Wherefore art thou, Astoria?

Wherefore art thou, Astoria?

There are 1 comment on the Oregonlive.com story from Apr 9, 2007, titled Wherefore art thou, Astoria?. In it, Oregonlive.com reports that:

Help! I hear that Astoria got all gussied up for the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial, but I missed it. via Oregonlive.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oregonlive.com.

“Watch this space”

Since: Apr 07

Astoria

#1 Apr 9, 2007
Come see the riverwalk, and maybe start at the East End (at the old 39th st. cannery) and have coffee at Coffee Girl.
Along the riverwalk, there's much to see and do, and even places to eat.
The Rio Cafe is great Mexican food (located on 9th st. near the Sunset Empire Transit Center (across from the Merry Time Tavern)), and the Columbian Cafe on 11th and Marine is a leisurely and very "local" experience, too.
Urban Cafe on Commercial (mid-block between 11th and 12th) is another good lunch or dinner visit.
The Maritime Museum at the foot of 17th has been remodeled since you visited, and worth a visit, also.
Even living here all these years, I still enjoy the Flavel House for its historic photos and local history.
Don't forget to check out how much more of the Peter Iredale's been nibbled away by the sand and sea, out at Fort Stevens.
You can see the rebuilt Ft. Clatsop and also hike the Fort-to-Sea trail if you're so inclined and the weather is agreeable.
Even the Column has new attractions. Buy a few balsa gliders and launch them if you dare.
On the Washington side, I like Long Beach itself for the Boardwalk. Or hike up to North Head and Cape Disappointment, visit Waikiki Beach, and all the attractions within the park. I'd skip Marsh's Free Museum in Long Beach, though, it's really gone downhill and isn't too much more than average compared to what it used to be.
In the Nahcotta area, there is Ledbetter Point and the hiking trails.
Whatever you choose to do, I think you'll like most of the changes, but do come see Astoria's quaint waterfront soon, as it's quickly disappearing into condominiums which of course will destroy the feel as well as the look.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lufthansa greece to all greek diaspora keep awa... (Jul '15) Nov 28 bella 3
Hello😀 Aug '16 Jim 1
Seaside Music Thread (May '12) Jul '16 Musikologist 38
motorcycling in Astoria Oregon (May '16) May '16 yooper 1
military protect us (Dec '15) Dec '15 ILLEGALS DRUGS an... 1
german reparationes to greece (Mar '15) Mar '15 Ellas 1
der spiegel greece (Mar '15) Mar '15 Elke 1

Astoria Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance