Carrie Newsom says environmental conc...

Carrie Newsom says environmental concerns lead her to favor a statewide ban on plastic grocery bags.

There are 4 comments on the Medford Mail Tribune story from Jul 17, 2010, titled Carrie Newsom says environmental concerns lead her to favor a statewide ban on plastic grocery bags.. In it, Medford Mail Tribune reports that:

However, she asks that politicians ensure there is a viable alternative in place before pushing through legislation imposing a ban on plastic bags at checkout counters across Oregon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Medford Mail Tribune.

On The Dole

San Antonio, TX

#1 Jul 17, 2010
"...State Sens. Jason Atkinson, R-Central Point, and Mark Hass, D-Beaverton, drafted plastic-bag-ban legislation in February and hope to get it passed in the 2011 legislative session.
Atkinson, who is a proponent of efforts to clean waterways and improve fish runs, said he believes barring grocers from relying on plastic bags would be a good environmental and economic move for Oregon..."

We've got us a local politician who is more interested in maintaining "happy fish", than the whopping 14% electric rate increase coming to your future monthly bills.
I can prove that a TRILLION plastic bags in our local landfill won't upset Atkinson's fish!
Lets vote this left wingnut out, and return Southern Oregon to some badly needed common sense.
Gallaher

Oakland, OR

#2 Jul 22, 2010
Whatever...let's see the increase in paper bags used. Then they'll complain about the (renewable) resources being used. Recent study proved that reusing bags (the kind you bring from home), causes a huge increase in bacteria... duh.

sheesh, is this the level of intelligence we voted into office????

Agreed, vote her out.
On The Dole

San Antonio, TX

#3 Jul 23, 2010
This isn't about what's "best" for the environment.
It is about Atkinson finding favor with the Greenies, a large voting base, especially from Eugene, north to Portland. I'll wager Jason is thinking about another try at the governor's race, and like all politicians, he'll say anything to get elected.

Jason doesn't like plastic bags littering the rivers,(who does?). But, address littering, not plastic bags. Bad behavior is the issue here, but don't confuse Jason with the facts or common sense.
Oregon is Disgusting

Sherwood, OR

#4 Aug 3, 2010
Southern Oregon has nothing in it.

Who cares about southern Oregon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 3 Best Pizza Restaurants in Medford, Oregon (Sep '09) Jul 8 Wolfdog 11
Tell me all the good and bad about Medford. Jul 1 Wolfdog 1
News Walmart thief lassoed: Rancher on horseback tak... Jun '16 Donna Bevck 1
Child Rear View Jun '16 Introspective 1
News Woman files sexual harassment lawsuit against A... May '16 Stop and think 1
News Excavators demolish dam to boost salmon migration (Aug '15) Aug '15 PJofGrantsPass 1
moving to oregon (Sep '06) Jul '15 Refugee 180

Ashland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ashland Mortgages