Camden poorest city in U.S.

Camden poorest city in U.S.

There are 72 comments on the Courier-Post story from Aug 30, 2006, titled Camden poorest city in U.S.. In it, Courier-Post reports that:

Twice designated the country's most dangerous city, Camden now ranks as the poorest, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courier-Post.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Phyllis Padinha

New York, NY

#1 Aug 30, 2006
This County could be changed if the tax dollars went to the county instead of the governors pockets....The officials are feeding off the poor and therefore it remains this way. We need to clean up our government first if we want to see improvements in our counties.

Phyllis Padinha
James E Murrell Jr

Phoenixville, PA

#2 Aug 30, 2006
Pardon me for being so impolite as to play the race card but I can only play the cards I've been dealt. My people, Hispanic and Black, have always been on the recieving end of the so-called 'short stick' of American society. This must and will end. Now in Camden, our city government is hopelessly corrupt. The state's henchman, Melvin Primas,who once turned his back on Camden is now in league with them to steal homes in Cramer Hill. We must act now. The date of the battle has been set. November 7, 2006. I'll be there. Will you?
Peter

Atlanta, GA

#3 Jan 27, 2007
I am a middle class white male, and not ashamed that I have had opportunity. Minorities and the poor try to make people feel bad for being "born into" a good situation. My parents worked hard, one of them earning their college degrees, and my grandparents are immigrants. My mother stuggled with 4 kids and a full time job to get her degree. All it takes is hard work and determination, something that these pitiful people in Camden and other dumps lack. Stop whining, get a fast food job, work 60-70 hours a week and try to make something of yourself. There is plenty of free money for college for minorities. Stop expecting handouts, get off you lazy asses and make it happen. Is it harder for you, sure....but it's not impossible. Blame your relatives for putting you in that miserable position, and stop blaming "the government" and others. My parents worked hard to get me where I am, maybe yours should have too.
Anon

Plymouth Meeting, PA

#4 Jan 27, 2007
Ok Peter. One thing I didnt like about the show was that they didnt show the reality. Alot of people in camden arent like they showed. And You would have seen that billy's father COULDNT work and billy worked as much as he could without dropping out of school. And you know what? I went to school with him for my first two years of high school and not once did he ever really have a frown that I saw. He never let his home life affect how nice a person he is. I saw him Friday and he STILL had a smile on his face. So before you judge a group of people, look at everyone and read between the lines. And for the information, My father lived in camden his whole life and still got into college and got his degree in Chemistry. Maybe 20/20 should have shown that some of us do get up and do something. So please. Dont speak what you dont know.
Kash

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2007
Peter, What you said was ridiculous. Yes we all know that there are some people who just give up hope and have no determination but that does not take away from the fact that Camden has no outlets for oppurtunity. Consider the school system; I'm sure you heard how corrupt it is. I am a resident in Camden and I attended some Camden schools. The things I learned in Camden did not prepare me for high school at all.I have lived here all my life and I attended one of the top high schools in the country, The Lawrenceville School and now I go to Drexel University as a Chemistry major. It takes a good education to get far and if your being denied one you have to work ten times as hard as the next person just to get through college. So before you begin to judge the people of Camden, Nj take the time to get to know someone and find out what their life is really like.
Essence

Thousand Oaks, CA

#6 Jan 29, 2007
Dear Peter,

I am a college student in one of southern california's most prestigous schools. I also am from Camden. To hear you say that my people need to get off there asses and get a job, is ignorant and down right stupid. Camden is 7 square miles, if that, and to have the drugs infestation, and crime we have can only be blamed on the lack of control by the goverment. The city officals make money off the state, all of our mayors for the past 16 years have been corrupt, and guess what im 19 years old, that says alot! Like you i was born into a good situation, my mother was and small business and my father was a police officer in a white neighborhood! So my good situation, like yours, got me where i am today. It was only the blessing of God to get me out of Camden, and not let me fall in the cracks of Camden streets. The people of camden arent looking for handouts, there looking for a chance one they can't get because stupid Mezzo Fortes like you point their fingers at the wrong people, you look at them like their trash and arent about something. Most people in Camden are smart, maybe much smarter than you, but their situation was something they were born into and have no option out, and the ones who get and option out, please believe thet take it. So keep your remedial comments to yourself from now on! Disrespectfully, Essence of Camden
Terrance

Winter Haven, FL

#7 Feb 15, 2007
Peter,keep in mind.If you have never been there, then don't go there.(hint)
Deirdre

AOL

#8 Feb 17, 2007
Not everyone is smart, to go to college, to work 60-70 hours a week. Some people, regardless of race or color or any other factor, just lack the intelligence to know how to lift themselves up out of disadvantages. They are not smart enough to use birth control, how can we expect anything more of them? We should feel sorry for them for being stupid, more than for being poor.
bbygirl

West Chester, PA

#9 Jun 19, 2007
My commets are in drug relate if the state would clean tulip roaden st 4th st and camden high oh and yesbasicaly all the streets from drugs it could be saved my dad lives up there and he 70 years old not much he can do everytime i go up there i see cops doing nothing except driving by tulip st ferry ave south 8th st a thse streets n a protrol man there to keep eyes open our children ar selling drugs why cause its what they know to do camden needs more programs for these kids more creative things to keep them busy enough already of everycopsitting on there buts they get paid for what nothing do a street what des ittke we the people got to be not afraid but be stronger than these teens ok get camden back on track ok
NORTHERN CA

United States

#10 Jun 19, 2007
LOCK UP ALL THE CRACK AND HEROIN CONSUMERS AND ,,AND GET A JOB SIMPLE ASS THAT,,AND GET MORE PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR CITY DONT LET IT SLUMP INTO THE GHETTO ABYSS
Pretty Nancy

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jun 20, 2007
Funneling more money into Camden County is not the answer; we canít be sure the Freeholders would not use it for its own special interests.

Wasnít it under the auspices of the Freeholders that the Pennsauken Mart was taken by eminent domain, throwing out the merchants and leaving them to fend for themselves?

More recently, wasnít it the Freeholders who did not act to lower the level of the Cooper River, thus causing Collingswood homeowners to suffer flood damage rather than risk disappointing the rowers with less than optimum river conditions?

NJ is a land of patronage and any benefit its residents receive from their taxes is just a happy accident.
mar

Pooler, GA

#12 Jun 29, 2007
i live in camden. my husband and i own our house in fairview. the neighborhood was good until section 8 took over. now every corner is filled with people dealing drugs. parents dont take care of their kids. the schools are horrible. the teachers dont care. i went to camden high and i saw kids walk right out the front door to skip class. the teachers saw and did nothing. the security guards are your friends. you can do whatever you want. girls are having sex as young as 8.having babys as young as 12. there is so much violence here.i hear gun shots and fighting every night.the police do absolutely nothing. they dont care. no one does. parents make their kids fight other kids to make them tough.this is what some are used too. if the police,teachers,parents and goverment would do their job, camden wouldnt be so bad.we are trying so hard to get the hell out of here.
Kate

Wildwood, NJ

#13 Jul 9, 2007
I'm wondering if the people here who pass judgement on Camden residents have ever actually BEEN to Camden. Please, I dare you to wander off at Exit 5-B and just look around. It's scary. It's a place that's absolutely bereft of opportunity, safe living conditions, and hope. "Get off your ass and get a job," you say? Where do you suppose these people work? The only legitimate businesses in town are a few corner convenience stores that are frequented by dope pushers. Where do you suppose their children go to school? In a mold-infested building with no books, broken chairs, and violence? Camden, NJ, is FAR from being a blue blooded suburban American town. It's more like a third world country...completely shoved aside and condemned by a capitalist mentality. Survival is the culture. These are truly people with NOTHING.
My suggestion to you, Peter: Get off your ass, head out of your McMansion, and experience what is really going on in our country. Perhaps it would expand your tunnelvision.
Chris

Woodbury, NJ

#14 Jul 11, 2007
Camden is a scum pit and, it's spilling over into Pennsauken as we speak.

It kills me to drive down the street in my town and see another for sale sign.
CracK Slinging Coke

Sicklerville, NJ

#15 Jul 25, 2007
Camden is one of the greatest cities on earth, its all money, if you don't wana work get on the sets, you know what it is, people that own the blocks, you'll see their lambo's, you'll see everything else fucked up and see some banging whips out front the houses, and maybe if our city wasnt corrupt and if nj in genereal wasnt fucked up, maybe then, but for now let the freemasons controll our lives, let our building burn and let anarchy infest all sooooooooo until democracy works, fuck your idea of whats good
Will

West Chester, PA

#16 Sep 4, 2007
You're an arrogant, ignorant, rude, evil man. Have fun with the wealth you don't deserve.
Peter wrote:
I am a middle class white male, and not ashamed that I have had opportunity. Minorities and the poor try to make people feel bad for being "born into" a good situation. My parents worked hard, one of them earning their college degrees, and my grandparents are immigrants. My mother stuggled with 4 kids and a full time job to get her degree. All it takes is hard work and determination, something that these pitiful people in Camden and other dumps lack. Stop whining, get a fast food job, work 60-70 hours a week and try to make something of yourself. There is plenty of free money for college for minorities. Stop expecting handouts, get off you lazy asses and make it happen. Is it harder for you, sure....but it's not impossible. Blame your relatives for putting you in that miserable position, and stop blaming "the government" and others. My parents worked hard to get me where I am, maybe yours should have too.
Will

West Chester, PA

#17 Sep 4, 2007
Camden County's second biggest industry, behind scrap metal sale, is rowing. Any decision that would minimize the appeal of the Cooper River to rowers would cost the county millions in tax revenue.
Pretty Nancy wrote:
Funneling more money into Camden County is not the answer; we canít be sure the Freeholders would not use it for its own special interests.
Wasnít it under the auspices of the Freeholders that the Pennsauken Mart was taken by eminent domain, throwing out the merchants and leaving them to fend for themselves?
More recently, wasnít it the Freeholders who did not act to lower the level of the Cooper River, thus causing Collingswood homeowners to suffer flood damage rather than risk disappointing the rowers with less than optimum river conditions?
NJ is a land of patronage and any benefit its residents receive from their taxes is just a happy accident.
Chris - Pennsauken

Burlington, NJ

#18 Sep 5, 2007
White people were pushed out of camden by NAACP block busters in my parents day. Now they can't even drive trough it without the threat of losing thier lives.

It's happening here in Pennsauken and will continue until the whole united states is the drug filled, murder capital of the whole world.

Killers, Drug pushers , prostitutes and thieves.
Oh by the way they all collect the states money and then blame the state of NJ for not caring about them.... Bullshit... you made your bed... You ruined the city of camden... you deal with it..

One day... all the apologies will stop.
We don't owe you anything...

try going to school and getting a life instead of taking lives through violence and drugs. Turning a quick buck... NJ should make a parking lot out of Camden...
thingyz sista-305

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Sep 9, 2007
i lost 3 relativez in camden new jersy (2 on march 8,2007)...a brother and 2 cousins....i live in brooklyn new york and i have family in camden and itz just sad how everytime we get to that exit and it sayz camden on it i fear for my life...i would never walk down a camden street at 12:30 during the day....much less sleep a night in camden....u couldnt pay me 1 million dollarz to buy a house for 10 dollars in camden....u people out there should just get ya shit right or get the fuck out cuz thiz iznt a video game....u cant just press start over wen itz game over for u...once u lose....thatz it..ur done...and there iz no 2nd chance....and u inflict pain on ur family wen u decide to fuk up ur livez...just think about it....R.I.P j-haze d-crak and thingy...alwyz remembered and never 4gotten
poverty loves company

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Mar 7, 2008
I am glad that the city of Camden is 20 miles away from me but I am still a resident of Camden County. Camden is a drain on our state and county resources. It raises our taxes, kills our residents, and is a political quagmire. However, God needs the devil, the Eagles need the cowboys, and we need a place to put all the shit we don't want in our backyards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walter Dority and Mayor David Mayer 21 hr Freda 6
Bad Guy Mayor David Mayer the Antichrist Sun Jeff Webber 1
Is Sicklerville a dangerous and nasty town? (Mar '08) May 15 Dee 107
Anyone have memories of downtown Clementon in 5... (May '07) May 14 Jeanne 851
God Sees all this evil in this township May 12 Pastor 1
Mayor Mayer the Anti Christ 666 May 10 Kim 1
Mayor Mayer Hires a black man who sold out like... May 10 Shameful 1

Atco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance