Lexington loses 'civic cornerstone' a...

Lexington loses 'civic cornerstone' as banker dies in Georgia

There are 21 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Jul 20, 2010, titled Lexington loses 'civic cornerstone' as banker dies in Georgia. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

Samuel G. Barnes Sr., president of Fifth Third's Central Kentucky operations for nearly 20 years and a noted community patron, died Tuesday while in Georgia for his son's upcoming wedding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sad

Clarksville, TN

#1 Jul 21, 2010
How terrible this is. Cannot imagine.
HMMM

Lexington, KY

#2 Jul 21, 2010
Sorry, from a business perspective, cant say that I have any sympathy. All these great things he apparently has done for our "community" does not change the fact that greed was his bottom line concern. His business refuses to work with me or other people I know to help save their house. Just goes to show that greed loses in the end. Flame me if you want, but that does not change the fact that I will be losing my home because that bank will not work with me.
sad

Richmond, KY

#3 Jul 21, 2010
His personal life does not have anything to do with yours. I am sorry you are losing your home because of the bank, that is a tragedy in itself. There is too much of that going on in our society today. I really am sorry.
But, his personal life and business life do not coincide with the bank. He was unable to attend his son's wedding for gosh sakes.
GotIt

Lexington, KY

#4 Jul 21, 2010
sad wrote:
His personal life does not have anything to do with yours. I am sorry you are losing your home because of the bank, that is a tragedy in itself. There is too much of that going on in our society today. I really am sorry.
But, his personal life and business life do not coincide with the bank. He was unable to attend his son's wedding for gosh sakes.
No his personal life does not have anything to do with mine, thank goodness. But, his business life does affect my personal life very much so, it has cost myself and many others their home because of their greed. I dare to think that he would have ever come explain to my family why we have to move.
miss piggy

Lexington, KY

#5 Jul 21, 2010
maybe you had to move cause of misfortune, maybe other reasons such as failure to pay down debt, who knows, who cares, point is you had a personal loss just like this man's family has a awful and personal loss. life is much more important in the end than land or homes. i think your statements are among the most heartless i have seen on topix. guess you have to live with them, though, heart or no heart. sleep on all that comfortably.
GotIt

Lexington, KY

#6 Jul 21, 2010
miss piggy wrote:
maybe you had to move cause of misfortune, maybe other reasons such as failure to pay down debt, who knows, who cares, point is you had a personal loss just like this man's family has a awful and personal loss. life is much more important in the end than land or homes. i think your statements are among the most heartless i have seen on topix. guess you have to live with them, though, heart or no heart. sleep on all that comfortably.
I will sleep on it with my family under a bridge somewhere.
Good grief

Lexington, KY

#7 Jul 21, 2010
Are you kidding me. Do you think Sam was the only banker in the world that has had to make decisions on loans such as yours? I know how devestated you are, I have a child in the same situation but she would never wish a tragedy like this on someone else's family. She is losing her home due to bad decisions on the part of her spouse, not the banker. Did you ever stop to realize that his bank is nationwide and maybe that HIS hands were tied?

You should be ashamed to be so heartless and unfeeling. His son is starting a new part of his life and that has now been ruined.

You need to take a good hard look at yourself, GOTLT. and pray that such a statement does not get you struck down. That is what is wrong in this world now, lack of human concern for one another. Maybe God is teaching you a lesson in greed as well
miss piggy

Lexington, KY

#8 Jul 21, 2010
that is the reply your type would figure to make in the face of the innocent loss of a person's life. sleep away pal
GotIt

Lexington, KY

#9 Jul 21, 2010
Good grief wrote:
Are you kidding me. Do you think Sam was the only banker in the world that has had to make decisions on loans such as yours? I know how devestated you are, I have a child in the same situation but she would never wish a tragedy like this on someone else's family. She is losing her home due to bad decisions on the part of her spouse, not the banker. Did you ever stop to realize that his bank is nationwide and maybe that HIS hands were tied?
You should be ashamed to be so heartless and unfeeling. His son is starting a new part of his life and that has now been ruined.
You need to take a good hard look at yourself, GOTLT. and pray that such a statement does not get you struck down. That is what is wrong in this world now, lack of human concern for one another. Maybe God is teaching you a lesson in greed as well
Its all a matter of perspective. He was one of the Presidents of the company, he had a very powerful voice within the corporation. Where was his concern for my well being, other than his company telling me everything they could not do to help my situation. And besides, I never asked to be their customer anyways, I did not have a choice but to be their customer. I was happy with the original bank my mortgage was through. But nooooo.... in their quest for world banking dominance they purchase my contract without so much as a courtesy call to see what I thought about it. But yet they take a bailout because of bad decisions on their part but holds me strictly to my agreement, how many agreements did they not stick to by taking that several billion dollar bailout. And yet they have the gall to tell me that I do not fit the profile for needing a loan modification.
miss piggy

Lexington, KY

#10 Jul 21, 2010
good grief, it is useless to talk humanity with this alleged person, like getting into a bathrooming contest with a skunk.. he can sleep well without a conscience, but must answer to a higher authority in the end.
GotIt

Lexington, KY

#11 Jul 21, 2010
miss piggy wrote:
good grief, it is useless to talk humanity with this alleged person, like getting into a bathrooming contest with a skunk.. he can sleep well without a conscience, but must answer to a higher authority in the end.
Since you want to bring god into this conversation, maybe god did this because of all the other people that were screwed out of their homes and savings.
sad

Richmond, KY

#12 Jul 21, 2010
gotit, understand you are a very sad and hurt person, but what you just said is pittyful!
miss piggy

Lexington, KY

#13 Jul 21, 2010
i am sorry for your misfortune. don't know the reasons, none of my business. but maybe the man you have it out so bad for is not the sole reason for your predicament. maybe you are focusing all the bad in your little life on this one thing. but i do not without any doubt that you can wake up in the morning and hold onto your loved ones. he can't. now how damn selfish and more-mean spirited can you be. you take the honors, hands down.
GotIt

Lexington, KY

#14 Jul 21, 2010
sad wrote:
gotit, understand you are a very sad and hurt person, but what you just said is pittyful!
Maybe so, but its how I feel and I am not apologizing for it.
hello

Waterloo, Canada

#15 Jul 21, 2010
Have you considered working with protectmykentuckyhome.org ?? This program is handled thru the state and has nothing to do with the banks. I knew Mr. Barnes personally and trust me, if it were up to him no person would suffer the loss of their home. He was a wonderful, kind hearted man and I do not think God wouldn't punish him or his family for the economic crisis America is in.
Jaguar

Lexington, KY

#16 Jul 21, 2010
Thank u miss piggy the one normal person besides me who cherrishes life over nice things like what kinda car u drumive or what kinda house u live in or how big ur tv is.
GotIt

Springfield, OH

#17 Jul 21, 2010
hello wrote:
Have you considered working with protectmykentuckyhome.org ?? This program is handled thru the state and has nothing to do with the banks. I knew Mr. Barnes personally and trust me, if it were up to him no person would suffer the loss of their home. He was a wonderful, kind hearted man and I do not think God wouldn't punish him or his family for the economic crisis America is in.
But yet he accepted his 7 figure salary regardless while others scraping by suffer. He was part of it, may not be directly but he still profited from it. It is a sad loss for his family, but he does not deserve to be put on some pedestal.
miss piggy

Lexington, KY

#18 Jul 21, 2010
gotl, ur kind of messed
sad

Georgetown, KY

#19 Jul 22, 2010
Wow, what a horrible thing to happen at anytime - losing a parent is sad. But during the wedding event puts one of those horrid memories in your mind when you should be thinking about the happy stuff.
Legacy

Lexington, KY

#20 Jul 22, 2010
GotIt, he would never want to be put on a pedestal. You are entitled to your opinion of him. He worked amazingly hard for the money he earned. I'm quite sure he didn't want you to suffer...and gave a large percentage of his salary to organizations that help folks that are suffering...organizations that can help you. Clearly you didn't know this man. He was but one man...one man that will leave a community better than it was before him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Developer turns attention to Gainesville downto... 5 hr John Valenza 3
News Two Shot Outside Downtown Atlanta Bank (Apr '08) May 6 Kat 125
free sex tonight! (Sep '13) May 4 David 12
News 72 hours in Atlanta May 1 eaw 1
News Beat The Winter Blues In Blue Ridge, Ga. Feb '17 Bojack the beastm... 9
News How Atlantans can show support during this trag... (Jul '16) Jul '16 BlackLivesMATTER 2
News Bernie Sanders comes to Atlanta (Sep '15) Mar '16 Mikey 7

Downtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downtown Mortgages