Ready, set, sit . . . for about 43 hours

Ready, set, sit . . . for about 43 hours

There are 23 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 18, 2007, titled Ready, set, sit . . . for about 43 hours. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

What would you do with an extra 43 hours a year? Morning rush hour: A new study tells these folks on I-465 what they already knew: Indy drivers waste time in traffic -- about 43 hours a year in 2005, more than ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bruce

Whitestown, IN

#1 Sep 19, 2007
laughter....wasted time...these people see everything as hurry up and get there///slow down ..you will live longer
Bart stinks

Panama City, FL

#2 Sep 19, 2007
The definition of "delay" for this study is traveling less than 60 mph on "freeways." That means if you obey the posted speed limits of 50 and 55 mph through Indianapolis, you are "delayed."
lake county girl

Florence, KY

#3 Sep 19, 2007
Nashville, TN is putting in a commuter train and requiring every child have at least one hour of exercise at school per day. NOW who's the hillbillies?
Doug

Greenwood, IN

#5 Sep 19, 2007
Not only are we slaves at work but also on the road trapped in our cars. The whole capitalist system has made slaves out of us in every way possible.

“Fighting Against Stupidity”

Since: Aug 07

Ingalls, IN

#7 Sep 19, 2007
Doug wrote:
Not only are we slaves at work but also on the road trapped in our cars. The whole capitalist system has made slaves out of us in every way possible.
The whole capitalist system puts food on your table, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and gives you a computer with an internet connection so you can show the entire world just how stupid and hypocritical you are.
get over it

Burlington, KY

#8 Sep 19, 2007
Doug wrote:
Cry me a river... If you seriously think that you are a "slave" to the capitalist system, and can't even make your own decision as to finding a job closer to your home, telecommuting, starting your own business, etc., you deserve to feel as worthless as you do. Grow up you baby.

Since: Dec 06

Peru, Indiana

#9 Sep 19, 2007
This reminds me of "micro-management". Time management is something for work not after you've "clocked out". I need that 40 minutes of commute time each day to plan my day while driving to work and to relax-unwind on my way home. Works out good for me. No gripes here on that 43 hours, probably spend more time then that on the pot or drinking my coffee in the morning.

Since: Dec 06

Peru, Indiana

#10 Sep 19, 2007
Man-o-man, after reading through these posts I'm surprised by what's being posted. Just gets back to what I often say, only registered members should be allowed to post comments.
LayLo

AOL

#11 Sep 19, 2007
What's the hurry?
Options

Kokomo, IN

#13 Sep 19, 2007
Doug wrote:
You have plenty of options to live in other economies throughout the world. Please do so and in five years get back to us on that one ok?
Markus

Livonia, MI

#15 Sep 19, 2007
get over it wrote:
<quoted text>
Cry me a river... If you seriously think that you are a "slave" to the capitalist system, and can't even make your own decision as to finding a job closer to your home, telecommuting, starting your own business, etc., you deserve to feel as worthless as you do. Grow up you baby.
If someone takes all those steps, they will fall into poverty and then they will simply be described as "lazy". Only because they didn't want to be another pawn in the hamster wheel. The fact remains, our economy has pushed the cost of living in small communities to such high level that in order to make average income you will likely have to spend much more time commuting than even a decade ago.

“Not you average Cracker”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#16 Sep 19, 2007
This is a report from a group that gets its funding to make such findings. There is congestion in some parts of the country that causes delay, but for the Star to print this and say that people in Indiana have that much delay is nothing but yellow journalism.
dpk

Arcadia, IN

#17 Sep 19, 2007
Excellent point. Indianapolis can we please follow Nashville, and get a commuter train. Don't say we don't have the funds; we spend like we have an unlimited amount.
lake county girl wrote:
Nashville, TN is putting in a commuter train and requiring every child have at least one hour of exercise at school per day. NOW who's the hillbillies?
TheHarv

North Judson, IN

#18 Sep 19, 2007
If you build it, they will come...
Lorin Thwaits

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Sep 19, 2007
What I get out of this is that a few Texans have concluded that we should continue to focus on an oil-based solution: exclusively using cars for our transportation needs. I would only hope that the real solution for most cities is a greatly expanded light rail system. The more the freeway system is upgraded, the less incentive to finally adopt rail. And the more we shoot ourselves (and the environment) in the foot.

Even for sprawling cities there are alternatives to the auto. Look at San Francisco's very successful BART. Or the Metro in D.C. As density rises riding on rails becomes inevitable. I guess most of the challenge is changing people's mind-set to accept that the subway can be a much faster way to commute than driving.
Bye bye

Warsaw, IN

#22 Sep 19, 2007
Doug wrote:
Catch a plane to any third world country you like!! Just make sure your camel has a comfortable hump to ride on!!
Told ya

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Sep 19, 2007
james wrote:
With the worst economy in our lifetime according to the same jerk that wrote the story...and nobody working according to the same jerk...where are all the people driving to?????
Maybe the Mall to spend the money that they are't making accoeding to the same jerk.
Maybe someday the Indy Star will report news and not agenda
I didn't see any of that in the article. What are you ranting about?
Make some sense.
xyz

Newport, KY

#24 Sep 19, 2007
Let's see, 43 hours/year = 2,580 minutes/year. If you divide that by 250 days (5 days/week x 50 weeks) you get 10.32 minutes/day, or 5.16 minutes per trip. Either the study is flawed or the problem isn't that bad.
jabber

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Sep 19, 2007
Creating a better mass transit system will take years. For now I carpool whenever possible. It gives me time to relax on the way home.

Do you notice the same cars beside you every day with only one person in them? Think of how much traffic would be avoided with even 1/8 of those cars replaced with two to a car.
getreal

Alexandria, IN

#27 Sep 19, 2007
That is only 10 minutes a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. What's the big deal? Is that really worth spending billions on instead of just adjusting our travel schedules?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica stout a witch? (Jul '14) Nov 30 Ron 7
Looking for a 4 bd 2 bth pet friendly home Nov 26 aperk 1
Rob Dockemeyer Nov '16 LLL 1
your a jerk Oct '16 VERY CONCERNED CI... 1
News Amber Alert teen rescued; man under arrest Oct '16 Close call 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Truth 95
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Oct '15 Yes 17

Atlanta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlanta Mortgages