Aspers Fire Co. dropped

Aspers Fire Co. dropped

There are 82 comments on the Evening Sun story from Oct 20, 2010, titled Aspers Fire Co. dropped. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

About a year after concerns were raised over the financial practices of the Aspers Fire Co., four municipalities have now dropped the 90-year-old department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Former Chief

Sylvania, GA

#1 Oct 21, 2010
WOW Sorry to hear of another volunteer fire company having trouble in my home county.1st Kingsdale now Aspers. A lot of Old Timers are turning in their graves. Happy Days Wayne
bob

Lancaster, PA

#2 Oct 21, 2010
former chief if you knew what this guys does runs and keeps fire company money @ his resisdence . the wife and himself write checks noone else co signs. he acts like his money and A HISSS FIRE COMPANY. alot of people including the township has no clue what this family has done to this fire co. yes I know first hand. it is shame another departmemt has to close . I know it is the best for the area. I CAN'T SEE HOW THE TOWNSHIP CANT SEE WHERE THE MONEY WENT SAME AS THE AUDITOR GENERAL.
Old News

United States

#3 Oct 21, 2010
This was in the Gettysburg Times yesterday. Try to stay up to date.
Why

Hanover, PA

#4 Oct 21, 2010
There is no one family or one person that runs a fire department anywhere. There is no one person that can close a fire comapny so lets not point fingers at one or two people it ain't happening. The companies are an entire membership not one or two people. Fire companies are held accountable for all their actions not just some, especially if tax dollars are involved.
Believe it

York, PA

#5 Oct 21, 2010
Why would he need to keep money at his house?? Plain and simple here - he did wrong, the money is missing, so where is it?? He and his family need to get out of the company and others need to step in and take charge. Was there ever an investigation done on them? Other than the attorney general?
facts

Cascade, MD

#6 Oct 21, 2010
Hopefully the media will investigate the allegations of both sides of the story this time. There IS a lot more to the story than what Mr. Alexander is saying!
NotConcernedPROC asino

Westminster, MD

#7 Oct 21, 2010
I have heard rumors that their ambulance had got repossessed. Is this true as well?
local citizen

Duncannon, PA

#8 Oct 21, 2010
YES one person can destroy a company, it happen to Hanover comp #1.
It all revolved around money, when will people wake up, any issues involving money should be handled by someone other then a company member.
They are plenty of businesses available to handle money issue, hire then, don’t take the chance that a member might have sticky fingers.
Remember money taken from the public must be used for its intended purposes.
Money generated by the ambulance must be used for the ambulance not to but equipment for the fire trucks. That’s called misappropriation of funds, and it’s illegal.
facts

Cascade, MD

#9 Oct 21, 2010
Yes...it was out of service a few months ago for that reason. They tried to bring in Caring Hearts to cover the area. Now that is scary!!!!
NotConcernedPROCasino wrote:
I have heard rumors that their ambulance had got repossessed. Is this true as well?
Old News

United States

#10 Oct 21, 2010
According to the Gettysburg Times, the ambulance was taken out of service in April.
Its A Shame

Carlisle, PA

#11 Oct 21, 2010
NotConcernedPROCasino wrote:
I have heard rumors that their ambulance had got repossessed. Is this true as well?
Yes, that is true. It did get repossessed.
It's a shame to see another fire house being dropped but the townships have to look out for the best interest of their community. I have seen and heard Aspers going on calls with only the driver. Then when they do get to the calls, they just stand around because they don't know what they are doing or they can't even pump water. Tell me, what good are they if that is the kind of protection they provide??
Isn't it funny, when you go out on Asper's website, it states that Mr. Alexander is EMS Captain. If he has stepped down offically as an officer, he shouldn't be EMS Captain and "regular" members can't run red lights, only certain officers can, so if you aren't an officer, how can Mr. Alexander run red lights?
Things have been fishy at Aspers for awhile now. It's about time the townships step up and take control.
Watcher

Alexandria, VA

#12 Oct 21, 2010
Can you say Grangeville or Hanover Co.#1?
MD Dude

Westminster, MD

#13 Oct 21, 2010
Watcher wrote:
Can you say Grangeville or Hanover Co.#1?
They are merging with Kingsdale, the new company will be called
"Kaspers" Sort of like Casper the ghost, since you wont see them running any calls.
Tater

Gettysburg, PA

#14 Oct 21, 2010
The townships,, the areas served,, this is all bullshit!!! A volunteer fire co. should be able to serve anywhere it wants to with in reason,, The townships should not get their damn noses involved in something thats out there to protect the public!!This fire co. has fund raisers & the public attends,therefore they should be able to serve the public!! These townships in pa. are the biggest crock I've ever seen. They need to concentrate on keeping the roads open so a VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY can do its job,, not try to run the fire co. & the township both!!!!
common sense

Gettysburg, PA

#15 Oct 21, 2010
Tater wrote:
The townships,, the areas served,, this is all ****!!! A volunteer fire co. should be able to serve anywhere it wants to with in reason,, The townships should not get their damn noses involved in something thats out there to protect the public!!This fire co. has fund raisers & the public attends,therefore they should be able to serve the public!! These townships in pa. are the biggest crock I've ever seen. They need to concentrate on keeping the roads open so a VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY can do its job,, not try to run the fire co. & the township both!!!!
Tater,
The township not only has a right but a responsibility to involve themselves in fire company business. It there responsibility to provide public safety for the residents of the community. If the fire department has financial issues then that is a cause for concern to the township. Case and point is Aspers ambulance. It was out of service because it was reposesed. If that happens then they cannot provide the service and the townships need to look elsewhere. In closing, get off of your volunteer firefighters should not be held accountable horse and step into the 21st century.
rksjgi

Gettysburg, PA

#16 Oct 21, 2010
The "Township" has been paying their workmans comp insurance for years and without that they would not have been able to operate as fire company. That's not the townships law, that's the state law! Since the township paid their insurance they have every damn right to know where the monies are going and when proper documentation is not provided by this company after almost a year of asking for it, then the township had every right to quit paying their insurance and shut them down!
Wait

Dallas, TX

#17 Oct 21, 2010
facts wrote:
Yes...it was out of service a few months ago for that reason. They tried to bring in Caring Hearts to cover the area. Now that is scary!!!!<quoted text>
Is there any proof that they wanted to bring Caring Hearts to cover or was it just a rumor?
Why

Hanover, PA

#18 Oct 21, 2010
Local Citizen show where income of EMS owned by a fire company can't be sued for anything but EMS and not for anything else in the fire company. Where in Commonwealth rule does this fall, I need educated by someone that says they know. I always thought EMS and fire was to work together but apparently you have issues with that. If I remember you posted something in those lines before, but please educate me on this law.
local citizen

Duncannon, PA

#19 Oct 21, 2010
Why wrote:
Local Citizen show where income of EMS owned by a fire company can't be sued for anything but EMS and not for anything else in the fire company. Where in Commonwealth rule does this fall, I need educated by someone that says they know. I always thought EMS and fire was to work together but apparently you have issues with that. If I remember you posted something in those lines before, but please educate me on this law.
PA crimes code:

§ 3922. Theft by deception.
(a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of theft if he
intentionally obtains or withholds property of another by
deception. A person deceives if he intentionally:
(1) creates or reinforces a false impression, including
false impressions as to law, value, intention or other state
of mind; but deception as to a person's intention to perform
a promise shall not be inferred from the fact alone that he
did not subsequently perform the promise;
(2) prevents another from acquiring information which
would affect his judgment of a transaction; or
(3) fails to correct a false impression which the
deceiver previously created or reinforced, or which the
deceiver knows to be influencing another to whom he stands in
a fiduciary or confidential relationship.
Frank Troska

Ruther Glen, VA

#20 Oct 21, 2010
so, someones had their hand in the cash drawer remodeling their house or whatever which is what the audit will show, jail time for the family when it finally comes out. One company closes because of perverts and now this one for financial discrepancies, I'd let my house burn before I let either one of these hoodlums near it.

SCUMBAGS, all of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aspers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Biglerville man caught stealing woman's underwe... (Jul '15) Sep 18 Panty Sniffer 6
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug '16 honest3tax2collec... 1
News Former Carroll Valley officer charged with corr... (Feb '14) May '16 Davenport 15
News Man sentenced for spitting on state trooper, br... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9
News Adams County man accused of propositioning boy ... (Jan '16) Feb '16 Davenport 8
News Gettysburg man sentenced in burglary case (Aug '14) Aug '14 Steve Gratman 2

Aspers Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aspers Mortgages