UGA dupes students and public in ACS ...

UGA dupes students and public in ACS Relay

Posted in the Athens Forum

WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#1 Apr 10, 2014
Dr. Eric Atkinson
Assistant Vice President for Student Engagement
University of Georgia
Athens,
Georgia
Dear Dr. Atkinson:
http://onlineathens.com/uga/2014-04-09/uga-st...
“The university's administration is equally pleased with the philanthropic efforts and impact of students. Eric Atkinson, assistant vice president for student engagement, said that UGA students are known nationally for their passion for philanthropy.”
"UGA Relay's student leaders and participants exemplify the passion and dedication of UGA's students in giving back," said Atkinson. "Our students are not only the future leaders of our communities, but their current leadership is making a great impact now."
https://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articl...
http://www.wnho.net/acs.pdf
The quotes from the local newspaper at the first link above indicate you support the American Cancer Society so called Relay for Life. I must give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not familiar with what a corrupt and hypocritical organization the American Cancer Society has been documented to be. If you care to learn about what a reprehensible organization it is, you can read the third link above by Samuel S. Epstein, M.D., a distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of Illinois, Chicago, who has published about a dozen books and about 300 scientific papers and won numerous awards for public commitment to public health.
The above article is an updated version of one he published in 1999:“American Cancer Society America’s ‘Wealthiest Non-Profit’ Institution, International Journal Of Health Services, 1999, also available at his website www.preventcancer.com .
There is no shortage of money by the ACS. Its Chief Executive Officer one John Seffrin, Ed.D. has become a millionaire running it for over 20 years. The second link above shows he made almost $1 million last year and the ACS took in about $1 billion. And as Dr. Epstein documented, they have a long history of hoarding cash while lamenting they need more money from a gullible and unwitting duped public.
The University of Georgia is patently violating the rules of academic freedom and betraying its students by permitting this corrupt, scandalous organization to fleece money out of unwitting students and cancer survivors on a public so called “university campus”. While this organization purports to have the goal of preventing and curing cancer, behind the scenes their actions, which speak louder than words, are exactly the opposite as the above article clearly demonstrates.
At minimum, all participants in the Relay for Life must be provided copies of the above article and required to read it as a condition for use of public facilities for this money scam of the public. At most, this organization should be banned from any fund raising activities on this public campus.
I made these points about 14 years ago to administrators here but obviously all they care about is fooling a gullible and unwitting students and unfortunate cancer victims and the public, by permitting this criminal organization to fleece and indoctrinate and fool them with lies and propaganda, aided and abetted by many administrators who act more like the three fools, no hear, no see, no speak, than highly educated people with Ph.D. degrees.
If you are not familiar with the facts about this sordid organization, which should be shut down by the U.S. Attorney, I can forgive you Dr. Atkinson. But if you remain silent after you study this subject, you will have betrayed the University of Georgia which employs you, and every student and taxpayer of this State.
The above reference by professor Epstein, M..D. is not the only one critical of the American Cancer Society. On the jacket of the book “The Cancer Industry” by Ralph W. Moss, 1989, the late Linus Pauling, Ph.D.(1901-1994),
Continued below:
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#2 Apr 10, 2014
Continued from above:

the only person in the world who has been awarded two solo Nobel Prizes, 1954 Chemistry, and 1962 Peace, made this statement:

“The revelations in this book about the ways in which the American People have been betrayed by the cancer establishment, the medical profession, and the government are shocking. Everyone should know that the ‘war on cancer’ is largely a fraud, and that the National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society are derelict in their duties to the people who support them.”

This book by Dr. Moss has about 500 pages and 500 references. Dr. Moss has a Ph.D. degree in Classics from Stanford University in California and was fired from the position of Assistant Director of Public Affairs at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York in the 1970’s for refusing to lie to the public about benefits of Laetrile from Research by a distinguished scientist there. Dr. Moss is a world authority on cancer today. I even gave a copy of this book to former UGA President Adams who never even acknowledged it.

Dr. Atkinson, you and every other administrator at UGA has a moral and ethical duty to inform students at the University of Georgia when you have knowledge of possible corruption in this organization even if you may not agree with that conclusion. The students must be permitted to make their own decision in the matter and not have it made for them by the administration while keeping the details secret as former administrations have been doing now for about 14 years and much longer.

By the way, in about 2001 Dr. Seffrin gave a talk at UGA and was even given an award. I was present at his talk as was a reporter for the local newspaper. I asked Seffrin about the criticisms of Epstein of the ACS. First he made ad hominem attacks on Epstein. Then he said he would talk to me after the talk.

He walked right by me after the talk. His assistant said they would send information disputing what Epstein said about the ACS. I gave him my address. I have never received anything from these corrupt liars Dr. Atkinson. You have a fundamental duty to provide all this sordid information to unwitting students and duped cancer survivors and members of the public. The ACS should be banned from any more scam fund raising activities on campus.

Yours sincerely,

Winfield J. Abbe

A.B., Physics, UC Berkeley, 1961

M.S., Physics, California State University at Los Angeles, 1962

Ph.D., Physics, UC Riverside, 1966

Institute of Science and Technology Fellow, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1966-1967

Former faculty member at UGA Physics Department with lifetime tenure 1966-1978, voluntarily resigned.

Citizen of Athens, Georgia for about 48 years.

Thank you owners of TOPIX wherever and whoever you are for providing the only true means to rebut powerful public relations propaganda operations of UGA paid for by taxpayers, operating in patent violation of the rules of academic freedom which demand students at American Public Universities not be indoctrinated with brainwashing and propaganda lies like those of the corrupt American Cancer Society which should be shut down by the U.S. Attorney. This individual and the writer of the propaganda article on the Relay for Life are both UGA graduates.
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#3 Apr 10, 2014
Stan Jackson

Director of Student Affairs Communications & Marketing Initiatives

Dear Mr. Jackson:

Regarding your propaganda piece today about the American Cancer Society Relay for Life, as an employee influencing

young students and the public through your articles, you have a responsibility to present both sides of issues, not just one side of powerful

organizations like the ACS. Please read articles critical of the ACS such as this one

http://www.wnho.net/acs.pdf and others here www.preventcancer.com by professor Samuel S. Epstein, M.D.

There are also other articles in books like "The Cancer Industry" by Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D, 1996, 1989 and The Cancer Syndrome,

1980, and many more. This book has about 500 pages and 500 references.

The rules for academic freedom clearly state it is the responsibility of every adminstator in a college or university to distinguish

brainwashing, indoctrination and propaganda from knowledge, truth and understanding and encourage decision making from evidence and facts, not

propaganda and arbitrary whims.

You have a basic responsibility to acknowledge contrary information about the corrupt ACS next time you write an article about it. In

fact, you should ammend the current article to call the above contrary views about this sordid organization, to the attention of duped

students, cancer survivors and unwitting members of the public. You have a responsibility to do this regardless of your personal

feelings or concerns about offending all the duped persons around here who blindly believe the many lies of the ACS over the years.

Ignorance is bliss Mr. Jackson. But just remember this, about one person dies every minute either from cancer, treatment or both,

usually treatment but falsely reported as from cancer. Next time you or your loved ones may be the next victims.

By the way, there is no shortage of money in the ACS; last year its CEO made nearly $1 million and they took in about $ 1 billion as

documented here:

https://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articl...

Is UGA a true university where students develop the skills to critically analyze claims and information from powerful money scams like

the ACS or is it little more than an institution of brainwashing and indoctrination in the image of Joseph Gobbels? Please do some

reading yourself Mr. Jackson so you can do a better job for unwitting students and unwitting duped members of

the public you serve.

Yours sincerely,\

Winfield J. Abbe

A.B., Physics, UC Berkeley, 1961

M.S., Physics, California State University at Los Angeles, 1962

Ph.D., Physics, UC Riverside, 1966

Institute of Science and Technology Fellow University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1966-1967

Former UGA faculty member with lifetime tenure 1966-1978; voluntarily resigned 1978.

Citizen of Athens about 48 years.
Thank you owners of TOPIX for providing this forum for ordinary citizens to speak against powerful institutions like UGA which improperly use public tax money to fool their own students, cancer survivors and duped members of the public by permitting corrupt organizations like the American Cancer Society to scam money from all of the above on public property. If I wanted to place an ad next to one on a billboard for the ACS,I would have to buy the billboard company. If I wanted to place an ad next to a radio advertisement for the corrupt American Cancer Society I would have to buy the radio station. You get the picture. UGA patently violates the rules it purports to voluntarily comply with and brainwash students rather than providing them the tools to critically think and analyze for themselves. Even ignorant adminstrators at UGA won't or can't read even though they have a Ph.D. degree! Shameful isn't it? Even former so called Dr. Adams was not interested in any facts about the corrupt ACS; all he wanted to do was brainwash duped students.
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#4 Apr 10, 2014
About 34 years ago a former University of Georgia professor of Education by the name of James A. Dinnan, who died about two years ago, was forced to pay a $3,000 fine and spend 90 days in jail because he refused to disclose his secret vote in the case of professor Blaubergs who sued the university for sexual harassment.
Professor Dinnan made the hollow claim that he was entitled under the rules of academic freedom to keep his vote secret. However the appeals court disagreed with him and the Supreme Court refused to hear the case.
The Appeals Court judges stated clearly and correctly that professor Dinnan could not hide behind the veil of "academic freedom" to avoid responsibility for his secret vote on another junior assistant professor.
The academy talks a lot of hot air about academic freedom and secrecy, but when they misbehave in secret, as they routinely do every day, they lament the intervention of courts in the process.
The point is without intervention by courts, there is no, zero, means to verify that the often corrupt members of the academy, especially at places like UGA are not violating the rules behind closed doors. These scoundrels have a long sordid history of lying and abuse of others. There is no such thing a due process without confronting one's accuser. If a professor at UGA has a white hood over his or her head, he or she cannot be identified can they? They might as well wear a white hood over their head to class if they are going to vote in secret to destroy the career of someone just because they don't like the way the part their hair or some other arbitrary and capricious reason, or because they do not like the race of the individual or the religion of the individual or because they do not like the political views of the individual or any other outrageous nonsensical "reason". This is why courts and hopefully tough judges like the late Wilbur D. Owens Jr. will force these inconsistent hypocrite so called "professors" to sit in a jail cell until they tell the truth and justify their position on junior faculty properly; or if not just let them rot in jail where many of them belong.
Administrators of UGA should be in jail for allowing students, cancer victims and duped public be fleeced out of money by the American Cancer Society without even notifying participants of the Relay for Life of the many sordid secret activities by the ACS against their own mission statement. This organization should be banned by the Georgia Legislature from any money raising activities on public property but our lawmakers are too busy approving more public money for these intellectual cesspools like UGA who willfully and deliberately fool a gullible and unwitting public about the corrupt American Cancer Society which raised one billion dollars last year and paid its CEO about
one million dollars. Obviously there is no shortage of money at the ACS where volunteers do most of the work while those at the top rip the organization of with soft jobsf. This shameful conduct by UGA adminstrators desperately demands attention and and political intervention from the gutless and cowardly legislature which looks the other way.
And what about the local elected district attorney Ken Moldon? Why doesn't he press fraud charges against the ACS for defrauding cancer victims, students and members of the public on the public UGA property? Don't hold your breath until he does. Why he won't even lift a finger about the corrupt Jennifer Stone murder case now some 22 years the 23rd day of April, 2014. He operates in secret also and loves it. It is easy to dupe and fool stupid citizens and taxpayers when you operate in secrecy just like former Nazi, Germany. In fact, about all we learned form them is how to copy them. Americans are going down fast no?
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#5 Apr 10, 2014
Michael Terns

American Cancer Society Scholar
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Genetics March 28, 2014

Distinguished Research Professor Michael Terms

University of Georgia

Athens, Ga 30607

Dear Professor Terns:

Since you are or have been an "American Cancer Society Scholar", I would like to call your attention to a paper which might

be of interest to you: "American Cancer Society America's Wealthiest 'Non-Profit' Institution" by Samuel S. Epstein, M.D., International Journal of Health Services,1999, available at www.preventcancer.com .

This paper documents unethical, improper and possibly illegal activity of the American Cancer Society over a long period of time.

I once asked the CEO of the American Cancer Society, one John Seffrin, Ed.D., who was at UGa to give a speech and receive an award, about the claims made in this article. He did not adequately respond. His assistant promised they would send me information, but none was ever forthcoming.

I requested UGA officials to provide copies of the above paper to every participant of the Relay for Life on campus as a condition for participation in the event, but was refused without comment. I even requested the Governor of Georgia overrule them; he refused.

The local newspaper once held me to a strict 500 word limit criticizing the American Cancer Society while they, over a period of months,

published about 11,000 words and 3 picture pages promoting it. When Professor Epstein sent them a letter refuting most of what Dr. Seffrin said about cancer in his lecture, the local newspaper refused to publish it but never informed their readers of their action. By the way, Professor Epstein is a distinguished professor (now emeritus) from the University of Illinois, Chicago who has published about 300 scientific articles and a dozen books. He won the Project Censored award for the above paper about the corrupt ACS.

I challenged the editors of the local newspaper if they could prove everything Dr. Epstein said about the American Cancer Society in the above article was wrong, I would donate $10,000 to the Relay for Life that year. The Executive Editor, Mr.Bentley, declined my challenge without notifying the readers of the existence of my challenge or their refusal of it. Later Mr. Bentley took a job with UGA.

I documented most of this in a book "An Unsuccessful Effort to Deny Use of State of Georgia Facilities for Fund Raising by the American Cancer Society" by Winfield J. Abbe, Ph.D., May, 2000.

The American Cancer Society is a corrupt cesspool. It is responsible for untold human suffering. They blacklist virtually all alternative cancer treatments and obstruct testing of them. They promote cancer causing mammograms promoting the billion dollar mammography industry in the face of warnings as far back as 1928 that pressing on soft breast tissue could spread cancer cells around and in the face of much safer and less expensive and better alternatives as Professor Epstein himself has demonstrated in other articles. They promote dangerous, toxic drugs which are mostly worthless anyway and were never properly tested as they hypocritically demand of all alternative treatments, none of which have been approved.

All approved treatments, promoted by the American Cancer Society are life threatening. About one person dies every minute either from cancer, treatment or both, but falsely reported as from cancer. Conveniently for the doctors making all the money off this massive scam, no autopsy, let alone a true and convincing one at an independent pathology laboratory, is performed to determine the true cause of death of these many thousands of cancer victims of the criminals in the NIH, NCI and FDA and the ACS. The cancer generals and the American Cancer Society are guilty of fraud, scientific misconduct.

Continued below:

WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#8 Apr 11, 2014
Here is the reply from Dr. Atkinson:

Dr. Abbe,

Thank you for the thoughtful and thorough emails you sent my colleague, Stan Jackson, and me last evening. It is the care and engagement of members of the university family, such as yourself, that enable us to continue striving toward student success in academics and co-curricular programs.

Speaking to the concern in your email, we encourage UGA’s students to be actively engaged in the community, here in Athens and elsewhere, and are very proud of our students’ philanthropy and community service. For some of the larger scale efforts, due to the impressive commitment of time and amount of money raised, we’re inclined to share their successes with the community.

With a campus of this size, there are an infinite amount of causes in which students may choose to participate. We respect their judgment and right to choose which activities they’ll donate their time and talent. An essential part of the learning experience is to be responsible for individual choices.

Additionally, UGA Relay for Life is an affiliate of the American Cancer Society. This student organization is registered with the university’s Center for Student Organizations. The group is student-organized,-led,-staffe d and –funded. The leadership and contact information is published online, and I believe they welcome feedback from the community. I invite you to share your concerns directly with them.

Thank you again for the time and attention you’ve given to UGA’s students, both in yesterday’s email and your years of service on faculty. Like you, we are passionate about their academic freedom and the quality of their learning experiences, and we strive to make their time on campus as engaging and successful as possible.

All the best,

Eric

Eric Atkinson, Ph.D.

Assistant Vice President

Division of Student Affairs

University of Georgia

306 Memorial Hall

Athens, GA 30602
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#9 Apr 11, 2014
Part of my reply to Atkinson:

Dear Dr. Atkinson. Your comments are an evasion of your, and every administrator on the UGA campus, basic responsibility to students to communicate knowledge, truth and understanding, not indoctrination,
propaganda and brainwashing. I am no longer a faculty member there. I have no access to students and no authority to address them. You do.
It is clear you have not read the reference I sent to you about the unethical, improper and possibly illegal activities of the American Cancer Society over a long period of time. By failing to provide copies of this document to all participants of the Relay for Life, you have failed in your fundamental duty to students. If you do not believe me, I suggest you read the ethical guidelines for both the AAUP and the AACU on the requirements of academic freedom. It is a very simple act to make copies of the document by Dr. Epstein and simply give a copy to all participants in the Relay for Life and require them to read them as a condition for using public University property for this event which raises money for the already bloated ACS at the expense of unwitting victims. Instead you seek to pass the buck to me. Dr. Epstein M.D. is the expert so it is fitting to allow and require all participants in the Relay for Life to read the comments directly from him rather than filtered through me. This process is called informed consent. Failing informed consent of all participants, the Relay for Life should and must be eliminated on public property of the State. Would you allow a public event on campus for the KKK?
Continued below:
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#10 Apr 11, 2014

I have been through all this some 14 years ago with Dr. Adams. I prepared a document

"An Unsuccessful Effort to Deny Use of State of Georgia Facilities for Fund Raising by the American Cancer Society" by Winfield J. Abbe, Ph.D., May, 2000. It is about 100 pages and a copy is available at the UGA Library and the Athens Public LIbrary. About 200 copes were sent to others world wide.

Here is another paper I prepared on the subject a few years later about 2002: "University Fails to Offer Another Viewpoint":

Dear Editor,

Professor Karen Holbrook, Ph. D. is the newly appointed president of Ohio State University. She is currently provost at the University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia.

Dr. John R. Seffrin, Ed.D. is Chief Executive Officer of the American Cancer Society (ACS).

Professor Samuel S. Epstein, M.D. is a distinguished professor (now emeritus) at the University of Illinois, Chicago, has authored or co-authored about a dozen books and about 300 scientific articles.
Continued below
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#15 Apr 11, 2014
http://s406515300.onlinehome.us/unfailtoofan....
Dr. Atkinson, while motives may be difficult to prove, I believe what is going on here is at bottom very simple.
The American Cancer Society is based in Atlanta. It is a very powerful organization with powerful advertising and propaganda agencies. It provides money for various UGA professors such as Professor Turn and others over the years. Moreover, because of the enormous amount of propaganda and very clever involvement of community volunteers in the billion dollar fund raising efforts of the ACS, almost no one has ever heard of the dark side of this organization. No administrator wants to be the bearer of bad news. This organization is perceived such that criticism of it is like criticizing motherhood and apple pie.
I have written many letters to various professors in the life sciences, including but not limited to those supported by the ACS. None have answered me or replied in any way, shape or form. They evidently do not care about documented improper conduct of this organization, or, more likely, they fear some sort of reprisal should they speak up against the ACS. This highlights the exact problem with funding from any organization; namely it effectively shuts down any criticism of that organization. For example would any UGA faculty member with a government grant criticize the "hand that feeds them"? Obviously not. Hence a very serious conflict of interest is immediately developed when research is funded by any group or individual or organization or even government. This serious conflict therefore taints all funded research. It creates a violation of the true Scientific Method.
The local newspaper has denied the word of Epstein from the moment I brought it to their attention yet they cannot or will not prove a single statement he made is wrong. I doubt if they have read a single word he has written, just as I doubt if any UGA professor or administrator has read a single word he has written. I even gave the local newspaper editors a copy of his 800 page, 1200 reference book once. I once challenged them, if they could prove every statement Dr. Epstein made about the ACS in the 1999 article was wrong, I would donate $10,000 to the Relay for Life that year. They quietly declined my challenge without notifying their readers of the challenge or the fact that they declined it all in patent violation of the rules of journalism taught at UGA.
All they had to do if they lost was to admit it on the front page of a Sunday edition! This tells what kind of a newspaper the ABH is. They permitted me one op ed criticizing the ACS strictly held to 500 words, here http://onlineathens.com/stories/040900/opi_04... , while they published some 12,000 words and over a full page of pictures promoting the ACS.in the period roughly from February to May, 2000. The editor who declined my challenge, Mr. Bentley subsequently went to work for UGA! How about that?

Continued below:
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#16 Apr 11, 2014
Continued from above:
By the way I was even refused permission to place an advertisement in the local newspaper against the American Cancer Society at my personal expense! The so called publisher of the newspaper personally declined my request which was made to the advertising clerk in their fancy multi million dollar building downtown Athens. So much for freedom of speech no? This again illustrates the power of propaganda and the power of this organization.
Dr. Atkinson, I realize you are not the Vice President for Student Affairs, but I doubt if the situation would be different if you were.
Dr. Atkinson, at some point in one's life one must make choices between going along in the wrong directrion with the crowd, or demonstrating the gumption and courage to do the right thing in the face of possible criticism from corrupt superiors who are patently violating the rules or academic freedom and patently violating the fundamental interests of the very students and public you and your employer purport to serve. So long as the good old boy mentality prevails, UGA will never realize its potential. This totally improper attitude of aiding and abetting the fraudulent scam of the ACS, likely because "we don't want to look bad by bringing up criticism of the American Cancer Society which so many cancer survivors and students and ignorant members of the public blindly and foolishly have been brainwashed to be a saint, rather than the villian it truly is and has been documented to be for a very long time."
I challenge you Dr. Atkinson, take a courageous stand for what is right for a change, rather than blindly copying cowards like former UGA president Michael Adams or the former Provost or any of the other gutless ones at UGA who act only to hold this institution back in dark ages which created the already bad reputation it has had to carry on its back for so many decades now. The more institutions of higher learning, as UGA claims to be, fail to voluntarily comply with the dictum of academic freedom and its attendant responsibilities, the closer we become to a forced system from the outside, which put the late professor James Dinnan in jail for three months and fined him $3,000 for his refusal to disclose his secret vote on a promotion committee in 1980 in the case of Maija Blaubergs. The court of appeals sustained the actions Judge Wilbur D. Owens, Jr. and the Supreme Court refused to hear the case. So one cannot use the veil of academic freedom to evade responsibility. In this instance, most of the public is totally unaware that you and the other administrators have not fulfilled your basic responsibility to the students, cancer survivors and the public by providing all participants of the Relay for Life with documents by Samuel S. Epstein,MD documenting the sordid behavior of the ACS over a long periof ot time, and of course your silence is aided and abetted by the prejudiced local newspaper which also prejudicially helps your improper academic conduct.
Secrecy is the enemy of the truth.
But just remember this Dr. Atkinson: About one person dies every minute either from cancer, treatment or both, usually treatment but falsely reported as from cancer. No autopsy, let alone a true and believeable one, is routinely performed on dead cancer victims to prove the cause of death, conveniently for the corrupt medical doctors and others who make so many millions of dollars off this biggest medical scam of our time. Next time you or your loved one may be the next victim because nearly everyone in the country today is touched, in one way or another, by this greatest medical scam of our time.
Yours sincerely,
Winfield J. Abbe, Ph. D., Physics
150 Raintree Ct., Athens, GA 30607
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#17 Apr 11, 2014
The above posts demonstrate that the so called "University of Georgia" is in fact not a true university at all, but rather nothing but a brainwashing, indoctrinating, hypocritical propaganda machine in the image of Joseph Goebbels from Nazi, Germany. The disease of smiling good old boys has infected this sorry excuse of an instution of so called "higher learning". Those who are paid enormous salaries by the taxpayers do not have the intelligence and courage to voluntarily comply with the dictum and rules of academic freedom as set forth in the rules of the AAUP and the AACU which demand students be taught to make decisions based on evidence and facts, not propaganda and indoctrination. But employees like Mr. Atkinson bass the buck and dismally fail to face their own personal responsibility to students because the perceive their ignorant overpaid superiors also do not care about following the rules when no one is looking to enforce them. Students must be taught to learn to analyze problems and situations critically, not blindly accept claims just because they are repeated a thousand or a million times by powerful corrupt organizations like the American Cancer Society which should be shut down by the U.S. Attorneiy but it isn't because he or she is totally corrupt too, and likely graduated from the corrupt UGA Law School.
If the average citizen were aware of the corrupt cesspool which is the University of Georgia in fact, they would demand their legislature shut it down pronto. This is the result of the good old boy disease which has infected virtually every nook and cranny of government in Georgia. Is it any wonder Georgia has a continuing bad name througout the country?
Shameful is far too polite a word to describe this obscenity in a place falsely described as an "institution of higher learning". This description could not be further from the truth.
Winfield J. Abbe, Ph.D., Physics

But just remember this: You can put your head in the sand all day long, but one day you or your loved one may be the next cancer victim of the lying cheating corrupt billion dollar American Cancer Society.
All good students should resign from this sorry institution and move on to a true college or university which voluntarily complies with the rules and responsibilities of true academic freedom. Shame, shame shame ....a thousand times on the totally corrupt adminstration and faculty at UGA. Ignorance is bliss in Georgia. In some ways Georgia has gone down since the four great medical doctors were produced in the nineteenth century; Crawford W. Long, M.D., John LeConte, M.D.,
Joe LeConte, M.D. and William Lorenzo Moss, M.D. These four were the best of the best. If they could see what low level scoundrels are in charge of UGA todaiy, they would fire every one of them. It has been down hill ever since for UGA which worships ignorance rather than enlightenment. Shameful! Lying and deceit are the rule of the day.
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#18 Apr 12, 2014
The so called “University of Georgia” routinely violates the rules when no one is looking. They can’t be trusted to do the right thing by their students unless there is constant supervision by outside police. They are like a cheater on the honor system who routinely plagiarizes or steals answers from the student sitting next to them.
First there was the so called “Jan Kemp” scandal of the 1980’s where an English instructor was pressured to lower academic standards for the professional football player so they would not flunk out. She won about a $1 million judgment against UGA in federal court. UGA refused to voluntarily cooperate with academic freedom for professors. All this was in patent violation of the ethical rules and responsibilities of academic freedom as set forth by the AAUP and AACU.
Next there was the so called “James Dinnan” scandal of 1980, where one professor James A. Dinnan refused to disclose his vote when Maija Blaubergs sued the University for sexual harassment. Judge Wilbur Owens fined Dinnan $3,000 and put him in jail for 90 days. The Court of Appeals sustained the decision of the Judge and the Supreme Court refused to hear the case. The court ruled Dinnan could not avoid responsibility for his secret actions against a junior professor by hiding behind the shroud of academic freedom. Again, another instance where officials at UGA refused to voluntarily cooperate with the ethical rules and responsibilities of academic freedom and do the right and honorable thing without police looking over their shoulder. Again, all this was in patent violation of the rules and ethical responsibilities of academic freedom as set forth by the AAUP and AACU.
In about 1977, some 13 years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and 16 years after the fight to prevent blacks from entering this shameful excuse of a public university in 1961, some members of the physics department, in concert with the late Dean John Stephens and the incompetent and corrupt College Promotion Committee, sought to secretly violate the rights of two junior faculty members, not blacks or whites this time, but of Asian ancestry. Three letters against one of the candidates were secretly brought before the promotion committee without knowledge of most of the tenured faculty of the department in patent violation of the rules and violation of common fairness and decency and conscience.
When the late Dean Stephens refused to change his decision against these two assistant professors, following a rebuttal disputing virtually every line against them in the letters improperly submitted against them in secret, the Dean was charged with racial discrimination. An investigating committee was formed with the late George Adomian, Borrow Professor of Mathematics its Chairman. This committee interviewed every member of the physics department regarding their votes and positions on these candidates, except one who refused to appear before the committee, the late Dewey Cooper who was the department representative on the promotion committee and who unfairly and illegally placed the damaging letters, containing incorrect, misleading and false information and innuendo about the subject , before the promotion committee to kill his promotion.
Here are the conclusions of a draft report which was submitted to the late Fred Davison, president of UGA at the time, of the investigating committee recently made public. Quoted from Chairman Adomian:
“1. The charge of racial discrimination against Dean John C. Stephens is justified.”
“2. Professors Lee and Chou should be promoted.”
“3. If it is possible legally to do so, all promotions within the Physics Department, if not within the Franklin College, should be re-examined. The evidence has cast grave doubt on the procedures. Some 50% more people were promoted than in the previous several years and questions exist on the quality, merit, and policies involved.”
Continued below:

WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#19 Apr 12, 2014
Continued from above:

“4. There has been an appalling insensitivity on the part of the Dean to existing problems within the College even when brought to his specific attention.”
“5. Administrative changes should be made to insure that merit rather than department politics or administrative bias are a basis for promotion.”
The above report is available to the public in the UGA Library.
Therefore UGA was still patently violating the law as far back as 1977 and 1976, not for blacks this time or for whites, but those of Asian ancestry. When no one is looking, UGA professors operate in secret and try to have another colleague fired just because they don’t like the shape of his eyes or the way he parts his hair, or his political views, or the field he is working in or his colleagues, etc., etc., etc., or some other arbitrary and capricious reason, then they hide behind the shroud of academic freedom to seek to cover up their patently illegal and unconscionable actions while presenting an opposite image of themselves to a gullible and unwitting public. There is a word describing this and its called hypocrisy. Is it any wonder UGA has a bad public reputation for over two centuries? Is it any wonder UGA has never had a Nobel Prize winner despite the fact of it being the oldest state chartered university, while Johns Hopkins University, where the great medical doctor from Georgia who independently discovered blood groups, William Lorenzo Moss, M.D., obtained his doctor’s degree, opened some 75 years later, has had 36 Nobel Prize Winners?
UGA was, is and continues to be, nothing but a good old boy, provincial cesspool party school of the South. The hard working taxpayers and good citizens of Georgia deserve more. All this horrible history was in patent violation of the ethical rules and responsibilities of academic freedom as set forth by the AAUP and the AACU. UGA is nothing but a law breaker. Most of the so called professors here are nothing but gutless cowards looking the other way and refusing to speak up to all this dismal failure of a member of the academy.
Stay away from UGA like the plague. Go to a true university which respects the search for knowledge, truth and understanding and does not itself hypocritically violate the very rules and principles it purports to follow, but routinely violates every day.
“Crime is contagious. If the government becomes the law breaker, it breeds contempt for the law” Justice Louis Brandeis
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#20 Apr 13, 2014
The late professor George Strobel contributed to the effort to expose the secret unethical, improper and illegal behavior of some in the physics department. He had published over 100 scientific papers in a variety of subjects. He was a much more versatile scientist than many others who only work in one tiny corner of a field and often view others in their own myopic universe. We once published a paper together on quarks.
George earned his Ph.D. in theoretical nuclear physics at the University of Southern California in 1965. I still remember meeting him for the first time at a meeting in Washington, D.C. about 1967. The prejudiced members of the existing low energy nuclear group at Georgia then opposed him because they perceived he might work independently of them and not cater to their selfish demands to aid them. They opposed him from the outset but the late Don Burkhard, who was the head at the time, and who had been brought in from the University of Colorado in 1965 against the will of the "old guard" hired Strobel also against the will of the old guard. This was a good decision for the department but the old guard fought Don every step of the way. They opposed the promotion of Strobel to associate professor in the 1970's. Fortunately George had other friends and supporters like Bill Sears and Earnest Reunning and others some of whom are still alive. But the prejudice against Strobel persisted all the way to the end of his career as the prejudiced non scholars who were allowed to control the physics department promoted their friends and cronies to the position of full professor while denying that same rank to George Strobel who was at least as qualified or more qualified as others. This unconscionable misconduct of people with high degrees is sympomatic of the former prejudice of other in earlier times with those of different colored skin. All this prejudice, which went unpunished then as later with the improper treatment of George Strobel, went unpunished. They got away with it and no adminstrator had the guts to look into the matter and fire all those involved in this injustice in the corrupt physics department of the University of Georgia, who should never have been appointed in the first place. This is why this place has a bad name. This is among the reasons Georgia is regarded as a provincial place to avoid like the plague. This is among the reasons why UGa has never had a Nobel Prize winner on campus for work done here or elsewhere. This is why, among many other things and documented improper activities over the years, like the Jan Kemp scandal and many others in the book by Rich Whitt in 2009, that UGA is nothing in the scheme of things. It is nothing but dust in the universe. Do not support it. Do not send your kids here. Do what you can to have the corrupt polilticians shut it down. This is what it has earned by its total disregard for the rules and for the most basic integrity of former professors and scholars who sought to make UGA a better place and bring it into the 20th century. Shame, shame, shame on UGa and the worthless good old boys in the Regents and head the regents who maintain this cesspool of lower learning at the expense of the taxpayers of this state and all the United States. UGA should be shut down today.
WinfieldJAbbe

Monroe, GA

#21 Apr 13, 2014
The Regents of the University System of Georgia should unilaterally and without any consultation with the corrupt physics department at UGa, promote posthumously the late professor George Strobel to the rank of full professor of physics.

This should be done because the same group and others, responsible for the unethical, improper and likely illegal secret treatment of Chou and Lee in 1976-1977, with their secret machinations intended to prevent them from being promoted to associate professor, again acted against the late George Strobel, as a reprisal for his efforts in their behalf and for justice for them, to prevent his promotion to the rank of full professor for the remainder of his career. They instead promoted their friends and cronies who were no more qualified and possibly less qualifed than George Strobel. They operate in secret just like Nazi, Germany. Secrecy is enemy of the truth. This is the good old boy system run amok.

But of course we know the Regents won't do anything to correct injustice because most of them should not hold the positions they hold either since they themselves are nothing but appointed good old boys and friends of the governor or former governors, accountable to no one.
The so called Chancellor is the top good old boy with the softest job in Georgia taking in an undeserved roughly half million dollars a year for doing basically nothing but sit on his rear end and think of ways to aid his friends and cronies in Georgia with more undeserved largess.

These people don't care and there is no way to force them to change their ways or be fired. As the late professor Laurence Peter at the University of Southern California observed so many years ago, "Everyone rises to their level of incompetence". Another way to say it is "The scum rises to the top". This is what has happened in Georgia and explains why virtually every government subdivision or public educational subdivision or any other political subdivision in Georgia is a corrupt cesspool. This is the good old boy system in action. In the corrupt state of Georgia no one in any part of government ever admits they made a mistake in judgment. Almost no one gets fired or reprimanded for any wrongdoing in government.
This is why right here in Athens two employees who were caught, not once, but twice, having fun time(you know what that means) in a public office, were not fired as most businesses would have done, but given a slap on the wrist and permitted to keep their lifetime jobs at taxpayer expense all kept hidden and secret from the lowly taxpayers. Shameful obscenity isn't it?
And neither of the two current candidates for Mayor or even Pete McCommons or Blake Aued in Flagpole Magazine would utter a peep about any of this would they? And it is a slam dunk that the Athens Banner Herald would not even print a word of this even if it were brought to their attention by the Good Lord himself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SOUTHEAST AMBULANCE, Inc. Is a dishonest company! Wed Clifford E Tranz 1
News Deal in works for purchase of 19th-century Watk... May 2 NAncy Smith 1
unfair non unified government of athens clarke ... Apr 27 wjabbe 3
Debate: Marijuana - Athens, GA (Aug '10) Apr '16 jj 57
Gary Johnson Apr '16 Defektor 1
Relocating to Athens Mar '16 Oh Chyt 2
32 Henry Ford Hot Rod in Sierra Madre Mar '16 wjabbe 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Athens Mortgages