Family of 4 killed in Highway 12 crash

Full story: The Reporter

A father, daughter and two grandparents were killed when their car was bumped by a big rig into oncoming traffic on Highway 12 early Thursday morning, authorities said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Jun 8, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I wonder

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

I wonder if this is where I almost died years ago. Right after you come off of 80 and just past red top road, as you go up the hill, there is a definite blind spot. If traffic is at a complete stop you wont see it until too late. I drove that freeway for years and never saw traffic at a dead stop until that ill fated morning. So sad , may their surviving family be comforted in this terrible time.
BillyinRioVisty

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Very sad.
I'm seeing more trucks (and some cars) weaving across the line, and when you get a good look at the driver, there is a cell phone in their hands.
Yerz

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

I wonder wrote:
I wonder if this is where I almost died years ago. Right after you come off of 80 and just past red top road, as you go up the hill, there is a definite blind spot. If traffic is at a complete stop you wont see it until too late. I drove that freeway for years and never saw traffic at a dead stop until that ill fated morning. So sad , may their surviving family be comforted in this terrible time.
This happened right after the merge by Chardonnay Golf Course on the Napa side of 12.
Big Daddy

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Three generations of one family killed by big rig messup. Big rigs should be banned from Jamison Canyon.
getoverit

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Big Daddy wrote:
Three generations of one family killed by big rig messup. Big rigs should be banned from Jamison Canyon.
I totally agree,Jamison Canyon is such a dangerous road.My prayers are with the family.
MadGrandma

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

The road through the canyon should be a four lane road all the way. This is the second family that has been wiped out by a big rig in that stretch of road in the last few years. I just can't imagine the pain that the rest of their family is experiencing right now. How many more are going to die before the state will cough up some funds? Oh wait they are too busy in the state legislature banning plastic grocery bags. Human lives are just not that important here in the "Golden State".
Selmers

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Judged:

Yes, lets ban trucks! Great f'ing idea! Then we can ban cars! I know, lets ban roads! You F'ing idiot!
Vaca Citizen

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Judged:

Selmers wrote:
Yes, lets ban trucks! Great **** idea! Then we can ban cars! I know, lets ban roads! You **** idiot!
No need to ban them, they just need to crack down on them and enforce laws and regulations against them.
silly people

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

That is a dangerous stretch of road. It should be 4 lanes plus a center divider to prevent these type of accidents in the future. Highway 12 is a major artery and is a critical link to Napa and Sonoma county. If we could dig out of our financial mess, the state could be improving this blood alley.
Johnny Tyler

San Pablo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

What is worthless Caltrans waiting for to put up a center Median? How many people have to die on that death trap. Get a Fuycking clue people.
Simsbury resident

Bloomfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

I live in Connecticut. The Smith's live in the neighborhood behind us. I did not know them well, but have heard of how nice they are from others who know them better. Their daughter (who is also a sister and aunt of the victims) lives nearby. I can't imagine how devastating this is for her and other family members to lose so many in their family in one terrible morning. Please add the surviving members of their family to your thoughts and prayers.
HugnRelease

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

My prayers and thoughts are with their family. What a horrible tragedy.

“A55clown Antwan's obsession”

Since: Oct 08

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Such a horrible tragedy. Something HAS to be done with that road.

Since: Apr 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Condolences to the family, when your number is up its up, no amount of 'prevention' on the road will change that.
Millions of cars and people travel Hwy 12 every year we do have a few accidents. Death happens on every road at one time or another.
They lowered the speed limit to 45mph going to Rio Vista from Fairfield and nobody wants to do 45 they all pass you like crazy if you do the speed limit, they tail gate you, pass on double yellow lines, honk their horns until the road opens up again, its nerve wracking at any speed.
MUSH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

The big rigs are driving way to fast and close to other cars for their size!!! I hope the driver goes to jail for a long time because it could have been prevented had he been going a safe speed!!! Prayers to the family.
Mike

Castro Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

If the Chippies and Sheriff deputies were actually patrolling the highway during their shifts instead of feeding their damn faces with donuts & coffee, HWY 12 might be a safer route.
Clay Akin

Beacon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

At least they died happy with hopes and plans for the day.
Bill

Cupertino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Selmers wrote:
Yes, lets ban trucks! Great **** idea! Then we can ban cars! I know, lets ban roads! You **** idiot!
Hey nitz...

Trucks are the reason that Jamieson Canyon Road gets bogged down most of the time. That road would be a nice 8-10 minute bypass without the big trucks on it.

Ban only the tractor trailers & have them divert to Hwy 37 and north on Hwy 29.
wow

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

I drive to Napa every day. Big rigs and the bigger box trucks should be banned. There are too many close calls.
Zzzzzzzzzz

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

That stretch of HWY 12 is very dangerous. It is stop-go all the time and the big trucks need to slow down. 12 often has big rigs on it in the morning and afternoon. Any chance that the truck drivers were in this country illegally? At the minimum, I hope the CHP did a blood test.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ashland Discussions

Search the Ashland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
anyone need black 18 hr Neverbackdown88 2
Review: Lucky Chimney & Dryer Vent Service Mon Ruchian 1
Did anyone know Quinn Berry? (Feb '10) Aug 17 saribery 5
Rainwater collection case leads to jail sentenc... (Jul '12) Aug 6 watchman 3
Medford man dies in rollover accident on Old St... (Jun '13) Aug 6 klh 3
moving to oregon (Sep '06) Jul 27 dakota 173
Council to look at a weekly shelter (Jan '13) Jul 21 Poor Tom O Bedlam 2
•••
•••