Joe Guy won~ Guy vs Guy for Sheriff
Black Cloud

Athens, TN

#42 Jun 4, 2010
Semper Fi!!
WHAT

Smyrna, TN

#43 Jun 4, 2010
You are apparently a veteran, and we thank you for your service to our Country, so that we can even get on this forum and voice our opinions, whether someone agrees with them or not. Citizens don't thank our verterans enough. So, Thank You for that. I too get out and support the candidate I choose - Go David!
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Best I can remember at my Advanced Age, I am a McMinn County Citizen and Voter. I own 3 properties, run and own 3 small business's all of which is in the County. And YES I do support the one I chose to vote for of which I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps for that right to vote.
joebama

Athens, TN

#44 Jun 15, 2010
A couple of questions? Can anyone answer these?
1.Who did Joey Guy support for president in the last election?.....I Know joe, it was Obama
2. What ever became of Joey,s brother in lay accused of solicitation of a minor for sex?...I know Joe , it was swept under the rug...
3.Other than the coaching staff's kids,who got to play good positions on your youth sports teams ...I know Joe ...nobody (this includes baseball, football and cheerleading
4.What kind of real experience does Joe really have? I know Joe....Very little (compared to David Guy or eventhe Fris)
Please answer these questions citizens of Mcminn county
no way

Athens, TN

#45 Jun 15, 2010
Here is what happedned to his brother in law

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/sorint/sordetailar...
Jayhawk

Athens, TN

#46 Jun 16, 2010
Heres an idea! Why don't you people be PRO David instead of Anti Joe? It would be much more becoming of the candidate. If someone is posting on a forum its safe to say that they probably have their minds made up and nothing you can say on here will change their mind. If by chance, they are undecided the venom you are spewing wether true or untrue does more harm than good. Myself i would rather hear why I should vote for David instead of why I shouldn't vote for Joe. Joe seems to be running a positive campaign and is capitalizing on it with hard work. He is not sitting back and slamming David. His people are out in the streets relaying his message. I am impressed with David's experience and qualifications and think he would be a fine Sheriff. But with the don't vote for Joe because he voted for Obama type tactics his resume is not being seen by the voters! There is still time so run your campaign towards its strengh and Joe's weakness. I'm sure David has an impressive personal file compare to Joe's and thats your key to winning. If voters aren't swayed by that, then you never really had a chance anyway no matter how much you bash Joe. Good Luck to all!
lol

Saint Augustine, FL

#47 Jun 16, 2010
Dosent matter to me who either Joe or David voted on for president... That has no effect on how either plans to do thier JOB.

He went to court and got probation and I think he is also so a registered sex offender... again has no effect on how Joe or David plan to do thier job.

On coaching my kids dont currently play but there are no good positions in cheer leading and maybe you should voulenteer to coach if u dont like the way things are handled or take it to a superior... and again has no effect on how Joe or David plan to do thier job...
Joe being an officer of this county and many other good standing Jobs is experience enough and well as David... and really how does one get the knowledge without doing the job even if I worked 1 week at the sheriffs department I worked there and nothing anyone says or does can change that...
Please people know your candidates and express you vision of what they can do for ur town down grading the other person just makes u and ur candidate look bad.
Really

Smyrna, TN

#48 Jun 16, 2010
I agree with you Jayhawk on some things, and I don't see the need to bring up information not directly related to experience, unless that information will affect the office itself and/or that person's character. Yes, Joe has been out working the streets. I'm just a little leary with some of his wording on his experience related to law enforcement with nothing to back it up. Whereas, with David's experience, he has to keep up with the law, which you have to know to be able to run the Sheriff's Dept without causing McMinn County a lot of lawsuits if someone's rights are violated.
In listening to both sides, this is what I have related to the job of Sheriff:
Joe Guy - worked 5-6 years, primarily as an School Resource Officer, with a short time as a road deputy; Assistant to County Mayor. Joe last worked law enforcement about 9-10 years ago. His work with the County Mayor's office does give him government experience in knowing how government works. Joe also writes books, is County Historian, etc... but in my opinion the latter two doesn't count toward being a good Sheriff.
David Guy - 35-38 years different areas of law enforcement; currently on leave from TBI to run for Sheriff. I don't know how this would match the county government experience, but, David is a certified jail administrator, and that does count for a lot. I hope I didn't bash anyone, but these are facts I am aware of, and my opinion.
As for the bashing, I have heard it from both sides, and won't repeat any of it, because like you said, if people have their minds made up, then regardless of what anyone says, they won't change it.
Finally, based on the qualifications and experience alone, then I would have to put myself in an employer position, and ask myself which person I would want to hire for my company. That would have to be David. So, the Christian thing to do is just to wish them both well; hope the family can stay together after this; and VOTE my conscious.
Jayhawk wrote:
Heres an idea! Why don't you people be PRO David instead of Anti Joe? It would be much more becoming of the candidate. If someone is posting on a forum its safe to say that they probably have their minds made up and nothing you can say on here will change their mind. If by chance, they are undecided the venom you are spewing wether true or untrue does more harm than good. Myself i would rather hear why I should vote for David instead of why I shouldn't vote for Joe. Joe seems to be running a positive campaign and is capitalizing on it with hard work. He is not sitting back and slamming David. His people are out in the streets relaying his message. I am impressed with David's experience and qualifications and think he would be a fine Sheriff. But with the don't vote for Joe because he voted for Obama type tactics his resume is not being seen by the voters! There is still time so run your campaign towards its strengh and Joe's weakness. I'm sure David has an impressive personal file compare to Joe's and thats your key to winning. If voters aren't swayed by that, then you never really had a chance anyway no matter how much you bash Joe. Good Luck to all!
Wow 2010

Athens, TN

#49 Jun 16, 2010
It's all about Joe. That is why Joe is ahead and why Joe is going to win. Their campaign is going down in flames.
Jayhawk

Athens, TN

#50 Jun 16, 2010
Wow 2010 wrote:
It's all about Joe. That is why Joe is ahead and why Joe is going to win. Their campaign is going down in flames.
you are one of the worst! Joe is much the little darling of McMinn County politics and the DPA. Shades of Sarah Palin and or Obama. It has nothing to do with the other campaign. The deck was stacked very high to begin with.
Jayhawk

Athens, TN

#51 Jun 16, 2010
As a matter of fact its so predictable I will put it all to rest and this mundane forum can die....
Joe
Cheryl
Randall
Evonne

Miss anyone? You arent the only with a cyrstal ball..yet you act like you are so above everyone else. Its not rocket science yet you treat it as such. My apologies to the other posters. My initial post was just to advise that whoever you support keep it positive and yet I get drawn into by some know it all Glenn Beck wanna be!
no way

Athens, TN

#52 Jun 16, 2010
lol wrote:
Dosent matter to me who either Joe or David voted on for president... That has no effect on how either plans to do thier JOB.
He went to court and got probation and I think he is also so a registered sex offender... again has no effect on how Joe or David plan to do thier job.
On coaching my kids dont currently play but there are no good positions in cheer leading and maybe you should voulenteer to coach if u dont like the way things are handled or take it to a superior... and again has no effect on how Joe or David plan to do thier job...
Joe being an officer of this county and many other good standing Jobs is experience enough and well as David... and really how does one get the knowledge without doing the job even if I worked 1 week at the sheriffs department I worked there and nothing anyone says or does can change that...
Please people know your candidates and express you vision of what they can do for ur town down grading the other person just makes u and ur candidate look bad.
Probation? Exactly my point! And where were all the DPA reporters when this all went down? Solicitation of a child! I wonder what the childs parents think of the PROBATION?.....What if it had been one of your children? You dont think Joe and his political status had anything to do with this. Not to mention the convicted mans father being in politics himself.
And you dont think that showing favoritism is a bad thing for a sheriff? Treating children badly on the ball field ..Children!?
And you dont think I am interested in what party my candidate is?
Why is everyone brainwashed into thinking that experience wont matter?
And David is not my first choice for sheriff either however he would be the lesser of the two evils.
Does it matter who is sheriff? No just making an observation.
An author and county mayor's "lapdog" do not a good sheriff make
Pebo

Athens, TN

#53 Jun 16, 2010
Rant all you want it still will not change the outcome of the election....
Wow 2010

Athens, TN

#54 Jun 16, 2010
Jayhawk wrote:
<quoted text>you are one of the worst! Joe is much the little darling of McMinn County politics and the DPA. Shades of Sarah Palin and or Obama. It has nothing to do with the other campaign. The deck was stacked very high to begin with.
You are a little too emotional about this stuff. Drawing contrasts to Palin and Obama is quite a stretch but if works for you run with it. And I'm Glen Beck, lol!
Really

Smyrna, TN

#55 Jun 16, 2010
I understand your frustration. It is way too easy to get drawn into all the negativity, especially with some of these meaningless posts. Unfortunetly, I have been drawn into it, and probably will again - it's just the nature of the beast. A HUGE frustration of mine is that I wonder if the people of McMinn County really even care who is most qualified to do the job. This county has got to make a turn for the better, or we are all going to be sucked down the drain.
I think I understand your reasoning behind your "predictions", but I'm praying that it will be: David, Ann, Randall, Evonne, and of course Phil (he has no competition - besides, can't help but like the guy (no pun intended). BTW, who is Keith Price? I don't know anything about him except that he is running for Evonne's position. I heard he works or worked at Bowaters???- not sure.
Jayhawk wrote:
As a matter of fact its so predictable I will put it all to rest and this mundane forum can die....
Joe
Cheryl
Randall
Evonne
Miss anyone? You arent the only with a cyrstal ball..yet you act like you are so above everyone else. Its not rocket science yet you treat it as such. My apologies to the other posters. My initial post was just to advise that whoever you support keep it positive and yet I get drawn into by some know it all Glenn Beck wanna be!
Wow 2010

Athens, TN

#56 Jun 16, 2010
A HUGE frustration of mine is that I wonder if the people of McMinn County really even care who is most qualified to do the job. This county has got to make a turn for the better, or we are all going to be sucked down the drain.

Are you saying voters who do not agree with you do not care? That is kind of self serving and one sided isn't it. Trying to make the argument that Joe Guy is unqualified and doesn't care doesn't about Mc Minn county cut it, that is why it has not gotten any traction. Both of these candidates care about the county and I am sure their supporters do also. The choice this year is which candidate represents a changing of the guard at the sheriff's department and moving it forward. The actions of these candidates in THIS campaign make the choice for the vast majority of voters clear.
kirk

United States

#57 Jun 18, 2010
Well with all the talk of who would be good in leadership as a sheriff or any other leadership possition, check their past.The first place to start is not at their last job, but their leadership as a husband and a father. Ask their wife and children. And ask the last 2 or 3 wifes and if their are children there, ask them. That would give a very good carreter reference.
This is to be of utmost importance for leadership as christian possitions perscribes. I believe it would work well for a sheriff too.
Pebo

Athens, TN

#58 Jun 18, 2010
yeah we need someone holier than thou in there...
Pebo

Athens, TN

#59 Jun 18, 2010
I did not mean to insinuate that Joe couldn't walk on water as Wow 2010 has proclaimed. I cannot confirm or denythat proclaimation. Although, Matt once told me that he watched Joe part the Ocoee during one of the Good Ole Boys Roundups.
REALLY

Smyrna, TN

#60 Jun 18, 2010
I did not say anything about qualified...or not caring for this county I said the "... care who is most qualified to do the job." There is a difference in qualified and most qualified. So, you can go ahead and stop the word play and twisting everything people say on this forum to fit your agenda. You are apparently a Joe supporter, so the best to you.
Wow 2010 wrote:
A HUGE frustration of mine is that I wonder if the people of McMinn County really even care who is most qualified to do the job. This county has got to make a turn for the better, or we are all going to be sucked down the drain.
Are you saying voters who do not agree with you do not care? That is kind of self serving and one sided isn't it. Trying to make the argument that Joe Guy is unqualified and doesn't care doesn't about Mc Minn county cut it, that is why it has not gotten any traction. Both of these candidates care about the county and I am sure their supporters do also. The choice this year is which candidate represents a changing of the guard at the sheriff's department and moving it forward. The actions of these candidates in THIS campaign make the choice for the vast majority of voters clear.
Wow 2010

Athens, TN

#61 Jun 18, 2010
REALLY wrote:
I did not say anything about qualified...or not caring for this county I said the "... care who is most qualified to do the job." There is a difference in qualified and most qualified. So, you can go ahead and stop the word play and twisting everything people say on this forum to fit your agenda. You are apparently a Joe supporter, so the best to you.
<quoted text>
Why you sound a little pessimistic about your Guy's chances. Things must not be too happy in the FNWSWSFD coalition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheena mchone I'm desperate to hear from ypu 5 hr Dagrunt 1
lisa davis (Apr '12) 13 hr Been there 21
Sheila White (May '12) 23 hr Sheila Lewis White 32
angry rabbit, Insane or fine story teller Wed Just a wondering 1
Sheena Mchone contact me Wed Dagrunt 26
Feezel RD Tue I know Goonice 11
Revival Tue Hey 1

Athens Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance