UGA Legalizes Marijuana - Meeting Cit...

UGA Legalizes Marijuana - Meeting City Hall 4/28

Posted in the Athens Forum

Sharon Fitz

Athens, GA

#1 Apr 27, 2014
A current press release indicates that The University of Georgia is going to legalize marijuana on campus and will not condone the interference of any civic jurisdiction.

In the press release, the Board of Regents indicated that 82.6% of the current student body favored the legalization of marijuana. To suppress the will of the majority was considered counterproductive.

The city of Athens is now considering following the enlightened lead of The Board of Regents and is expected to also legalize marijuana within the city limits.
Philip Dobson

Athens, GA

#2 Apr 27, 2014
I didn't think that UGA could legalize marijuana without approval of The State of Georgia. However, after some research it seems that the University of Georgia was created by an independent land grant that dates 1785. The gist of this document is that UGA is a kingdom unto itself and is not obligated to to be coerced by either state or federal legislation.

Who knew?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Relocating to Athens Nov 19 Cece_Johnson 1
ort is the wrong party in court Nov 11 wjabbe 4
Doppelgangers in America.. Nov 4 Typically Susanna 1
Charlie Hannah Augusta Board of Education Membe... Nov 4 Typically Susanna 2
Bicentennial Celebration of the Birth of Crawfo... Oct 29 wjabbe 2
mayors race in Nicholson Oct '15 just wonder 1
Dopplegangers in Athens Oct '15 Wadi 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Athens Mortgages