Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#22595 Aug 19, 2013
Right Wingers hate democracy -

North Carolina election officials chipping away at student vote.

The objective of the new voting laws in North Carolina are clear.

They are designed to place obstacles in the path of citizens who traditionally vote Democratic—African Americans, students, the poor—to slice a percentage of them off the final tallies.

Unlike their predecessors who did all in their considerable power under Jim Crow to keep nearly everyone in a certain category from voting, the latter-day suppressors know that, in many election contests, knocking off a few percentage points is all that is needed for victory.

College students are one of the targets for this assault on voting rights. Efforts to curb student voting started in 1971 when 18-year-olds first got the right to vote and has continued ever since even though, for 34 years, students have, thanks to the federal appeals court decision in Symm v. U.S. had the right to vote in the communities where they attend school.

North Carolina isn't alone among the states that have played various the angles to get around this.

Among the methods has been the official spread of false information and scare tactics to keep students from the polls.

Under the new state law passed in the wake of the Supreme Court's gutting of a key portion of the Voting Rights Act, officials in North Carolina are now moving to undermine the student vote.

For instance, the Watauga County election board has decided to eliminate an election precinct and early voting site on the campus of Appalachian State University.

The board in Pasquotank County has nixed a student at Elizabeth City State University from running for city council.

The Republican chairman of the Forsyth County Board of Elections will try to eliminate the Anderson Center at the historically black Winston-Salem State University as a site for early voting.[...]
Fueling Raymond’s concerns, he said, are comments that he heard as an elections precinct judge in 2010.
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22596 Aug 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
Right Wingers hate democracy -
North Carolina election officials chipping away at student vote.
The objective of the new voting laws in North Carolina are clear.
They are designed to place obstacles in the path of citizens who traditionally vote Democratic—African Americans, students, the poor—to slice a percentage of them off the final tallies.
Unlike their predecessors who did all in their considerable power under Jim Crow to keep nearly everyone in a certain category from voting, the latter-day suppressors know that, in many election contests, knocking off a few percentage points is all that is needed for victory.
College students are one of the targets for this assault on voting rights. Efforts to curb student voting started in 1971 when 18-year-olds first got the right to vote and has continued ever since even though, for 34 years, students have, thanks to the federal appeals court decision in Symm v. U.S. had the right to vote in the communities where they attend school.
North Carolina isn't alone among the states that have played various the angles to get around this.
Among the methods has been the official spread of false information and scare tactics to keep students from the polls.
Under the new state law passed in the wake of the Supreme Court's gutting of a key portion of the Voting Rights Act, officials in North Carolina are now moving to undermine the student vote.
For instance, the Watauga County election board has decided to eliminate an election precinct and early voting site on the campus of Appalachian State University.
The board in Pasquotank County has nixed a student at Elizabeth City State University from running for city council.
The Republican chairman of the Forsyth County Board of Elections will try to eliminate the Anderson Center at the historically black Winston-Salem State University as a site for early voting.[...]
Fueling Raymond’s concerns, he said, are comments that he heard as an elections precinct judge in 2010.
Dang, IO. They just want to see your ID, dude. Lighten up. ;)
http://tundratabloids.com/wp-content/uploads/...
Informed Opinion

Cape Coral, FL

#22597 Aug 19, 2013
OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>Dang, IO. They just want to see your ID, dude. Lighten up. ;)
http://tundratabloids.com/wp-content/uploads/...
Nice try.

That's why the state decided that,
Government Issued Student Photo I.D.s,
aren't Government Issued Photos I.D.s,
for voting purposes.

Some of us Real Americans are unhappy when our fellow Americans are denied the right to vote.

But, you see.. We don't hate Democracy.

How

Demorest, GA

#22598 Aug 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
for voting purposes.
Some of us Real Americans are unhappy when our fellow Americans are denied the right to vote.

You just subvert and pervert democracy.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#22600 Aug 19, 2013
one finger boogie wrote:
<quoted text>
The really good thing is that not as many whackos are here as you would think. The same 6 posting over and over and over again night and day using many different names. Probably trying to see the keyboard to do the one finger boogie by the light of FNC on the tube type TV. Whackos this whacky are normally at the lower end of the economic scale, or in words they use commonly dirt poor.
There seems to be THREE left wing lunatics and perhaps six(sometimes more) conservatives. Occasionally, CN(left wing lunatic) will post, but you referred to those who post a lot. I am wondering what makes you SO SURE that the conservatives are changing names????? What proof do you have of that? Maybe there is only ONE left wing lunatic. Perhaps THAT person is using other names. See how that works, Dahlonega?. Really, you should think before you post.

Location hidden

#22601 Aug 19, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you chose the phraseology "infiltrated the entertainment industry", where I pointed out that infiltration, like subversion, of our culture are terms steeped in hyperbolic fear designed to elicit a Pavlovic response.
Did the Soviets have spys in our government, yep.
Did the Soviets use the Communist Party of America as a front group, yep.
Was every member of the CPA a spy, nope, in fact the vast majority were not.
Did the Soviets try to influence our culture, probably, but so what. That's the chance you take in a free society where different ideas social and political compete.
Have you shown, time and time again, that you feel the Left is subverting what YOU think America should be, yep, but so what, it's just your opinion.
That is my opinion, too. It SHOULD be yours, but you left wing lunatics are h*ll bent on driving our country further down.
You NEVER answered the question I asked you NUMEROUS times. You didn't want to hurt your buddie's feelings. He made a bottom feeding traitorous statement and I guess EVEN YOU draw the line somewhere.

Location hidden

#22602 Aug 19, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for illustrating the ignorant elitism so favored by the Left.
I've missed the laughs the left wing lunatics on Topix always provide. Dahlonega seldom thinks before he posts.

Location hidden

#22603 Aug 19, 2013
How wrote:
<quoted text>
Aggie kicked your azz with the 2nd admend argument, give it up sucker.
Aggie ALWAYS does. Easy work for Aggie.

Location hidden

#22604 Aug 19, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
You lefties want to see just how tolerant Muslims are to Christians? Keep telling us just how peaceful they are. You have to be nuts!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23967...
They ARE nuts. We just humor them on Topix because we feel so sorry for them in regard to their poor choices in life.
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22605 Aug 19, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
for voting purposes.
A Democracy luvin muslim. Now that's Irony.
You're so confused, IO. LoL.
http://www.justsaypictures.com/images/irony-3...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#22606 Aug 19, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
I've missed the laughs the left wing lunatics on Topix always provide. Dahlonega seldom thinks before he posts.
Would it matter if he/she did think? Not likely...
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22607 Aug 19, 2013
Check this out. This was on another forum, about Obama.
http://www.tomatobubble.com/presidentpsycho.h...
Joe D

Douglasville, GA

#22608 Aug 19, 2013
Obama is Satin !
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22609 Aug 19, 2013
Uh-oh illegals, it ain't lookin good.
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2013/08...
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22610 Aug 19, 2013
This was an interesting article.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/...
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22611 Aug 19, 2013
This guy brags, that the latinos have been deciding who our President is, since "2000". He says they plan to be "150 million in this country"(mexicans) by 2050. WTF?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/w...
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#22612 Aug 19, 2013
Here's something you Catholics may be interested in.:(
http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/pope-electors-told...
jeb stuart

Cordele, GA

#22613 Aug 19, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
There seems to be THREE left wing lunatics and perhaps six(sometimes more) conservatives. Occasionally, CN(left wing lunatic) will post, but you referred to those who post a lot. I am wondering what makes you SO SURE that the conservatives are changing names????? What proof do you have of that? Maybe there is only ONE left wing lunatic. Perhaps THAT person is using other names. See how that works, Dahlonega?. Really, you should think before you post.
The way I see it- it is about even! Omte can't vote so he don't count, When can't afford the poll tax(no food stamps accepted), and Bigdave is too damn stupid to pass a poll test!

Location hidden

#22614 Aug 19, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>The way I see it- it is about even! Omte can't vote so he don't count, When can't afford the poll tax(no food stamps accepted), and Bigdave is too damn stupid to pass a poll test!
If that's the way you see it, you had better get your eyes checked. Except for OMTE, if Obama can get elected counting the votes of dead people, I think WHEN and BIGDAVE are waaaaaaay ahead of the game.
Oh my

Young Harris, GA

#22615 Aug 20, 2013
How wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
You just subvert and pervert democracy.
Well looky here,
Whennie has a new word.

Now she'll make rhymes,
while the clock chimes,
rootin' in the slime,
that fills her minds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
House for sale! 450 Millstone Circle, Athens, ... Jul 10 Guest 2
Michelle Hampton aka Michelle Veal aka Heather ... Jul 5 Roxgotnumber7 4
Snapchat slutty uga girls Jun 30 Pigcorkio 4
News Athens man nearly hit police car and fled Jun '16 DisgruntledAthens... 1
Precision Tune auto-Business from HELL!!! (Nov '14) May '16 greg 2
unfair non unified government of athens clarke ... May '16 wjabbe 5
Local News, Talk, and Entertainment Podcast for... May '16 athenspodcastprod... 1

Athens Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Athens Mortgages