'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by family dog

Full story: TwinCities.com

Oregon authorities say the 4-year-old daughter of a reality TV show star was mauled to death by the family's Rottweiler.
Comments
61 - 80 of 87 Comments Last updated Apr 14, 2010
pierce

Saint Paul, MN

#63 Mar 2, 2010
Get a life wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do some research, you'll see that labs are the most common killers. The Pits and Rotts just get all the bad press...get a clue! The only way my rott would kill you would be by licking you to death!
Pretty sure that's false. Labs are among the most common *biters*, partially due to the sheer number of them, but labs are definitely not #1 in the fatality department.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#64 Mar 2, 2010
The Real Whatever wrote:
We have raised our Rottweiler (a rescue dog) to be gentle, although he does make it clear who he wants around and who he does not. We generally take that to heart regarding the people we surround ourselves with. The only person he ever chased down the street was a neighbor we found later to be an unregistered sex offender. He is kept under our control at all times. But also, we are aware he is an animal, and as we would with any dog we keep a gun on the premises with one of the reasons being in case the dog turns someday. But the real key is, you don't have to make a dog mean for it to protect you. It will do that because it loves you. And Rottweilers by nature are very intelligent and need as consistent and firm of a hand as do children regarding their behavior. If you can't do that, you shouldn't own one.
Recently I learned that Rottweilers are now welcomed into training programs for therapy, guide, and MS dogs, as are other breeds that previously were thought too high strung for service.

Our Old English Mastiff is not as good at reading people as your Rottweiler is. There are few people she will allow into our home and all others are quite terrified of her, including dear friends and family. To us, she is 200 pounds of baby and we never feel our safety is in question with her. However, we're mindful that she outweighs both of us and she could have a very, very bad day. We take that risk for ourselves but she is never, ever allowed around children anymore and she gets locked in a room when someone comes over. Leash walks are out of the question (would you want to be dragged down the street by that?) so she never leaves our fenced yard. Thank God for our vet, who makes house calls!
Common Cents

Gaithersburg, MD

#65 Mar 2, 2010
you are an idiot...german shepards and labs may be responsiblie for more bites (not sure just taking your work for it) but pitbulls and rotweilers are the killers, attack and kill it's in their genes, no matter how friendly they may be, no matter how well they are trained.
guns are good wrote:
ban stupid people not dogs!!! german shepherds and labs bite more people than any other dog. pit bulls and rotts and all these other "dangerous dogs" are very strong so are their jaws. we might as well start banning all the certain types of people that are more prone to violence then too. i have a "dangerous dog" and i would trust him with any kid. but i wouldnt want to break to into my house and see what he would do to someone who wasnt welcome. its all the owners fault. im all for giving this guy manslaughter charges but its just as much his fault as the dogs.
WWM

Saint Paul, MN

#66 Mar 2, 2010
And all the pet nazi's come forth. Ban them you say. Ban smoking outdoors, ban farting, ban red shirts ban anything that has the potential to injure. Ban ice. I could slip on it! Freaks!
Vikes Fan

Maple Grove, MN

#67 Mar 2, 2010
west wind wrote:
I don't understand why people would keep dogs as pets in their homes. Haven't these people heard of countless deaths caused by attacks from their "family" dog? I hate dogs. I hate pets in general, especially pets like rottweilers, pitbulls, & other vicious dogs. When will people learn that dogs are wild animals. And wild animals will kill sooner or later. I don't believe in domesticated dogs. In other words, I don't believe you can train a dog to behave the way you want it to behave. Dogs can attack at any given time or situation. If a dog were to kill one of my family members, I'd shread it limb by limb until I reach the bone marrows of the SOB. To me, the only good dog is a dead dog, especially one that kills.
Are you serious?
"In other words, I don't believe you can train a dog to behave the way you want it to behave."

See eye dogs, companion dogs, dogs that sniff for bomb's and drugs? You might want to go to google and look up some info.
Vikes Fan

Maple Grove, MN

#68 Mar 2, 2010
Intelligent Veterinarian wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have a lovely household if you need a gun to enjoy your dog. I keep a 700 lb. steer in my basement, but I have a buffalo rifle just in case he makes a wrong move.
That's the funniest thing I've heard today!!!!
MN Observer

Gilbert, AZ

#69 Mar 2, 2010
WWM wrote:
And all the pet nazi's come forth. Ban them you say. Ban smoking outdoors, ban farting, ban red shirts ban anything that has the potential to injure. Ban ice. I could slip on it! Freaks!
To whom is that you are dircting your reply?

I don't necessarily think the dogs should be banned, however I think municipalities should have the right to ban them if they wish to. If you already own one when the ban goes into effect, you get to keep it until it dies or bites someone. If you move into the municipality after the ban goes into effect, no rottweiler or pit bull. There are probably a few other breeds that should be on the list, but I'm not familiar with all of them. Primarily, I'm speaking of the dogs that bite and don't let go. A lab might nip you, but they don't clamp on and not release.
pierce

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Mar 2, 2010
MN Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
To whom is that you are dircting your reply?
I don't necessarily think the dogs should be banned, however I think municipalities should have the right to ban them if they wish to. If you already own one when the ban goes into effect, you get to keep it until it dies or bites someone. If you move into the municipality after the ban goes into effect, no rottweiler or pit bull. There are probably a few other breeds that should be on the list, but I'm not familiar with all of them. Primarily, I'm speaking of the dogs that bite and don't let go. A lab might nip you, but they don't clamp on and not release.
On the other hand, I'm sure we all remember the French woman who underwent the world's first face transplant after her black lab removed her original face. That's a big nip.
MN Observer

Gilbert, AZ

#71 Mar 2, 2010
pierce wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand, I'm sure we all remember the French woman who underwent the world's first face transplant after her black lab removed her original face. That's a big nip.
I don't recall it being a black lab. Do you have a link?
Housewife Wannabee

Saint Paul, MN

#72 Mar 2, 2010
My little dog is a bitch. My 5 yr old daughter is always sneaking up on her and tormenting her. We must be hypervigalant to make sure this (teasing) doesn't happen. I have no idea why my daughter does it except I think she thinks it's "playing".

Clearly my dog does not always agree and sometimes growls. I've been trying to learn of ways to try to avoid my dog thinking she ranks higher than my daughter as a "pack member". Children and dogs can be volatile together. They should not be left alone. Luckily, my dog is only 20 lbs. but that doesn't mean something can't happen.

Since: Jun 09

Lincoln, NE

#73 Mar 2, 2010
I don't get that either when children think it's funny to scare an animal. Our kid thought it was funny to chase them with the vacuum cleaner. You do have to put a stop to it though. Animals have their space too, and kids need to learn to accept that, especially at the age you're talking about.
pierce

Saint Paul, MN

#74 Mar 2, 2010
MN Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall it being a black lab. Do you have a link?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4685202.stm

the google has many more links
Evil pets

Saint Paul, MN

#75 Mar 2, 2010
If people have, Tigers, snakes, Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Cougars & scorpions as pets, you or your children will be eaten or killed by them.
snakebite

Saint Paul, MN

#76 Mar 2, 2010
Evil pets wrote:
If people have, Tigers, snakes, Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Cougars & scorpions as pets, you or your children will be eaten or killed by them.
Interesting - neither me nor my parents were killed or eaten by the family rottweiler when I was growing up.

Imagine that.
The Voice of Reason

Fargo, ND

#77 Mar 2, 2010
snakebite wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting - neither me nor my parents were killed or eaten by the family rottweiler when I was growing up.
Imagine that.
How did you kill the rottweiler?
MN Observer

Gilbert, AZ

#78 Mar 2, 2010
pierce wrote:
<quoted text>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4685202.stm
the google has many more links
Ok, it was a lab. But it didn't kill her like a rottweiller or pit bull would.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#79 Mar 2, 2010
Cecelia wrote:
<quoted text> 1. If your wife's nephew was so knowledgeable about Rottweilers, why did he have one to begin with? 2.) If he "gets it", what happened to the dog when it was "ushered out"? Doesn't seem entirely responsible to me...
Well Cecelia, he had a Rottweiler before he had Children, just as I explained in my post. He gave it to his parents after the birth of his child, what is irresponsible about that?
special treatment

Minneapolis, MN

#80 Mar 2, 2010
Put the parents in jail. Dogs should not be allowed in homes where there are children. Cant the govt do something about this epidemic? We have too many dogs in this country that are attacking vulnerabe people. Let's euthanize them all. Oh, and the cats too.
Yeah Right

Saint Paul, MN

#81 Mar 2, 2010
Mpls wrote:
And it's so easy to forget--- All the times each and every breed has saved someone. Just a week or so ago a dog helped save a little girl. Rottweillers are known as one of the most protective family dogs in the world
Sounds to me like this particular Rottweiller wasn't too protective of the little family member girl he killed. Maybe it's just me. Hell of a theory though.
Nemo

Saint Paul, MN

#82 Mar 3, 2010
No, 40for60, you didn't explain what happened to the dog. Thank you for clarifying. Too often we hear about new parents who heartlessly dispose of a pet (either at a shelter, through outright abandonment, or through neglect) upon the birth of that all-too-precious baby.

As for the rest of it, random observations: Large dogs and small children seem to be a recipe for disaster.(A large dog may hurt a child unintentionally, out of bulk and sheer strength, or may make a misguided attempt at "calming" or "submission" behaviors by clamping on to a child's head, much as it would with an unruly or noisy puppy.) Research the behavior of dog breeds, and pick a breed accordingly. Dogs such as pit bulls and other bully breeds may be gentle, but they have extraordinarily powerful jaws: when they bite, it's clamp-on-and-hang-on, not the nip you'll get from a Chihuahua or a cocker spaniel. And, westwind, I'm sure we'd all love to hear about your mauling. That much hatred toward dogs has to have a truly juicy anecdotal foundation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OR Who do you support for Governor in Oregon in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 23 We Hate Coos Bay ... 204
Oregon Coast Whales - Guide to Whale Watching; ... Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
Oregon Coast Tsunami Debris Questions: What are... Jul '14 Aerostar P601 2
need white in seaside for 4th!! Jul '14 ajs85 2
Seaside Music Thread (May '12) Jun '14 Musikologist 13
Live Earthquake Updates from Oregon, Washington... Jun '14 permadeva 2
Touching Dead Oregon Coast Whale Could Mean Fin... (Jul '09) May '14 JoB 2
•••
•••
•••

Astoria Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000