michigan is out of money. Ask the school district! Atlanta is not a minority community nor has a strong voting record that supports the current administration. The cost per tax payer will be much higher. Rent Acorn the building and you will be ahead.
The money has already been found but can't be pursued until Briley Twp. has possession. If its like normal situations that we do in this community the money will be gone and then we will HAVE to do something with it. If the new owner just walked and took his losses we would end up paying to have the building torn down and hauled away as a community blight. The longer that building sets empty, the more its going to cost us. Someplace "WE" are going to pay believe me.
Ralph

Middleboro, MA

#11 Oct 31, 2009
Sorry I have to add this. My question to you all is? How many times do you want to pay for this building? We already paid to build it, and we are going to have to pay to tear it down. I guarantee it. Anybody that doesnít think so is being totally naÔve, as the existing owner will eventually quit paying taxes on it, it will get in increasingly worse condition and end up being useless to anybody for any function or purpose. The price of a tear down will probably be 100 times what we paid to have it built. Every year we lose more jobs, more businesses, and more people move out of Atlanta. The tax burden will not go away, it will just be spread out amongst fewer people living here. We already are feeling the pain from all the foreclosed and empty building/houses and it is going to get worse. This has already been going on for over 10 years and NOW the township is finally willing to put it to use and make it functional. Had this happened 10 years ago we could have been using it all this time and the cost factor would have been alot less. Nobody knows what this will cost US later so consider that.
White House in Atlanta

United States

#12 Oct 31, 2009
"The money has already been found but can't be pursued until Briley Twp. has possession." Show us the money! You are in dream land! Las Vegas is a better bet. If this is such a great opportunity please form a private non profit and go for it. Why should the community pay for a long shot? This sounds like Washington D.C.
Community supporter

Coldwater, MI

#13 Oct 31, 2009
Ralph wrote:
Sorry I have to add this. My question to you all is? How many times do you want to pay for this building? We already paid to build it, and we are going to have to pay to tear it down. I guarantee it. Anybody that doesnít think so is being totally naÔve, as the existing owner will eventually quit paying taxes on it, it will get in increasingly worse condition and end up being useless to anybody for any function or purpose. The price of a tear down will probably be 100 times what we paid to have it built. Every year we lose more jobs, more businesses, and more people move out of Atlanta. The tax burden will not go away, it will just be spread out amongst fewer people living here. We already are feeling the pain from all the foreclosed and empty building/houses and it is going to get worse. This has already been going on for over 10 years and NOW the township is finally willing to put it to use and make it functional. Had this happened 10 years ago we could have been using it all this time and the cost factor would have been alot less. Nobody knows what this will cost US later so consider that.
Since it was the Tri Township Ambulance service that had the electric meter removed from the building in the first place which caused the whole problem, it would make more sense for the Township to pay to upgrade the electrical system in the building to bring it up to code. This would allow the owner of the building to get electrical service to the building so that he could proceed with the plans he had. He would then be able to open the facility and put people to work. It would also keep the property on the tax roles and bring in money to the Township, rather than cost money. The taxes collected on the property would eventually pay for the cost of the electrical upgrade. This would be considerably cheaper for the Township citizens. The building would be utilized without taxpayer subsidies. There would be no government competition with private businesses. A major renovation to the building would not be required.

Why is it only the Township, it its infinite wisdom, that can do good with that building? Just a few years ago the Township Treasurer told the Chamber of Commerce that the Township did not have the money or personnel to buy and put up barricades for the street closure for the Elk Festival. Now the Township has the money to pay for the maintenance, upkeep and personnel to run this building that will solve all of the problems of unemployment and business opportunities in Briley Township? Where did this newly acquired wealth come from? If the Township has all this money, maybe it should look toward upgrading the water system and putting in a sewer system. That would truly solve a lot of the economic problems in our area.
Ralph

Middleboro, MA

#14 Nov 1, 2009
Community supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Since it was the Tri Township Ambulance service that had the electric meter removed from the building in the first place which caused the whole problem, it would make more sense for the Township to pay to upgrade the electrical system in the building to bring it up to code. This would allow the owner of the building to get electrical service to the building so that he could proceed with the plans he had. He would then be able to open the facility and put people to work. It would also keep the property on the tax roles and bring in money to the Township, rather than cost money. The taxes collected on the property would eventually pay for the cost of the electrical upgrade. This would be considerably cheaper for the Township citizens. The building would be utilized without taxpayer subsidies. There would be no government competition with private businesses. A major renovation to the building would not be required.
Why is it only the Township, it its infinite wisdom, that can do good with that building? Just a few years ago the Township Treasurer told the Chamber of Commerce that the Township did not have the money or personnel to buy and put up barricades for the street closure for the Elk Festival. Now the Township has the money to pay for the maintenance, upkeep and personnel to run this building that will solve all of the problems of unemployment and business opportunities in Briley Township? Where did this newly acquired wealth come from? If the Township has all this money, maybe it should look toward upgrading the water system and putting in a sewer system. That would truly solve a lot of the economic problems in our area.
Surprisingly I agree with you on a lot of what you are saying. Because of past Township actions is exactly why we are where we are at and with their current actions here we go again. I donít see where there is any competition to local business and even if it were a little competition would be good for the area. Remember what we used to pay for gas is a good example. It is evident that the owner of the building has backed out and isnít going to do anything with it and I donít blame them with the way they were treated here as you already stated, so we get the white elephant dumped right back in our laps. What most people donít know is that Ĺ the township board wanted to do was ďBUYĒ the building, get the grants and make this happen. The other Ĺ of the board (Rose & Jim) said yes but only if they levied a millage to the township.(It seems that everything that could be good is always shut down by these two) No matter what we say the fact remains that we could use the community center, we will probably end up with this building stuffed up our butts and have to destroy it at a big expense to us.
main street

United States

#15 Nov 1, 2009
Get Whitey seems to have a litle knowlege on the subject. I copied this from another post

As for for the school, Wouldn't be cheaper to raze the old building and put up a new steel building and build it to your needs?? There was a feasible study done when the ACE was going to purchase the school and this is just some of what has to be replaced, new roof, electrical, plumbing, a new boiler system, Any idea the condition on the 4 septic systems??
Also going to have to put in a elevator and make the whole place it handicap accessible. Oh can't forget about parking.

It's not that I'm agains't the whole thing but I think everyone involved should look at the big picture. You're going to spend money repairing the old building faster than Washington can print it. If you want to see what your getting into and a good laugh at the same time go rent the movie "The money pit".
And yes I'll still vote for it even though I won't be here to help pay for it
Good luck in whatever you do with it
Community supporter

Trafford, PA

#16 Nov 1, 2009
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>Surprisingly I agree with you on a lot of what you are saying. Because of past Township actions is exactly why we are where we are at and with their current actions here we go again. I donít see where there is any competition to local business and even if it were a little competition would be good for the area. Remember what we used to pay for gas is a good example. It is evident that the owner of the building has backed out and isnít going to do anything with it and I donít blame them with the way they were treated here as you already stated, so we get the white elephant dumped right back in our laps. What most people donít know is that Ĺ the township board wanted to do was ďBUYĒ the building, get the grants and make this happen. The other Ĺ of the board (Rose & Jim) said yes but only if they levied a millage to the township.(It seems that everything that could be good is always shut down by these two) No matter what we say the fact remains that we could use the community center, we will probably end up with this building stuffed up our butts and have to destroy it at a big expense to us.
Competition is a wonderful thing as long as everyone is on the same level playing field. But when one of the "businesses" is a governmental agency that is exempt of most taxes and is also subsidised by taxpayers there is no level playing field. The advantage to the governmental agency is great enough that it will eventually drive the private business out of existence. Very much what happened with NAFTA and GAT.(Remember the giant sucking sound Ross Perot was talking about?)

This is the same situation we are looking at with the Congress' proposed 1990 page health care bill with the "public option". This will eventually drive the health insurance industry out of business.

While we're at it, it is only a few dollars a month for this, and only a few dollars a month for the new patrol cars, and only a few more dollars a month for additional officers. Not to mention that everyone's property taxes will be going up by the cost of living multiplier again this year (as it does every year).

If the Township really wants the building they can wait for the thing to go up on a tax sale. Then they can get it for pennies on the dollar.

I'm sorry, but with the track record of our Township looking out for our best interests, I am very leary of this type of venture. If expenses go up by more than anticipated we will be looking at future tax increases. If those increases are voted down the Township can eliminate other services to put the money into the building.

Government cannot handle money better than private enterprise. This has been proven time and time again because it is not their money. Besides, the building is just not big enough to do all of the things that are being planned for it.
Get Whitey

United States

#17 Nov 2, 2009
Hey I'll be in the "hood" tomorrow to vote for both millages
White House in Atlanta

United States

#18 Nov 2, 2009
That is what was great about this country!
Community Cntr Supporter

United States

#19 Nov 3, 2009
Just voted, Feel good about it! Finally we might be able to get some of our federal tax dollars paid out back into this community! And at the same time provide something this town can be proud of! One less vacant building (hopefully) in down town only a dozen more to go......
Community supporter

Trafford, PA

#20 Nov 3, 2009
Community Cntr Supporter wrote:
Just voted, Feel good about it! Finally we might be able to get some of our federal tax dollars paid out back into this community! And at the same time provide something this town can be proud of! One less vacant building (hopefully) in down town only a dozen more to go......
Maybe the Township can buy up the rest of them, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
park millage Apr 30 Ben Had in Briley... 2
any shemales? Apr 28 iloveshemales 1
1920's Atlanta mi (Nov '08) Apr 27 Mark H 22
young girls for older guys Apr 26 othih 7
Why are black women jealous of me? (May '13) Apr 21 Chidi 14
El Bo Inn What a JOKE... (Jul '08) Apr 7 DMacDaddy 137
Atlanta Auto Repair (Sep '14) Mar '15 DRS 5
More from around the web

Atlanta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE