Aspers thefts probed

Aspers thefts probed

There are 27 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 12, 2009, titled Aspers thefts probed. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The fire company that's been recently cut from two of its four townships and removed its own chief has another issue on its plate - the theft of more than $6,000 worth of equipment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tin lizzie

San Antonio, TX

#1 Mar 13, 2009
there's been questionable things going on there for many years.
Sorry World

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Mar 13, 2009
Funny that thye were in trouble with the Attorney General's office and now they have a theft.
Pa Resident

Baltimore, MD

#3 Mar 13, 2009
sounds fishy if you ask me
Local

Mountville, PA

#4 Mar 13, 2009
why was the chief voted out by the members, sounds like they should be investigating the former chief.
Honest

Hershey, PA

#5 Mar 13, 2009
Sounds like they should shut the doors and go home.
Helter Skelter

Taylor, PA

#6 Mar 13, 2009
They voted the Chief out because he told the local municipalities about the bullshite going on at the FD. Its all family run there, and he was not family.
wow

York, PA

#7 Mar 13, 2009
I always heard that the gun drawings they had were rigged...its funny when I went I never knew half of the people that attended? Kinda weird for a tight knit community like Aspers. But never really heard of anyone winning the big prizes either. I know their old chief too and I wouldnt let him lead a parade...let alone a fire department!
irony

Williamstown, NJ

#8 Mar 13, 2009
They have come up with an inventory of items to show where their Relief money went. Seems kind of ironic that all of the of the items that were listed as stolen are relief items they would have to account for!
Rich

Gettysburg, PA

#9 Mar 13, 2009
All the more reason for Aspers and Bendersville Fire Companies to merge.
Local Yokel

United States

#10 Mar 14, 2009
You wouldn't even believe how far back this goes and how petty it all is. Sad that the safety our our communities are jeopardized by long ago insignificant disagreements between families involving Cumberland Co. Fire Dept. officials also. So now we have two Dept. within a mile of each other, neither with significant resources that combined together, could save money and provide better service to the community. Hopefully, some of the "new blood" moving in the area become involved and take control from these incompetent grudge holders. Pathetic...make sure you have working smoke detectors and a few fire extinguishers and hope you don't have to really RELY on these people.....sad.
Local Yokel Dad

United States

#11 Mar 14, 2009
I can remember many years ago when a local fruit grower by the name of Hutton offered the Aspers and Bendersville Fire Departments enough land to merge together and build a huge building half-way between the two localities. They could have had the biggest and best fire department in the area. But because of feuding between certain individuals and outside influence: (A Cumberland County Fire Department), this project never was started. Since then, Aspers has built their own new building and Bendersville has followed suit. Both companies are trying to draw funds from the same communities and townships. I've had idiots indicate to me that they would refuse service from Aspers even if it were a life and death situation. I also know of instances where these individuals have followed through with their statements. I have news for those ignorant people, if I were ever involved in a life-threatening situation, I don't care if Tom, Dick, or Harry picked me up, I want to be taken care of by the first department there. All of this feuding will someday back-fire and may wind up in having someone die for nothing. It's amazing what stupid egos can change communities. Just think, if they would have stopped crying like little babies, and acted like intelligent adults over the years, the surrounding communities could go to bed at night feeling secure instead of wondering if your fire companies are going to fight against each other or fight YOUR fire.
Big Brother

New Oxford, PA

#12 Mar 14, 2009
I've witnessed accidents at the intersection of Carlisle and Aspers-Bendersville Road. If the cars land on the Bendersville side of the intersection, both companies respond, but Aspers ambulance and fire crews stay on their side of the intersection and watch and do nothing because they are not allowed to assist. Same thing happens if the cars land on the Aspers side of the intersection--Bendersville stands on their side of the intersection and watch. Heaven help you if you land in the middle of Rt. 34 in the middle of the road, you'll be dead til they get done arguing how much of your body lies on which "side of the line" to claim the ability to administer aid. Pathetic!
Resident-Menalle n Twp

York, PA

#13 Mar 14, 2009
I totally agree with "Local Yokel, Local Yokel Dad and Big Brother (all related?)" that this really does need settled once and for all. However, these three individuals should read all of the other information that's out there right now about how is and who is not doing their jobs before casting such blind observations. Where I wouldn't agree with them is regarding their statements about the competency level and commitment of our Volunteers, in particular the service rendered by the men and women of the Bendersville Community Fire Company. Time and time again, I have personally witnessed the amount of highly trained personnel that they bring to incidents as well as how professionally they handle operations at an accident scene or on the firegrounds. Iím saying this as a resident who knows and sees many of them personally since I live and work in the community as their neighbors. While I do make sure my smoke detectors and fire extinguishers work (as we all should do), I do not doubt the Volunteer force from Company 7 who have protected my family and our home for more than a decade. Thanks for the great service that you folks provide for our community everyday!!!
Local Yokel

United States

#14 Mar 14, 2009
I didn't say I wasn't thankful for the service, or that they were incompetent in the performance of their safety related duties, it's the POWER TRIPPING and petty bickering that has to be stopped between the two. I get a little tired of hearing the whining from BOTH about not having enough money, equipment, manpower, when combined, they could make so much better use of their resources and not be trying to "double dip" the already limited local economic resources of the residents. Have you opened you Spring tax bill yet? I don't know about you but I moved here initially because it was close to my original home, rural, quiet, secluded and CHEAP. I am about tapped out and I'm probably better off than a lot of average residents, and thankful for it, but I certainly feel like I'm losing ground, and every day when I pass the fruit plants on the way to work, knowing what the people there make for their labors, I wonder how they can possibly be staying afloat if I'm having difficulty. If Adams County wants to keep up with the rest of the REAL world, prepare our children to live in it and provide the best we can for them, we have to stop being so "local" minded. We are a rural county and I personally would like it to stay that way, but we have to all pull together more as a team thinking in COUNTY terms to help each other KEEP it that way no matter what type of services we are providing, less administration is ALWAYS a money saver, and I certainly would rather have one large GOOD carnival with larger acts and ride/entertainment options that would be worth spending a few evenings at and dropping a nice chunk of money than trying to divide my time between so many smaller companies and all their seperate meals, raffles and other fundraisers. If you are truly a "long time local" you KNOW about the petty insquabbling over the years between the two, which ultimately serves no real purpose but the power tripping "I'm better than you" egos of the few. It's time to put aside petty differences, we are ALL in this together. I personally know people who are on both sides of the fence and think it's time to GROW UP ALREADY and take care of each other properly like so many of the conservative hardliners around here CLAIM to believe in so fiercely, however, through their own actions, show their hypocrisy quite clearly.
Ex Bendrsville Resident

Mechanicsburg, PA

#15 Mar 15, 2009
As for the comments on the merger of these two departments from years ago. Your info is incorrect in some of its statements. The merger probably would have happened if the membership of the Aspers Fire Department would have waited to build their new station. I was a member of both departments at different times and the Aspers department has always had trouble from within!!!!! They are the ones who cause the problem. It is time for the townships and residents who support them to say enough is enough. Aspers, shut your doors!!!!!!
Concerned citizen

York, PA

#16 Mar 15, 2009
Ex Bendersville Resident is speaking the honest truth in their posting. For much more current information, please visit the Evening Sun's site where at least 4 articles have ran over the past 3 months about some of the problems from within. We need more residents of this area to research and inform themselves about what has been going on and then demand accountability from our township and borough officials.
irony

Mansfield, OH

#17 Mar 15, 2009
There is no power trip here! If you investigate a little further you will find several of the mutual aid dept that are closest Aspers have started to remove them for responding in their area's. This is not power trip but is in fact the culmination of several decades of incompetent leadership and service from the Aspers Fire Dept! I ask you, would you take a hose into the house fire off of their engine knowing full well that the operator is unable to get water from the pumper (documented proof of this can be found). The fact is they can not be trusted to back any dept up! Let's remember it's not just Bendersville that is tired of their issues! I know 2 other dept's right beside them that are too scared step up and say anything!The old saying is you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it! The sooner that idiot Louis "Jake" Alexander and the rest of his family are out of there the better that dept will be!
Local Yokel wrote:
I didn't say I wasn't thankful for the service, or that they were incompetent in the performance of their safety related duties, it's the POWER TRIPPING and petty bickering that has to be stopped between the two. I get a little tired of hearing the whining from BOTH about not having enough money, equipment, manpower, when combined, they could make so much better use of their resources and not be trying to "double dip" the already limited local economic resources of the residents. Have you opened you Spring tax bill yet? I don't know about you but I moved here initially because it was close to my original home, rural, quiet, secluded and CHEAP. I am about tapped out and I'm probably better off than a lot of average residents, and thankful for it, but I certainly feel like I'm losing ground, and every day when I pass the fruit plants on the way to work, knowing what the people there make for their labors, I wonder how they can possibly be staying afloat if I'm having difficulty. If Adams County wants to keep up with the rest of the REAL world, prepare our children to live in it and provide the best we can for them, we have to stop being so "local" minded. We are a rural county and I personally would like it to stay that way, but we have to all pull together more as a team thinking in COUNTY terms to help each other KEEP it that way no matter what type of services we are providing, less administration is ALWAYS a money saver, and I certainly would rather have one large GOOD carnival with larger acts and ride/entertainment options that would be worth spending a few evenings at and dropping a nice chunk of money than trying to divide my time between so many smaller companies and all their seperate meals, raffles and other fundraisers. If you are truly a "long time local" you KNOW about the petty insquabbling over the years between the two, which ultimately serves no real purpose but the power tripping "I'm better than you" egos of the few. It's time to put aside petty differences, we are ALL in this together. I personally know people who are on both sides of the fence and think it's time to GROW UP ALREADY and take care of each other properly like so many of the conservative hardliners around here CLAIM to believe in so fiercely, however, through their own actions, show their hypocrisy quite clearly.
Local Yokel

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2009
Wow, you all just played right into what I said, didn't you. You couldn't have proved my point much better...he said, she said, they did, they didn't, nyeh, nyeh, nyeh, nyeh nyeh....listen to yourselves. I hit the nail on the head, you all just are too stubborn to admit it. Please keep this going, I'm quite entertained....
irony

Williamstown, NJ

#19 Mar 16, 2009
These are very real life and death situations that are happening here! When something does happen I'm sure you will be the first to say "why didn't somebody do something about it before?" Tell ya what local yokel why don't leave the serious issues for those that will step get the job done!
Local Yokel wrote:
Wow, you all just played right into what I said, didn't you. You couldn't have proved my point much better...he said, she said, they did, they didn't, nyeh, nyeh, nyeh, nyeh nyeh....listen to yourselves. I hit the nail on the head, you all just are too stubborn to admit it. Please keep this going, I'm quite entertained....
Local Yokel

Middletown, PA

#20 Mar 16, 2009
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying...LIFE and DEATH situations...meanwhile, for DECADES the pettiness continues. Please continue with your rants, I have a full time job already plus a family. I'm not part of the "infighting" community, I'm just a citizen standing by, watching all the finger pointing, while nothing is getting done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aspers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Father's Day Weekend in Gettysburg Jul 3 Davenport 21
News Half Pint Creamery plans second ice cream shop Mar '15 Fannie Pak 2
News Man wanted in connection with a sexual assault ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Crystal Ball 1
News Brian C. McCauslin Courtesy: Somerset County Pr... (Jun '11) Oct '14 bleuone 23
News Cumberland County man dies on railroad tracks (Mar '09) Oct '14 Jim Stephens 26
Debate: Gay Marriage - Mount Holly Springs, PA (May '11) Sep '14 KiMare 17
plane (Sep '14) Sep '14 Pink Eye 4
More from around the web

Aspers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Aspers Mortgages