8 injured on Adams roads Tuesday

8 injured on Adams roads Tuesday

There are 23 comments on the Evening Sun story from Aug 13, 2009, titled 8 injured on Adams roads Tuesday. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Eight people were injured in three separate vehicle accidents on Adams County roads Tuesday, two of which police attributed to wet road conditions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
raining like all get out

Scranton, PA

#1 Aug 13, 2009
Yeah all traffic was adverted down racetrack road with was like a flowing river. The tree s and telephone lines were swaying with limbs falling to the ground. Once you got to the end of race track road there was a traffic backed up on a washed out road. I think that when they were letting tractor trailers through 194;they should of let other vehicles through too. Conditions were way too iffy on race track rd.
John Styversen

United States

#2 Aug 13, 2009
duh, will no one ever learn, you actually have to drive a vehicle and pay attention when your're behind the wheel. Take all their licenses, not that it will matter. After all, it was the weathers fault it rained.
Lois

Mifflin, PA

#3 Aug 13, 2009
what if it was one of your familywhat wood
you say. tojohn styversen.Md
Dr JK

Carlisle, PA

#4 Aug 13, 2009
Could someone answer why the chopper was flying around the High School for 10 mins before landing. It would not have anything to due with the fact that Co 14 failed another call and Co 10 came down to cover for them. When is Oxford Twp. going to wakeup and see the daylight. The Twp. residents pay for emergency protection not a beer hall. I guess the residents will have to wait till someone dies before they do something about it. Thank GOD the Twp. has 33 & 10 to pickup the slack.
Amazed

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Aug 13, 2009
The twp residents pay for emergency protection? When did that start? Who do they pay and under what tax?
Dr JK

Carlisle, PA

#6 Aug 13, 2009
It's called fire tax!!!!! I don't know the exact figures. Here is an example! Every Twp, city, brourgh charge each property owner say 34 mils out of that 34 mils 4 mills is used to pay for fire protection, 4 mills for police protection ect ect. This money is used to pay for workers comp ins, hydrant rental, liability ins ect ect. By no means does this cover all the expences of the fire company. Plus each property owner pays homeowners insurance. Out of that comes funds that go to each fire company and that is know as the releif funds. Understand now
LocalRes

Mansfield, OH

#7 Aug 13, 2009
John Styversen wrote:
duh, will no one ever learn, you actually have to drive a vehicle and pay attention when your're behind the wheel. Take all their licenses, not that it will matter. After all, it was the weathers fault it rained.
I have to agree, even though an accident can happen to anyone, people, especially young kids, need to learn to slow down. The Rt 30 accident happened right up from my house, and I think it could have been avoided if they would have paid more attention and realized they were not invinsible. People die because of negligance like that.
kmcksdlf

Carlisle, PA

#8 Aug 13, 2009
Yeah but just throwing it out there, even if you've been driving for years, rt 30 is terrible to drive in the rain.
local

Hanover, PA

#9 Aug 13, 2009
Dr JK wrote:
Could someone answer why the chopper was flying around the High School for 10 mins before landing. It would not have anything to due with the fact that Co 14 failed another call and Co 10 came down to cover for them. When is Oxford Twp. going to wakeup and see the daylight. The Twp. residents pay for emergency protection not a beer hall. I guess the residents will have to wait till someone dies before they do something about it. Thank GOD the Twp. has 33 & 10 to pickup the slack.
The chopper was in the area returning from an earlier call! You must really have a grudge against Co. 14. Everything seems to be their fault according to you. All the local companies NEED each other. ALL of them scratch sometime or another. Grow up.
local

Hanover, PA

#10 Aug 13, 2009
Dr JK wrote:
It's called fire tax!!!!! I don't know the exact figures. Here is an example! Every Twp, city, brourgh charge each property owner say 34 mils out of that 34 mils 4 mills is used to pay for fire protection, 4 mills for police protection ect ect. This money is used to pay for workers comp ins, hydrant rental, liability ins ect ect. By no means does this cover all the expences of the fire company. Plus each property owner pays homeowners insurance. Out of that comes funds that go to each fire company and that is know as the releif funds. Understand now
FYI, Oxford splits the relief funds between the 2 fire companies. The State does allow for an actual fire tax, but Oxford does not impose one. Oxford's tax rate is only 3 mills, check your tax bill. Are you confusing your SCHOOL taxes with your local tax? Check your tax bills. OOPS, maybe you aren't even a resident, just like to blow off.
Dr JK

Carlisle, PA

#11 Aug 14, 2009
local wrote:
<quoted text>FYI, Oxford splits the relief funds between the 2 fire companies. The State does allow for an actual fire tax, but Oxford does not impose one. Oxford's tax rate is only 3 mills, check your tax bill. Are you confusing your SCHOOL taxes with your local tax? Check your tax bills. OOPS, maybe you aren't even a resident, just like to blow off.
"FYI" If you look a little closer you will see that I said it was an "EXAMPLE" Maybe you should go back to school and learn the definition of "EXAMPLE". I can see my school taxes were wasted on you!!!!!!!
Hanoverian

Rockville, MD

#12 Aug 14, 2009
Dr JK wrote:
The Twp. residents pay for emergency protection not a beer hall.
As "local" pointed out, Oxford Township does NOT have a fire tax. If you have a grudge against Co. 14 that's between you and them, but don't spread bad information and rumors.
Facts

Carlisle, PA

#13 Aug 14, 2009
Hanoverian wrote:
<quoted text>
As "local" pointed out, Oxford Township does NOT have a fire tax. If you have a grudge against Co. 14 that's between you and them, but don't spread bad information and rumors.
"Facts" Yes 14 gets money from Twp. Money came from Twp residents. "Fact" 14 failed another call. Where's the bad information and rumors.
Hanoverian

Rockville, MD

#14 Aug 14, 2009
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
"Facts" Yes 14 gets money from Twp. Money came from Twp residents. "Fact" 14 failed another call. Where's the bad information and rumors.
Co. 14 DOES get money from Oxford Township -- I never said it didn't. What I said was that Oxford Twp. does not levy a fire tax (Go to the township office and check. I have been a resident for years and did).

I don't disagree about them missing the call (I never said they didn't miss the call).....
Facts

Carlisle, PA

#15 Aug 14, 2009
Hanoverian wrote:
<quoted text>
Co. 14 DOES get money from Oxford Township -- I never said it didn't. What I said was that Oxford Twp. does not levy a fire tax (Go to the township office and check. I have been a resident for years and did).
I don't disagree about them missing the call (I never said they didn't miss the call).....
Did I say they have a fire tax. NO! I was just pointing out the "Facts"
Hanoverian

Rockville, MD

#16 Aug 14, 2009
Facts,

I am not going to get into an argument over semantics with you. Here are the "facts" about our posts:

- In Post #6 Dr JK stated that Oxford Twp residents pay a fire tax (ref his first 4 words of that post).
- In Post #12 I corrected the misinformation about the fire tax and noted that he was listing incorrect information.
- In Post #13 you quoted my previous post and asked where the bad information was -- that implies that you did not believe my correction to Dr JK that Oxford Twp does not have a fire tax.

I have no axe to grind with you, Dr JK, or Co. 14. I (like you) just want to get the facts out there. I don't like to see people respond with feelings rather than facts and so I try to steer these forums to fact-based discussions.
larry

Shippensburg, PA

#17 Aug 14, 2009
Dr JK wrote:
The amount that fire companies receive is just a drop in the bucket in comparison to the total expenses. If you want to pay completely for protection, get ready for your taxes to go through the roof.
local

Hanover, PA

#18 Aug 14, 2009
Dr JK wrote:
<quoted text>
"FYI" If you look a little closer you will see that I said it was an "EXAMPLE" Maybe you should go back to school and learn the definition of "EXAMPLE". I can see my school taxes were wasted on you!!!!!!!
I was quite aware you said EXAMPLE, however, that could lead a lot of people to believe the taxes are that HIGH. People in this area are always confusing the Municipal tax with the School tax. I would like to correct myself, after checking my tax bill, Oxford is at 3.5 mills. Based on the property values in Oxford, 1 mill would generate approx.$100,000 (source: Adams Co. Tax Office). Your example could mislead many people into believing the Township property taxes generate millions. It would have been just as easy for you to use a more realistic figure. Higher figures are usually used by people in order to incite public uproar.
The Township does receieve other revenue, but that is a different topic.
By the way, I can GUARANTEE that YOU did NOT pay for my education!
local

Hanover, PA

#19 Aug 14, 2009
To: Dr JK
I know there is a spelling error in the above! Did you find it?
elated muffins

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Aug 14, 2009
Your all ridiculous, arguing about taxes. I, one, hope dr. jk i slike a dr. dre, and not a real doctor, becasue i would feel uncomfortable with someone who argues and is defensive over forum posts, being in charge of my meds and any operations. I think we should all just focus on the actual accidents if u are going to be posting on here, and not the who taxing scenario.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aspers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mark Leer Sep 6 Ford Mercury 1
News Police: Teen girl sexually assault, videotaped (Mar '17) Sep 5 Davenport 8
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg Aug 25 Costard 10
News Man charged with raping girl Aug '17 Fitius T Bluster 6
News Cracking down on 'illegal immigration,' not a v... Jul '17 spytheweb 1
News Aspers Fire Co. dropped (Oct '10) Jul '17 Lil 83
News Aspers teen denied bail in stabbing case (Oct '06) May '17 robin watson 23

Aspers Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance