Oconee deputies use stun guns to subdue assault suspect

There are 5 comments on the Athens Banner-Herald story from Sep 16, 2013, titled Oconee deputies use stun guns to subdue assault suspect. In it, Athens Banner-Herald reports that:

Oconee County sheriff's deputies had to use stun guns Saturday night on a man who fired a pistol during a domestic dispute, then challenged responding officers to kill him when he was confronted, authorities said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Athens Banner-Herald.

Concerned neighbors

Athens, GA

#1 Dec 21, 2013
What ever happened with this guy Patrick and this case. It is tough living next to crazy people that want to harm their family and shoot up the neighborhood!
Concerned neighbors

Athens, GA

#2 Dec 21, 2013
Patrick Brian Pensyl of Cobblestone Lane, Bogart, was arrested on a charge of simple assault under the state’s Family Violence Act.

Deputies had responded to the home after a 911 call about 11:10 p.m. came in from Pensyl’s wife that her husband was under the influence of alcohol and had discharged a firearm. When deputies arrived, Pensyl was in the front yard. One deputy pulled a rifle and ordered Pensyl to the ground, but he refused.

The suspect replied,“Kill me. Go ahead. I don’t (expletive) care!
Community Leader

Athens, GA

#3 Dec 21, 2013
Patrick Brian Pensyl of Cobblestone Lane, Bogart GA.

This was just brought to my attention by a neighbor. Why would anyone put their family through something like this? I thought that this guy was a Golf Pro that owned the Golf Etc. on Epps Bridge road. Is this why the store was shut down?

The original article was pretty detailed:
http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2013-09-16...

It appears that he intentionally tried to have Law Enforcement take his life.

What a danger to the community.
Pro Golfer

Athens, GA

#4 Mar 1, 2014
I was just curious as to what happened to Golf Etc. over on Epps Bridge parkway because it went out of business. So, I Googled the owners name Pat Pensyl and the article on Online Athens and these comments came up saying:

"Patrick Brian Pensyl of Cobblestone Lane, Bogart, was arrested on a charge of simple assault under the state’s Family Violence Act."

I remember dealing with this guy while having a set of clubs sized and thinking why does this guy think that he has to act like he is better than everyone else?

After reading the full article I can see that there were some mental issues combined with a big ego.

It is just sad to see someone do this to their family!
Pro Golfer

Athens, GA

#5 Mar 1, 2014
People should have the full story here so that they know who they are dealing with in case they come in contact with Pat Pensyl in the future:

Oconee deputies use stun guns to subdue assault suspect
By Wayne Fordupdated Monday, September 16, 2013 - 11:48pm

Oconee County sheriff’s deputies had to use stun guns Saturday night on a man who fired a pistol during a domestic dispute, then challenged responding officers to kill him when he was confronted, authorities said Monday.

Before the stun guns were used, the 45-year-old man refused to obey orders, then reached behind his back as if a weapon was there, Chief Deputy Lee Weems said.

“I think they [deputies] showed amazing restraint in not firing a lethal round,” Weems said.

Patrick Brian Pensyl of Cobblestone Lane, Bogart, was arrested on a charge of simple assault under the state’s Family Violence Act.
Deputies had responded to the home after a 911 call about 11:10 p.m. came in from Pensyl’s wife that her husband was under the influence of alcohol and had discharged a firearm. When deputies arrived, Pensyl was in the front yard. One deputy pulled a rifle and ordered Pensyl to the ground, but he refused

When Pensyl reached behind his back, the officer warned “that if he didn’t show me his hands he would be killed,” according to a sheriff’s office report.

The suspect replied,“Kill me. Go ahead. I don’t (expletive) care,” according to the report.

The deputy was able to get close to Pensyl and fire his stun gun. One probe hit the suspect’s chest, but the other failed to make contact. However, another deputy successfully fired a stun gun and incapacitated Pensyl.

Deputies said the suspect’s .40-caliber Glock handgun, already unloaded, was found on the porch. The man admitted he fired one round from the gun in the backyard, but never intended to hurt anyone, according to the report.

The use of the stun gun “allowed them to get control of him without using more serious force,” Weems said.

•This story was originally published at: http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2013-09-16...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how can i buy dip underage May 12 dipper_king99 1
how can i dip in class and not get caught May 7 dipper_king99 1
where do i go to get dip an not get carded May 6 redneck life 1
where can i buy dip underage May 6 redneck life 1
Another UGA Student found DEAD...... May 4 News Dawg 1
News Connor Byers - Music's Next Big Thing Apr '15 basketball232323 2
News Huge metal rooster found in forest following Ge... Apr '15 Christaliban 3
More from around the web

Athens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE