Camden poorest city in U.S.

Full story: Courier-Post

Twice designated the country's most dangerous city, Camden now ranks as the poorest, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Comments
61 - 72 of 72 Comments Last updated Feb 20, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
anthony dececco

Collingswood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

drop a bomb on camden, it will cleanse the City so it could be rebuilt.
anthony dececco

Collingswood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

new city of camden court house, 4th floor, contract should have been put out for bid. 4 mil mucho deniro!! Who is responsible for this.........
the man

Havertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

Camden is finished. I looked at a house in the Fairview section of Camden 20 years ago. At that time Fairview was mostly white. It wasn't a great place but it was affordable. I decided to buy in Pennsauken instead. I took a drive through Fairview a few months ago. My how things have changed. Abandoned cars,thuggy kids,pit bulls running free,the place is a shame.The bottom line is you chased white people out.
Just take an hour drive east to Atlantic City. That city has had over 30 years to get it's act together. Billions spent on construction,40,000 jobs created.The most expensive high school in south jersey.But look what happened.They didn't deal with the criminal element. Atlantic City has a population of around 40,000. About half of Camdens. After spending all that money,building all that new housing and brand new schools the place should be a show place by the sea. Instead it is a dump. Why? becouse the local residents don't want to change there position in society. They don't want an education or to work and get ahead.
In conclusion I may sound harsh to some. Racist to others. But can you dispute my rant? Prove me wrong? The bottom line is people decide where and how and with who too live. No amount of money or publicity can or will change that. Get rid of the thugs and decent people of all colors will consider moving in.
bettyboop55

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

the man,

You are wright in some things,but if only a handful of people try to get the thugs out we would have to start with the top. Because they are the most corrupt in the city. Also if someone would start looking at what the board of director are giving themselves we could make a lot of difference in education. The kids don't have good schooling but the administration sure has a lot of money to spend on friends and families. I for one don't like to school system because of its corruption. So if some one cares and tries to help that person will be targeted by cops and city inspectors. In stead of helping the person they get crucified. And many others things that can be fixed with little money and it would make the place a lot better. Because my grandmother used to say (you can be poor and as long as you are honest and clean) being poor is not a crime.
NoHighPlaces

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

bettyboop55 wrote:
the man,
You are wright in some things,but if only a handful of people try to get the thugs out we would have to start with the top. Because they are the most corrupt in the city. Also if someone would start looking at what the board of director are giving themselves we could make a lot of difference in education. The kids don't have good schooling but the administration sure has a lot of money to spend on friends and families. I for one don't like to school system because of its corruption. So if some one cares and tries to help that person will be targeted by cops and city inspectors. In stead of helping the person they get crucified. And many others things that can be fixed with little money and it would make the place a lot better. Because my grandmother used to say (you can be poor and as long as you are honest and clean) being poor is not a crime.
Being poor is NOT a crime, you're right...however poverty and crime often go hand in hand because once you choose to live in poverty, DESPERATION sets in, and those people dis-illusion themselves to believe their needs are the same as entitlement and the only way to get something is to take it,not earn it. There are some cities that need to simply be locked down,and treated like the movie District 9(including their corrupt govt officials)because of the utter chaos.
the man

Havertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

bettyboop55,
I hear what you are saying. However there is a culture of failure that exists in too many poor families.The lack of discipline in raising children is but one. Not valuing education,out of wedlock births by teen girls etc. Notice I call it a CULTURE of failure. Many of these folks have been living this way for generations. They need to change this self destructiveness.No amount of money spent on schools,police after school programs is going to help until those who need help act upon there desire to live a bettor life.Yes the school and city government are crooked. But that is not a valid excuse for kids misbehaving,poor parenting is. Why do I see children out riding bikes at 11 p.m. on school nights? Why are so many 15-17 year old girls getting pregnant? POOR PARENTING SKILLS.
You can blame the larger society for the ills that fall on your community but it is only an excuse to not try and move a head. Why bother the system will keep me down. RUBISH. There are many in the African American comunity who thought Obama would change there lives forever. He can't do it. The power for change comes from the individual not the government.
Scott Doe

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

How does the Camden City Police Chief Thompson say crime is down in the most dangerous city? When crime is its highest ever, he must really be thankful for being able to cook the books and fudge Crime Reporting Statistics. Until the Mayor wakes up and smells the coffee, Camden will continue to house and facilitate the scum of America.
JoJoes

Glassboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

NORTHERN CA wrote:
LOCK UP ALL THE CRACK AND HEROIN CONSUMERS AND ,,AND GET A JOB SIMPLE ASS THAT,,AND GET MORE PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR CITY DONT LET IT SLUMP INTO THE GHETTO ABYSS
Lock up all the consumers? How about locking up the dealers??? No dealers no consumers. The consumers are self-medicating because they have a severe chemical imbalance.The dealers are providing drugs to the community. Don't talk stupid, for real. You sound stupid.
the man

Havertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Did anyone else notice that this forum is very divided? Either you believe the government owes Camden a lot of the taxpayers money. Or you believe it should just be left on it's own to self implode.
Here is my question,just how many of the residents of Camden are 2nd or 3rd generation residents of either Camden or some other hood?
I have been in the work force for 33 years. Employed by factories,shipyards etc. Some but not all Blacks have a self destructive personality. Absenteeism,fighting,argueing with the boss and co-workers ect.
I have seen the way some Blacks handle money. I would be poor if I did those things too.
The bottom line is this. If you want to be poor watch what poor people do with there money.$100 sneakers leased luxury cars etc. Rich people think differently about money. They can defer gratifacation. Poor people can't. Look at all the pro-athletes who are broke. They can't manage money.They have it they spend it. I saw what the most popular car driven by millionaires was. A Ford. If I was poor the last thing on my mind would be driving an expensive car. Why? Becouse it costs money that I don't have.

Since: Sep 08

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

the man wrote:
Did anyone else notice that this forum is very divided? Either you believe the government owes Camden a lot of the taxpayers money. Or you believe it should just be left on it's own to self implode.
Here is my question,just how many of the residents of Camden are 2nd or 3rd generation residents of either Camden or some other hood?
I have been in the work force for 33 years. Employed by factories,shipyards etc. Some but not all Blacks have a self destructive personality. Absenteeism,fighting,argueing with the boss and co-workers ect.
I have seen the way some Blacks handle money. I would be poor if I did those things too.
The bottom line is this. If you want to be poor watch what poor people do with there money.$100 sneakers leased luxury cars etc. Rich people think differently about money. They can defer gratifacation. Poor people can't. Look at all the pro-athletes who are broke. They can't manage money.They have it they spend it. I saw what the most popular car driven by millionaires was. A Ford. If I was poor the last thing on my mind would be driving an expensive car. Why? Becouse it costs money that I don't have.
My wife and myself drive a Lincoln,Ford Escape,Corvette and a motorhome,all paid for becaused we worked for them (none of them were new)and saved many years to buy them.The people on welfare seems to think that driving a new car makes them above everyone else and all it does is make the rest of us pi$$ed off because it is our tax money that pays for it.Growing up I was lucky if I had $5.00 sneakers and my kids might have had $15.00 sneakers while the kids, who parents (on welfare)had $50.00 pairs.The whole system is screwed up and must be changed,when someone doesn't have to work for what they have they don't care what happens to what they have and just want more.Cut the "entitlemts" down to just what people need to live on with no frills,most of us have been there and made a better life lives for ourselfs. Question:do the people in on welfare N.J. get free cellphones with 200 mins.a month + all the extras? They do in N.Y. and they(NYS) can't figure why we are pi$$ed off.

Since: Feb 11

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

i cant believe how far down this city is going
Jack Mehoff

Pennington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2011

What happened to Camden is what happens in every city where those who refuse to work and are on the dole outnumber those who are productive and work and pay taxes. Just look at Detroit and Cleveland!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Atco News Video

•••
•••

Atco Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Atco People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••