First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Colorado Gal

Miamisburg, OH

#1 Mar 13, 2009
Any truth to the story that this gallery owner is a thief, a fraud and is running a ponzi scheme?
sherlock

Oklahoma City, OK

#2 Mar 25, 2009
I heard the owner admitted to all in the story. Have not seen news stories or police reports that would confirm his admission and/or wonder if he did all of this and admitted it to his victims in order to buy time and skip the area or country. Anybody know his name? Anybody know if he turned himself in to authorities? Is the gallery still open? Or is this story false?
Ushersc

Stamford, CT

#3 Mar 27, 2009
Something has occurred, the details of which are sketchy. The FBI is involved. If you have purchased artwork from Ernst & Ernst and do not possess the artwork you purchased (i.e. not fulfilled or the gallery held on to it for you) you should contact the FBI in Portland or Salem OR.

Colorado Gal wrote:
Any truth to the story that this gallery owner is a thief, a fraud and is running a ponzi scheme?
ami

Spokane, WA

#4 Mar 30, 2009
Im a hair dresser and my client lost over half a mill to this guy. He pretty much brok up with them in an email told them that he had been lying for the past 15 yrs. and they are left with no retirment. Yes it true and I hope he gets what he deserves they aren't the oly people he has done this to. so believe me there is more to come!!!
ANA

Portland, OR

#5 Apr 2, 2009
One thing that I think people need to remember is that Cannon Beach/Seaside are very small towns and, as with any other small town, rumors spread like wildfire. Please keep that in mind when you hear rumors regarding this investigation and do not pass information along that you do not know for yourself to be 100% true. I believe that the person in question made some poor choices that unfortunately have effected people's lives negatively, but we shouldn't allow ourselves to spread ill-informed and sometimes malicious gossip.

I've heard ridiculous so called 'facts' and have confirmed them to be untrue.

I hope we can all keep this in mind; even those of us that are angry.
guy

Springfield, OR

#6 Apr 10, 2009
ami wrote:
Im a hair dresser and my client lost over half a mill to this guy. He pretty much brok up with them in an email told them that he had been lying for the past 15 yrs. and they are left with no retirment. Yes it true and I hope he gets what he deserves they aren't the oly people he has done this to. so believe me there is more to come!!!
you make no sense. for one, he only owned the gallery for 5 years. second, he sold art, not retirement. you dont know what ur talkin about.
Roberta

Lake Oswego, OR

#7 Apr 12, 2009
Yes the FBI is involved in the Don Seybold/Ernst & Ernst Collectors Gallery criminal activities. Don Seybold turned himself in to the Cannon Beach police on either March 11 or 12th. His email to Ernst & Ernst investors was sent out to many people. In this email, he admitted fraud, running a ponzi scheme and other criminal activities. He passed bad checks, and made fraudulent charges on the credit cards of many of his clients. Yes, the FBI is involved, as his crimes cross state lines and into Canada. I know this to be true, because I am one of the unfortunate people who was scammed by this guy. And there went my retirement possibilities too.
Roberta

Lake Oswego, OR

#8 Apr 12, 2009
Colorado Gal wrote:
it's all true. the gallery owner admitted to committing crimes, fraud, running a ponzi scheme, and who knows what else. he has cheated clients out of millions and millions of dollars. it is HUGE.
Roberta

Lake Oswego, OR

#9 Apr 12, 2009
ANA wrote:
One thing that I think people need to remember is that Cannon Beach/Seaside are very small towns and, as with any other small town, rumors spread like wildfire. Please keep that in mind when you hear rumors regarding this investigation and do not pass information along that you do not know for yourself to be 100% true. I believe that the person in question made some poor choices that unfortunately have effected people's lives negatively, but we shouldn't allow ourselves to spread ill-informed and sometimes malicious gossip.
I've heard ridiculous so called 'facts' and have confirmed them to be untrue.
I hope we can all keep this in mind; even those of us that are angry.
the sad, disgusting, and hideous story about don seybold is true... he's a self-admitted criminal who committed fraud, ran a ponzi scheme, and scammed millions and millions of dollars from people over the last 3 or so years, at the very least. he will hopefully spend a lot of years in the "big house" sharing a small cell with bernie madolf.
Roberta

Lake Oswego, OR

#10 Apr 12, 2009
Colorado Gal wrote:
yes, it's all true... i am one of the many victims of his criminal activities.
Roberta

Lake Oswego, OR

#11 Apr 12, 2009
sherlock wrote:
I heard the owner admitted to all in the story. Have not seen news stories or police reports that would confirm his admission and/or wonder if he did all of this and admitted it to his victims in order to buy time and skip the area or country. Anybody know his name? Anybody know if he turned himself in to authorities? Is the gallery still open? Or is this story false?
the owner's name is don seybold. his 2 galleries (cannon beach and seaside) are closed. he turned himself in to the cannon beach police.
diane

Sylvania, GA

#12 Apr 15, 2009
do you know if Don is still in town or if they know where he is? I have known him for years. I am worried about his wife. Now that he has stopped this I hope he is facing it head on and not on the run.
Shamus

Gig Harbor, WA

#13 Apr 16, 2009
My family has tried numerous times to get ahold of his wife. She has not returned any of our calls. they were made out of concern not criticism. the more time that goes by makes her not look so good.
ANA

Portland, OR

#14 Apr 17, 2009
Shamus wrote:
My family has tried numerous times to get ahold of his wife. She has not returned any of our calls. they were made out of concern not criticism. the more time that goes by makes her not look so good.
This situation is unfortunate for all involved. Especially the victims. I think it's helpful to put yourself in his wife's shoes. I'm sure she's embarrassed and at a loss for words on how to handle the unwanted attention. I know that I would be tempted to shut myself off too avoid the awkwardness of having to talk to people who want answers that I couldn't give them. My heart goes out to her.
Kathie Moran

Eugene, OR

#15 Apr 17, 2009
This is the first I've heard of the story but I have been trying to reach Don by email for months.
He has art of mine on consignment including one navajo rug which is appraised for over $18,000.00
along with my other art. How do I begin to get it back?
Leaf

United States

#16 Apr 17, 2009
Kathie Moran wrote:
This is the first I've heard of the story but I have been trying to reach Don by email for months.
He has art of mine on consignment including one navajo rug which is appraised for over $18,000.00
Kathie, contact the FBI in Portland. They can help you begin with a claim. As far as I know, all art pieces in Don's possession have been moved by them to Portland.
Kathleen

Lake Oswego, OR

#17 Apr 18, 2009
Kathie Moran wrote:
Contacting the FBI is a good idea, but do not expect a speedy response. I have been waiting for more than one month. Many of Don's customers had pieces on consignment or "held" in one of his storage units at the coast. At this point, it's impossible to know if either the "consigned" or "held" pieces still exist. Don's alleged victims can only hope...
watson

Olympia, WA

#18 Apr 20, 2009
Where are the reporters, Did Oregon run em all out. This should be a major story in Seaside, Cannon Beach, Astoria, and yes even Portland. I have clients that have been devastated by this scum bag. If he turned himself in, didn't the police logs indicate it and shouldn't that provoke inquirey. This story needs publicity. I'm betting there are many folks that don't realize they are victims. I can't believe that this situation has only provoked 17 or 18 comments. Somebody in the Seaside area needs to wake up the press with a sharp stick!At least a copy of this blog!!!
Kathleen

Lake Oswego, OR

#19 Apr 21, 2009
I wonder where the reporters are, as well. I've done searches on the Cannon Beach, Astoria, Seaside local papers, and there has been nothing about it. It's as if the press is afraid or reluctant to actually report this hideous story. I have wondered if the Willamette Week would be interested in the story. They seem to do some good investigative work at times. Don Seybold's admitted criminal activities have destroyed a lot of people's dreams, their ability to retire, and the financial well being. This story should be front page news, not hidden by the local beach folks.
watson wrote:
Where are the reporters, Did Oregon run em all out. This should be a major story in Seaside, Cannon Beach, Astoria, and yes even Portland. I have clients that have been devastated by this scum bag. If he turned himself in, didn't the police logs indicate it and shouldn't that provoke inquirey. This story needs publicity. I'm betting there are many folks that don't realize they are victims. I can't believe that this situation has only provoked 17 or 18 comments. Somebody in the Seaside area needs to wake up the press with a sharp stick!At least a copy of this blog!!!
victim

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#20 Apr 22, 2009
Kathleen wrote:
I wonder where the reporters are, as well. I've done searches on the Cannon Beach, Astoria, Seaside local papers, and there has been nothing about it. It's as if the press is afraid or reluctant to actually report this hideous story. I have wondered if the Willamette Week would be interested in the story. They seem to do some good investigative work at times. Don Seybold's admitted criminal activities have destroyed a lot of people's dreams, their ability to retire, and the financial well being. This story should be front page news, not hidden by the local beach folks. <quoted text>
The FBI people working this case have determined that the best results for all the victims is to carefully and completely 'download' as much info as Don is willing to share - and have therefore put a 'clamp' on the news media! And I can certainly see why - the few published 'reports' that have appeared (either news on tv or in print) are so woefully in error of what really went on that is almost laughable! In any event - let's give the FBI a few more weeks of intensive digging and the whole 'correct and true' picture may emerge! And it is a VERY big deal - and most of the victims will be traced down and notified - and without the media racing each other to get the most dramatic (probably mostly incorrect and misleading) story published!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seaside Music Thread (May '12) Nov '14 Musikologist 14
Oregon police dog fired for poor performance Nov '14 Obummer 3
Oregon Coast Whales - Guide to Whale Watching; ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
Oregon Coast Tsunami Debris Questions: What are... (May '14) Jul '14 Aerostar P601 2
Live Earthquake Updates from Oregon, Washington... (Jun '14) Jun '14 permadeva 2
Touching Dead Oregon Coast Whale Could Mean Fin... (Jul '09) May '14 JoB 2
Gas explosion at LNG facility in Washington pro... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Coos bay is commu... 1
Astoria Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Astoria People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:52 pm PST

NFL 1:52PM
Maurice Jones-Drew announces his retirement
Yahoo! Sports 2:36 PM