Now

Baldwin, GA

#24703 Sep 17, 2013
More ground breaking news from the world of libroid goofballs.........

Check this one out OMTE.

"Climate change said driving force behind larger, more extreme wildfires"

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Climate_cha...
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24704 Sep 17, 2013
So Obama and company don't know how many States there are, or how many counties are in Hawaii; and yet they want folks to believe in their climate change crap papers put out by the White House.

Obama said there was 57 States, and a few more to visit.

Now he says there are 31 Counties in Hawaii, but Hawaii only has 5 counties....

"This is the best justification research they can offer? What the hell are they smoking there in the White House?"

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/06/26/the-whi...

Now

Baldwin, GA

#24705 Sep 17, 2013
Climate Change is no longer based on science, as science is NOT able to prove or disprove anything about the Climate.

Climate change is now a "Faith based New Age Religion."

And we have our number one missionary right here on topix, Oh my.
Oh my's missionary zeal is unequal in the White House, as those folks in that House are wishy washy, whereas Oh my is a dedicated zealot in the faith of climate change.

Even though faced with disreputable evidence, the climate zealots continue to insist someday we are going to have climate change that is going to destroy the world..a bunch of chicken little's.

I agree on the climate change part only, as it has been changing since the world was created, nothing new here.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/06/americ...

Now

Baldwin, GA

#24706 Sep 17, 2013
"Center for American Progress’ Christie Hefner: Climate change a factor in Chicago’s murder rate."

I guess she's mad cause Dad didn't put her pic in his mag....

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/30/center-for-...
Informed Opinion

Fort Myers, FL

#24707 Sep 17, 2013
Oh my wrote:
In which I debunk GOP lies re: health ins. rates skyrocketing under Obama with actual facts and math
TUE SEP 17, 2013
by Eclectablog
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/17/1239...

...During President Bush's eight years in office, annual premiums for a family increased from $7,061 to $13,375, an increase of $6,314 or, on average $789.25 per year. Adjusted for inflation, costs went from $9,313.50 to $14,653.21 or $667.46 per year.

When President Obama took office in 2009, annual premiums for a family were $13,375 and four years later have risen to $16,351 for an average of $744 per year. Adjusting for inflation, costs started at $14,653.21 for an average increase of only $424.45 per year.

No matter how you look at it, the rate of health care cost increases has reversed under President Obama.

It's worth noting a couple of other things, as well. First of all, the Affordable Care Act wasn't even passed until 2010, a quarter of the way through his first term. Also, many of the cost-saving elements of the Affordable Care Act, including the health care exchanges, haven't even started yet! The state health care exchanges that have already released costs are showing considerably lower premiums than were anticipated.

But there's actually more to the story of what has happened to health insurance costs since President Obama took office. According to a recently released report from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, consumers have already saved $1.7 billion in 2012 alone, thanks to the Affordable Care Act:

...the fact that insurance companies now have to justify double digit percentage increases in their premiums and the HHS is not having it in many cases. Additionally, they must spend no less than 80% of the premiums they receive (85% on for large group insurers) on actual medical care or they must refund the difference to their customers. This has resulted in significant numbers of Americans actually getting checks from their health insurance company...

Just wait until the health insurance exchanges start up next month. Suddenly, insurance companies will have to compete on a much more level playing field. When you can compare rates easily on a Travelocity-style website, the overly expensive companies are going to lose out to those offering their customers a good value.

An anecdote:

Was in line at a local deli last week and the counter person (young female in her 20s) was explaining to another customer that she needs health insurance. I could tell by the conversation that she didn't know anything about the ACA. My turn in line so I asked her if she could wait until 10/1 to purchase insurance. "Yes, why?"

Explained the health exchange to be set up, options available to her, subsidy available to her, no pre-existing condition worry, etc. She was incredulous! Later, I returned with a print out explaining more about the exchanges.

The navigators will be busy.
Damn you and your pesky facts.

Right Wingers have their view of the world - and they don't want to be bothered with those pesky facts.
Informed Opinion

Fort Myers, FL

#24708 Sep 17, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have the right to comment. YOU think YOU are ENTITLED to EXEMPTION. Yeah, Obama is handing it to you....IN YOUR FACE. rotfl
Now, now-

You freeloading deadbeat Right Wingers may be able to keep your lips latched onto the government teat for years to come.

Whatever you do.. Keep whining like little girls when asked to pay taxes for those fun wars you all love to start, after all, a day when we don't bomb someone, somewhere, for something, is a day wasted.

And don't forget to keep supporting those draft-dodging cowardly war mongers, and avoiding service yourself.

Hey.. Keep that up and you could be a Right Wing Wacko president !
small business

Dahlonega, GA

#24709 Sep 17, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know very well what the original poster meant by "mom and pop" - must you be so consistently contrarian?
And regarding the link you referred to - you don't see the problem with the very government agencies in charge of enforcing the regulations are not conforming with THEIR own rules. I guess you don't see the irony there. If you're so concerned about "any Joe" you must not have finished reading the very article you reference:
" The Environmental Protection Agency’s Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) rule:
EPA failed to convene a small business review panel when it first moved to amend the rule in 2008. The final rule, which went into effect in 2010, constrained small businesses in the home building and remodeling industry. It requires renovation work that disturbs more than six square feet in a home built before 1978 to follow new lead-safe work practices supervised by an EPA-certified renovator and performed by an EPA-certified renovation firm.
This has resulted in excessive compliance costs that ultimately get passed on to consumers. AN UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE OF THIS RULE IS THAT IT ENCOURAGES HOME OWNERS TO HIRE UNCERTIFIED CONTRACTORS TO DO THE WORK, or worse, do the work themselves and actually increase the likelihood of disturbing lead-based paint. POOR DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION by EPA has jeopardized safety, needlessly raised costs for remodelers and consumers, and hindered both job growth and energy efficiency upgrades."
Thanks for taking the bull by the horns. I'm notsure which incarnation, be it oh my, io or jeb you're answering, but I know for a fact that you are 100% correct in this example. Just looking at the incarnations stupid question/comment it's obvious it has no idea what it's talking about. Kinda like crazy joe biden, mr. foot in mouth himself.
The lead thing comes with a bit more than you described. Not only does the contractor, who must personally be present on the job in it's entirety, have to spend time and money getting "certified", said contractor must then register with the government for a fee, and maintain said registration on the outside chance that the contractor might have to cut a hole in a floor or house built before 1978.
The contractor must also know the ages and child bearing potential of the occupants.
To answer the question, what is a mom and pop? That answer changes depending on the mood of the government and the special treatment some will get. It used to mean less than 250 employees. Then it went to less than 50 employees, unless you are in the construction industry, where the obamacare bureaucrats tried to reduce that to 5 employees at the insistence of the unions. Now they want to redefine it again to gross payroll of $250,000.00. I areas where skilled blue collar or white collar folks are employed, it goes well over this in a small company.
The problems are many. Government continually changes the rules so uncertainty becomes an unnecessary part of every decision a small business person has to make. Gross sales have never been part of the consideration when defining small businesses to my knowledge.
Please pardon my absence from the debate. I'm busy trying to make sure my employees will have something to do next week and that I will have enough cash to make payroll.
Stressful sometimes, but I am blessed and I know it.
Informed Opinion

Fort Myers, FL

#24710 Sep 17, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>Probably not, but he is a consistent a**hole when confronted with facts.
No. I have to be precise.

Every watch all those "Family Farms" where Dad drives a beat up pick-up truck to that pretty red barn where the son stands staring into the distant sky - waiting to pull a meager living from that unyielding land.

Yep.. They deserve government subsidies to protect the family farm and a break in inheritance taxes so the family farm can be passed down to future generations.

In reality, that's ADM making billions a year in profits, millionaires subsidized by working men, the continued accumulation of wealth in the hands of the very few as a result of estate tax exemption of over $5,250,000.00
small business

Dahlonega, GA

#24711 Sep 17, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now-
You freeloading deadbeat Right Wingers may be able to keep your lips latched onto the government teat for years to come.
Whatever you do.. Keep whining like little girls when asked to pay taxes for those fun wars you all love to start, after all, a day when we don't bomb someone, somewhere, for something, is a day wasted.
And don't forget to keep supporting those draft-dodging cowardly war mongers, and avoiding service yourself.
Hey.. Keep that up and you could be a Right Wing Wacko president !
just curious. How much does topix pay you to make stupid comments in order to keep the click count high?
small business

Dahlonega, GA

#24712 Sep 17, 2013
Oh my wrote:
Post away,
How Now Brown Cow,
When, Where, What, and Why.
Not one bit of your nonsense matters,
Everyone knows you're a Liar.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warmin...
Science achieves a consensus when scientists stop arguing. When a question is first asked – like ‘what would happen if we put a load more CO2 in the atmosphere?’– there may be many hypotheses about cause and effect. Over a period of time, each idea is tested and retested – the processes of the scientific method – because all scientists know that reputation and kudos go to those who find the right answer (and everyone else becomes an irrelevant footnote in the history of science). Nearly all hypotheses will fall by the wayside during this testing period, because only one is going to answer the question properly, without leaving all kinds of odd dangling bits that don’t quite add up. Bad theories are usually rather untidy.
But the testing period must come to an end. Gradually, the focus of investigation narrows down to those avenues that continue to make sense, that still add up, and quite often a good theory will reveal additional answers, or make powerful predictions, that add substance to the theory.
So a consensus in science is different from a political one. There is no vote. Scientists just give up arguing because the sheer weight of consistent evidence is too compelling, the tide too strong to swim against any longer. Scientists change their minds on the basis of the evidence, and a consensus emerges over time. Not only do scientists stop arguing, they also start relying on each other's work. All science depends on that which precedes it, and when one scientist builds on the work of another, he acknowledges the work of others through citations. The work that forms the foundation of climate change science is cited with great frequency by many other scientists, demonstrating that the theory is widely accepted - and relied upon.
In the scientific field of climate studies – which is informed by many different disciplines – the consensus is demonstrated by the number of scientists who have stopped arguing about what is causing climate change – and that’s nearly all of them. A survey of 928 peer-reviewed abstracts on the subject 'global climate change' published between 1993 and 2003 shows that not a single paper rejected the consensus position that global warming is man caused (Oreskes 2004).
A follow-up study by the Skeptical Science team of over 12,000 peer-reviewed abstracts on the subjects of 'global warming' and 'global climate change' published between 1991 and 2011 found that of the papers taking a position on the cause of global warming, over 97% agreed that humans are causing it (Cook 2013). The scientific authors of the papers were also contacted and asked to rate their own papers, and again over 97% whose papers took a position on the cause said humans are causing global warming.
And for the right amount of grant money the "scientific community" will come up with whatever the grantor would like to see.
small business

Dahlonega, GA

#24713 Sep 17, 2013
Now wrote:
Climate Change is no longer based on science, as science is NOT able to prove or disprove anything about the Climate.
Climate change is now a "Faith based New Age Religion."
And we have our number one missionary right here on topix, Oh my.
Oh my's missionary zeal is unequal in the White House, as those folks in that House are wishy washy, whereas Oh my is a dedicated zealot in the faith of climate change.
Even though faced with disreputable evidence, the climate zealots continue to insist someday we are going to have climate change that is going to destroy the world..a bunch of chicken little's.
I agree on the climate change part only, as it has been changing since the world was created, nothing new here.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/06/americ...
Thank-you.
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24715 Sep 17, 2013
small business wrote:
<quoted text>And for the right amount of grant money the "scientific community" will come up with whatever the grantor would like to see.

Exactly; most scientist live off gubmint funding. They will pervert the facts, the findings, and any other data to continue their grants.
Simple economics for them.

And boys like Gore play off this to keep their millions rolling in.
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24716 Sep 17, 2013
small business wrote:
<quoted text>Thank-you.

u r welcome.
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24717 Sep 17, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I have to be precise.
Every watch all those "Family Farms" where Dad drives a beat up pick-up truck to that pretty red barn where the son stands staring into the distant sky - waiting to pull a meager living from that unyielding land.
Yep.. They deserve government subsidies to protect the family farm and a break in inheritance taxes so the family farm can be passed down to future generations.
In reality, that's ADM making billions a year in profits, millionaires subsidized by working men, the continued accumulation of wealth in the hands of the very few as a result of estate tax exemption of over $5,250,000.00

I wasn't referring to you dummy.
BTW - you've never been precise.
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24718 Sep 17, 2013
So much for a liberal believing in gun control...

"FRIEND: Navy Yard Shooter Liberal, Supported Obama"

I'm waiting to hear Obama say "if I had a son, he would be like Aaron Alexis."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/...
Informed Opinion

Fort Myers, FL

#24719 Sep 17, 2013
small business wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for taking the bull by the horns. I'm notsure which incarnation, be it oh my, io or jeb you're answering, but I know for a fact that you are 100% correct in this example. Just looking at the incarnations stupid question/comment it's obvious it has no idea what it's talking about. Kinda like crazy joe biden, mr. foot in mouth himself.
The lead thing comes with a bit more than you described. Not only does the contractor, who must personally be present on the job in it's entirety, have to spend time and money getting "certified", said contractor must then register with the government for a fee, and maintain said registration on the outside chance that the contractor might have to cut a hole in a floor or house built before 1978.
The contractor must also know the ages and child bearing potential of the occupants.
To answer the question, what is a mom and pop? That answer changes depending on the mood of the government and the special treatment some will get. It used to mean less than 250 employees. Then it went to less than 50 employees, unless you are in the construction industry, where the obamacare bureaucrats tried to reduce that to 5 employees at the insistence of the unions. Now they want to redefine it again to gross payroll of $250,000.00. I areas where skilled blue collar or white collar folks are employed, it goes well over this in a small company.
The problems are many. Government continually changes the rules so uncertainty becomes an unnecessary part of every decision a small business person has to make. Gross sales have never been part of the consideration when defining small businesses to my knowledge.
Please pardon my absence from the debate. I'm busy trying to make sure my employees will have something to do next week and that I will have enough cash to make payroll.
Stressful sometimes, but I am blessed and I know it.
You do understand you defeat your own argument ?

You start out explaining how wrong those of us are who point out that generalized, vague, imprecise terms are an anathema to logical discourse;
then you devote 90% of your post to describing how difficult is is to assure all parties share a common definition.

Thanks for the humor.

I am a "Pop", if my business grosses over $3 Million a year in revenue is my business is a "Mom and Pop" business?
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24720 Sep 17, 2013
Thanks Obama..........
"Census on Obama’s 1st Term: Real Median Income Down $2,627; People in Poverty Up 6,667,000; Record 46,496,000 Now Poor"

Many more to be added after Obamacare kicks in, and folks have to pay out more than they have.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jef...

I'm posting this as written and I get this message from topix "Please refrain from posting profanity or offensive material.
Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator."

Was it because I used the "Thanks" word?? The "Obama" name??

or was it the "kicks" word?? or maybe the "many" word, or the "or" word or the "in" word??

I really-really think it was because I used the "Census" word.

Now

Baldwin, GA

#24721 Sep 17, 2013
It was just too good to be true....
Hillary not talking is like a pig not squealing....

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/09/h...

jeb stuart

Cordele, GA

#24722 Sep 17, 2013
Now wrote:
So much for a liberal believing in gun control...
"FRIEND: Navy Yard Shooter Liberal, Supported Obama"
I'm waiting to hear Obama say "if I had a son, he would be like Aaron Alexis."
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/...
Now that is real cool- trying to politicize a national tragedy before the victims are even buried. I wondered who would be the first to do it- I should have known!
Now

Baldwin, GA

#24723 Sep 17, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>

I am a "Pop", if my business grosses over $3 Million a year in revenue is my business is a "Mom and Pop" business?

You aint no Pop, you're a Flop.

But to answer the ?.
If family owned, there is no limit to amount made to be called a Mom & Pop business. Amount of Revenue does NOT take away the classification.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 15 hr The WB 2,055
just say no to dangerous mammogram Sun WJAbbe 2
Woman reports large group of youths surround he... Sep 12 Victim 2
Dial America commits espionage through wrongful... Sep 12 YOUR MOMMA 2
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Sep 5 faisha 186
London Wal-Mart permit pulled Aug 27 Top Mod 8 1
Missing shiapoo puppy in athens . 7066124854 Aug 26 Mistyb83 3
•••

Athens News Video

•••
•••

Athens Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••