First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cold momma

Augusta, MI

#1 Dec 5, 2010
I saw a homeless woman walking down Decatur Pike...I wonder where she lives and how she stays warm on cold nights like tonight? I wish Athens had some kind of shelter for homeless folk...you never know it could be you living under a bridge or in a caredboard box
cold momma

Augusta, MI

#3 Dec 7, 2010
i wouldnt disturb them if they are safe and warm then they have more than this shitty town offers them...i just worry about them...my heart goes out to them.
cold momma

Augusta, MI

#5 Dec 8, 2010
it would be horrible to be homeless ...my heart goes out to all the folk that doesnt have a warm bed to lay down in...
Concerned Citizen

Athens, TN

#6 Dec 8, 2010
Well it is just like McMinn County and the City not to offer any kind of help in this weather. The largest church in town is tearing down house's for parking, why not use one for a homeless shelter, give the people a 7 day time limit to find something. Do there job go into the Hedges and byways.
Gods bondservant

United States

#7 Dec 11, 2010
There is a ministry named Grace & Mercy Ministries that helps to feed the homeless in McMinn County & they are also providing blankets and toiletries. They are in the process of trying to obtain a building. This is VERY expensive to upkeep. Please join us in praying for others to do whatever they can to help.
Gods bondservant

United States

#8 Dec 11, 2010
Grace and Mercy Ministries is now providing food,blankets, and toiletries to the homeless. They are trying to obtain a building however the cost of running such a place is very expensive. With God all things are possible please join us in prayer that this crucial need be met.
Athens Family

Oak Ridge, TN

#10 Dec 13, 2010
i want to know who can help with this problem. who do you speak with about a half way house or a homeless shelter to be starting in Athens. We have an animal shelter but can not help house athens citizens down on there luck. I am one person but i an willing to help. I know there is a lot of people here in athens that feel the same way.
And you are right we have alot of empty building and houses the city or county may own that could be used. We need a starting point! Someone advise.
Maybe contact the paper,the mayor, or who?
Athens Family

Oak Ridge, TN

#12 Dec 14, 2010
okokok wrote:
<quoted text>
The animal shelter is horribly underfunded overpopulated and has to kill thousands of animals a year, so don't start with that crap.
I was saying we have an animal shelter but no place for homeless humans ( women, children ,and men) to lay there heads when it cold or there down on there luck.
I love animals i have volunteered at the animal shelter for over a year. Im not comparing, im just saying if we can has such compassion for animals we should be more concerned about human beings.Knowledge is power and i want to know what we can do as a community to help!Also i know that our animal shelter attempts to place animals with foster familys,other City and County shelters before they uthanize them. This Forum is about how do we help the homeless....

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#15 Jan 26, 2011
Athens Family wrote:
i want to know who can help with this problem. who do you speak with about a half way house or a homeless shelter to be starting in Athens. We have an animal shelter but can not help house athens citizens down on there luck. I am one person but i an willing to help. I know there is a lot of people here in athens that feel the same way.
And you are right we have alot of empty building and houses the city or county may own that could be used. We need a starting point! Someone advise.
Maybe contact the paper,the mayor, or who?
Someone is trying to raise the money to buy the Motel 6 behind Burger king and turn it into a homeless shelter and shelter for abused women http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/...

click the link where it says "this motel".

They also posted it here: http://www.congressunderfire.com/dc/dcboard.p...

Location hidden

#16 Jan 26, 2011
Gods bondservant wrote:
There is a ministry named Grace & Mercy Ministries that helps to feed the homeless in McMinn County & they are also providing blankets and toiletries. They are in the process of trying to obtain a building. This is VERY expensive to upkeep. Please join us in praying for others to do whatever they can to help.
Can you tell me more about Grace & Mercy Ministries please? I had read about them in a small article in the Athens paper but couldn't find it again. I would volunteer some time and donate some clothes and other items. I have some winter jackets and some mens & womens clothes, too.

Thanks in advance for any info you have. A contact number for them would be really great
weirdoo

Athens, TN

#18 Jan 29, 2011
That motel WOULD be a great place for a homeless shelter,but the person who issued that so called "challenge" is off their rocker.... lol

Location hidden

#19 Jan 30, 2011
weirdoo wrote:
That motel WOULD be a great place for a homeless shelter,but the person who issued that so called "challenge" is off their rocker.... lol
Why are they "off their rocker"? It sounds like a good way to raise some money for a few good causes. I would pay to see Glenn Beckerhead or Rush Limbaugh get knocked around some..
weirdoo

Athens, TN

#20 Jan 31, 2011
First off its never going to happen for various reasons...and arent liberals supposedly for non violence? I mean I know liberals are always saying conservatives are hate mongering and ect but doesnt this prove just the opposite in this case?
I don't want to see anyone get knocked around liberal or conservative. Besides do you really think Glen Beck or Rush would lower themselves to that form of a spectacle? Not in a million years..... Still it is a good idea for a homeless shelter but can't we do something to help the homeless without making a violent statement or making it political? I think that is what is destroying us as a people. We need to work together for the good of others without getting bogged down in left and right wing politics. The people in this county are homeless and hungry lets help them and leave the politics to talk radio and politicians please......

Location hidden

#21 Feb 1, 2011
weirdoo wrote:
First off its never going to happen for various reasons...and arent liberals supposedly for non violence? I mean I know liberals are always saying conservatives are hate mongering and ect but doesnt this prove just the opposite in this case?
I don't want to see anyone get knocked around liberal or conservative. Besides do you really think Glen Beck or Rush would lower themselves to that form of a spectacle? Not in a million years..... Still it is a good idea for a homeless shelter but can't we do something to help the homeless without making a violent statement or making it political? I think that is what is destroying us as a people. We need to work together for the good of others without getting bogged down in left and right wing politics. The people in this county are homeless and hungry lets help them and leave the politics to talk radio and politicians please......
See, you just have a bad, stereotype image of Liberals. We aren't all tree-hugging, latte sipping pacifists. I own guns, I hunt, and I support the death penalty.

As for the violence, I guess you haven't heard the violent rhetoric out of these two? Glenn Beck with his "shoot them in the head" comments, and Rash, er, I mean Rush Limbaugh with his "don't kill all the Liberals, keep a few of them for a museum"?

Don't take me wrong, I'm a peace-loving creature by nature, but I cannot stand loudmouths who can't, or won't, back up their words.

If you haven't guessed it by now, yes, I'm the one who posted the challenge.:-)

So, what can we do about acquiring this building and making it a shelter for the homeless, abused women and/or victims of elderly abuse? We could also help the Meigs and McMinn County DFACS offices, as well as the Red Cross, in providing temporary emergency shelter for people who need it because their house burned down or any other reason. How could we raise the money? Are you willing to help with the effort?
a long lonely road

Englewood, TN

#22 Feb 2, 2011
I for one would love to c summin to this nature happen.!! I was homeless the whole month of november an no where I went could help me without havin a job. I couldn't even get pointed in the right direction. Sumtimes it isn't the person fault this kind of stuff happens. For me it started out w a break up between me an my bf of 7 years. Then bc of my emotional/mental state from the break up I was let go from my job being told if I couldn't find anything n 6 months I could come bak... Only after I lost everything I had... I did manage to make it 3 months after I was let go til I lost my house. Monroe county an mcminn county an prolly several surroundin counties need to offer better services to the homeless people tho. I myself would have no clue where to start but this is summin I def support! All the government supported agencies require you to have a job before they help you any... Which is understandable but would b nice to come w a program or help findin a job to get started in the right direction if nothing else ya kno... God Bless everyone an hopefully one day we can fight this homeless issue.

Location hidden

#23 Feb 2, 2011
a long lonely road wrote:
I for one would love to c summin to this nature happen.!! I was homeless the whole month of november an no where I went could help me without havin a job. I couldn't even get pointed in the right direction. Sumtimes it isn't the person fault this kind of stuff happens. For me it started out w a break up between me an my bf of 7 years. Then bc of my emotional/mental state from the break up I was let go from my job being told if I couldn't find anything n 6 months I could come bak... Only after I lost everything I had... I did manage to make it 3 months after I was let go til I lost my house. Monroe county an mcminn county an prolly several surroundin counties need to offer better services to the homeless people tho. I myself would have no clue where to start but this is summin I def support! All the government supported agencies require you to have a job before they help you any... Which is understandable but would b nice to come w a program or help findin a job to get started in the right direction if nothing else ya kno... God Bless everyone an hopefully one day we can fight this homeless issue.
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope you are doing much better now. If you still need some help, sign up for an account here and you can email me through this system. Once you do that, I will give you my email addy and a phone number. I have taken people into my home many times over the past 5 years, trying to help them out and get back on their feet. I don't have anything big and fancy, but we always find room, even if it's on the couch. I have never charged anyone a dime for rent, all I ask is that they help out around the house some, help keep it clean.

If you are in Monroe County, especially in Sweetwater, there is the Catholic Charity over where the Sav-a-lot or UGO used to be. They help people out with food and clothing, and have been known to put people up in one of the area motels for up to a week or two.

It's a crying shame that we have homeless and hungry people on the streets of the greatest Nation in the world. We spend billions of dollars in aid to other countries, yet we can't even take care of our own? Something is very wrong with this picture.

Peace,
Old Liberal Hippie
weirdoo

Athens, TN

#24 Feb 2, 2011
I actually thought it might be you that posted the challenge OLH and while I don't agree w/ you on the glenn beck thing. I happen to enjoy watching his program and consider myself a conservative I too care about the homeless in our community. I think your idea is a great one but do you have the knowledge to run such a facility would you even know where to start if you had financial backing?
I think we could possibly hold a fund raiser or something of the kind but I would only be willing to help if I had the confidence that you were really ready and organized to take part in such an undertaking. Do you have clear ideas of how things would work or just a general idea?
If you think you would need to gain some more knowledge on the subject you could try cleveland state they have a free small business class but I am not sure if they have anything on non profits.
So do you think you could do it?
a long lonely road

United States

#25 Feb 3, 2011
Old Liberal Hippie wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope you are doing much better now. If you still need some help, sign up for an account here and you can email me through this system. Once you do that, I will give you my email addy and a phone number. I have taken people into my home many times over the past 5 years, trying to help them out and get back on their feet. I don't have anything big and fancy, but we always find room,
even if it's on the couch. I have never charged anyone a dime for rent, all I ask is that they help out around the house some, help keep it clean.
If you are in Monroe County, especially in Sweetwater, there is the Catholic Charity over where the Sav-a-lot or UGO used to be. They help people out with food and clothing, and have
been known to put people up in one of the area motels for up to a week or two.
It's a crying shame that we have homeless and hungry people on the streets of the greatest Nation in the world. We spend billions of dollars in aid to other countries, yet we can't even take care
of our own? Something is very wrong with this picture.
Peace,
Old Liberal Hippie
Ty Liberal Hippie for the offer.! Me an my bf are currently stayin w my mother. Haven't had any luck findin a new job an where I was workin that said after 6 months I could come bak told me they don't need any help. I am residin in monroe county now but was livin in etowah before I became homeless. But the only thing the government funded agenices can help w is food an clothing w no job. An I will check out that place n sweetwater. Jobs have seemed to b the hardest for us to find. But all the info I can get will b really helpful!!! Being 25 an bak at my moms is depressin after being on my own for 7 years. I am determined to fix my situation! Jus gotta keep faith in God an he will lead me in the right direction!

Location hidden

#27 Feb 3, 2011
weirdoo wrote:
I actually thought it might be you that posted the challenge OLH and while I don't agree w/ you on the glenn beck thing. I happen to enjoy watching his program and consider myself a conservative I too care about the homeless in our community. I think your idea is a great one but do you have the knowledge to run such a facility would you even know where to start if you had financial backing?
I think we could possibly hold a fund raiser or something of the kind but I would only be willing to help if I had the confidence that you were really ready and organized to take part in such an undertaking. Do you have clear ideas of how things would work or just a general idea?
If you think you would need to gain some more knowledge on the subject you could try cleveland state they have a free small business class but I am not sure if they have anything on non profits.
So do you think you could do it?
Well, I typed a big long reply to this last night, but it seems to have disappeared so I will keep it short this time lol...

Yes, I have full confidence I could do this. No doubt about it. I don't know about "financial backing", I would prefer the fundraising method with a minimum goal of $3 million dollars. This would allow for the outright purchase of the building and give us operating expenses for a couple of years.

When do we start?
Mary

Athens, TN

#30 Aug 20, 2014
I saw a woman walking yesterday near McDonalds with no shoes on. The temperature was in the upper 80s so the pavement had to be hot. She had on a long skirt and long sleeve shirt and was carrying 2 or 3 bags which I assumed were her belongings. My friend and I went looking for her with food and a pair of flip-flops. we found her behind Big Lots eating from a can with her fingers. She wouldn't take the things we brought her so we left them. Later we went back to check on her. She was gone an our bag of goodies was gone as well.
I would love to join forces in helping the homeless but some are homeless because they don't want to follow rules.
We have several organizations that offer help but some homeless would rather be homeless and don't want help. They just want to be left alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loud Rumble 11 hr Dowhatty 7
city employees Thu conserned 1
Useless drug heads in Athens. Thu discusted 10
any good cops or are they ad sorry as the drug ... Thu taxpayer 1
pill selling. Thu taxpayer 3
Does anyone know any places that will help with... (Nov '11) Wed Bless yall 43
All men group home in Athens, TN.. Dec 17 Sue 2
Athens Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web