Cheers & Jeers, Oct. 24, 2010

Cheers & Jeers, Oct. 24, 2010

There are 11 comments on the Evening Sun story from Oct 23, 2010, titled Cheers & Jeers, Oct. 24, 2010. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

JEERS to Bermudian Springs school officials on their recent decision to install video surveillance cameras throughout the campus area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Conservetive and Proud

East Berlin, PA

#1 Oct 24, 2010
Wait a second. Are you complaining that the Bermudian School district is trying to protect our kids BEFORE something happens. Do you think the parents at Columbine were angry that there were cameras in the school aiding the police the day of that massacre. Think people, think. Cameras in the school is a growing trend across the country and while their everyday use is to watch for loitering, vandalism and theft, they are also the only eyes that law enforcement may have in the event of a major catastrophe. I am all for privacy but what exactly is your beef with cameras on campus? If you aren't breaking any laws than why are you worried that someone is watching? What difference would it make if Bermudian hired a security force that would probably cost more than $100k (or more)per year or installing a video system to do in essence the same thing at no charge to the district. And instead of a security officer having to commit everything he sees to memory, it is actually captured and saved? You site traffic cameras as well. If you don't run a red light you don't get a ticket right? If you break the law you get a ticket so why is that a bad thing. Just because a police officer can't be everywhere at one time you didn't break the law? No you still broke the law and so their is a price to pay for that. I just don't get the argument. My dad used to say that character is what you are when no one is looking. Cameras are nothing more than a 24 hour extension of law enforcement. I know that I want to know who is vandalizing school property, I want to know who is stealing from the school, school officials want to know who is violating school policy. If an event such as Columbine or Virginia Tech happens again, I want law enforcement to have every tool available to them to protect my kids that are in the school. You letter says that you know that the cameras will help to deter vandalism. To me that statement says it all. The less money the school district spends on repairing vandalism the more it can spend on our kids. Best part is, they didn't spend our tax dollars to buy it. It is almost like a free insurance policy.
Liberal rag

Hanover, PA

#2 Oct 24, 2010
Typical liberal response from this newspaper. They obviously don't live in this district. If there taxes were going up because of vandalism maybe they would think differently about this issue.

When was the last time we cared about what the evening sun thought anyway. I love reading it on-line for free anyway.

Since: Sep 10

Carlisle, PA

#3 Oct 24, 2010
Let's treat all the kids like hardened criminals. Hey, when do we start giving them bar codes and implanting RFID chips in their skin so we can track them anywhere they go? I mean, hell, we've already forced them to give up every constutional right they have as US citizens for the "privilidge" of going to school - not that they have a choice, since if they don't, they are fined for truancy and can (and are) thrown in jail!
Ross

Carlisle, PA

#4 Oct 24, 2010
Does anyone think that we also might need surveillance on the teachers, the adminsitration, and the school board?
bubbie fusselman

Hanover, PA

#5 Oct 24, 2010
We also need surveillance on Ross.
Oh yea

Hanover, PA

#6 Oct 25, 2010
Ross wrote:
Does anyone think that we also might need surveillance on the teachers, the adminsitration, and the school board?
Guidance at SWSD needs cameras for those shenanigans.
fed up

Hanover, PA

#7 Oct 25, 2010
way to go bermudian springs school district.....i applaud you for installing the cameras......thanks for going that extra mile to protect our children....all those that complain about this....well just remember that...when god forbid something happens there and your child is safe because of those cameras.......excellant job bermudian springs!!!!!!!!
Cmon Man

Elliottsburg, PA

#8 Oct 26, 2010
JEERS for Bermudian School District trying to protect our kids?!!! I hope every other school in the area follows this 'bad' example.

Since: Sep 10

Carlisle, PA

#9 Oct 26, 2010
To "fed up" and "Cmon Man" - I suppose 1982 by George Orwell seemed like a utopia to you, then?
China Woman

Gettysburg, PA

#10 Oct 26, 2010
Conservetive and Proud wrote:
Wait a second. Are you complaining that the Bermudian School district is trying to protect our kids BEFORE something happens. Do you think the parents at Columbine were angry that there were cameras in the school aiding the police the day of that massacre. Think people, think. Cameras in the school is a growing trend across the country and while their everyday use is to watch for loitering, vandalism and theft, they are also the only eyes that law enforcement may have in the event of a major catastrophe. I am all for privacy but what exactly is your beef with cameras on campus? If you aren't breaking any laws than why are you worried that someone is watching? What difference would it make if Bermudian hired a security force that would probably cost more than $100k (or more)per year or installing a video system to do in essence the same thing at no charge to the district. And instead of a security officer having to commit everything he sees to memory, it is actually captured and saved? You site traffic cameras as well. If you don't run a red light you don't get a ticket right? If you break the law you get a ticket so why is that a bad thing. Just because a police officer can't be everywhere at one time you didn't break the law? No you still broke the law and so their is a price to pay for that. I just don't get the argument. My dad used to say that character is what you are when no one is looking. Cameras are nothing more than a 24 hour extension of law enforcement. I know that I want to know who is vandalizing school property, I want to know who is stealing from the school, school officials want to know who is violating school policy. If an event such as Columbine or Virginia Tech happens again, I want law enforcement to have every tool available to them to protect my kids that are in the school. You letter says that you know that the cameras will help to deter vandalism. To me that statement says it all. The less money the school district spends on repairing vandalism the more it can spend on our kids. Best part is, they didn't spend our tax dollars to buy it. It is almost like a free insurance policy.
I have two words. YOU'RE WRONG. My kids are Bermudian Students. It is a rural school district and compared to all the other school districts in York and Adams - it is pretty tame. A lot, did I say, a lot more good kids than bad. I would not sent my kids to a school where they were "at risk" with our without cameras. Put that money into educational opportunities for all the many good kids at that school - do not spend precious money to spy on the bad kids. Newsflash! A few cameras are NOT going to stop Columbine or VTech style shootings....last time I checked cameras don't monitor feelings and cameras won't stop it wants it starts. Bye.Bye.
Conservetive and Proud

East Berlin, PA

#11 Oct 27, 2010
China Woman wrote:
<quoted text>
I have two words. YOU'RE WRONG. My kids are Bermudian Students. It is a rural school district and compared to all the other school districts in York and Adams - it is pretty tame. A lot, did I say, a lot more good kids than bad. I would not sent my kids to a school where they were "at risk" with our without cameras. Put that money into educational opportunities for all the many good kids at that school - do not spend precious money to spy on the bad kids. Newsflash! A few cameras are NOT going to stop Columbine or VTech style shootings....last time I checked cameras don't monitor feelings and cameras won't stop it wants it starts. Bye.Bye.
Well China Woman, my kids also go to Bermudian Springs Schools and I also know the district is pretty tame. I also know there are far more good kids than bad ones in our schools but there are still some that vandalize the building every year. Also, that has nothing to do with someone that may come in from outside. Have you forgotten about the people last school year that were on school property during the school day that precipitated the police having to come and do a search of the area and found two people that had no real business being on the grounds? Camera's would have been a nice tool for the police that day. And just how do you know the cameras won't stop a large scale problem? Even if they don't stop it, it gives law enforcement a tool to use to figure out where the perpetrators may be within the school.

Furthermore, the district was awarded a grant to pay for the security system and as such, no district money was spent on the new upgraded security system. As I understood the parameters of the grant it wasn't for educational systems. That is a different type of grant. When you are given a grant it has to be used for the purpose stated by the grant issuing body ie you can't use a grant for security systems to buy books.

The school district is run by inept and self serving people for sure but when they do something that is actually a positive thing ie getting outside funding to provide a higher level of security and to save money on repairs because of vandalism, you have to give them credit for that.

Cameras don't monitor feelings? What in the world does that mean? Get real, stop drinking the kumbaya juice and look at the world around you. It is changing whether you want to be a part of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aspers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug 18 honest3tax2collec... 1
News Former Carroll Valley officer charged with corr... (Feb '14) May '16 Davenport 15
News Man sentenced for spitting on state trooper, br... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Cumberland County bridge replacement plans now ... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9
News Adams County man accused of propositioning boy ... (Jan '16) Feb '16 Davenport 8
News Gettysburg man sentenced in burglary case (Aug '14) Aug '14 Steve Gratman 2

Aspers Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aspers Mortgages